Jun 30, 2013, 10:13 PM EDT
NEW YORK — There have been plenty of days over the last three months when the Nationals don’t look anything like a World Series contender, an offensively challenged, defensively sloppy bunch that has put forth way more lifeless performances this season than anybody expected.
But there have also been a handful of days — though admittedly only a few, and usually scattered about — when these Nationals do put it all together and walk away from the ballpark having every reason to believe they can go on the kind of sustained tear that defined their breakthrough 2012 season.
Today was one of those days. Whether it’s a positive omen of more good things to come or just another blip in a mediocre season remains to be seen. But as they showed during a 13-2 demolition of the Mets, the Nationals do have the ability to overwhelm any opponent they face.
“We know we’ve got the lineup that can go out any given day and put up 15 hits and 10 runs, and it just hasn’t happened,” said Adam LaRoche, who ignited this offensive explosion with a second-inning homer off Zack Wheeler. “This isn’t going to happen every day, obviously, but I think it should a lot more often than it has.”
The season is now officially halfway complete, and the Nationals sit one game over the .500 mark at 41-40. They’ve hovered right at, right above or right below sea level for the last six weeks, never getting real hot, never getting real cold. But they’ve now won seven of their last 11 games, and tomorrow they’ll get their most-important player back after a lengthy absence.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game