Jun 30, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Ian Desmond congratulates Adam LaRoche after his second-inning homer.
Game in a nutshell: With a young pitching phenom on the mound in Zack Wheeler, runs figured to be at a premium for the Nationals today, right? Right? Uh, maybe not. This previously lackluster lineup went bananas, scoring five early runs off Wheeler and then torturing the Mets bullpen late to set a season-high in runs scored. (Though, to be fair, two of the runs came against Anthony Recker, a backup catcher who pitched the top of the ninth.) Adam LaRoche, Jayson Werth, Kurt Suzuki and Ian Desmond all homered. Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, tossed seven scoreless innings, firing more strikes than he ever had in his big-league career. Put it all together, and you've got the most-lopsided victory of the season for the Nationals. They've reached the midpoint of the season at 41-40, and now they head home, where Bryce Harper awaits, ready to come off the DL.
Hitting highlight: Obviously, there were no shortage of offensive highlights today, but let's focus on what the Nationals did earlyRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win