Jul 2, 2013, 4:50 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
The crowd rose as Bryce Harper stepped to the plate for the first time in five weeks, both to welcome the Nationals outfielder back from the disabled list but perhaps also in anticipation of what might come next.
Even in his brief time in the big leagues, Harper has already shown a penchant for seizing the moment, such as his Opening Day homer on his very first swing of the season. So when he did it yet again, blasting Yovani Gallardo’s 1-0 pitch into the left-field bullpen to christen his return from a knee injury, the ensuing reaction was less shock than pure awe at the 20-year-old’s latest highlight.
“Wouldn’t you know it?” manager Davey Johnson said, shaking his head. “We kinda expected something, something he was gonna do special.”
Whether Harper’s first-inning blast set in motion another team-wide offensive explosion — resulting in a 10-5 thrashing of the Brewers — or not, it was the talk of the Nationals clubhouse afterward nonetheless.
“Typical Bryce, right there,” said Jayson Werth, who drove in five runs upon returning to the No. 2 spot in the lineup, ahead of Harper. “He’s all about the drama, so he didn’t disappoint us, I guess. That was good.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip