Jun 30, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Ian Desmond congratulates Adam LaRoche after his second-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: With a young pitching phenom on the mound in Zack Wheeler, runs figured to be at a premium for the Nationals today, right? Right? Uh, maybe not. This previously lackluster lineup went bananas, scoring five early runs off Wheeler and then torturing the Mets bullpen late to set a season-high in runs scored. (Though, to be fair, two of the runs came against Anthony Recker, a backup catcher who pitched the top of the ninth.) Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth, Kurt Suzuki and Ian Desmond all homered. Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, tossed seven scoreless innings, firing more strikes than he ever had in his big-league career. Put it all together, and you've got the most-lopsided victory of the season for the Nationals. They've reached the midpoint of the season at 41-40, and now they head home, where Bryce Harper awaits, ready to come off the DL.
Hitting highlight: Obviously, there were no shortage of offensive highlights today, but let's focus on what the Nationals did earlyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop