Around the NL East: Shut down Harvey?

Jul 2, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Atlanta Braves (48-34)

The Braves have won five of their last six games including a sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks over the weekend. They are getting hot and have a favorable schedule up ahead with 16 of their next 20 games against teams under the .500 mark. 13 of those games are on the road, but the Braves have a chance to create some more distance in the N.L. East in the month of July.
Pitching has been a big strength for them lately, especially with the continued dominance of Julio Teheran. The 22-year-old threw six shutout innings against the D’backs on Friday and now has a 3.12 ERA on the year. He has a 2.28 ERA in ten starts since the beginning of May. Craig Kimbrel has also been hot as of late, converting his last 13 save attempts with 17 consecutive outings without allowing a run.
Player of the week: RF Jason Heyward – 9-for-22, HR, 4 RBI, 4 R, 4 2B, 2 BB
Philadelphia Phillies (39-44)
After losing three out of their last four, the Phillies have dropped to a season-worst 9 ½ games out of first place in the N.L. East. Their 2013 campaign is continuing on very much like how it started. Chase Utley and Dominic Brown are producing at the plate, while others like Cole Hamels and Jimmy Rollins are having off years.
The question for Philly will become whether they will start selling off pieces. There is interest around the league in Jonathan Papelbon and Michael Young, plus Cliff Lee and Chase Utley may garner some suitors as well. It will be up to Ruben Amaro, Jr. if he wants to pull the trigger. Last season they sold off Hunter Pence and watched him win a World Series. They are never easy decisions for a general manager to make, but the clock is ticking with the trade deadline just weeks away.

1. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

If the Mets shut Harvey down, I guarantee they won't win the World Series.

2. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

he pitched 170 innings last season so even if they shut him down, I am guessing he will pitch closer to 200 innings. he does have a shot at cy young.

3. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Guessing the Nets organization won 't get crucified like the Nats did.

4. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

That would be Mets of course.

5. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

The Mets have three, maybe four, Grade B+ plus players on their roster. If they were to shut down Harvey people would start fires in the stands. They are, however, holding him to about 100 pitches per start. Given the no. of innings he pitched last year, I don't think there is a chance of it. Although they certainly should know enuf from the Santana experience to be cautious about overworking a pitcher.

6. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Also, the entire baseball world will be mad at them. Because, you know, they're so arrogant and all.Sec. 3, My Sofa said… If the Mets shut Harvey down, I guarantee they won't win the World Series. July 02, 2013 1:34 PM

7. NatsLady - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Does this mean he's no longer on the 40-man roster? Maybe something is up…?Nationals PR ‏@NationalsPR 4mThe #Nationals today outrighted RHP Cole Kimball to Syracuse of the Triple-A International League.

8. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Apropos of hitting coaches, Plans, and shutting down starters (I swear it is, really): this longish discussion on why software development takes so long seems to analogize well with a GM's job. Or maybe that's just me.

9. NatsLady - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Ah, this answered my question.@acomak The #Nats outrighted RHP Cole Kimball to Triple-A. Takes him off 40-man.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Are the Nats ready to add someone to the 40 man?

11. sjm308 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

NL or anyone else. I am never too old to learn. Does that mean Kimball is basically a free agent or do we still have his rights? Could he reject the move and go out on the open market? Just wondering.ThanksGo Nats

12. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

sjm, no, they still have control, because he hasn't been in MLB > 5 years. He just can't be called back up without putting back on the 40-man roster.

13. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

sjm, for specifics, see his contract status on B-R (altho keep in mind they've been known to be wrong on occasion).

14. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Somewhat interesting that he made it through waivers, in that he didn't, twice, in 2011. The Bluejays claimed him when the Nats tried to pass him through, and then the Nats claimed him back when the Jays tried.

15. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Sec 3, I'd love to read that article tying software engineering to baseball, since I kinda do the first and totally love the second.But, it requires that I sign up for their services. Why do sites do that? I mean, I know why, I just don't like it ;).PS – am I the only one who sees your avatar as a rooster with its head cocked to the side until I click and see it closer up? Heh…

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Eric, sorry about the registration, I forgot about that. Email me and I'll send you the clipping.

17. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

OK, Sec 3…don't see it behind your profile, though.To those of you who wanted a Stealie/Nats sticker, I will get them out asap, which admittedly will probably be awhile. I think the list is currently:Section222UnkyDsjmIs that right? Did I miss anyone?

18. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

19. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Oh, and no worries Sec 3. Come to think of it, I'll just use my old e-mail that I keep for this very purpose.

20. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

D'oh! Google or FB only.

21. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Eric, I'm way late to the game here, but I'd love that sticker, too.I dunno . . . it musta been the roses . . . I'm hoping the offer will not fade away

22. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:44 PM

lolLet me count how many I have left when I get home, but I think it should be fine.Section222UnkyDsjmWonk

23. NatsLady - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Josh Willingham probably to the DL. So he won't be our bench bat, at least not for a while.

24. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

One last word on hitting coaches. Those of you who reference the old school guys like Deacon Jones and Charlie Lau, keep in mind that guys similar to them exist in all organizations. It's just that are referred to as "minor league roving hitting instructors".Todays game is developed in an entirely different manor than the days of the instructors of old. Todays roving instructors make sure the younger developing players are doing their daily drills, working on the finer aspects of hitting and showing improvement as they advance.

25. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Great point NJ. It sounds like the guys working with young players are actually more important in a hands on way than the major league hitting coach. As that great Angels blog post that JoeS highlighted this morning put it:"The process of building a hitter isn't 10% complete when he reaches the Show, it's 99.9% complete, and that final 0.1% is finished up pretty quickly. So by the time Hatcher gets a hold of a Bobby Abreu, say, with nearly 8,000 major-league plate appearances, forget it. That die has long since been cast."

26. James Joyce - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ugghh, if the Mets had not just gone 10-6 they'd be in last? And if the Nats had not just gone 9 -7 they'd be, what? Something else.Harvey has a shot at the Cy Young and he's healthy, the Mets are not going to shut him down unless he tweaks something.

27. sjm308 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Wooooo Hooooo – oh,sorry, I should know that cheer is reserved for you know who for a Nats Win.Still, a shot at a neat sticker so Hooooo Woooo or something.seriously, thanks

28. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM

some trades have started going down. Os acquired Scott Feldman, nice pickup.

29. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM

SJM… WOOO HOOO for getting the sticker.. for sure.. that's a cool one.See you at the game tonight.. probably up in the 300's picnic area.What hat are you wearing?

30. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Just saw something interesting in the NIDO spreadsheet glossary. The first appearance of Sweet Fancy Moses was almost exactly a year ago on June 28, 2012, after Desi drilled a 2-run bomb to tie the Rockies at 9. In that post, Mark noted that Desi could be nearing an All Star selection. His line at that time — 13 homers, 41 RBI and 36 extra-base hits. As of today, he has 15 homers, 49 RBI, and 39 extra base hits. Sweet Fancy Moses indeed.

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Sup folks… Haven't seen not one game since Friday's win at Mets Stadium…. Been in LA and went to see the Beyonce concert… Also went to Dodger stadium and saw the Phil's/Dodgers on Sunday (people looked at me like I was crazy cuz I wore my Nats shirt….Anywho, I got 3 games on the DVR that I have to watch when I get home and then tonight's game…I did hear BHarp hit a HR on his first game back… Well done young man…

32. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:37 PM

You're more than welcome sjm!"As of today, he has 15 homers, 49 RBI, and 39 extra base hits. Sweet Fancy Moses indeed."8^0

33. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The 40-man spot was likely cleared for Christian Garcia who has to come off the DL soon.Also if anyone cares, Kristina Akra tweeted that today's MLBNow on MLBNetwork is going to be very Nats-centric. And Davey is going to be on the show!

34. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Question– I am hearing Harvey should start the all star game, because of his numbers and because it is in citi field. He will be on an innings limit this season. Since they don't look like they will go into the post season, will the Mets let him use a couple of innings there? Also– do we really want Bryce playing in the all star game, or do we want him at home with ice in his knee so that he can last the season?

35. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Gee, I wonder why MLB Now is going to be Nats centric? :-) Thanks DP. I like that show, and will definitely check it out on the DVR today.

36. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Bryce playing or not playing in the All-Star Game will have little-to-no impact on how he fares the rest of the season, imo. Let him go and play.

37. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I vote for Harper skipping the ASG if he's having any lingering issues. If so, 5 days off so soon after being reactivated would be almost like a gift.What time is MLBNow on?

38. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

4PM, Eric.

39. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

40. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Swami – The answer to your question is 'B' and it's not even close.

41. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

James Joyce, If The Mets make a decision based on Harvey having a shot at the Cy Young or not vs. having a healthy pitcher for 15 years they are idiots.

42. PDowdy83 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Faraz, I don't think the Feldman pickup is going to work well for the O's. He was not very succesful when he pitched in a homer/offensive happy park in Texas for several seasons. He had a hot streak at the beginning of the year but in his last 7 starts his ERA has climbed 1.27 points. His last 7 starts have seen him pitch to the tune of a 4.97 ERA which is much more along the lines of the 5.15 ERA he posted over his last 297 innings (parts of 3 seasons) in Texas. Basically they gave up international money and Jake Arrieta for a below average starter who padded his stats with a good start. I was worried the Nationals were going to target him.

43. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

don't see it behind your profile, though.Go to FOLLOWERS on the left and find the "Send a message" link in my bio there.

44. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

OK, thanks Sec 3.And, you, too, DP!