Jul 3, 2013, 2:40 AM EDT
By Ben Standig
Game in a nutshell: Yes Yogi, it's déjà vu all over again. Stephen Strasburg dominated in a game the Nationals' offense went bust. Even worse, Drew Storen returned to his late game struggles and Washington returned to the loss column after two straight high-scoring wins. Of course, because the bats went back to their scuffling form after scoring 23 runs on 26 hits in the previous two games, there was no room for error. Strasburg walked that tight rope like a Wallenda, shutting out the Brewers over seven innings on three hits with eight strikeouts before being removed for a pinch hitter. Meanwhile, Storen (2-2) was wobbly from the start, surrendering a leadoff single to open the eighth, followed by a stolen base and a walk. Then came Juan Francisco's two-run double, then came Martin Maldonado's one-out RBI double, then came Jeff Bianchi's run-scoring single. Then came the boos and plenty of them from the crowd of 24, 897 that hoped to see the Nationals (42-41) moved three games above .500 for the first time since May 18. Instead they witness Washington shutout for the ninth time this season.
Hitting lowlight: After busting out offensively in two wins including the series opener against Milwaukee, the NationalsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals