Game 84: Brewers at Nats

Jul 3, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

So, to recap … the Nationals scored 13 runs on Sunday in New York, then they scored 10 runs on Monday against the Brewers, then they were shut out last night by Milwaukee. So, what should we expect tonight in the third game of this four-game series? Your guess is as good as mine. It's been impossible to predict this team's offensive performance on any given night this season, and the events of the last few days only underscore that notion.

This much we do know: Ross Detwiler is going to need to pitch better than he has been. In four starts since returning from an oblique strain, the left-hander is 0-2 with a 7.32 ERA. He complained of a stiff lower back after his last appearance, but he was able to throw his regular between-starts side session earlier this week and so he's good to go tonight.

Veteran Kyle Lohse gets the ball for the Brewers, facing a Nats lineup that would love to get back on track after last night's shutout loss. Please note the early 6:05 p.m. starting time tonight, giving everyone an extra hour of sleep in advance of tomorrow's 11:05 a.m. Independence Day game.

Updates to come…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Scattered storms, 84 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper

1. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Did Det look like a loser last year when he went out and pitched a gem in an elimination game of the NLDS? Or the beginning of the season? Come on Mick.

2. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM

As much as WODL hates Span that is miniscule compared to how much I hate Eck.

3. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Nats had a great opportunity at 2 over 500 and they blew it and now appear to be worse

4. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Mick you hit that on the head. The Bewers pitching has been terrible this year and we quit hitting again.Their wasting time

5. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

On the bright side, even if we lose this one, we have still won 8 out of 14 games….

6. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I swear the comments and people after a Nats lost vs a win is hilarious…

7. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Where is Preston Wilson when you need him?

8. Almazar80 - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Another losing effort from this middling non playoff contender.

9. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

David…I posted in April that I thought Det would win 20 plus, he played his best ball last year…he just is not tough, plain and simple..how much more of a sample size does one need? many over rated players on this team. If they are good players then they are dogging it..it is one or the other, no gray area here

10. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Unh… Nasty pitch that got Desmond…. We could have had this guy…

11. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Well no shutout at least.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

We couldnt afford a split in this series. The hitters are just not soing their job, Storen was worthless last night.They need to get serious and start playinhg like they want it as much as we di.Rendon not ruined by Eck yet.

13. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Good on you Anthony…

14. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM

In other news… Totally not looking forward to Haren returning in a couple of days…

15. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Eck was talkin to rendon before the homer.

16. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Haren returning will be icing on the cake of WS or BUST

17. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I hate called 3rd strikes.I also hate tge evil twin a swinging strike on a ball no where close to a strike.

18. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I don't hate Span, but this was not the deal to put us over the top. People act like it was either Span or Morse. It wasn't. It could have been neither and we might have signed someone else. This was like Bowden bringing in Preston Wilson, another good guy who did nothing to help us win a title.

19. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Dear God, this Span crap again. Can we just stop? We know where everyone stands on the issue. We've had hundreds of posts on it by now.

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

What are Braves last 14 i can look it up. If they are also 8-6, then our 8 is no good.That is why ever game is important losses in April same as losses in July.

21. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

span is the least of Nats problems

22. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

MnF – Wonder if Eck is given too much power/credit… I mean I get it… I'm not an Eck fan either but I doubt he tells them to swing at balls/non-strikes, don't work the pitch count, just make contact in situational hitting etc…I've said before and I say really believe that even if Eck isn't the problem, he certainly isn't the answer…

23. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Mine are consistant.I hate losing every gameI hate Eck.I hate walksI hate when starters give up more runs than opposing starter

24. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Mick, I was going to say that you can't blame Det because no time wins when they go scoreless but then Rendon comes in and smacks a homer.Let's face it. Management did not alert us to the incredible severity of Ryan Zimmerman's injury. The guy is just a shell of himself in the field and has no power at bat right now. Add that to Moore's demise, the leaving of Morse, the injury of Harper, losing Espi's 20 homers and you have a team with zero little punch.It just ain't happening like this. This team cannot play small ball. We don't bunt or run well. We need homers in bunches like last year and we are not getting them. I predict over 90 victories next year when the new GM and manager come in, though….

25. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I will bet you anything at all that we do not have a new GM next year.

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I agree that Span is the least of the Nats problems.

27. karlkolchak - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Regarding signing Haren vs Lohse, it wasn't the decision to sign Haren that was so baffling as the circumstances. The Cubs had just rejected trading Carlos Marmol, of all crappy pitchers, for him because they were concerned about his health and yet we swooped right in when there didn't seem to be a stampede of other teams at his doorstep. Meanwhile Lohse sat out there until almost the end of spring training and the Brewers got him for a real bargain.I don't know what fueled the rush to sign Haren, but it obviously wasn't reflective of a good decision making process.

28. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Span isn't a problem at all, really… It's the inconsistency from ALL the Nats batters… We've seen what they can do when they are on…Hopefully we win tomorrow and at least split the series… Need to win the majority of our series…Lohse isn't chopped liver though… He is actually a good pitcher…

29. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

It is time for the Lerner's to bring in a new manager and a new GM. This is still a talented core with Rendon, Harper, Stras, Gio and Jordan that can be competitive for years. Davey just is not managing the personalities properly on this team and that is basically all you do as a manager anymore, except technical adjustments and Johnson tends to baffle with his pitcher removal decisions and his line-up changes….

30. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Rizzo is desperately fighting for his job and often when you do that, you try to put your signature on the team. If Haren works out, everyone says wow, way to go, but when Haren doesn't work out, Rizzo says well, he was the least worst option….That 8 out of 13 quote was the most laughable thing that I have ever heard a baseball guy say.

31. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

"It is time for the Lerner's to bring in a new manager and a new GM. This is still a talented core with Rendon, Harper, Stras, Gio and Jordan that can be competitive for years. "I'm not sure if you understand the irony in this statement. Who exactly do you think assembled this core? Who made the trade for Gio (that many thought was a reach at the time)? Who took a chance on Rendon when he was slipping due to injury concerns? Sure, Stras and Harper were sure things, but Rizzo has assembled a talented team.

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Not sure if that mistake will hurt…. But thanks, we got out the inning…

33. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Our number 1 problems we donr score enough runs.Talk about stupid . Brewers played like this all season.

34. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Brewcrew partaking of their namesake, perhaps….

35. Amr Khani - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Wow. That was bad.

36. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

They gave us a gift, can hitters take advantage. We will see.

37. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Desmond and Zimmerman have been on the team forever. Most of the other guys go back to Bowden. The Gio trade was good, as was the Suzuki deal and maybe the Ramos one. Haren deal was horrible. Anyone could have signed LaRoche. Not that impressive overall.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Can we hit where they areb't please.This is rediculous. Make tgem at least dive

39. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

He brought the team from 55 wins to 98 wins and it's "not impressive." He just won executive for the year for god's sake. How fickle can we be.As far as actual game news, another line drive out…

40. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:30 AM

41. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

It will never happen. I would love to sit wirh head of umps and critique a night's worth of home plate calls of all 15 games, and see how tgey tell me home plate umps are goid.Storen was squeezed this inning as was Lohse.Most games there is real inconsistancy.Outside of my own stinking, umps tgat can' tell a strike the part I hate about baseball the most.It cant be that hard to see tge strike zone tgey are right there.

42. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Well, they did pick up his option for next year and you're the one who said we'll have a new GM next year. I said we won't.

43. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

There is no way Davey Johnson, in his present state, can motivate these players. So we probably go 8 games down to the Braves after tonight and that's a lot of games to make up.

44. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Spanning.

45. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I actually posted 2 days ago Nats coudl be within 1-2 of Braves or ahead of them…I was wrong…they may be 10 out by then and under 500I bought into the hype…this team ma even get worse when ramos comes back…go figure

46. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Span can cover ground to bad he didn't get to tge triple.

47. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Great effort/catch by Span…

48. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:34 AM

phil…BINGO..you stole my thunder.Davey should be gone after All star break, this team needs a kick in the ass

49. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

There should be several commenters from this site totally upset that they aren't at Nats Park tonite joining in that glorious wave put on by that wave that just tok place.

50. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…He didn't bring the team from jack to jack. That is ridiculous. He took over as interim GM during a period where the Nats first had some really high draft picks and the main ones were ones no-brainers. GM of the year, wow! Who votes on that? I wonder why Rizzo hasn't been extended if he is so great? Lerners are terrible business people not to sign him? They knew enough to let Kasten go. I think I trust their judgment over Rizzo.great post…i could have picked Harper, Stras and rendonI will go with the Lerners any time over this Stooge of a GM

51. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Really? You could have picked Rendon? Why did other GMs pass on him then, if he was such a sure thing? There was a big knock on him going into the draft."Stooge of a GM"I guarantee nobody was saying that a few months ago. This is ridiculous. Absolutely absurd.

52. Jim Webster - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Ban the wave.

53. karlkolchak - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

All right, we can stop right now with the Dump Rizzo nonsense. He's not going anywhere. Dude took over the worst team in baseball in 2009 and turned it into the team with the best record a mere three years later, AND was MLB executive of the year. He had a bad offseason. Hopefully, he'll learn from his mistakes.

54. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Matt Purke made his first start for Potomac today. 5IP, 4H, 1ER, 2k, 2bb.

55. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM

David…i respect your opinion, but with all due respect…how can anyone be happy with the last 2 nights…there is something wrong with this team and nothing is getting better, it is getting worse at time everyone thought the team would get going.Yes, Davey belongs in the hall of fame.. he has lost it this year and should go…he can not motivate and he is too soft on the players that need their asses kicked

56. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I'm not happy with the last 2 nights, Mick. I'm concerned. But firing a GM who has done so much for this team because of an underwhelming season is wrong. Rizzo hasn't been perfect. No GM has. He's done far more right than wrong.

57. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

WTF was that strike call? That was in the RH batter's box.

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

This blue's SZ has been kinda interesting….Harp's timing is totally off…

59. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I wouldn't say stooge. I would say that Rizzo is limited in his approach. I am wary of guys who continually try over a period of years to sign the same guy. I am wary of a guy who doesn't direct his manager to protect his young star player and yet, shuts down his best pitcher as though five innings of relief would make his arm fall off in the play-offs.You are only as good as your last few deals and decisions, and Rizzo's last few have not turned out well. Going on the radio and spouting self-serving lunacy about going 8 out of 13 when your team was supposed to win 100 games is lunacy.

60. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM

David…I m talking about Davey going at all star break… the fact the Lerners did not extend Rizzo means they have doubts.For the rest of the season Rizzo has to stay on, but a change in managers is needed asap

61. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Should Bruce Bochy be fired too? His team is doing way worse than ours. How about their GM?

62. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Harper looks dispirited out there. Only the Nats could find a way to ruin a kid, hopefully temporarily, the way they have. No wonder he didn't want to come back. It makes me wonder what is going on in that clubhouse….

63. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Bochy has won 2 WS in 4 years, of course not there is no comparison to the Giants franchise and the Nats. We ares suppose to be an up and coming dynasty, Giants may have hot their ceiling

64. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Harper looks like he's always looked. He looks angry at himself because he's 0-4 with a dropped flyball that led to 2 runs. Stop trying to find meaning when there isn't any. Harper is not "ruined." This hyperbole helps nobody. It's pure speculation.

65. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Harper looked frustrated with himself, for swinging at garbage…. His timing is off…

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I said i want to sit with head umps strike zone floats mist game most nights

67. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM

"Bochy has won 2 WS in 4 years"And it took time for that to happen. You have to be patient in the game of baseball. This is nothing against you at all, but you are probably the least patient person on here. After every win, we're turning it around and after every loss, we should fire anybody. I understand your frustrating, but owners, GMs, managers and players cannot think like you or they would go insane.

68. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Just dropping fly balls for no reason…. I keep hearing that since Morse left that the clubhouse vibe is not good.

69. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

William O. Douglas Loefflerthat is my whole point…what the hell is going on in club house?.I posted 2 months ago that I thought davey and rizzo were dishonest with about what they stare publicly… it would figure if they ruined Bryce

70. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

"I keep hearing that since Morse left that the clubhouse vibe is not good."Where? I haven't heard that reported at all.

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I'm surprised that blue didnt call Ian out with his SZ….

72. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Come on Rendy….

73. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM

maybe so David,,, but William O makes some great points that should concern all fans

74. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Look around the umpteen other Nats' sites….

75. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I am on record back in the winter that i did not like the Morse deal at all. i knew it would be bad

76. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I have William. I visit many. I haven't seen it. Show me where someone with knowledge of the clubhouse said it.

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

78. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

How do the Brewers ever lose? That team is great.

79. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Rendon hit it hard enough but wrong direction

80. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:56 AM

remember, Davey stated 2 things1 WS or bust2 This was his last yearSo… why would you not keep Morse?? right, so what if you can not sign him in 2014? why disrupt chemistry and trade 20 plus home runs to span's ZERO so far?

81. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said…Aren't we tired of talking about Morse… Good lord, he is off the team… Let it go… And I swear he is on the DL, yet again…your still talking about Haren? so what is your point

82. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I will talk about Morse whenever I feel like it. He was a class act. Not many athletes leave a city with the class and dignity that he had went he was traded.I also love this idea that whenever someone gets hurt that we traded that we are supposed to assume that they would have gotten hurt here. We are the masters of keeping guys healthy. We have the greatest doctors and trainers in baseball. Well, maybe Morse would have gotten hurt here too.

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Haren is on the team… Morse isn't… At least have a better come back…

84. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

right on William O!

85. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

where is my man wasian???

86. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

"So… why would you not keep Morse?? right, so what if you can not sign him in 2014? why disrupt chemistry and trade 20 plus home runs to span's ZERO so far?"They got a lot in return for Morse. They got AJ Cole, who is projected as a future front of the rotation starter and Ian Krol. That's a great haul. I remember people were pissed we got rid of Alfonso Soriano…and that draft pick ended up netting us Jordan Zimmermann. You have to look now, don't get me wrong, but the future too. For one year of Morse, they got a ton. Also, Morse has been on the DL and his numbers are mediocre at best.

87. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:59 AM

If we can win tomorrow, that will make it 9 out of 15. It is too bad that we ran into such a hot Milwaukee club at home, especially one with great players like Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun.

88. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Rizzo was the one who let Soriano go?

89. karlkolchak - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Well, back to .500 again, exactly where we were two months ago on May 3rd. Broken record, same 'ol, same 'ol, all season long. None of us knows what's going on inside that clubhouse, but as I've said before something is fundamentally wrong with the chemistry of the team. Tomorrow we're throwing a raw rookie out there to try and salvage a split at home with one of the worst teams in baseball that is missing its MVP. This team is NOT turning things around…it's going nowhere fast.

90. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Who said anything about Rizzo, William. I'm talking about Morse. I'm talking about what good teams do.

91. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:02 AM

The problem wasn't letting Morse go. The problem was not having someone available to reliably provide the punch that Morse provided. I know Marlon Byrd was kind of a lucky find for the Mets. I wasn't as good here maybe, but those guys are out there. Rizzo let Morse go and blithely didn't replace that type of hitter in the line up. There were plenty of signs that Tyler Moore was not up to the task. Was it a judgment call? Yes, but that is his job and he made a bad judgment call.

92. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM

new post

93. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Whoever let Soriano go made a great decision. I agreed with it then and I agree with it now. it was a good decision not to sign Jackson for 4 years. It was a bad decision to sign Haren for 1 minute. I am sure that Rizzo appreciates your bulldog devotion to him….

94. jw - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:18 AM

WODL –"It is too bad that we ran into such a hot Milwaukee club at home, especially one with great players like Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun."I'm confused. Have the Tigers moved to Milwaukee?

95. jw - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:34 AM

WODL –"The problem wasn't letting Morse go. The problem was not having someone available to reliably provide the punch that Morse provided."Am I reading Baseball Reference correctly? In 2011, Morse played in 146 games, and had 31 home runs and 95 RBIs. In 2012, he played in 102 games, with 18 home runs and 62 RBIs. That would indicate that the 2012 Micheal Morse wasn't reliably providing the punch 2011 Michael Morse provided. Since he's played 56 games this season in Seattle, he's had 11 home runs and 23 RBIs, so it doesn't look like he's returning to 2011 form.