Jul 1, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
The season's second half begins tonight, and in a sense, the Nationals are starting over again themselves. By sheer coincidence, Game 82 happens to fall on the day Bryce Harper returns from the DL and Davey Johnson assembles a lineup that suddenly looks far more intimidating than it has for the last five weeks.
The big question was who would hit second in front of Harper. The answer: Jayson Werth, who was supposed to bat there all along but was pressed into middle-of-the-order duties with Harper out. That means Anthony Rendon gets bumped all the way down to the 7-hole, though that's not necessarily the worst place for a rookie who after a fantastic debut has cooled off considerably in recent days, carrying a 1-for-18 slump into tonight's game.
It also helps to have Jordan Zimmermann on the mound in search of his NL-leading 12th win. He'll be facing a Brewers club that currently sits in last place in the NL Central, losers of five straight including a 14-inning, rain-delayed game yesterday in Pittsburgh.
Updates to come, so please check back…
MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Scattered storms, 79 degrees, Wind 13 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig