Game 83: Brewers at Nats

Jul 2, 2013, 7:54 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The Nationals scored 10 runs last night, so why would Davey Johnson change his lineup for tonight's game against the Brewers? So, it's Jayson Werth (coming off a five-RBI performance) in the No. 2 spot again, with Bryce Harper batting third and Anthony Rendon batting seventh.

Stephen Strasburg (3-1, 1.64 ERA over his last seven starts) is on the mound for the Nationals, looking to continue his recent hot streak and hoping he gets the kind of run support Jordan Zimmermann got last night. Right-hander Wily Peralta starts for Milwaukee, which has now lost six straight.

I'm off tonight (my only night off in a stretch of 18 days), and Chase is heading out on vacation. But never fear, the talented Ben Standig will have full coverage tonight on CSNwashington.com, and I'll have links to his articles right here on Nats Insider. Enjoy the game…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 185
Weather: Chance of storms, 79 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper

1. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Julie Alexandria tweeted a photo of the Nats lineup. Harper, Strasburg, and Rendon, all playing. When Rendon was drafted in 2011, we dreamt of this day. Kind of cool to see it in black and white. ‏@JulieAlexandriaYour nationals lineup pic.twitter.com/fl19iFk0na

2. MicheleS - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

On my way….keep the line moving boys….GYFNG!!!

3. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Alexandria (the sideline reporter, not the city) is getting better as the year goes on. The last couple of pre-game interviews weren't Mike Wallace but better than Good Morning America.

4. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Mike Wallace is still a better clubhouse manager. But Julie Alexandria is way hotter.

5. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

How did T Jordan look his last night out?

6. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

It's a shame they can't put Werth into the lineup further down so he can drive in some runs.

7. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Whenever I know Davey is going to be on national tv I cringe, wondering what he will say . I bet the players never know, either, given some of the embarrassing things he has revealed. Guy has never had much of a filter.

8. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Werth- he is only second at the start of the game– he had plenty of base runners to drive in last night.

9. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

He did indeed, swami.

10. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Davey made it clear that Werth didn't like batting second. Davey told Werth exactly that…it's only batting second first and he'd have plenty of men on base. And then Werth has a 5 RBI game. I'm guessing Werth is cool with it now.

11. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

If he was not cool with it before, the whole scoring lots of runs and winning thing should help convince him.

12. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Mrs. B. Jordan looked pretty good. The Mets only got a couple of hits against him in a little under 5 innings but the defense (mainly Zim) booted the ball all over the place which really hurt him. My only real criticism of Jordan was that he was mostly pitching from behind. He has to throw strike one more often.

13. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

''I don't necessarily like hitting second,'' Werth said. ''But if that's the best for our team, I've said it before: Last year when I led off, it wasn't personally the best fit for me, but it was the best for our team and that's why I felt like it should have happened. And the same goes for me hitting second now.''

14. realdealnats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Sure that's not Ben Standin spotting you guys tonight?

15. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Werth made it clear it wasn't his first choice, but he did it because it made sense for the team. I was just having fun after yesterday's discussion about why he should/should not hit 2. Thought the career-high RBI day was funny in that context.

16. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

DP, your post @4:24 is not surprising to me. I don't understand people saying Werth's ego was too big to bat 7th or whatever. I feel pretty certain that Werth cares about nothing as much as he cares about the team doing well and, above even that, having a damn good time as often as possible.

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Thanks JD… I can't wait to watch him…

18. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I was also pretty certain about your sarcasm, Sec 3 ;).

19. CN - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Kilgore reporting that Kimball has been outrighted to Syracuse, so he's no longer on the 40-man. Very unfortunate set of circumstances, as Kimball looked to have a lot of promise as a late inning option before the shoulder issues.This is a curious move as these things normally happen A) during the off-season or B) when a corresponding move on the 40-man is made. Interesting to see if an immediate move is made to take up that precious 40 man spot.Kimball dropped from 40-man

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I was at last night's game after missing the Mets series as I was running a reunion.Time to string wins#EatFace#Harperpalooza

21. mick - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

keep it rolling boys…like I said yesterday…with Harp and Ramos back, this could be rock and roll time finally

22. mick - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

and i will be at game tonight!

23. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Good one, realdeal at 4:25. I was all set to make a joke about the stand-in taking Mark's job, as once happened to a baseball player in a famous story, but I couldn't recall the name of either player in the story. I hate when that happens. Then I tried an online search. Nada. I did turn up a cardboard cutout of a baseball player, so there's that. What was I looking for, again? Eh, never mind. Go, SS! Go, Bryce and Jayson! I want to hear some serious screaming from you guys tonight! And, and go, NATS!! That should about cover it.

24. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The 40 man slot was likely cleared for Christian Garcia who has to come off the 60-Day DL soon.

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

David, certainly a possibility or still thinking Rizzo wants a RH outfielder.

26. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM

27. Ishmael - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I can't believe Sean Halton is playing centerfield. That would be amusing. I'm guessing that Schafer is in center. Nice that Gomez is not playing.

28. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Wally Pipp. That is all. :-)

29. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Brewers appear to be throwing all of their LH bats at Strasburg tonight. No lefties left on the bench at all.

30. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

1a, nder Iron Man for $1000, "Babe Dahlgren".

31. Eric - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

32. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Wow they took out Gomez, their best player? Uhh…thanks.

33. Scooter - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Guess that's what Pipp gets for taking the day off, eh, 1a?

34. NCNatsie - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Don't feel bad about not remembering Wally Pipp's name, 1a. Someone once asked me the following question:"What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees in the old days, you know, the one who died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

35. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM

"Interesting that Strasburg has never faced Milwaukee. Milwaukee will be the last team to see him for the first time."That's bizarre…Eat your heart out, Wonk's tidbits! Keep 'em coming! ;-)(But there still is an NL team that hasn't faced Stras, but I'll let that one go ;-) )

36. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Julie Alexandria ‏@JulieAlexandria 36sPer Grounds crew: skies clear for now, showers on/off all throughout game. They anticipate an on time start, but "it could take a while"Ugh. I don't want to have to shut Strasburg down because of a rain delay.

37. Ishmael - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yes, it would be bad to have Strasburg pitch only a little bit and then have to go to the bullpen, but think how Milwaukee would feel. They played 14 Sunday, with a rain delay, and their starter was knocked out early last night.

38. Secret wasian man - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Didn't Wally Pipp sing backup for Gladys Night??

39. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Taylor Jordan's results might've been a little deceptive, though – in addition to not throwing too many strikes, he gave up an awful lot of hard-hit line drives that happened to be right at fielders – he had the same problem Wheeler had, essentially, in that the pitches that missed the strike zone didn't fool anyone so the batters could wait for something in a zone and crush it. The targeting right at defenders thing probably isn't too likely to continue, so that's something that could be concerning for the next start.If the team thinks there might be a rain delay during the game, I'd be surprised if they don't hold out and delay the game a bit or even postpone to tomorrow. They don't generally seem to like risking losing their starter early if they can help it, at least on Stras/Gio/Zimm days.

40. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Lucas Giolito is making his debut tomorrow in the GCL. He's scheduled to throw 2 innings.

41. A DC Wonk - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM

EmDash said… Taylor Jordan's results might've been a little deceptive, though – in addition to not throwing too many strikes, he gave up an awful lot of hard-hit line drives that happened to be right at fieldersHe was also pretty darn nervous. I think _that_ part will at least be better the second time around.

42. JD - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

David,That's exciting. The kid is not turning 19 until July 14th so I hope people have lots of patience and don't expect an unrealistic ascent to the majors.

43. b29d68ba-a878-11e2-8215-000bcdcb5194 - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I will be at the game tonight. At the picnic tables behind 312–with a sign. After the game starts, I will be in my usual seat in the accessible row of 313. If it rains a little bit, I'll have my cute (sorry, it is cute) baseball umbrella. If it rains a lot, I have enough sense to go in under the overhang. Hope to see some of you there.ArVAFan

44. Doc - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Ben Standig in for you Mark?That's cool.Gooooooooooooooooooo Nats!!!Time to eat face, again!!!!

45. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM

wasian — That's Gladys Knight. Show some respect.

46. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

That's Gladys Knight. Show some respect.That's Aretha Franklin. Gladys Knight was Midnight Train to Georgia.

47. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Off-topic, but Willy's hurt again. From the AP:Minnesota Twins slugger Josh Willingham has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a torn meniscus in his left knee.

48. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Whereas "Respect Yourself" was the Staple Singers

49. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I seem to remember a Stras start- it rained….. There was Icy Hot involved…. I think I have blocked the rest of it out as it did not end well. But then, I feel that he is coping with adversity much better now. I , personally, and as a Nats fan, am very tired of growing stronger through adversity. Now I just want everything to be easy.

50. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

And "You don't respect yourself, which is your problem; but you don't respect the game, and that's my problem." was Crash Davis.

51. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Oh- you gave me such a fright, sunshine– when I read Willy's hurt, I thought you meant Ramos!!! Heart slowing down now.

52. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 36sHearing, as @AdamKilgoreWP is, that the #nats have signed some international prospects. Hoping to have more information in a bitThat's interesting. The Nats don't normally do that.

53. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 31mHearing the Nats signed about a half dozen international players as the signing period opens, a couple for decent money. More details later.

54. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

55. sjm308 - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You guys crack me up!Great pizza last night and tonight music references.The only music my 1st wife took were the Gladys Knight albums.

56. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I think Bernadina, Solano, Ramos, Soriano are our international players right now, correct? Not aware that we have any Asian players right now on the 40.

57. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Apart from Giolito coming back, we should be excited that Purke has been promoted to Potomac after brief dominance (two starts?) at Hagerstown. I'm pretty certain the Brain Trust thinks he was substantially ahead of the level of the Sally League. Otherwise the jump to Potomac makes little sense. Leads me to hope he makes it to Harrisburg by the end of the summer and, in my most optimistic moments, that he is ML-ready by, say, August 2014. When Purke was signed there were projections that he would make a quick ascent through the farm system. If all of the moving parts are healed then maybe that will come to pass. It's nice that Taylor Jordan looks like a real prospect, given his injury history. He still looks like he's a year-and-a half out. All along, however, Purke seems to have been regarded as the better prospect and I am anxious for someone to bridge the talent gap between the lower minors and the majors. It's unrealistic to hope the Nats can get through the next season-and-a half without someone in the rotation spending a bunch of time on the DL and I don't want them trading a bunch of the top-level talent for some sand-bag to throw in the breach. Control is everything. Control of the strike zone and control of the talent.

58. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM

baseballswami said…I think Bernadina, Solano, Ramos, Soriano are our international players right now, correct?Correct, but how many of those did we sign from the international market? Soriano was a free agent signing after he was established. Ramos was a trade. Not sure about Solano and Bernadina.

59. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Gladys Knight was "I heard it through the grapevine," which indirectly gave us the California Raisins, one of the great moments in TV advertising.

60. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Sorry, Swami, didn't mean to get the Pacemaker all jacked out of shape.No, Ramos isn't scheduled to get hurt again until September.Only kidding, only kidding!

61. DWS - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Yeah but, that wasn't Gladys.

62. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Bernadina was an Expo so that goes back aways. How would you look something like that up? Bernie and Desi the only Expos left, correct?

63. DWS - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I think you're right swami. Doesn't matter really, they're still my team.

64. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I just think it's kind of cool- not too many MLB players around that have been with a team that switched cities and names and transformed into a new team. I would love to hear what that was like for them.

65. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Correct that Desi and Shark are the only two Expos. It's crazy to me that Desi has been in the organization since 2004.

66. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Buster Olney claiming the Fish have lowered their asking price on Nolasco to move him quickly.

67. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Abad is an international player as well, though of course not drafted by the Nats. Solano was an international signing of theirs in 2005. (I always check Baseball Reference for this sort of thing.) It's generally considered that international signings aren't an org strength, though, so it'd be very nice if that could be improved.

68. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Ben! I hope that Mark left plenty of Bourbon and Maalox for you. GYFNG! ESF!

69. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Given the lack of a first round pick this year, it would be great if we could find a good international prospect to sign.

70. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

CN – two possibilities on the Kimball move:1). They are about to activate Garcia from the 60-day DL, which would have put them over the 40 man limit.2). They are about to add a player from outside the organization.I would gather we will know soon as there was no other obvious reason that move had to happen right now.

71. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

And very true that Jordan was very likely nervous for his first start – he definitely looked it to me, and I can't blame him. His second start being on July 4, with a huge crowd and lots of likely important guests in the house for the holiday, unfortunately probably isn't the recipe to improve that…poor kid. Hopefully he'll be okay.

72. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I was just listening to the run support for pitchers conversation. I wonder if JZ's rhythm, pacing, consistency and the fact that the defense is very involved, helps the offense get going. They are not in the field long, they have to stay on their toes, JZ just exudes confidence. I wonder if it's not really a coincidence.

73. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Suzuki has to have at least a bit of Asian blood in him. And as for Lou Gehrig and the disease, gee you'd think he would have seen that one coming, wouldn't you?

74. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

David Proctor – apparently they are focused on a 15-year-old Dminican kid who isn't even eligible to sign until he turns 16 next month. As the article states, not someone you would expect to see in DC until about 2018 at the earliest.http://districtondeck.com/2013/07/02/international-signings-open-who-will-the-nats-target/

75. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Kurt Suzuki has Japanese blood in him.

76. Section 222 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

To those going to the game — there's a rain delay, let's all meet at the picnic tables. Could be a long night…

77. EmDash - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Suzuki was born and raised in Hawaii.

78. hiramhover - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

"Japanese blood in him."What is this – 1941?C'mon, guys.

79. d'grviii 8 - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Grounds crew taking the tarp off. Strasburg is stretching in right field, getting ready for long toss. Looks like this one will start on time, or close to it anyway.

80. NatsLady - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM

It's pouring here in Burke. I could get to the game by 8:30. Is it worth it?

81. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Zook is an American. "Nuff said.I remember when Cole got injured. He was so exciting and then that. What a darn shame. I can't get MASN on my TV, but all other channels are up? Am I going to regret giving away my seat tonight? Argh.

82. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

on wiki, he is referred to as japanese american. wait why are we talking about his race?

83. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Thanks, Natsie. I laughed out loud.NCNatsie said… Don't feel bad about not remembering Wally Pipp's name, 1a. Someone once asked me the following question: "What was the name of that guy who played for the Yankees in the old days, you know, the one who died of Lou Gehrig's disease? July 02, 2013 4:56 PM

84. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

lol what? unreal!

85. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Not talking about race- we were discussing whether or not the team had any international signings right now, which led to which players were born in other countries and how they were signed. We were doing some speculating, as fans often do. Cannot think of any Asian players, hence the question about Suzuki.

86. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

That was good as well. Wasn't "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" Marvin Gaye? But I digress.swami, the Icy Hot game popped into my mind as well. I don't think SS would risk a repeat, though.Will be watching on tv again but have fun at the park, y'all, and stay dry.Secret wasian man said… Didn't Wally Pipp sing backup for Gladys Night?? July 02, 2013 5:08 PM

87. karlkolchak - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

swami – that article I posted above discusses the Nats' lack of involvement in the IFA market, and yes, no Asian signings that I can recall. Suzuki was born in Hawaii, so he wouldn't count as an IFA signing anyway.

88. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

ohka played for us.anyways, i do wanna see nationals more involved in asian market, especially japanese. maybe draft a high school pitcher and put them through our minor league system. we might find a darvish.

89. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I'll take Nats born in other countries for $100, please.Who is Roger Bernadina/the Shark? (Curaçao)

90. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM

And we got CMWang from another major league team or as a free agent.

91. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Wait, we're both right: first recorded by Smokey Robinson, then by Marvin Gaye, then by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Gaye's version was released after the Knight version. And now you know the rest of the story. But I digress. Um, go, NATS!?

92. realdealnats - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM

1A: once my wife and I couldn't remember an actress's name and I said she reminds me of Annette Benning. And, of course, the senility was contagious so my wife couldn't remember either. The next day I said hey I was thinking of Michelle Pfeiffer–she's the one who reminded me of…of…and neither of us could remember. We all strike our separate peace with memory at a certain age.

93. natsfan1a - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM

My husband and I do that, too. It's especially fun when the other party knows who you mean, but they can't recall the name either.

94. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Span has been hitting much better lately. To left field even.

95. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Watching him field fly balls and then hit like that is a thing of beauty.

96. Joe Seamhead - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM

That's the Span we've been expecting. Rattle! Rattle! Rattle!

97. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM

This strike zone is atrocious!!!!!

98. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM

This homeplate ump is lost!

99. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

100. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

RZim missed the meatball on pitch #2 and Nats get lucky on a tailor made GIDP.

101. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Zim stepped on that bag very awkwardly. Hope he is ok. I like the pressure the Nats are putting on the pitcher.

102. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

agreed gonat. he has been very inconsistent.and fp is dead right. desi will swing on first pitch.

103. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Don't try to do too much now Desi!

104. JaneB - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Faraz, oh ye of little faith!

105. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Big time wasted opportunity. Had the right guy up too.

106. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Can't believe the Nats didn't cash in there. Peralta was on fumes.

107. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM

True that it was a good opportunity, but how many times this season have we gone 1-2-3? At least they pushed, and also saw a ton of pitches. Rendon leads off.

108. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM

That bases loaded BA just keeps dropping.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Aramis Ramirez looked like a defective bobblehead there.

110. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

At the least, we're back to making the pitcher work. No more of those 10 pitch innings.

111. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Gonat said… That bases loaded BA just keeps dropping. Actually the Nats are above Mendoza now on bases loaded chances at a .225 BA after that out.

112. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM

If they just keep putting together good at bats, eventually they should get some results.

113. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Same with Suzuki running it out and the bunt– just good fundamentals. Keep that up.

114. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM

We gave let this guy off the hook…….again

115. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Span swings at a pitch at his ankles. Come on man

116. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

BigCat, also the game of inches as Rendon just missed the double and Span's almost dropped in.That darn Babip guy!

117. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Span likes those pitches low. Many of his XBH have been golfed. That one might've been a bit too low, but he likes them down there.

118. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

He was out.

119. paul brandt - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

thought ALR could have sold it better with a better stretch.

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

First hit was really an out.Now if somehow he pitchrd a 1 hitter it will be great debating the call.

121. David Proctor - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM

He shouldn't have needed to sell that better, it wasn't even close. Horrid call.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM

You shouldnt have to sell an out. Just call what happened, not what you anticipating happening.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM

It was close but not a hard call

124. BigCat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Maybe I expect more out of a slap n Judy veteran ML hitter. I mean….swing at strikes man

125. baseballswami - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

So the balls and strikes suck, and now the first base ump also?

126. Gonat - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Nats have to put a couple of runs up on the board this inning.

127. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Not looking promising with those super quick outs.

128. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM

it was closer than "horrid" IMO but its over, no harm done, ump missed it but don't assume ALR, that was my only point.

129. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Peralta must have late movement on those pitches. Nats just not getting solid contact.

130. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

And now we make it easier on a struggling pitcher?

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Lot of guys swinging at pitches that are low and most likely not in rge strike zone.

132. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Well Harper and Werth both popped up on pitches that were well up. LaRoche swung at a ball in the dirt.

133. Mark the Ump - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The 1B umpire's timing was to quick – watch on the replay on he signaled almost right away. Umpires are taught to read the play — then call it.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

We are swinging at too many balls that are way low. Though with this ump who knows.

135. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

He called what he anticipated, not what happened

137. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I just feel that we had a horrible team on the ropes and as the innings go by we are letting them back into the game.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM

4 pitch walk after giving up a hit. Not a good recipe

139. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM

kigitimately?I like it.

140. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Stras has to get this batter.

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Pitching way too many pitches now.

142. Gonat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rendon to Desmond to ALR!

143. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

4-6-3!

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Got him 21 pitches that inning.

145. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That was one sweet 463! Rendon!

146. JaneB - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

saWEET doouble play there!

147. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Way to pace yourself Rendon! Beautiful!

148. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

CBS sports reporting tonight that umpire Brian Runge has been dismissed by MLB due to a failed drug test.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Knoxville, I actually thought you were joking thinking that was the 1st base ump. That's sad.

150. baseballswami - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Wait- an umpire failed a drug test?? And why are our hitters letting this pitcher off the hook??? They were wearing him down, and now they are making it easy. Stop it!

151. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Well Strasburg is leading off the next inning. The pitcher started our rallies yesterday.

152. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

well maybe we only need to score 1…get on base SS, move him over and bring him in, not that hard.

153. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Oh yeah. Peralta is off the hook big time. He was not ready to pitch, was falling all over the mound, cussing. …. But as usual it's 0-0 in the 5th.

154. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Had this guy on the hook bssesloaded 2-0 count to Desmond following a walk that he could only hit soft pop 10 feet up to second. Thus couln't be a fastball.Ian took the wind out of the air immediately, and we have hit very poor since.

155. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

We're not going to score 10 runs every time (although we had a chance for a crooked number early). Just have to score more than they do. Game is only halfway over.

156. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

It's too bad our pitchers never pitch out of terrible jams…Oh, wait…

157. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

That was NASTY Stras!!!

158. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I think Peralta would be just fine never batting against Stras again.

159. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Ramos hit by pitch, but he's okay. Has an 0-fer going but has thrown someone out and blocked several balls in the dirt. All this from various twitter people.

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Though Choo was from Korea nt japan. Carp taught me something.

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

The Brewers play Span like a poor hitting pitcher in their outfield alignment.

162. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

MNF, Choo is from South Korea.

163. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Ryan Braun will be out this entire series and possibly longer.

164. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Guys looking frustrated now.

165. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

is peralta available at the deadline? haha.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Werth not interested in swinging.See ball hit ball.This guy's ERA dropping under 5.50I thought hitters had turned it around. had Ian singled in 2 we would probably be up 6-0 now

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thank you Aoki!

168. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Is Shaffer so god he throws only junk to him?

169. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Wow just ridiculous. How about swinging. You just can't lose to this team and this pitcher. Apparently the last 2 games were a fluke. I ready for Bernie instead of Span

170. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Jeeeez. Zim

171. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Oh no RZim. Please no. E-5

172. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

pick him SS!

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

174. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That was the most odd error Zim has had all year.

175. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

meant pick him *up* SS!

176. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

And this is what you get after another error. I am so ticked right now.

177. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

He is falling the mound again.Why is McCatty so damn slow to stop the bleeding. After ball 1 was out there.

178. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Watch for squeeze first or sitcoms pitch

179. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

David Proctor said… That was the most odd error Zim has had all year.It's just another unforced error.

180. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Got the K. Now one more out.

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Needed the K and got the K.

182. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That's how you pick someone up, Stras!!!

183. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

there you go, SS…alot of growin up just happened in those last two outs!

184. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Stras picked up Zimmerman and Zimmerman better return the favor.

185. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Stras does a good job picking up RZ.

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

SS bails out RZ

187. Knoxville Nat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I owe you Ghost!

188. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Don't ever believe again that Strasburg can't dig down when he has to.

189. Secret wasian man - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Kid needs help. How about some runs. Ughhhh this team.

190. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

he told Zim he has his back after the boob and he delivered, that is not something he has done before…think he knew he needed to grow up a bit…Gio growin' on him…like it.

191. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Bunting? Come on Bryce, that's an awful play.

192. Cwj - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Wow is it just me or has Stras, really grown up since getting off the dl?He's been really pitching amazingly and showing more positive emotion lately.That's awesome. Go Stras and Go Nats!

193. paul brandt - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Bryce, wtf? sorry, FP, I don't understand the thought process there…geezzz.

194. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

He also picked himself up–two walks in the inning weren't on Zim.

195. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

he was pitching pretty good so i can see why they would try to do something on their own.sorry to say this but glad to see him leave.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Fish just tied it up 3-3

197. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Sucks for Zimmerman. In a 2 strike count and you have to face somebody new? That's gotta be hard to adjust to.

198. Joe Seamhead - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

No they weren't, NL, but the error really ran up Strasburg's pitch count.

199. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Another bum of a starting pitcher blanks us. Eck still gotta go

200. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM