Game 83: Brewers at Nats

Jul 2, 2013, 7:54 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Nationals scored 10 runs last night, so why would Davey Johnson change his lineup for tonight's game against the Brewers? So, it's Jayson Werth (coming off a five-RBI performance) in the No. 2 spot again, with Bryce Harper batting third and Anthony Rendon batting seventh.

Stephen Strasburg (3-1, 1.64 ERA over his last seven starts) is on the mound for the Nationals, looking to continue his recent hot streak and hoping he gets the kind of run support Jordan Zimmermann got last night. Right-hander Wily Peralta starts for Milwaukee, which has now lost six straight.

I'm off tonight (my only night off in a stretch of 18 days), and Chase is heading out on vacation. But never fear, the talented Ben Standig will have full coverage tonight on CSNwashington.com, and I'll have links to his articles right here on Nats Insider. Enjoy the game…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Chance of storms, 79 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper

1. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Julie Alexandria tweeted a photo of the Nats lineup. Harper, Strasburg, and Rendon, all playing. When Rendon was drafted in 2011, we dreamt of this day. Kind of cool to see it in black and white. ‏@JulieAlexandriaYour nationals lineup pic.twitter.com/fl19iFk0na

2. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

On my way….keep the line moving boys….GYFNG!!!

3. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Alexandria (the sideline reporter, not the city) is getting better as the year goes on. The last couple of pre-game interviews weren't Mike Wallace but better than Good Morning America.

4. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Mike Wallace is still a better clubhouse manager. But Julie Alexandria is way hotter.

5. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

How did T Jordan look his last night out?

6. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

It's a shame they can't put Werth into the lineup further down so he can drive in some runs.

7. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Whenever I know Davey is going to be on national tv I cringe, wondering what he will say . I bet the players never know, either, given some of the embarrassing things he has revealed. Guy has never had much of a filter.

8. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Werth- he is only second at the start of the game– he had plenty of base runners to drive in last night.

9. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

He did indeed, swami.

10. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Davey made it clear that Werth didn't like batting second. Davey told Werth exactly that…it's only batting second first and he'd have plenty of men on base. And then Werth has a 5 RBI game. I'm guessing Werth is cool with it now.

11. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

If he was not cool with it before, the whole scoring lots of runs and winning thing should help convince him.

12. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Mrs. B. Jordan looked pretty good. The Mets only got a couple of hits against him in a little under 5 innings but the defense (mainly Zim) booted the ball all over the place which really hurt him. My only real criticism of Jordan was that he was mostly pitching from behind. He has to throw strike one more often.

13. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

''I don't necessarily like hitting second,'' Werth said. ''But if that's the best for our team, I've said it before: Last year when I led off, it wasn't personally the best fit for me, but it was the best for our team and that's why I felt like it should have happened. And the same goes for me hitting second now.''

14. realdealnats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Sure that's not Ben Standin spotting you guys tonight?

15. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Werth made it clear it wasn't his first choice, but he did it because it made sense for the team. I was just having fun after yesterday's discussion about why he should/should not hit 2. Thought the career-high RBI day was funny in that context.

16. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

DP, your post @4:24 is not surprising to me. I don't understand people saying Werth's ego was too big to bat 7th or whatever. I feel pretty certain that Werth cares about nothing as much as he cares about the team doing well and, above even that, having a damn good time as often as possible.

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thanks JD… I can't wait to watch him…

18. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I was also pretty certain about your sarcasm, Sec 3 😉.

19. CN - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kilgore reporting that Kimball has been outrighted to Syracuse, so he's no longer on the 40-man. Very unfortunate set of circumstances, as Kimball looked to have a lot of promise as a late inning option before the shoulder issues.This is a curious move as these things normally happen A) during the off-season or B) when a corresponding move on the 40-man is made. Interesting to see if an immediate move is made to take up that precious 40 man spot.Kimball dropped from 40-man

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I was at last night's game after missing the Mets series as I was running a reunion.Time to string wins#EatFace#Harperpalooza

21. mick - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

keep it rolling boys…like I said yesterday…with Harp and Ramos back, this could be rock and roll time finally

22. mick - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

and i will be at game tonight!

23. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Good one, realdeal at 4:25. I was all set to make a joke about the stand-in taking Mark's job, as once happened to a baseball player in a famous story, but I couldn't recall the name of either player in the story. I hate when that happens. Then I tried an online search. Nada. I did turn up a cardboard cutout of a baseball player, so there's that. What was I looking for, again? Eh, never mind. Go, SS! Go, Bryce and Jayson! I want to hear some serious screaming from you guys tonight! And, and go, NATS!! That should about cover it.

24. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The 40 man slot was likely cleared for Christian Garcia who has to come off the 60-Day DL soon.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

David, certainly a possibility or still thinking Rizzo wants a RH outfielder.

26. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

27. Ishmael - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I can't believe Sean Halton is playing centerfield. That would be amusing. I'm guessing that Schafer is in center. Nice that Gomez is not playing.

28. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Wally Pipp. That is all. :-)

29. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Brewers appear to be throwing all of their LH bats at Strasburg tonight. No lefties left on the bench at all.

30. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

1a, nder Iron Man for $1000, "Babe Dahlgren".

31. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

32. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Wow they took out Gomez, their best player? Uhh…thanks.

33. Scooter - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Guess that's what Pipp gets for taking the day off, eh, 1a?

34. NCNatsie - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Don't feel bad about not remembering Wally Pipp's name, 1a. Someone once asked me the following question:"What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees in the old days, you know, the one who died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

35. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM

"Interesting that Strasburg has never faced Milwaukee. Milwaukee will be the last team to see him for the first time."That's bizarre…Eat your heart out, Wonk's tidbits! Keep 'em coming! ;-)(But there still is an NL team that hasn't faced Stras, but I'll let that one go 😉 )

36. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Julie Alexandria ‏@JulieAlexandria 36sPer Grounds crew: skies clear for now, showers on/off all throughout game. They anticipate an on time start, but "it could take a while"Ugh. I don't want to have to shut Strasburg down because of a rain delay.

37. Ishmael - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yes, it would be bad to have Strasburg pitch only a little bit and then have to go to the bullpen, but think how Milwaukee would feel. They played 14 Sunday, with a rain delay, and their starter was knocked out early last night.

38. Secret wasian man - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Didn't Wally Pipp sing backup for Gladys Night??

39. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Taylor Jordan's results might've been a little deceptive, though – in addition to not throwing too many strikes, he gave up an awful lot of hard-hit line drives that happened to be right at fielders – he had the same problem Wheeler had, essentially, in that the pitches that missed the strike zone didn't fool anyone so the batters could wait for something in a zone and crush it. The targeting right at defenders thing probably isn't too likely to continue, so that's something that could be concerning for the next start.If the team thinks there might be a rain delay during the game, I'd be surprised if they don't hold out and delay the game a bit or even postpone to tomorrow. They don't generally seem to like risking losing their starter early if they can help it, at least on Stras/Gio/Zimm days.

40. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Lucas Giolito is making his debut tomorrow in the GCL. He's scheduled to throw 2 innings.

41. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

EmDash said… Taylor Jordan's results might've been a little deceptive, though – in addition to not throwing too many strikes, he gave up an awful lot of hard-hit line drives that happened to be right at fieldersHe was also pretty darn nervous. I think _that_ part will at least be better the second time around.

42. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

David,That's exciting. The kid is not turning 19 until July 14th so I hope people have lots of patience and don't expect an unrealistic ascent to the majors.

43. b29d68ba-a878-11e2-8215-000bcdcb5194 - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I will be at the game tonight. At the picnic tables behind 312–with a sign. After the game starts, I will be in my usual seat in the accessible row of 313. If it rains a little bit, I'll have my cute (sorry, it is cute) baseball umbrella. If it rains a lot, I have enough sense to go in under the overhang. Hope to see some of you there.ArVAFan

44. Doc - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ben Standig in for you Mark?That's cool.Gooooooooooooooooooo Nats!!!Time to eat face, again!!!!

45. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

wasian — That's Gladys Knight. Show some respect.

46. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That's Gladys Knight. Show some respect.That's Aretha Franklin. Gladys Knight was Midnight Train to Georgia.

47. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Off-topic, but Willy's hurt again. From the AP:Minnesota Twins slugger Josh Willingham has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a torn meniscus in his left knee.

48. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Whereas "Respect Yourself" was the Staple Singers

49. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I seem to remember a Stras start- it rained….. There was Icy Hot involved…. I think I have blocked the rest of it out as it did not end well. But then, I feel that he is coping with adversity much better now. I , personally, and as a Nats fan, am very tired of growing stronger through adversity. Now I just want everything to be easy.

50. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

And "You don't respect yourself, which is your problem; but you don't respect the game, and that's my problem." was Crash Davis.

51. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Oh- you gave me such a fright, sunshine– when I read Willy's hurt, I thought you meant Ramos!!! Heart slowing down now.

52. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 36sHearing, as @AdamKilgoreWP is, that the #nats have signed some international prospects. Hoping to have more information in a bitThat's interesting. The Nats don't normally do that.

53. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 31mHearing the Nats signed about a half dozen international players as the signing period opens, a couple for decent money. More details later.

54. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

55. sjm308 - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You guys crack me up!Great pizza last night and tonight music references.The only music my 1st wife took were the Gladys Knight albums.

56. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I think Bernadina, Solano, Ramos, Soriano are our international players right now, correct? Not aware that we have any Asian players right now on the 40.

57. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Apart from Giolito coming back, we should be excited that Purke has been promoted to Potomac after brief dominance (two starts?) at Hagerstown. I'm pretty certain the Brain Trust thinks he was substantially ahead of the level of the Sally League. Otherwise the jump to Potomac makes little sense. Leads me to hope he makes it to Harrisburg by the end of the summer and, in my most optimistic moments, that he is ML-ready by, say, August 2014. When Purke was signed there were projections that he would make a quick ascent through the farm system. If all of the moving parts are healed then maybe that will come to pass. It's nice that Taylor Jordan looks like a real prospect, given his injury history. He still looks like he's a year-and-a half out. All along, however, Purke seems to have been regarded as the better prospect and I am anxious for someone to bridge the talent gap between the lower minors and the majors. It's unrealistic to hope the Nats can get through the next season-and-a half without someone in the rotation spending a bunch of time on the DL and I don't want them trading a bunch of the top-level talent for some sand-bag to throw in the breach. Control is everything. Control of the strike zone and control of the talent.

58. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

baseballswami said…I think Bernadina, Solano, Ramos, Soriano are our international players right now, correct?Correct, but how many of those did we sign from the international market? Soriano was a free agent signing after he was established. Ramos was a trade. Not sure about Solano and Bernadina.

59. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Gladys Knight was "I heard it through the grapevine," which indirectly gave us the California Raisins, one of the great moments in TV advertising.

60. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Sorry, Swami, didn't mean to get the Pacemaker all jacked out of shape.No, Ramos isn't scheduled to get hurt again until September.Only kidding, only kidding!

61. DWS - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Yeah but, that wasn't Gladys.

62. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Bernadina was an Expo so that goes back aways. How would you look something like that up? Bernie and Desi the only Expos left, correct?

63. DWS - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I think you're right swami. Doesn't matter really, they're still my team.

64. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I just think it's kind of cool- not too many MLB players around that have been with a team that switched cities and names and transformed into a new team. I would love to hear what that was like for them.

65. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Correct that Desi and Shark are the only two Expos. It's crazy to me that Desi has been in the organization since 2004.

66. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Buster Olney claiming the Fish have lowered their asking price on Nolasco to move him quickly.

67. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Abad is an international player as well, though of course not drafted by the Nats. Solano was an international signing of theirs in 2005. (I always check Baseball Reference for this sort of thing.) It's generally considered that international signings aren't an org strength, though, so it'd be very nice if that could be improved.

68. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Ben! I hope that Mark left plenty of Bourbon and Maalox for you. GYFNG! ESF!

69. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Given the lack of a first round pick this year, it would be great if we could find a good international prospect to sign.

70. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

CN – two possibilities on the Kimball move:1). They are about to activate Garcia from the 60-day DL, which would have put them over the 40 man limit.2). They are about to add a player from outside the organization.I would gather we will know soon as there was no other obvious reason that move had to happen right now.

71. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

And very true that Jordan was very likely nervous for his first start – he definitely looked it to me, and I can't blame him. His second start being on July 4, with a huge crowd and lots of likely important guests in the house for the holiday, unfortunately probably isn't the recipe to improve that…poor kid. Hopefully he'll be okay.

72. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I was just listening to the run support for pitchers conversation. I wonder if JZ's rhythm, pacing, consistency and the fact that the defense is very involved, helps the offense get going. They are not in the field long, they have to stay on their toes, JZ just exudes confidence. I wonder if it's not really a coincidence.

73. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Suzuki has to have at least a bit of Asian blood in him. And as for Lou Gehrig and the disease, gee you'd think he would have seen that one coming, wouldn't you?

74. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

David Proctor – apparently they are focused on a 15-year-old Dminican kid who isn't even eligible to sign until he turns 16 next month. As the article states, not someone you would expect to see in DC until about 2018 at the earliest.http://districtondeck.com/2013/07/02/international-signings-open-who-will-the-nats-target/

75. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Kurt Suzuki has Japanese blood in him.

76. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

To those going to the game — there's a rain delay, let's all meet at the picnic tables. Could be a long night…

77. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Suzuki was born and raised in Hawaii.

78. hiramhover - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

"Japanese blood in him."What is this – 1941?C'mon, guys.

79. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Grounds crew taking the tarp off. Strasburg is stretching in right field, getting ready for long toss. Looks like this one will start on time, or close to it anyway.

80. NatsLady - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM

It's pouring here in Burke. I could get to the game by 8:30. Is it worth it?

81. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Zook is an American. "Nuff said.I remember when Cole got injured. He was so exciting and then that. What a darn shame. I can't get MASN on my TV, but all other channels are up? Am I going to regret giving away my seat tonight? Argh.

82. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

on wiki, he is referred to as japanese american. wait why are we talking about his race?

83. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Thanks, Natsie. I laughed out loud.NCNatsie said… Don't feel bad about not remembering Wally Pipp's name, 1a. Someone once asked me the following question: "What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees in the old days, you know, the one who died of Lou Gehrig's disease? July 02, 2013 4:56 PM

84. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

lol what? unreal!

85. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Not talking about race- we were discussing whether or not the team had any international signings right now, which led to which players were born in other countries and how they were signed. We were doing some speculating, as fans often do. Cannot think of any Asian players, hence the question about Suzuki.

86. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

That was good as well. Wasn't "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" Marvin Gaye? But I digress.swami, the Icy Hot game popped into my mind as well. I don't think SS would risk a repeat, though.Will be watching on tv again but have fun at the park, y'all, and stay dry.Secret wasian man said… Didn't Wally Pipp sing backup for Gladys Night?? July 02, 2013 5:08 PM

87. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

swami – that article I posted above discusses the Nats' lack of involvement in the IFA market, and yes, no Asian signings that I can recall. Suzuki was born in Hawaii, so he wouldn't count as an IFA signing anyway.

88. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

ohka played for us.anyways, i do wanna see nationals more involved in asian market, especially japanese. maybe draft a high school pitcher and put them through our minor league system. we might find a darvish.

89. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I'll take Nats born in other countries for $100, please.Who is Roger Bernadina/the Shark? (Curaçao)

90. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

And we got CMWang from another major league team or as a free agent.

91. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Wait, we're both right: first recorded by Smokey Robinson, then by Marvin Gaye, then by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Gaye's version was released after the Knight version. And now you know the rest of the story. But I digress. Um, go, NATS!?

92. realdealnats - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM

1A: once my wife and I couldn't remember an actress's name and I said she reminds me of Annette Benning. And, of course, the senility was contagious so my wife couldn't remember either. The next day I said hey I was thinking of Michelle Pfeiffer–she's the one who reminded me of…of…and neither of us could remember. We all strike our separate peace with memory at a certain age.

93. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM

My husband and I do that, too. It's especially fun when the other party knows who you mean, but they can't recall the name either.

94. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Span has been hitting much better lately. To left field even.

95. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Watching him field fly balls and then hit like that is a thing of beauty.

96. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM

That's the Span we've been expecting. Rattle! Rattle! Rattle!

97. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM

This strike zone is atrocious!!!!!

98. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM

This homeplate ump is lost!

99. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

100. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

RZim missed the meatball on pitch #2 and Nats get lucky on a tailor made GIDP.

101. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Zim stepped on that bag very awkwardly. Hope he is ok. I like the pressure the Nats are putting on the pitcher.

102. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

agreed gonat. he has been very inconsistent.and fp is dead right. desi will swing on first pitch.

103. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Don't try to do too much now Desi!

104. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Faraz, oh ye of little faith!

105. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Big time wasted opportunity. Had the right guy up too.

106. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Can't believe the Nats didn't cash in there. Peralta was on fumes.

107. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM

True that it was a good opportunity, but how many times this season have we gone 1-2-3? At least they pushed, and also saw a ton of pitches. Rendon leads off.

108. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM

That bases loaded BA just keeps dropping.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Aramis Ramirez looked like a defective bobblehead there.

110. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

At the least, we're back to making the pitcher work. No more of those 10 pitch innings.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Gonat said… That bases loaded BA just keeps dropping. Actually the Nats are above Mendoza now on bases loaded chances at a .225 BA after that out.

112. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM

If they just keep putting together good at bats, eventually they should get some results.

113. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Same with Suzuki running it out and the bunt– just good fundamentals. Keep that up.

114. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM

We gave let this guy off the hook…….again

115. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Span swings at a pitch at his ankles. Come on man

116. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

BigCat, also the game of inches as Rendon just missed the double and Span's almost dropped in.That darn Babip guy!

117. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Span likes those pitches low. Many of his XBH have been golfed. That one might've been a bit too low, but he likes them down there.

118. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

He was out.

119. paul brandt - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

thought ALR could have sold it better with a better stretch.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

First hit was really an out.Now if somehow he pitchrd a 1 hitter it will be great debating the call.

121. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

He shouldn't have needed to sell that better, it wasn't even close. Horrid call.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM

You shouldnt have to sell an out. Just call what happened, not what you anticipating happening.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It was close but not a hard call

124. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Maybe I expect more out of a slap n Judy veteran ML hitter. I mean….swing at strikes man

125. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

So the balls and strikes suck, and now the first base ump also?

126. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Nats have to put a couple of runs up on the board this inning.

127. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Not looking promising with those super quick outs.

128. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM

it was closer than "horrid" IMO but its over, no harm done, ump missed it but don't assume ALR, that was my only point.

129. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Peralta must have late movement on those pitches. Nats just not getting solid contact.

130. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

And now we make it easier on a struggling pitcher?

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Lot of guys swinging at pitches that are low and most likely not in rge strike zone.

132. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Well Harper and Werth both popped up on pitches that were well up. LaRoche swung at a ball in the dirt.

133. Mark the Ump - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The 1B umpire's timing was to quick – watch on the replay on he signaled almost right away. Umpires are taught to read the play — then call it.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

We are swinging at too many balls that are way low. Though with this ump who knows.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

He called what he anticipated, not what happened

137. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I just feel that we had a horrible team on the ropes and as the innings go by we are letting them back into the game.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM

4 pitch walk after giving up a hit. Not a good recipe

139. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM

kigitimately?I like it.

140. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Stras has to get this batter.

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Pitching way too many pitches now.

142. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rendon to Desmond to ALR!

143. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

4-6-3!

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Got him 21 pitches that inning.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That was one sweet 463! Rendon!

146. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

saWEET doouble play there!

147. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Way to pace yourself Rendon! Beautiful!

148. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

CBS sports reporting tonight that umpire Brian Runge has been dismissed by MLB due to a failed drug test.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Knoxville, I actually thought you were joking thinking that was the 1st base ump. That's sad.

150. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Wait- an umpire failed a drug test?? And why are our hitters letting this pitcher off the hook??? They were wearing him down, and now they are making it easy. Stop it!

151. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Well Strasburg is leading off the next inning. The pitcher started our rallies yesterday.

152. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

well maybe we only need to score 1…get on base SS, move him over and bring him in, not that hard.

153. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Oh yeah. Peralta is off the hook big time. He was not ready to pitch, was falling all over the mound, cussing. …. But as usual it's 0-0 in the 5th.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Had this guy on the hook bssesloaded 2-0 count to Desmond following a walk that he could only hit soft pop 10 feet up to second. Thus couln't be a fastball.Ian took the wind out of the air immediately, and we have hit very poor since.

155. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We're not going to score 10 runs every time (although we had a chance for a crooked number early). Just have to score more than they do. Game is only halfway over.

156. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

It's too bad our pitchers never pitch out of terrible jams…Oh, wait…

157. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

That was NASTY Stras!!!

158. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I think Peralta would be just fine never batting against Stras again.

159. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Ramos hit by pitch, but he's okay. Has an 0-fer going but has thrown someone out and blocked several balls in the dirt. All this from various twitter people.

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Though Choo was from Korea nt japan. Carp taught me something.

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

The Brewers play Span like a poor hitting pitcher in their outfield alignment.

162. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

MNF, Choo is from South Korea.

163. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Ryan Braun will be out this entire series and possibly longer.

164. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Guys looking frustrated now.

165. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

is peralta available at the deadline? haha.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Werth not interested in swinging.See ball hit ball.This guy's ERA dropping under 5.50I thought hitters had turned it around. had Ian singled in 2 we would probably be up 6-0 now

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thank you Aoki!

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Is Shaffer so god he throws only junk to him?

169. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Wow just ridiculous. How about swinging. You just can't lose to this team and this pitcher. Apparently the last 2 games were a fluke. I ready for Bernie instead of Span

170. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Jeeeez. Zim

171. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Oh no RZim. Please no. E-5

172. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

pick him SS!

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

174. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That was the most odd error Zim has had all year.

175. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

meant pick him *up* SS!

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

And this is what you get after another error. I am so ticked right now.

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

He is falling the mound again.Why is McCatty so damn slow to stop the bleeding. After ball 1 was out there.

178. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Watch for squeeze first or sitcoms pitch

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

David Proctor said… That was the most odd error Zim has had all year.It's just another unforced error.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Got the K. Now one more out.

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Needed the K and got the K.

182. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That's how you pick someone up, Stras!!!

183. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

there you go, SS…alot of growin up just happened in those last two outs!

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Stras picked up Zimmerman and Zimmerman better return the favor.

185. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Stras does a good job picking up RZ.

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

SS bails out RZ

187. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I owe you Ghost!

188. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Don't ever believe again that Strasburg can't dig down when he has to.

189. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Kid needs help. How about some runs. Ughhhh this team.

190. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

he told Zim he has his back after the boob and he delivered, that is not something he has done before…think he knew he needed to grow up a bit…Gio growin' on him…like it.

191. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Bunting? Come on Bryce, that's an awful play.

192. Cwj - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Wow is it just me or has Stras, really grown up since getting off the dl?He's been really pitching amazingly and showing more positive emotion lately.That's awesome. Go Stras and Go Nats!

193. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Bryce, wtf? sorry, FP, I don't understand the thought process there…geezzz.

194. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

He also picked himself up–two walks in the inning weren't on Zim.

195. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

he was pitching pretty good so i can see why they would try to do something on their own.sorry to say this but glad to see him leave.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Fish just tied it up 3-3

197. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Sucks for Zimmerman. In a 2 strike count and you have to face somebody new? That's gotta be hard to adjust to.

198. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

No they weren't, NL, but the error really ran up Strasburg's pitch count.

199. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Another bum of a starting pitcher blanks us. Eck still gotta go

200. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

wow really?

201. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Make no mistake This Brew Crew is a bad ball club We need to sweep.

202. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Big cat agree. Hitting approach tonight sucks. If Stras comes back out and score is 0 0. We could be in trouble. I can't believe there pimpin Harp for allstar game. He missed 31 games. What a joke that game is.

203. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Peralta recently beat Atlanta, holding them to two hits. He is one if thosevguyscwhonis either very good or very bad. Good tonight after the first two. We had our chances early before he settled.

204. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Longest warmup ever.

205. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Should be rolling thru the brew crew. 3 stinking hits. Are you warm yet?…..

206. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

This Brewer team is a bad ball club that we need to sweep

207. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Barves playing the fish. We can't afford to lose to the brew crew.

208. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM

BigCat, agree but taking 4/4 is tough in the MLB, would be happy with 3/4.

209. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Natslady how ever you want to look at it. One of the walks was after the error. Your whole approach as a pitcher changes with 2 men on and there best batter up. Strasburg went to pitching to the corners on Aramais and walked him. With a man on just 1st he probably goes after the batter.

210. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

This pitcher is the human rain delay. Pathetic performance by Nats hitters tonight. Can't see them scoring tonight. Another wasted effort by Stras.

211. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Several of their better players are out of the lineup. Holding them to zero. Need to hit- had chances and then seemed to change approaches- back to the awfulness.

212. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Swm shows up to spread his negativity once again.

213. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

ALR with the jump of his lifetime and still gets pegged…ouch.

214. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Yes I do nats 128, get over it. Funny how when the team looks bad you attack me. Swami not real positive why don't you attack him ya big baby.

215. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I don't get that steal attempt. Between that and Harp's bunt, I'm just wonderin'

216. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Like FP said, LaRoche got a great jump but hesitated. I think he beats it if he runs straight.

217. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Brewers are all sittin on the FB. Keep spinning it Steven

218. ExposedinDC - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Firing the hitting coach at this point in the season would cause more harm than good and let's give Peralta some credit…he pitched one heck of a game.

219. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Christian Garcia went 1.1 innings (39 pitches) gave up 3 runs (2 earned). Didn't watch but must be a wild game, the Redwings manager was ejected. Danny has gone 0-6 today (so far–it's a double header). Marrero and Kobernus have remembered how to hit now that they are back in AAA. :)

220. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

NatsLady, How many K's for Danny tonight?

221. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

peralta pitched a good game except 1st inning. you want the offense to produce 20 runs each game?

222. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Danny. Tom Tresh

223. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

what a play rendon!

224. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Rendon WEB GEM!

225. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

OMG! That 4-6 play at second was one of the best I've seen.

226. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Wow!

227. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM

That's why I watch the games right there. Gotta love it!

228. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Not to take away anything from the previous 2nd baseman but he just wasn't a Web Gem type of fielder. That was spectacular as it saved a 1st and 3rd.

229. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Tom Tresh? BigCat, you are showing your age!

230. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

FP, you owe me a drink!I like how Desi showed the ump the ball after the play.

231. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Aww come on Ghost. A big reason Danny didn't have web gems was because he made everything look effortless there. I'm not a Danny fan and all and prefer Rendon, but Danny's defense is something you can't complain about.

232. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

No way David. Espi because of his shoulder stopped diving for balls this year. You are absolutely wrong. No way he makes that play.

233. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

In the first game, 1 strikeout. In the second game, none.

234. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I mean when he's healthy.

235. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Agree. Danny would of made that look easy. But rendon got it done

236. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Suki has been hot. Run!

237. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM

agree with David. Danny is still better than Rendon as far as defense is concerned.btw please don't run Nats.

238. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Ghost,really? are you talking about Espi or Lombo? if espi, think you are way off base…he was and assume, still is, an excellent defensive 2b with plenty of web gems in the bag.

239. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Come on, Chad, get a nice hit so Stras can win this game.

240. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Tracy goin yard!!!!! Please

241. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

David, yes, when healthy he makes that play. It certainly became a problem in one of those games right around his birthday that he would reach down and wasn't getting to balls like he used to but Danny would make tough plays look routine many times.Defense wasn't one of Danny's problems.

242. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Wow the pitch was RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE and Tracy missed it.

243. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

My stomach hurts,

244. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

sorry, just catching up, but I'm with DP on this one, Ghost. You can't tell me Espi doesn't make that play & neither can I but I think he makes it without having the need to dive…but, hey, doesn't matter.

245. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Oh Tracy. Henderson makes a huge mistake pitch.

246. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Chad Tracy. Really? He is awful. How about Lombo. Everybody trying to hit a HR. bad approach

247. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Yeah. And the next one was right down the middle. Tracy just can't catch up to the 95+. He needs to go

248. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Can Stras borrow some runs from Gio or JZ in the future?

249. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 15sDrew Storen for the 8th in a 0-0 ballgame. Brewers bullpen came into today with a 2.82 ERA this season – 2nd-best in the majors.I didn't realize Brewers bullpen was so good. We needed to take advantage of that first inning.

250. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I hope Michael Gonzales isn;t as good against us as he was FOR us last year. I came to like it when he came in from the 'pen.

251. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Homer Baily no hitter alert in the 8th.

252. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM

The Giants hitting worse than these 2 teams.Homer Bailey has no hitter in 8th

253. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Double play would be nice right about now.

254. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Homer Bailey no-hitting the Giants through 8.

255. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Brewers are running here

256. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

is logan schafer related to jordan?

257. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I owe yoy ghost. On to the 9th

258. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Dammit Drew…

259. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Did Storen even look at the runner?

260. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Storen is ticking me off.

261. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Better watch it. They will steal 3rd. Drew never looks

262. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

No, Storen doesn't look at runners.

263. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Storen is like throwing in the towel. Trade him.

264. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Did we work on anything in spring training ?

265. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Storen is unscored upon in 16 of his last 17. Stop it

266. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Good pitch right there.

267. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Big out for Drew… Come on Storen… Lets get a double play here…Damn flight delay made me miss most of the game…

268. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Have you seen the nats try a pick off play at second ALL year?

269. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Drew, please watch the runners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

270. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM

None of our pitchers hold runners well… Not just Drew…

271. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Last guy to thro a no no was Bailey last Sepember

272. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Brutal.

273. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Well. Didn't matter if he stole it or not.

274. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

That may be the game…

275. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

What is it with when we start complimenting Drew like we did after last night.

276. Timothy Folk - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Hey get him out the game man… he cant handle pressure

277. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

We have top of the lineup coming up in the 8th at least.

278. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Fast ball right down the middle is that what Suzuki wanted?Davey allowed this. When obviously he has nothing you need yank him before he does damage which of course Davey didn't

279. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Man. Bailey is two outs away from another no-no.

280. Unknown - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Disgusting. I'm done with this game. This team has no heart — 0% chance of a comeback.

281. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

its like they know what's coming the way they are swinging.

282. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Nats have 8 come from behind wins in the month of June alone. But you're right, no heart or comeback.I swear.

283. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Yikes. Harp.

284. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I'd rather get the run than a crash. Seriously.

285. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM

You just knew after we let that big stiff peralta off the hook that we would once again go into our shell. We haven't done crap since. Sooner or later, even a pitiful team like the brewers will break through. Ohhhh Bryce. A double??? Jeeeeeez!!!

286. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

It just went to hell in a hand basket…

287. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Holy sh*t. Drew wasn't even close to moving when he jumped. I've never seen that before.

288. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Homer Bailey no hitter

289. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

No hitter by Bailey

290. Unknown - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:54 AM

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!Storen is not a major league pitcher.

291. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

The catcher running on us now? All of this scoring with 2 outs, is that correct?

292. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

That was a helluva jump…. Damn, our pitchers can't hold runners at all…This is a bad night for Drew…. Davey has to manage better… His pitcher can't find anything besides his FB… Gotta get him before damage…

293. karlkolchak - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

And I had just today defended Drew on another site after a writer wrote an article claiming that he was a big part of the Nats' problems and obviously hadn't noticed his recent improvement. Crap.

294. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Storen as I said earlier ticking me off.Strasburg 3 hits in 7 innings Storen 4 hits in 1 inning.Thanks

295. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

congrats to bailey.otoh, why was bryce sleeping in of? some serious unluck.

296. Raphael Talisman - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Isn't it baseball 101 to look at the lead runner?!

297. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I tell you what really p***ed me off: Storen putting his hands on his hips and glaring at Harper when he didn't get that ball.

298. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Everybody kills me for being negative. But are you kidding? Guys jogging stealing bases. Dropped fly ball. You can't defend that. Disgusting by Bryce. And hes supposed to go to the all star game? Storen is despicable. I am just flabbergasted.

299. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Disgusting by Bryce? He's a 20 year old who is one day removed from a 31 day stint on the DL after crashing into a wall. These are HUMAN BEINGS and things effect them. He'll be the first to tell you he screwed up, but he's the last guy people need to be getting on right now.Drew's refusal to hold the runner on the other hand…unacceptable.

300. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Last night is history. Present is what the focus must be.

301. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Yes. That is on drew. But it's also on davey and mccatty. Holding runners is high school stuff and its gone on ALL year. Teams scout you know. This was pitiful. Snd it starts in spring training. "Wild card or bust!"

302. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

bad inning. clear E by Bryce, was not a double. Drew had a tough inning, no question and must learn to hold runners and locate pitches better than he did 15 mins ago but not ready to give up on the guy.

303. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I'm curious to know from those of you who went to Viera this year, did the Nats work AT ALL on holding base runners? I swear we have to have the worse bunch of pitchers when it comes to holding a runner on base.

304. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

The team is a mess. Fans deserve better. Davey has done an awful job. Team couldn't hold runners last year in October. Through 82 games and alllllllllll of spring training we still can't hold anybody on. That's on Davey.

305. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

No way to sugarcoat it. He had to limit the damage and he didn't. 2-0 you deal with it. 4-0 is a meltdown.

306. karlkolchak - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Secret wasian man – with this crappy game I'll say what I've said a few times before, namely that there is something fundamentally wrong with the chemistry of this team that has been causing lackluster play and sloppy performances all year. Whatever magic they had last year is long gone. None of us will ever know what really goes on inside that clubhouse, but something clearly isn't right.

307. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

To be fair, Drew had the final out and Harper botched it. The final run is the one that really pisses me off because he didn't even bother to look the runner back and that lapse in concentration is just unacceptable.

308. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Good point David on the final out to Harper.

309. karlkolchak - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM

When Garcia is ready to come off the DL, maybe Mr. Storen needs to go back to Syracuse to work on his fundamentals.

310. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM

As bad as this (likely) loss is, especially with Braves winning, the idea was to win 3/4. We can still do that. Tomorrow's game is big…we need a stellar performance from Det and for the offense to show up.

311. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I hate to post this but have any of you thought for a minute that maybe last year was an aberration and that maybe this (2013) version of the Nats is truly who we are?

312. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I'm still watching and hoping.

313. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

gonzo is not coming to a stop in his stretch and shld be a balk…may be wrong, but its a real quick pause.

314. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

No, because many guys are performing under career norms, KN.

315. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Excellent posts by the last several people. Is it chemistry? Or no talent. Rizzo killed the bullpen. Getting rid of Morse killed the clubhouse. And eliminated power.. This is a .500 team. That's it. I'm also pi. D that they are letting Bryce off easy. That was a pathetic play on his part. Bryce is playing scared.

316. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I really think Drew Storen would benefit from a different work environment. That happens to most of us at some time.

317. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Drew 3.82 to 4.75. ERA. That is not good.Holding runners who is the coach respobsible as none arr good at that. NONE.That coach is poorer than Eck because no one is wrking on that.

318. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM

why does jekyl & hyde come to mind when watching this team day in & day out…just when you think they have turned the corner, they lay an egg…don't get it but there are still 3 outs to go.

319. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM

I turned to the no hitter. Kind of glad, too, because at the first sign of it not being 2012 anymore, Nats fans show how un- classy they are becoming. Starting to feel like Philadelphia. Had our chances early, god forbid a reliever who has been fantastic should give up a couple of runs. Stay classy ,Nats fans.

320. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Last year was no fluke. But Rizzo tweaked the carburetor and now the mower runs like crap.

321. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:11 AM

They should have made Storen finish his mess.

322. sjm308 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Wow – that pretty much suckedI was screaming to take him out after the first two runners were on but of course, that wasn't going to happen. No movement in the pen at all, and yet last night Davey had no problems getting Stammen out.Very disappointed and I also noticed how the game just comes to a snails pace once Storen let's a runner on. Fielders can't enjoy that any more than the fans.

323. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

We need to look at trends, not individual games folks. This one stings, but we've won 8/12. And in those 4 losses, people always come on and say the season is over. We are going to lose games.This one hurts because Stras was brilliant and we had an early opportunity, but these will happen too. I'm more concerned with trends and I like the way we're going.

324. Unknown - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I'm proud of all those who booed. The fans deserve better than this tripe.

325. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

DP, how many of the 2012 Nats played over their career norms? Right now I'm thinking the Nats of 2013 look more like the 2011 Nats than the 2012 version. And the 2011 Nats were essentially a .500 team.

326. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

He could final out on Franciso with no runs. Throw ball he hits it at the same angle it was a double play to Rendon.So no reason to be pissed at Harper, be pissed at yourself.This was game 5 to me. He refused to do what he needed.

327. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Blue Jays have DFA'd Wang. That didn't last long.

328. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Swami – people are expressing their disgust that the Nats pitchers can't hold runs… Had the batter not fouled that ball off, it would have been a double steal… And Drew didnt even look at the other runner…It is okay for fans to boo… They are paying to see fundamentals and a great game…That has nothing to do with being classy…

329. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM

C'mon Swami. Dropped fly ball and a guy tip toeing to third and the pitcher never looks? That little league stuff. Not MLB. Nobody should have to look at that garbage with a smile on their face.

330. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

does not look or hear like there are many people left at the game.

331. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

"DP, how many of the 2012 Nats played over their career norms?"LaRoche barely did. Desmond did, but he's replicating it. Werth didn't, Zim didn't, Rendon wasn't here, Harper was his first year. Who all exactly vastly overperformed except for bench guys (which I will admit is a problem–but not the reason we're losing so many games)?

332. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM

No- they actually do not even deserve to have a team. Five outstanding weeks , 2 runs and the fans are booing???? You have got to be kidding me that our team, who has been struggling and working as hard as they can, deserves their " fans " booing them after scoring 23 runs the last two days. It's Bryce's freak ing second game. I am embarrased by and ashamed of the fans.

333. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM

You guys all cheerleaded when Rizzo started moving Harper all around the outfield. He was a centerfielder and he should have been left in centerfielder. Of all the boneheaded things ever done by a general manager, Rizzo gets into the running for that idiotic move, done he said to make things easier on Bryce.He played center as a rookie and did an amazing job and dumbass Rizzo decides to move him for no good reason at all. Rizzo needs to go.

334. sjm308 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM

335. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM

As much as I pay for a ticket I expect my team to win. I have no problem booing if deserved or if antone else wants to not boo too that is fine.If tgeir skin for boos they are in the wrong occupation.

336. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM

David Proctor said… Blue Jays have DFA'd Wang. That didn't last long.Seriously? The guy just pitched in the game tonight. 7.13 ERA and that happens.

337. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Oh, yeah, because that final out to Harper was such a soft fly ball to an injured player, babip and all that. Storen gets 100 percent of the blame for his inning.

338. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Uhn… They don't deserve to have a team becuz they are upset at seeing lack of fundamentals being played out…It's just like the displeasure being expressed on the board…

339. DJB - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

There is clearly a chemistry issue. I have a number of theories. Obviously no one knows the true source. Theory 1 is that the source is Ryan Zimm. I've managed a lot of individuals, and when someone says he's not a "rah rah" guy, it really bothers me. It could be he's a lunch bucket player, or someone who is having trouble blending with other personalities. Theory 2 is the "head case" theory. The theory goes that certain players, most prominently Storen and Zimm, are having difficulty with the pressure of expectations. Theory 3 is more imminent; I call it the trade deadline. Some players, most likely Storen, know they are going to be traded, and are none too happy with the situation. Really a bad situation, whatever theory it turns out to be.

340. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:19 AM

WODL. Trade Span for a bench guy with power. Then put Bernie in left. Bryce in center

341. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I have no issues with any fans booing their team as a way to express displeasure… Storen can't hold runners… That was a bad error by Bryce… Davey left Storen in when he probably should have taken him out after the first 2 runners…Paying customers expect better… And in sports, it doesn't matter what they did yesterday or the day before… It matters the right now…It wasnt a good inning by the Nats at all…

342. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM

"MLB Trade Rumors‏@mlbtraderumors44s Blue Jays Designate Chien-Ming Wang For Assignment"Only Rizzo would write 3 one year contracts for a guy like Wang. The Blue Jays made a decision to dump him in less than a month.

343. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Wang was a 20+ game winner with the Yankees. Nobody could've foreseen his fall from grace. Can we not rewrite history when we're upset, please?

344. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:21 AM

And let's not confuse peralta with Nolan Ryan either. He was 5-9 with a 5.58 era coming in. He had given up 111 hits in 90 innings with only 50 k's. course, we just can't sniff him. Agree with you kolchak. Whatever magic we had last year is long gone.

345. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Ghost, this game and the game before. Wang gave the Blue Jays two good games, one below average, and two total STINKERS.

346. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

strasburg greatKrol niceStoren. Looked like he was pitching to another team.

347. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM

And Swami – don't forget, as soon as Drew threw to first to attempt to hold the runner, fans cheered too….sjm308 said…First time this year I have left a game early and I pay with a 14 min. Wait for a train to green belt. Just one of those nights. Hate to see a gem by SS wasted====So many of SS's game this year remind me of Jordan's last year when he didnt get run support….

348. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Desmond had he like that in the first it would have been a whole different game.He is the other goat ofcthe game with Storen though his goat only 10%.But 5 runs here and Krol wins

349. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

David, Wang never won 20 in a season.

350. waddu eye no - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

come on germans – bomb pearl harbor!gyfng

351. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Anyone who knows anything about Broadway or Hollywood knows that you do not move your Rookie of the Year centerfield to leftfield unless you are a killjoy who can't enjoy success. Rizzo couldn't stand having a crummy leftfielder who hit, so he brought in a slaphitting centerfielder and ruined his whole story.Cramped thinking. Put Harper back where he was and deal Span and Storen and get us someone with power. Tonight was the first time since the Minnesota doubleheader that we have had a lead-off runner on to start the game. Keep watching for the media to tell us how terrible Harper was in the outfield and how Rizzo had to bring in someone because Harper couldn't field the position.

352. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Yeah NL – I was about to say… I swear Wang was half way decent for the BJs… But it didnt take them long…

353. DJB - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

A team that plays poorly deserves to be booed. They get paid millions of dollars. They are not struggling to support a family. On the other hand, the fans that pay might just be. So get off it, Swami, they are not going to take our team. It might just result in a better one.

354. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Outside.

355. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Great time for the ump to widen the strike zone.

356. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

If you can't win 20 for the Yankees, you aren't going to win 10 for anybody else, Mr. Wang….

357. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Wow… This ump is giving the outside…

358. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Ump has a date…

359. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

DP, my point is that some things in 2012 were so hard to predict, the early success of Harper for example, that not many people, me included, saw a 98 win season coming. One big difference I see from 2011 to this year or even last year, is our catchers throwing out base stealers and I place almost all of that on our pitchers. That and we no longer have Pudge behind the plate. Not knowing what goes on in meetings prior to a game or a series, I have to put a lot of this on coaching and believe that holding base runners is simply not stressed by the current coaching staff.

360. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I have been a fan of CMW's for a long time. Never–OK, rarely–seen a guy work harder and with more determination against such long odds. I thought for sure he would go to Japan, but he took the minor-league deal and got back to the majors. I thought he might make it.

361. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Wangs 1st game of the season he gave up 5 runs. 2nd game no runs. 3rd game 1 run. Tonight 7 runs over 1 inning. 2 good games. 2 bad games.

362. karlkolchak - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Knoxville Nat – I think the truth about this team lies somewhere in the middle–they were probably not the best team in baseball last year (caught a lot of breaks and their bench players all played much better than as we are now seeing than they are normally capable), but they are better than this. I don't know if Davey put it on autopilot after his silly WS or Bust statement or what, but this is a grossly underachieving team that has been less than the sum of its parts and often just doesn't look ready to compete except for the six most exceptional players (Stras, J-Zimm, Gio, Bryce, Desi and Rendon).

363. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

364. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

You're not the only one NL (being a fan of Wang)… That is how I was with HRod for a Long time… But my breaking point came like 2 years ago and had been disgusted he was still on the team…I wish him well but I'm glad he isn't with the Nats anymore…Also feel that way about EJax…

365. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Did I read right some one complaining about Span?Last 10 games 14 for 40 .350?How high woyld he have to bat to be satisfactory?

366. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

I do believe any Replacement player would be better than Bernadina — he lets center cut fb's go by — but flails at sliders in the dirt — I'm done. 7th inning — score 0-0. runner on first, no out. Result? 3 outs recorded, same runner still on first. No steal, no bunt, no pinchrunner, no nothing to produce a run. Another Dave Johnson Gem of a managed game. Feel bad for Stras – deserved much better.

367. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Nats 128, on June 27 also 7 earned in 1.2 innings pitched, just like tonight. So, 2 good games (really, quite good), but 3 bad games. The Jays won the 5 run game on June 11, and Wang went 7 innings when their bullpen was in shreds, so they were more-or-less happy.

368. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM

You are going to play the ten game thing? Well, then Storen was sensational tonight because he was great the last ten games. That is beneath anyone. We didn't need Span. Rizzo wanted him and no one else did.

369. Nats 128 - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

NatsLady, you are right. 3 really bad games and 2 very good games. Hes a 1 pitch pitcher and thats tough. As we kno when Wang doesnt have the sinker working its just BP.

370. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I saw a guy in the Mets series for the Mets who was hitting over .400. Hard to believe.

371. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Storen didnt get the memo that Strasburg and Krol did.No runs allowed tonight boys.You got to read the emails men.

372. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Storen missed the memo in a game in October also….

373. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Karlkolchak,I like the six individuals you identified as " most exceptional" and note in particular who is not included, I.e., Ryan Zimmerman, ALR and Werth. Three of the bigger contracts on the team if you didn't already know.And you are spot on in saying Davey's "world series or bust" comment was silly. The rest of MLB is laughing their butts off at him right now.

374. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Davey kind of talks like Boomhauer.

375. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I'm reading the posts and chuckling. (I tuned in late.) Early this year, I was run out of here for predicting a .500 ballclub — citing many things: weak bullpen, no Morse, mistake on getting Haren, poor management of Davey — I am amused to see the very same people who literally asked me to leave (which I did for awhile) are now quoting me. It's all good though. next year, Davey will be gone and we will always have a team, which win or lose, I enjoy watching.

376. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Werth is hitting .350 over his last month. Ryan Zimmerman has the best BA on the team with RISP and one of the best in the entire National League.

377. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM

It's always interesting reading the comments when the Nats lose vs when they win…

378. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Davey plays post to post baseball. We run on no one — Everyone runs on us – at will. Teams bunt, squeeze, double steal, hit and run — what do we do? We wait for the long bomb.This team could be so much better — with more imaginative and aggressive managing. No wonder Davey always wears out his welcome everywhere he goes. I can really see why now.

379. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I love the month thing and the week thing and the day thing, but you rarely hear about how a player is doing bi-weekly anymore….I would be willing to bet that the Nationals were the hottest team in baseball Sunday and Monday, but today they tied for the least hot. Those sorts of points are worth about how much we scored today….

380. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I missed the Harper play in left. Did he make an error? Why is everyone so mad at him?

381. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Very disappointed in the final boxscore. Stras pitched real good. Defense came up big except for RZim's error and Harper's strange play which should be an error.Storen's big mistake was the walk to Weeks. That started the issues along with his inability to hold runner(s). Unless Dru can change his ability to hold runners he will be in a stopper role and go until runners get on base with less than 2 outs.

382. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I am enjoying the Mets/Arizona game. Arizona playing terrible ball, really bad. Just gave up a run because Goldschmidt wasn't ready. Miami was doing OK, leading 3-2, I thought they had a chance to win it but their bullpen COMPLETELY imploded.

383. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM

New post

384. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Harper went up against the wall and the ball sort of slipped out of his glove. People are saying he just shied away. Myself, I don't think the ball was an automatic out (neither did the official scorer, who scored it a double). Harper had the right read on it. That would have been the third out, and the game would have been 2-0. However, just prior to that, Span had caught a very long ball in center. They were teeing off Storen big time.

385. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM

NatsLady, we were talking this morning about the NL West. I predicted LA will win the NL West with 86 wins.I think JD said the Giants will take the NL West.Corbin will get his 1st lost of the year. He was ripe for a bad game.

386. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:59 AM

They will win the east.I am not a negative Nellie as far as record goes

387. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Swami – Bernadina was signed by Montreal in 2001 as an amateur Free agent.

388. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Ah! thanks Nats Lady — I gotta find some replays. Poor Storen — just doesn't have it this year. Did he really stare down Harper? My opinion of his character will drop as low as my opinion of his pitching if he really did.

389. Unknown - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:09 AM

2012 was not a fluke. Nats earned it all. Braves had 4th highest win total in MLB. This year, injuries and poor hitting by Span, LaRoche, Espinosa, and Suzuki, and the abysmal fielding have essentially wasted the work of one of MLB's best pitching staffs, especially with Duke and HRod gone and Krol here, and hopefully Garcia coming. Oh, yeah, and Haren being just putrid. With a little better hitting and a consistent 4th and 5th starter, this team can get back to being a top five in the NL. But it might not happen until next year. If still treading water at deadline time, you have to move Span and LaRoche for younger guys.