Game 82: Brewers at Nats

Jul 1, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

The season's second half begins tonight, and in a sense, the Nationals are starting over again themselves. By sheer coincidence, Game 82 happens to fall on the day Bryce Harper returns from the DL and Davey Johnson assembles a lineup that suddenly looks far more intimidating than it has for the last five weeks.

The big question was who would hit second in front of Harper. The answer: Jayson Werth, who was supposed to bat there all along but was pressed into middle-of-the-order duties with Harper out. That means Anthony Rendon gets bumped all the way down to the 7-hole, though that's not necessarily the worst place for a rookie who after a fantastic debut has cooled off considerably in recent days, carrying a 1-for-18 slump into tonight's game.

It also helps to have Jordan Zimmermann on the mound in search of his NL-leading 12th win. He'll be facing a Brewers club that currently sits in last place in the NL Central, losers of five straight including a 14-inning, rain-delayed game yesterday in Pittsburgh.

Updates to come, so please check back…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Scattered storms, 79 degrees, Wind 13 mph RF to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper

Read more ┬╗

1. Gonat - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Thats a lineup that looks better than Opening Day!

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Do we have any news on Detwiler?

3. Anna Peregrina - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

What are the chances of the game actually being played tonight?

4. natsfan1a - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Gee, I love new beginnings. Gee, I love baseball.Go, Bulldog! Go, Harp!! Go, NATS!!Mark Z said…The season's second half begins tonight, and in a sense, the Nationals are starting over again themselves.

5. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I feel like looking at that line up will induce reactions akin to the opening of the Ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark.IT BURNS US, PRECIOUS!!!

6. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Actually, it's interesting both that Harper is back and JZim is starting the first game of the second half of the season…

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

8. nats guy - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I'll join the crew of those signing off for good. When you write what's on your mind bad or good those that don't agree put you down. Adios.

9. Whack-a-Mule - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Mule borrows from Cole Porter (Yale '13) and "Anything Goes" (currently at Kennedy Center):" Bulldog! Woof! Bulldog! Woof! Bow-wow-wow! "A dozen for J-Zim!

10. phil dunton - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Desmond should bat cleanup.

11. SonnyG10 - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Oh Boy!!! The kid is back!

12. Diz - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Det's Sunday session went well. No issues with the back.No news on how his throwing sesssion went today.From Amanda yesterday:Amanda Comak @acomak Ross Detwiler had no issues while playing catch. Seems there is little question about him making the start on Wednesday.

13. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Desmond has excelled in the 6 hole. Any time they've moved him somewhere else, he's struggled. I like him at 6.

14. Secret wasian man - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Brew crew coming off 2,5 hour rain delay and 14 inning game. Our best pitcher. Gotta get this one. Right?

15. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM

agreed, i am glad davey has not moved desmond out of his spot to get more runs or anything.

16. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Likewise re: Desi.

17. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:20 PM

18. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

As the Nats begin the second half of the season, I recall a conversation in the summer of 2010 with a friend who's quite knowledgeable about baseball, but, alas, an Angels fan (although, as a DC resident he keeps up with the Nats). We agreed that, from a fan's perspective, while winning titles is great, your fundamental need is for your team to be playing meaningful games in August and September. At the time, I said that's what I was hoping for in the 2012 season, with the expectation that 2013 — and beyond — would bring a real contender. Given that we got the contender a year earlier than most (not everyone, I know) expected, I'm prepared to enjoy the rest of this year so long as the Nats' games remain meaningful (and not just in a spoiler sense). The Nats won from the front last season; let's appreciate the beauty of a pennant race in which they're trying to come from behind. That way — pun fully intended — you've covered all the bases.

19. Don - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I don't care where Werth was supposed to bat, he's not right for the 2 hole and Rendon is. The kid has thrived there. He's hitting for average, getting on, coming up with the timely hit. Let's get him LESS ABs? Why mess with the one of the few things that has been offensive success for the Nats? Werth should be hitting 5th or 6th. Werth being "pressed into middle-of-the-order duties" is some nonsense. Not like how much money he makes is a factor, but teams do not pay guys $126M to bat 2nd and Jayson never did much of it in his career in the first place. Hitting 5th is where Jayson has had his best success as a big leaguer. Rendon is playing very well in the 2 hole and Weth is taking less walks than ever this season and swinging for the fences (3+Ks/BB). He's a run producer not a table setter. These are the kinds of decisions that also ran clubs make.

20. SonnyG10 - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Enjoying my 50% off Papa John's pizza right now. Yummmmm!!!

21. baseballswami - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Eugene — agreed. Let's face it, the fans of only one team out of thirty are truly happy at the end of the season. Does that mean the other 29 seasons were a total waste? For the second half, I would like to see the Nats playing a better brand of baseball. Cleaner defense. Better situational hitting. I would like to feel that they are in every single game until the last out. I would like to feel that we are in contention right up until the bitter or happy end. This game is just so unpredictable. Anyone who thinks they want to try to predict what anything will be like in October is welcome to try. I am excited to watch the kids play together and I am really looking forward to Ramos coming back. I wish we could get Det straightened out so that he is the guy from the WBC and I hope we can get Haren pitching to the point where he is at least able to compete – or be replaced. We are getting down to tweaking things now and then I hope they play consistent baseball – nothing fancy, just consistent baseball.

22. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

opportunity for Nats to run off 7-8 in a row at home and ironically catch Braves by All star break. If that happen, mentally it would be devastating for Braves.Its there for the Nats, in spite of all the problems they have had…will they seize upon it??

23. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

"Rendon is playing very well in the 2 hole and Weth is taking less walks than ever this season and swinging for the fences (3+Ks/BB). He's a run producer not a table setter. These are the kinds of decisions that also ran clubs make."Er, hasn't he been batting 4th or 5th for weeks now? Wouldn't you expect him to change his approach to adapt to the role, and wouldn't his stats reflect that?

24. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

"opportunity for Nats to run off 7-8 in a row at home and ironically catch Braves by All star break. If that happen, mentally it would be devastating for Braves."That would be some juicy nastiness right there!

25. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

did not realize how close Nats are to wild card too… they have a great chance to really make their move this week

26. d'grviii 8 - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Let's see. You have Werth, who's probably better suited to be a table setter than an RBI guy at this point in his career, and Rendon who can do both. Makes sense to use Werth as the table setter in that scenario. Their relative salaries have nothing to do with it.

27. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Eric…I would not be shocked if Nats were tied or ahead of Braves at the break

28. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I do not expect us to go on a long winning streak. I just don't think we're built for it with the backend of our rotation right now. I think our progress will be a little slower (which means after every loss, people will continue to panic). Just keep winning 2/3 or 3/4 and we'll be just fine.

29. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Honestly, I think at least half of what the Nats get from Werth for their money is mojo and mentoring. And, I think it's absolutely money well spent. For instance, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Harper's maturity at the plate arises significantly from working with Werth.

30. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

D-Backs put Cahill on the DL (hi contusion). They are 1-5 in their road trip, so far.Tigers lost again today and fell out of first place in the AL Central. They were supposed to be the best team in the AL–they may yet be but they need to fix a few things, like their bullpen.

31. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

at half way point…it is clear right now on 7/1 that the Cards are the team to beat in the NL and maybe Pirates are in that mix…they may not fold this year… The West seems weak and Nats did well against AZ. So, Nats are really going to see where they are verse Pirates soon

32. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

"Eric…I would not be shocked if Nats were tied or ahead of Braves at the break"I would be, but it's certainly feasible!

33. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

David…that would be fine, as long as they win these series they should get there. Also, Werth is vital to Nats

34. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The think that never ceases to amaze me is how the national pundits fall in love and out of love. Two weeks ago it was the Cards, now it's the Pirates. Just keep playing our game, minding our own business…

35. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

36. mick - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

37. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

The problem with all those NL Central teams is they've hardly played each other so far. At some point soon, they're going to start playing each other and beating each other up. This level of play isn't sustainable for all three teams. Somebody has to lose.

38. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Who was sent down? I'm sure it was mentioned but I missed it.

39. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I'm freaking giddy about tonight's game, but tonight's my night to put the kids to bed, I need to go to the d@mn grocery store, and it looks like rain and it feels like rain…Sheesh!

40. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Davis went down, NL

41. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSN#Nats officially activate Bryce Harper off DL, option RHP Erik Davis to AAA.

42. JD - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Don, Sorry, You are dead wrong about Werth. Other than 2009 (99 RBI's) and 2010 (85 RBI's) Werth never was a big RBI producer and in these years he was batting 6th on a killer Philly lineup playing in a band box. What he has always done well is get on base and work the count, which incidentally was the catalyst for the Nats 2nd half offensive success. Taking nothing away from Rendon, I think he'l do just fine in the 7th hole but as we saw this weekend his offensive game is still under development and it's not necessary to put this kind of pressure on the kid while he's adjusting to the adjustments.

43. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Micah Owens released.

44. Nats106 - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I posted the below after the first Orioles game. Only off in that one of the Mets game was rained out.Orioles: Lose series 3-1Braves: Lose series 2-1Mets and Twins Win series 4-2 Rockies/Indians/Phillies road trip: 4-5Rockies/dBacks homes series: 4-3Mets away 2-1 win seriesBrewers/Padres Home series: 4-3Phillies/Marlins away: 4-2Revising the Brewers/Padres home stand to 5-2 instead of 4-3. Nats are finally getting some momentum and getting the guys who can carry this team back in action. Feeling real good about the second half, but you never know.

45. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Well, Davis got a free trip to NYC. Hope he enjoyed it. :)

46. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

"Well, Davis got a free trip to NYC. Hope he enjoyed it. :)"Haha, seriously!

47. JD - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

NL & Eric, Davis was called up in case Jordan completely blew up on Saturday and we needed almost an entire bullpen game. It turns out this wasn't necessary. Was Krol tossing hand grenades on purpose yesterday? Everything they hit off him was ta toed.

48. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, I dunno re: Krol. I almost feel like he was instructed to take it easy so as to ensure we have a fresh bullpen when we need one…? Anyway, it was a fine time to get his first real dud out of the way.

49. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Krol was just tossing fastballs down the middle. I don't think or Zuke were particularly interested in painting the corners. They just wanted outs.

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

mick said… Ghost…your right and realistically, Braves should still be ahead by the break, but I bet Nats could be within 2-3 games and the second wild card going into break July 01, 2013 4:39 PM I want to see the Nats get exactly to that 2-3 games by the All Star break and the Nats can certainly do that by grinding it out every game and doing their best #EatFace!

51. TexNat - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Werth should bat lead off and Rendon second. It is actually Span that is trading extra base hits for OBP this year, so move him to 7th.

52. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Agree on Krol. He shook Suzuki off three times on one pitch. I think Zook said, forget that, just throw fastball, and let's go home. JD, yes, I know that's why Davis was called up. He probably knew also–that it was a weekend trip…Didn't even have to work up a sweat.

53. JD - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Ghost, I don't know. The Braves have 6 games with the Marlins and 3 with the Phills before they host the Reds for 4. I'm not sure I see much potential for making up ground unless we win something like 9 out of 10 and even then I don't see us making up 3 – 4 games.

54. NatsLady - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Span hits very well at home and against righties, which is today's situation. If you want to move him down away and vs. lefties, that might be the time.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

JD said… Ghost,I don't know. The Braves have 6 games with the Marlins and 3 with the Phills before they host the Reds for 4. I'm not sure I see much potential for making up ground unless we win something like 9 out of 10 and even then I don't see us making up 3 – 4 games. July 01, 2013 5:10 PM If the Braves have to face Jacob Turner, Fernandez and Nolasco it's very possible they could lose a bunch.I remember people counting the September games and the Braves wilted under the pressure.The Nats really need to win all 4 of these Brewers games. That's the start.

56. JD - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

NatsLady I think that's exactly what Davie should do. Move Span to 7th against lefties and insert Rendon in the no. 2 hole.

57. JD - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Ghost, I agree. I think 4 game sweeps are fairly rare though. Let's win tonight and take it from there.

58. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

JD, so are 10 game winning streaks and teams do it every year. This will show us what the Nats are all about.

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Harper just talked to the media. He's wearing a kneepad I guess was the big news. All ready to rake and go oppo boppo. It really feels like Opening Day!

60. jshai - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Rendon should be hitting second and Werth seventh. Looks like politics and a contract have dictated a baseball decision.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Gallardo is a righty but I am hoping Davey employs a special lineup against the LHPs and sits Span.Werth RH RFRendon RH 2BHarp LH CFRZim RH 3BALR LH 1BDesi RH SS—– RH LFRamozuki RH CIf the Nats have a lead in the 7th you bring in Span as a defensive replacement.

62. Ron In Reston - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I think Werth batting second and Rendon 7th is the right way to go, let Rendon protect Desi, let Span and Werth see alot of pitches before the big guns come up.That being said, I also like the idea of Werth leading off and Rendon hitting second with Span 7th (or even 8th) against lefties. You've still got two guys who will see a lot of pitches at the top of the order and I don't know that Desi needs as much protection against a lefty. Putting Span 8th brings up the possibility of the pitcher bunting him over should he manage to draw a walk against a lefty, which turns over the lineup.

63. realdealnats - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

One game at a time. One pitch at a time. That's how we get there. Just enjoy that ride.

64. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Span is a career .278 against LHB. He's shown he can hit left handers. The only way for him to break out of this funk is for him to hit his way out of it. I'm not convinced platooning him will help.

65. Ron In Reston - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I like the thought, GoSM, but we don't have anyone right now to fill that spot, which I think we can all agree on. It's not Moore, it's not Lombo, and for those who are still whining, it's not Morse, either. The defensive dropoff for any of those three is not compensated by their "offense"….Morse would have been the closest, but still not enough. So until there is someone to fill that spot, I think you bat Span 7th or 8th against lefties as I outlined above.

66. John - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM

67. Don - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

JD — Werth's success, to the extent he ever had any, was as a middle of the order bat. He hit 5th or 6th mostly. The Nats paid him $126M to be a middle of the order bat. Werth had zero AB's in the 2 hole in 2012, so it is not like he has some great history of performing well there either. And of late he's hit well in the middle — in June .286, 4 HRs, taking his walks, knocking some in, hitting mostly 4 with some 5. He's been good. But batting 2 this year. he's not been very good (23K/3BB hitting .233, OPS under .700). Davey's looking to fix unbroke stuff.

68. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I don't know. The Braves have 6 games with the Marlins and 3 with the Phills before they host the Reds for 4. I'm not sure I see much potential for making up ground unless we win something like 9 out of 10 and even then I don't see us making up 3 – 4 games….If the Braves have to face Jacob Turner, Fernandez and Nolasco it's very possible they could lose a bunch.Marlins have won 5 of their last 6; 7 of their last 9.

69. A DC Wonk - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

(otoh, Atlanta has also won 5 of its last 6)

70. Whynat - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Things turning around at ni. Rose colored glasses crew out scoring legion of doom 7 to 3. Several LOD on the DL.

71. Just wonderin' - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Whynat – doesn't the Legion of Doom mainly come out in the fourth or fifth inning of a losing game? Maybe they can't stand the daylight?

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Just Wonderin'. LMAO

73. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Getting Rendon "less at-bats" – how much at-bats does he need? but seriously … in a given game, the difference is one AB, more or less, and late. Late and close, I'll still take Werth over Rendon.

74. pwilly - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

The Weather Channel future cast shows nothing around DC from now thru 11pm, fwiw.

75. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

"doesn't the Legion of Doom mainly come out in the fourth or fifth inning of a losing game?"It's harder to say "I told you so!" in the abstract, when things are going well. That's why JayBee is so special–he doesn't limit himself, and he's consistent. The perdici├│nistas, by definition, are reactive.

76. Whynat - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

The fourth and fifth inning LOD, those are your slap hitting LOD. The season is lost LOD, the big bats, those guys are on the DL.

77. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Phil Wood must be shocked. The Nats granted Micah Owings his release.

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM

NatsJack, yah, Phil doesn't have a feel for Davey at all.

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Change comes slowly to Davey/Rizzo. It took 2 full months of Espinosa and 2 1/3 years of HenRod.

80. TheManBearPig - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Drop Span to 7 or 8, let Werth lead off and keep Rendon at 2. Werth is better suited to lead off than any other hitter the Nats have. Unlike most MLB hitters, Werth's numbers have always been better when hitting with bases empty than with runners on and he excels when leading off an inning. In those situations, he'll get on base 4 times for every 3 times Span gets on. And, although he's not as fast as Span, he's a better baserunner. Put Werth at #1 and the Nats will get better hitting out of the middle of the lineup because they'll be hitting with runners on more often than they would with Span leading off.

81. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Nice 1-2-3 inning for JZimm!

82. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM

How is Span 0-for-14 against Gallardo? Was Gallardo in the AL at some point?

83. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Milwaukee and Minnesota are interleague rivals like the Nate and O's.

84. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Nats and O's.

85. paul brandt - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

welcome back Harp! animal!

86. MicheleS - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Well that didn't take long! BRYCE BOMB!!!

87. Another_Sam - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Bryce! Bryce! Bryce!

88. Another_Sam - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I kick myself for not going to the park.

89. RickH - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Welcome back, Bryce! We missed you, buddy.

90. Smatt1001 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Bam Bam is back!

91. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Am I watching a baseball game or a freaking movie? Unreal. Welcome back Harper!

92. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

And Away we go!!!!!

93. SonnyG10 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

host Of Steve M. said…Gonat said… Thats a lineup that looks better than Opening Day! Agreed and do you remember what Harp did on Opening Day?July 01, 2013 3:58 PMWay to call it, Ghost!

94. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Anyone see what looked like a sign that said "Welcome Back! GYFNG!" just behind the Nats dugout on the Harper curtain call replay? If so, was that an NIer?

95. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Tha amazing Z-mann

96. Timothy Folk - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Game would be 2-0 is rendon was batting 2nd

97. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I note a lot of pre-game discussion of Span. Let me contribute. Span is what Span is – Exactly. His stats are Precisely what Rizzo acquired: middling average, poor basestealer, below avg. baserunner, Zero Power, no gap power either – can only pull the ball for power – thus, his triples.Last season Werth had an .OBA of a little over .400 when leading off – Span has never come close to that — and probably never will.Span was not a good pickup in my opinion. We spent 13 million on a declining pitcher, but passed on Michael Bourne? makes no sense to me

98. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

so all you fellow couch coaches.How do you split Ramos/Zook after the 4th ?2 and 2, 3 out of 4 for Zook, then 2 and 2, then 1 of 4 for zookAlso, who goes down or DFAs on Thursday ? (Tracy)Finally, what is the barves weakness when compared to us (starting pitching ???, infield ???, bullpen ???)

99. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM

"We spent 13 million on a declining pitcher, but passed on Michael Bourne?"These two things do not go together. Haren is on a one year deal, Bourne got a multi-year deal.

100. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Tornado/Tstorm warning near Waldorf moving NEUh oh…

101. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Well, Span's glove is certainly a major of upgrade from last year.

102. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I just don't get Davey: 7th in the order is a power spot – a poor man's 5th if you will.The 2 spot is for a contact hitter, a good avg, guy who strikes out seldom. The 2-spot guy advances the runner (s) and has some speed to avoid DP.s On balance, Rendon would seem a better #2 and Werth a natural #7. But again, Davey plays personalities and seniority more than what works bests for wins.I guess that's why Davey eventually wears out his welcome with every team he's ever been with.

103. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:37 PM

jeez, watch out those in Bowie, Lanham,

104. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM

just taking a little pressure off Rendon, I think, to help his transition to the ML.

105. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM

That is correct Proctor. Jumping in from the weeds again? Do we always have to explain to you things that you just don't seem to get? or are you just a trollish critic who likes to piss people off? Which are you?

106. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Lol…why am I being singled out?

107. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Spans glove isn't a Great deal better than Harper's from last year. Certainly, Harper's is better than Morse if you want to compare left field.

108. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The amazin Z-men

109. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Lol No, that should me my line.

110. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 PM

That's one of the most natural looking throws I've seen Zim make in a while.

111. Ken - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM

jeffwx said…"Also, who goes down or DFAs on Thursday ? (Tracy)"Try Jhonatan Solano

112. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM

doh!!! thanks ken

113. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I'm looking at Pittsburgh's surge – and think just wait until Burnett gets off the DL — they're catching lightning in a bottle, like the Nats of 2012

114. Eric - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM

"Lol…why am I being singled out?"I dunno but it seems like we've been here before… ;)JZim!

115. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM

More amazingness.

116. RickH - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM

David … Agreed. Zim's throwing seems a lot better lately.

117. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Span saw 14 pitches in 2 ABs with a walk. I will take that.

118. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

WOW!

119. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

agree with you DP, WOW!

120. Smatt1001 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Nice! Great way to start the game!!

121. paul brandt - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

DP, there you go again jumping in from the weeds, man oh man, just when i thought we are all getting along.

122. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Span followed by Werth, just like Davey drew it up.

123. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Keep the line moving; don't let up.

124. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Davey's a genuous again (with this lineup…Span/Werth/Harp…)

125. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

How the hell am I jumping from the weeds? I post here every day. I comment if I see something I agree or disagree with. I give my input because it is a discussion forum. Jesus people.

126. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM

You guys talking about weeds, you should visit Oregon…

127. paul brandt - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:56 PM

DP, i was joking!

128. David Proctor - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I figured PB, I just meant that other guy who seems to hate me haha

129. Scott Margenau - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

TexNatJuly 01, 2013 5:06 PMWerth should bat lead off and Rendon second. It is actually Span that is trading extra base hits for OBP this year, so move him to 7thI agree. Especially vs lhp

130. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

David……I think the second claim was a snark at NatsFan.

131. jeffwx - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:57 PM

keep postin DP

132. paul brandt - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

NatsJack, correct, thx…I should have been clearer in my sarcasm.like jeffwx said, keep postin DP

133. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Wait.. Isn't Bourn on the DL? Just Wonderin…Anywhoo.. I like OFFENSE!!!!

134. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Ryan is even stealing bases now!

135. RickH - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hate seeing Zim slide headfirst! But good steal.

136. Smatt1001 - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

And there goes Zimm!

137. RickH - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Zim's steal results in run scored.

138. paul brandt - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Is the Brewers pitching coach really calling every pitch? sure looks like it.p.s. would really rather Zim not dive head first into 2nd but hey, it worked.

139. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

This is nuts…talk about everything evening out.

140. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Wow this is great.

141. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I mean.. I really LOVE OFFENSE!!!

142. paul brandt - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ryan Matheus looks like the Unabomber.

143. Smatt1001 - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

How long is Milwaukee going to stay with Gallardo at this point? I know their bullpen is hosed from yesterday

144. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

So I'm thinking maybe Yovanni Gallardo shouldn't be on Mike Rizzo's list of potential trade-deadline acquisitions?

145. RickH - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hitting is fun! Should have tried it sooner.

146. Knoxville Nat - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Where the heck was this offense on Saturday? GYFNG!

147. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

At this point, i think they have to stay with Gallardo and write this game off. They used basically their entire bullpen yesterday.

148. waddu eye no - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

ahhhhh.

149. SonnyG10 - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM

One more run and I can get another 50% off pizza.

150. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM

On the down side…JZimm is staked to a big lead. HOLD IT.

151. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM

John said… How many times will Span hit a weak grounder up the first base line? 3 times or 4 times today?How many folks are ignoring the multiple comments that Span's been hitting .342 in his last 10 games?As for Rendon batting 7th — given that Desmond is fifth in the league in doubles: it's nice to have a line-drive hitter behind him, no?

152. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

50% of papa john'show bout 50% off real pizza:Wyse Guys, Menomale, Pupatella, 2 Amys, Etto, Tony's in Manassas, District of Pi, Pete's Apizza in Columbia hgts, the original Ledo's in College Park,

153. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Did I miss anything while I was at dinner?

154. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

155. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM

but Wyse Guys on 3rd and Mass, NW on the way to the game is addictive.Matchbox good too.

156. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Our new RH pinch hitter?

157. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Span?

158. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Denard Span…what a pickup

159. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

This is batting practice right now.

160. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

boy, what happened to the days of not getting RISPs in.

161. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

jeffwxJuly 01, 2013 8:15 PMWe the Pizza, DaMarco's Bethesda, 7th Hill, corner pub in Silver Spring, Pacci'sReply——///—Shhh!!!! Tha

162. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

163. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

This is outrageous! Just…WOW!!!

164. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

And NOW we feast on the bullpen… sweet.. this bodes well for the rest of the series.JeffWX.. would love 50% off on all those places, but sadly they don't serve the entire Nats Area (like me in Ashburn).. I might only be able to find a Ledo's somewhere around me.

165. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Home cooking + Harper back + getting healthy = GYFNG

166. Just wonderin' - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

So, anyone else wonder whether Eck was checking to make sure the cork was popping out of that bat?

167. Nattering Nat - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

At last it is safe to say it—Spring Training is officially over!!

168. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Davey wears out his welcome because he doesn't suffer fools, not because his teams don't win.Sofa — I think you nailed that. Bulls eye.Look at the some of the folks who fired him: Marge Schott ('nuff said?). Peter Angelos (on the same day that Davey won his first Manager of the Year).

169. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Jeff, there's no need to give away great secrets regarding pizza.

170. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Anybody else see this pizza show on WETA the other night?

171. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Comet, Mia's, Orso'sMy point…Don't settle for really bad overpriced pizza like Papa John's even if the Nats give it away. Too many calories, choose wisely, expect better and joinhttp://www.meetup.com/Pizza-Addicts-Anonymous/And why is Papa John's not 1/2 price at Nats park ? ($6.00 a slice!!!)Demand better pizza at the ballparkand real presidents

172. SonnyG10 - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Hey, do I get the other 50% off if the Nats score 14 runs?

173. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Anybody making the ridiculous suggestion that the medical staff on the Nats get fired because of Nats injuries — did they get a load of the Brewers' injury list? Holy Cow!Well … then … tear them for their bad verses!

174. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

SonnyG, yes, but you have to go to Australia for it

175. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Why is Papa John's even in the equation?

176. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Come on JZimm…don't do this "I collapse when I have a big lead" crap.

177. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Yes, couch, great show but even since that show more excellent pizza has opened (eg: Etto, Ghibellini)because pizza is as american as baseball and apple pie and chevys made in mexicohappy 4th everyone

178. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Is Zimmermann collapsing or just throwing stikes with a big lead.

179. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Should "Rickie Weeks" be Cockney rhyming slang for spilled secrets, as in Wikileaks?

180. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Wooooo — big thunder just now…

181. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Great game going on.Hey Proctor: can you go one game without insulting people and then whining about how innocent you are?haha Posting every day doesn't guarantee a right to hit from the weeds.

182. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

jeff, I think a little bit of letdown, a little bit too much running the bases, and yes, throwing strikes for contact.

183. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Haha Zimmermann isn't collapsing. Haha this place can swing with emotion!

184. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Ashburn…try Firefox….drive to Manassas and go to Tony's…don't settle and support your local pizza parlor…give it to the Man. We deserve better pizza at the park. They gave us Ben's for hotdogs, Shake Shak for, well Shakes…Max's for Shwarma's (but why the heck are they always closed Friday and Sat ???, wish they would convert to another religion but keep the kosher thing)

185. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I've never attacked anyone. You always come in here attacking me.

186. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Your turn, Anthony

187. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Haha Okay Proctor, whatever you say. Sorry for all the times I've attacked you. Hahaha

188. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM

SinceStart, wtf are you on about? Proctor hasn't insulted anybody, including the Brewers pitching staff, in here.

189. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:44 AM

The only time I ever talk to you Proctor is when you've addressed me directly — and it's always negative. So get over yourself and enjoy the game.

190. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I still get a kick out of the 'fans' in the Presidential seats: probably the least interested people in the park. Half of em have their heads buried in their smartphones

191. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

We have a 3/3 Pitcher. Cant remember the last time I've seen that with the Nats

192. waddu eye no - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

another silver slugger pitcher in the making

193. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

The only comment Proctor addressed to you that wasn't in direct response to you was his perfectly innocent baseball-specific comment at 7:35. Stop lying.

194. jeffwx - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:47 AM

holy cow…Nats pitcher 3 for 3…When's the last time that happened ?kill the DH

195. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Normally, I'd expect more help from a Nats fan on a popup in the seats, but I think Aramis Ramirez has earned a lifetime pass on that.

196. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Oh Geez can we quit this squabbling now — how old are we anyway? The attacks are building .. again. Now SEc 3 — whoever that is — needs to stick in her nose.that's enough, kids thanks

197. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:50 AM

They gave Znn a hit on that??

198. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Sec 3 Sofa: The only comment Proctor addressed to you that wasn't in direct response to you was his perfectly innocent baseball-specific comment at 7:35. Stop lyingI have not lied. Why are you attacking and insulting me? Time to text Mark

199. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Nobody's attacking you. I'm just pointing out facts (OK, there was that one entirely reasonable proscriptive, but other than that, nobody is squabbling.)