Game 84: Brewers at Nats

Jul 3, 2013, 6:12 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

So, to recap … the Nationals scored 13 runs on Sunday in New York, then they scored 10 runs on Monday against the Brewers, then they were shut out last night by Milwaukee. So, what should we expect tonight in the third game of this four-game series? Your guess is as good as mine. It's been impossible to predict this team's offensive performance on any given night this season, and the events of the last few days only underscore that notion.

This much we do know: Ross Detwiler is going to need to pitch better than he has been. In four starts since returning from an oblique strain, the left-hander is 0-2 with a 7.32 ERA. He complained of a stiff lower back after his last appearance, but he was able to throw his regular between-starts side session earlier this week and so he's good to go tonight.

Veteran Kyle Lohse gets the ball for the Brewers, facing a Nats lineup that would love to get back on track after last night's shutout loss. Please note the early 6:05 p.m. starting time tonight, giving everyone an extra hour of sleep in advance of tomorrow's 11:05 a.m. Independence Day game.

Updates to come…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 184
Weather: Scattered storms, 84 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper

1. Scooter - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I vote for the Nationals to win.

2. Section 222 - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Check out Mark's tweet about Haren's sim game. Adding to the hilarity is this retweet:Half St Heart Attack ‏@HalfStreetHeart 7mI just simulated throwing my remote in frustration RT@ZuckermanCSN: Dan Haren just wrapped up a simulated game…He gave up 3 simulated runs

3. natsfan1a - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I second that emotion.Scooter said… I vote for the Nationals to win. July 03, 2013 2:22 PM

4. UnkyD - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Reposting, because I'd really like to hear from Ghost or NatsJack or anyone else more knowledgable or connected than I….:"I hate the coulda-woulda-shoulda approach, but would someone of our baseball guys care to discuss whether Drew would have been better served to spend his first few years in the minors, learning to work faster, and hold baserunners? Are these things that can be taught, at such a relatively late stage in a pitchers development? They seem to be fairly critical elements, and I would think that guys coming in with plus stuff (like Storen) would benefit from establishing good habits, from the get… No facetiousness intended, here… Just wanna know if I'm off-base, here… Tanx"

5. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

lol @ the twitter exchange, 222!

6. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 1mIn his 2013 debut w/ GCL Nats, Lucas Giolito went just 1/3 of an inning. He allowed 2 runs (1earned), 1 hit, 2 walks and struck out 1.Not the best debut, but at least he's healthy. He's still many years away from being on the big club's radar.

7. BigCat - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Its not only Storen. HRod never looked at any runners. Strasburg was terrible last year. He is a little better this year. Gio has that huge leg kick. I would run on him at will. The thing is that we seem to think if we throw over once, then that is good and they go right back to ignoring the runner.

8. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Out of curiosity, how does our team ERA rank? I admittedly get aggravated by the lack of holding runners, but there's a reason why we're 1 game over .500 with decisively negative run differential…

9. Eric - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

OK, it looks like we're 5th in the league at 3.56.Maybe I'll try not to get so bent out of shape about it going forward…perhaps with the exception of something like the second steal on Storen last night ;).

10. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Our team ERA is top 5 in the NL. 5th I believe. Impressive considering Haren, Duke, etc. have really dragged that number down.

11. Just wonderin' - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Regarding Haren's simulated game — perhaps Michael Morse hit one of those simulated home runs?

12. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM

The funny thing is, I was at last night's game and believe it or not, I did not boo Storen, I never have and never will boo a player at the park, I do boo and verbally express myself to umpires now and then. As I mentioned, there were many in my section booing and saying nasty things about Storen and Davey. As Sjm has used the term…I kinda "poke the bears" at the park to get them going and then sit back and enjoy when disasters like last night occur.As far as Storen goes, the best thing for him and the Nats would be a trade…each time he performs as he did last night, he reminds many of us about game 5 verse the Cards, that is not good for him or Nat fans

13. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

So Rizzo got on the radio and said the Nats are have won 8 of 13. My calculator says that's about a .615 clip. You wouldn't know it for all the angst around here.BTW, the team with the worst record in MLB since May 14? Your World Champion San Francisco Giants, who have, apart from Angel Pagan (injured) pretty much the same lineup/rotation/bullpen as they had last year. `

14. Ron In Reston - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The Panda was also on the DL for a while during that time, NL. But he was in there last night, going 0-fer like the rest of them against Bailey.

15. Noirelune - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The Tigers are in a desesparate need of a closer. They are surely interested by a Storen, a Clippard or even a Soriano. What do you thing we can have for one of the members of our triumvirate?

16. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM

nothing because we are not trading any of them.

17. Noirelune - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I kind of think that Storen is available.

18. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

not in a season where we are a contender.

19. Theophilus T. S. - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

On the previous post, JD said:"DJ stayed with Storen over Krol and Abad because until proven otherwise in the long haul Storen is a better pitcher than either of these guys."Pardon the expression but that is just to juicy to pass up. "In the long run we are all dead." It is irrelevant to what happened last night or will happen today. The Nats will be dead in the short run — the next three months — if they keep running out a pitcher who molts like a duck when a runner gets on. Save Storen for mopping up after Haren until he gets control of his emotions and his pitches.

20. alexva - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Unkyd, you're the first person that I've seen mention the pace at which Storen has been working. he seems to be overthinking it and spending too much energy between pitches. don't think, it can only hurt the ball club

21. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Storen has allowed an earned run in just two of his last 18 appearances. The one before last night was a tight game and he struck out the side.He's not a free agent till 2017, he's still only 25.I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

22. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Unkyd, you're the first person that I've seen mention the pace at which Storen has been working. he seems to be overthinking it and spending too much energy between pitches. I think his tortoise-like pace last night was because he couldn't get his slider to work. In fact, I felt like I was reading his mind: "damn, I can't get the slider over and they know it and they're sitting on my fastball, wtf am I going to throw now?"I don't recall him working nearly as slow (unless I'm misremembering) in his strike-out the side inning against the Mets last week.

23. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I caught up on all the comments from this morning. I don't recall who said it, but I absolutely agree with whoever said that too many people live and die by each win and loss. Baseball doesn't work like that. You can't be on top of the world after a win and down in the dumps after a loss, you have to remain even keel. It's far more productive to look at trends and I think those trends are favorable to the Nationals.If you look at the season as a whole, yeah, we're a .500 team. But if you want evidence of a turnaround, it's there. I've posted repeatedly that people will get impatient because we're not going to rattle off a 10 game win streak. We're not built for that. We've won 8 of 13 and that's significant. If we won 8 of every 13 games in the second half, we'd finish with 94 wins. I don't think we'll win that much, but the point is that 8 of 13 is significant.Harper is still rusty. I was worried when Harper hit that homer yesterday that people would think BAM HE'S BACK. It was impressive, but his timing is probably still off. He'll regain that. Werth is hitting over .350 in his last month or so. Zim is hitting well with RISP (and in general). Desmond has been on fire.There have been far too many duds this season, yes. But if you look at June, you see us coming from behind to win 8 times when we didn't do it the entire season before that.You're not going to win every game. It's hard to realize that, especially when you lose games you should win–like last night. I get that. But if you look at the evolution of the team from early season to now, we're playing much better ball.Just my opinion of course, but that's how I see it.

24. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Harper didn't hit his homer yesterday of course, I meant the night before.

25. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

some of you would be great Cub fans, lol

26. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Drew would be perfect for the Cubs

27. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM

As I've been preaching for about a week:If we can win 2/3 when the "big three are pitching", and 1/2 when the "other two" are pitching, we'll be at a .600 pace.That's essentially what we've been doing since June 19.It would have been nice to get all three of the last games, but: 2/3 will do if we can keep getting it, and if we can get 1/2 of the "other two".

28. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

29. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

mick said… some of you would be great Cub fans, lolYes, I would — if I grew up in Chicago.If the front office acts like mentches, and the players also do, then I root for my team through thick and thin.

30. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:54 PM

mick said… that is true Wonk, it is just hard when last night the team does not score a single run. I never would have imagined a 4-0 game last night, just makes no sense at allYes — but: it happens!As somebody pointed out this morning (I didn't check) — the Nats have been shut-out fewer times than the Braves have!It happens. It sucks when it does, but it happens.

31. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

(and sometimes teams that have a much better team batting average than the Nats even get shut down on a no-hitter!)

32. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If I was born a Cubs fan, my god…1945 was last time they won the NL pennant and of course 1908 last WS title… now that is fan purgatory, lol

33. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

1984 Cubs up 2-0 in NLCS and blow 3 in a row to Padres and of course Mr Bartman in 2003 and the black cat in 69I guess I should stop complaining about Nats at 500

34. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM

That's the spirit, Mick!!

35. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Also agree with whoever said that one of Rizzo's best moves was signing Soriano. He may give us a heart attack, but where would we be without him right now? I'm a Storen defender and all but…

36. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM

but Lee Elia's rant in 1983 is still one of the funniest g-damn things I have ever heard

37. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

To repeat many others' view: the fact that there was no baseball here at all for so d@mn long — and now we have a team that's relevant — we're not going to be complaining.I go to games with my kids and we watch some awesome players on our own team. Life can't get a whole lot better than that.

38. sjm308 - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Mick: proud of you for not booing last night!Alexva: I doubt if you read my first post after the game but I was more upset about the time Storen took between pitches and staring at runners then the fact that he was not pitching well. It just can't help the defense to be standing around and standing around and standing around. The game is slow enough as it is. I was hoping that Soriano's game pace would rub off on the others but not so far.Did anyone answer my questions in a previous post about how to basically coach Storen up so that 1. He does not take over a min. between each pitch2. He learns a side step or something to quicken his delivery to the plate3. He learns when and when not to throw over to keep a runner honest.Is it too late for any of that? Will it screw up his rhythm?Looks like Davey failed to read WODL's comments and darn if Span isn't back in the lineup.Oh well, if we win it will be in spite of him and if we lose its all his fault.Go Nats!!

39. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM

as long as the Lerners do not offend any gypsies with a goat, we will be fine, lol

40. sjm308 - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Amen Mr. Wonk – I am not upset about this but I do want to point out that my first game was at Griffith Stadium in 1950 and until last year I had not witnessed a playoff game! Of course there were 30 some years without a team which does put the Cubs in a different light.

41. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM

David Proctor said… Also agree with whoever said that one of Rizzo's best moves was signing SorianoAgreed. Rizzo's made a number of moves that rarely earn him credit around these parts. Getting Suzuki down the home stretch last year for David Freitas was pretty big, too. Imagine out catcher situation without him or Ramos right now. Or the bushel of prospects for Gio (a key factor in finishing first last year). Getting Ian Krol as one of the guys for Morse. Snapping up "injury-questioned" Rendon in the draft after five other teams passed on him. Etc etc.

42. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

43. A DC Wonk - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Ramos to catch tomorrow's game with the Nats. Not sure if anyone saw, but he's back. Wow! When was the last time we had:Harper, Werth, RZim, ALR, Ian, and Ramos in the lineup at the same time?!

44. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Mid-April.

45. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

as far as Cubs fans are concerned, lot of respect for them. their stadium still seats a lot of fans, even if they have been in rebuilding mode for some time.

46. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The Rangers signed Manny Ramirez…

47. 3on2out - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Just got an e-mail from a friend of mine in Pittsburgh…you know that team with the best record in baseball? 51-31. 20 games over .500? Here's his message to me:And there you have it… Love Hurdle's reference to "Chicken Littles." We lost to the Phillies last night. Ugh. Fortunately the Red Birds lost again. What concerns me most about the Bucs is that they really cannot hit a baseball. We do not have a single .300 hitter and don't provide run support for epic pitching performances from guys like Burnett. We're near the bottom in runs, near the top in Ks, and middling in BBs. Long term I don't know that our pitchers can carry a season of 2-1 & 3-2 wins.Sound familiar? Baseball angst in universal!

48. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Ex-Nats: John Rausch opted out of his minor-league contract with the O's and is now a free agent.

49. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Intentional Talk ‏@IntentionalTalk 10mThe @Twins gave Mariano Rivera a rocking chair made out of broken bats.

50. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Keith Olbermann ‏@KeithOlbermann 14mJust for the record, #Puig is tied for 10th in NL in RBI in last 30 days (17). The leader? Ian Desmond (27).

51. Section 222 - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

So Rizzo got on the radio and said the Nats are have won 8 of 13. My calculator says that's about a .615 clip. You wouldn't know it for all the angst around here.And we won 6 of the previous 15. Put those two selective samples together and we're 14 of the last 28. That's a .500 clip, and so far we're a .500 team. I'm surprised he didn't say we had won 2 of the last 3 games. Puh-leeze.

52. Another_Sam - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Wonk — regardnig that lineup: you were being sarcastic? lol-

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

We need to start winning of each tree and not lose 2 in a row again.With that as my primice, this is a must win.Time to quit treading water, and so start getting way above .500

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

While we're at it, here's another walk-up music suggestion for tonight:That's the way the world goes roundYou're up one day, the next you're down.It's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown.That's the way that the world goes round.

55. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I seriously hope Game 4 Det shows up tonight…. And I hope to see more of Det's other pitches tonight…Here is to a Nats win! Lets go!

56. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

3 groundball outs. That's good news for Detwiler.

57. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Good inning Det…

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Another 3 hole batter bunting.

59. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

@David Proctor Sure hope Span has a good game. We defended him hard last night.

60. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Kolko said on twitter that Gomez may have been trying to test Det's bad back.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Did anyone see Davey's pre-game press conference?He gave some comments about Danny acting as if he knew the whole time that Danny wasn't getting it. I guess he was addressing Danny falling under .099 now after an 0-8 yesterday.Again, if you knew that he wasn't getting it why didn't you make the move weeks earlier?Davey said he is stubborn like he was. Lovely.

62. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Aoki takes some very weird routes.

63. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Hate first pitch swinging…. Ugh… I wanted us to sign Lohse last off-season….

64. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM

So close.

65. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM

That was a shot by Bryce. Game of inches.

66. NatsLady - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

In his no-hitter, 71% fastballs for Bailey.

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

7 pitch inning for Lohse…

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We had 3 flies. Need to hit farther or less high.

69. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM

70. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Nice curveball…

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Nice sequence by Det on Aramis.

72. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Love Suzuki…. But I am glad that Ramos comes back tomorrow…I sincerely hope he stays healthy the rest of the year…

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Weeks is a strikeout machine, just throw it close.

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Nice K on the side….

75. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ross strikes out the side with 3 offspeed pitches.

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

In 2012 top 3 k men all secondbaseman Weeks, Uggla and Espi

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I would hate Aoki playing OF for us….he makes things look so complicated to me…

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Mark Zuckerman @ZuckermanCSN Dan Haren just wrapped up a simulated game against #Nats teammates. He gave up 3 simulated runs (2 earned).I thought this was an April's Fool joke only it's July 3rd.

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Show us Pitch Track. That K of Rendon looked inside.

80. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

How exactly does someone commit a simulated error?

81. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

RISP 0 FOR 2

82. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Is Suzuki in a hurry to get somewhere?

83. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

After seeing the previous 3 batters, Zook decided to swing at the first pitch…

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Lohse threw 23 pitches that inning.

85. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

23 pitch inning is totally better than 7…

86. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Aoki hits like a girl softball hitter.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Not meant to insult girls. Its the way their lead off hitters hit.

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM

*snickers*. MnF – I'm trying to decide if I am offended by that…. Hahaha

89. waddu eye no - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:48 PM

sofa – you know that prine calls that the "happy enchilada" song? good story.i've always thought the opening riff from "rhapsody in red" would be a good walkup. even the right color

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Not really. My daughter played soft ball the leadoff hitters did that. The poeer hitters more conventional.

91. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Isn't the book on Aoki is jam him inside so he can't guide it to the 5.5?

92. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Smh….

93. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Well that was a quick inning…

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

That didnt take long.

95. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM

No ground outs for the Nats bodes well against Loshe. Next inning should be telling.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I tweeted FP last night and again today, and Carp crrected it.Twice said Choi was from Japan not Korea.I corrected him.

97. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Is Det going to screw this up. Now is tge time to slow Ross down.McCatty always waits til to late.

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Was it the 4th inning last game that Det imploded?

99. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Nice 5-4-3

100. jeffwx - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

he can't screw this up if the offense doesn't get going

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

That is better Suzuki went and talked.Ow get this last out.

102. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

That's Ross Detwiler when he's at his best right there.

103. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Detwiler got the GIDP on a changeup?

104. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Way to get out of it Det…. Good job…

105. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Good recovery, Suzuki going to relax him was important.

106. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Lohse isn't on his "A" game. Time to make him work. Remember he's not on regular rest. Patience gentlemen! #EatFace

107. jeffwx - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM

agreed…

108. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Harper can't catch a break today with Gomez.

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Harper robbed twice.

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Robbery at its best….

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Hit it to someone else guys. Gomez catches Harpers and Aoki get's zim's

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM

No patience at the plate is getting on my nerves….

113. Dan Strong - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Well.. That inning was quick.

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

RZim and LaRoche with weak contact. Is it credit to the pitcher or are these guys really that tired?

115. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

‏@acomak 47sInteresting… RT @susanslusser: Manny Ramirez told me he talked to #Nats as well WAS had some interest in him as a potential PH he thinks….the hell?

116. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

117. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Det left that curveball up. Suzuki wanted it in the dirt.

118. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I wouldn't have minded Manny coming here…

119. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

*waits for people to get on Ryan for not making a very tough play*

120. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Ouch…. That was actually a good bunt…

121. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Did you not see that bunt coming? Should've been up on the grass. Come on guys. Where is your scouting reports.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

They are hitting now we arent which is what I advocate.lohse should bunt

123. jeffwx - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Brewers are one of the best 16 games under .500 teams. How do they lose ?

124. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

4 hits in last 6 batters. As a pitcher the way we are hitting, you just can't keep doing that.

125. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Talking about Schafer this morning. He can't hit lefties and he plays small ball when in the lineup vs. lefties. Can't believe the Nats weren't taking the bunt away.

126. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Good situational hitting by Milwaukee….

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Other team's record seem to change how we play.We don't enough in too many games.Time to change that. Watch tge bunt again

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Ezkstein does not stress situational hitting at all

129. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

That fastball was right down the middle.

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Det left yet another pitch up….Brewers adjusted 2nd and 3rd times around…

131. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Way to go Ross! Just bad. Why aren't you jamming Aoki inside?????

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Det is just back o only fast balls.Might have given the game already.We must score first, but Det didnt read his e-mail

133. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Let's be real though: if Detwiler goes 6+ innings having allowed 2 runs, it's on the offense, not him.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

He missed the pitcher's meeting.

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

And now we are back to basically fast balls from Det…. The Brew Crew is hitting Det…

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Since it has happened so much this season, tge pitchers have to step up even more.The pattern is so clear.

137. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

The double by Holton was a hanging curveball, not a fastball. Suzuki wanted it in the dirt, it was up. Aoki's was a fastball though.

138. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

That was hit hard by Desmond, right to Gomez. Are you kidding me?

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

If we showed regular hitting this year I wouldnt be on the pitchers. But since our hitters are so eratic, I have to have the pitchers give up nothing.

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Gomez is eventful…. We've always seemed to have issues with Lohse…

141. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Again, this Nats team is just unlucky. I'm just shaking my head. Just smashing the ball and not rewarded.

142. jeffwx - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Strasburg may ask for some leneancy

143. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Their scouts got tge fielders in the right spots

144. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM

We won last game he started here.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Needed that at bat earlier Zook… But there is a hit…

146. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I hear that Werth guy had a pretty cool AB in that game, MNF.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

We scored 21 runs the first 13 innings of tge week and 2 in tge last 19. What gives?

148. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Look at Det helping himself out….

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Span hit a gapper

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Yeah MnF – we won that game 2-1…. Lohse has us that game too… Thankfully their BP blew it at the end…

151. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Really…. That was a K….

152. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM

That was high. This next inning will be big. We need Det to shut them down and then we have Werth-Harper-Zimmerman in the bottom of it.

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Damn swing unless your 100% sure its a ball. We need Luke Appling to teach these guys how to bat with ,2 strikes.He was great with 2 strikes.

154. Raphael Talisman - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Sorry all but the Nats can't do it this year. Their hitting is absolutely sickening.

155. Dan Strong - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

You definitely need to protect in that situation instead of watching the pitch just go by and kill a potential rally.

156. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Harper is having a tough go of it in the OF. Yikes.

157. Dan Strong - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

That was not pretty.

158. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Just not good, Bryce….

159. Raphael Talisman - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM

They always watch in the full count.

160. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Could one of you stat lookers find the list of the 15 NL teams and how many called strike outs are?We seem to take more K then we get called k.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Wow….. That's just terrible….

162. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Unacceptable by Ross. The pitcher is on deck. Pitch around. He made 2 good pitches and then left one right out over the middle.

163. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Det why are throwing fast balls down the middle with a pitcher on deck,?A completely stupid pitch location

164. Dan Strong - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Of course… Any error made this year results in runs.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Loves that fastball…..

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I owe you David.That makes me realky mad, as that is simple not smart baseball.

167. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Error hurts, but Det was in perfect pisition to make it mute and threw a fast ball right down the middle.Lohse only right over the middle LaRoche fouled off.

168. jeffwx - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Milwaukee bullpen has improved considerably since the beginning of the year. and nice to have krod

169. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

If Ross goes 6 and only gives up those 2 runs, that's a good ballgame. He had a shot at it and just grooved a fastball down the middle against the 8 hitter. Just plain stupid.

170. Raphael Talisman - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Were not a contender.

171. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

More importantly, how do you pitch to the #8 hitter and get ahead 1-2 and not throw one stiking breaking pitch? HOW?That's on both Det and Suzuki and I don't care what the book is on Scheafer.

172. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Pitch to werth down the middle he fouls back. Other teams dont do that as much.

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Det lives and dies by the fastball… But you are correct Nj – not 1 ball in the dirt..

174. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Absolutely.

175. Amr Khani - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Awful. Need to get out of that inning. They'll say Detwiler got unlucky, but realistically, Milwaukee has had quite a few baserunners and eventually that's going to come back to haunt him. I also hate the "aggressive" approach at the plate. 7 pitch innings will never get you into the opposition's bullpen.

176. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Another well hit ball that someone was there for. Unbelievable.

177. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Time to shut down Harper for the year…let him heal…this season is over…let's go O's!!!

178. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

3rd time down around hasn't produced any better…

179. Dan Strong - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Man… This offense.. Just seems like they're trying to get this over as fast as possible.

180. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

were at about 16 scoreless innings going back to Monday… at home, Harper back?Det is soft period… no logic at all with this team…will be 5-5 on this home stand…What say you Span defenders…ha ha I bet it was rocking in here after his called 3rd strike.I pay a compliment, get excited when Harper comes back and this team is worse with him, go figure…just a goofy ass team

181. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

David I said their scout was good and has tge fielders right where they are hitting.Our scouts didnt do as good a job.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Span has done the same thing as the rest of the line up at the plate… Nothing…He isn't the problem….

183. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

of course…Nats are facing Cy Young like they do every night…

184. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Yep. I knew when things didn't get better right off the bat, people would get upset. Harper coming back was never gong to be an instant fix. He's clearly still rusty. These things take times. Baseball takes time.Let me be clear: I'm NOT defending this performance. I just think some people had unrealistic expectations as far as Harper coming back and lighting it up right away. His homer did not help that perception.

185. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

only 3 starting pitchers on this team…Det is too soft to ever be good…so rizzo is truly back to the drawing board

186. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

As a whole the hitters are under achievibg. I have cut Eck o many times. Number good hitting games very lower number of bad hitting games a kot.Talent is a plenty. Make it look like you care management hold someone's butt to the fire.

187. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

David..I did not expect them to get WORSE!!!!

188. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

man,i hate to see what happens when ramos comes back…NO HIT, maybe>

189. mick - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Nats will be no hit this year,take that to the bank

190. David Proctor - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

It may have been beneficial to put Harper down in the lineup, just for his first few games. But people would've eaten Davey alive for that.

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Now 2 runs in last 19 inning.Brewers 15th in league in ERA.

192. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I question the talent now…very over rated team period. to play like this in front of 30,000 every night at home is terrible

193. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Idk… Lohse is pretty tough… We have no patience at the plate, again tonight…

194. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

So the team preaches an aggressive batting approach.Good idea, just wonder if they've gone too far with the strategy and are swinging way too much ormaybe Werth and ALR cannot provide consistent enuf hitting.There must be a reason we are about the worst scoring team in the game

195. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

The Nats could have Lohse instead tgey decided on Haren

196. David Proctor - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Well Craig looked good at least

197. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Good inning by Stammen…

198. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Make it look like you care management hold someone's butt to the fire.Yes indeed and that is why this team needs an in your face manager. Too many softies on this team, Det's expressions make me sick..he looks like loser

199. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Yeah MnF — I wanted Lohse instead of Haren…. I hated the Haren signing then… And hate it even more now…I don't think we win tonight but hopefully we can get the split tomorrow…