Jul 3, 2013, 2:40 AM EDT
By Ben Standig
Game in a nutshell: Yes Yogi, it's déjà vu all over again. Stephen Strasburg dominated in a game the Nationals' offense went bust. Even worse, Drew Storen returned to his late game struggles and Washington returned to the loss column after two straight high-scoring wins. Of course, because the bats went back to their scuffling form after scoring 23 runs on 26 hits in the previous two games, there was no room for error. Strasburg walked that tight rope like a Wallenda, shutting out the Brewers over seven innings on three hits with eight strikeouts before being removed for a pinch hitter. Meanwhile, Storen (2-2) was wobbly from the start, surrendering a leadoff single to open the eighth, followed by a stolen base and a walk. Then came Juan Francisco's two-run double, then came Martin Maldonado's one-out RBI double, then came Jeff Bianchi's run-scoring single. Then came the boos and plenty of them from the crowd of 24, 897 that hoped to see the Nationals (42-41) moved three games above .500 for the first time since May 18. Instead they witness Washington shutout for the ninth time this season.
Hitting lowlight: After busting out offensively in two wins including the series opener against Milwaukee, the NationalsRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview