Jul 2, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper homered on his very first swing back off the DL.
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals had been waiting five weeks for Bryce Harper to return from the DL and inject some life into their moribund lineup, but even they couldn't have foreseen this kind of dramatic effect. Harper stepped to the plate in the bottom of the first to a standing ovation, then kept them all on his feet when he homered into the left-field bullpen. His teammates took over from there, scoring five times in the third and twice more in the fourth to take a commanding 8-0 lead. Well, it should've been a commanding lead, except Jordan Zimmermann surprisingly let the Brewers claw their way back, trimming the deficit at one point to 8-5. No worries, because the back end of the Nationals bullpen clamped things down late and the lineup added two insurance runs in the eighth, completing a very comfortable victory to open this homestand. With 23 runs over their last two games, they're now back to two games over the .500 mark and once again feeling good about themselves.
Hitting highlight: Obviously, there were plenty of early fireworks, but it all started with one sweet swing from the young man whoRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'