Jul 3, 2013, 4:44 AM EDT
By Ben Standig
In this most political of towns, constant discussion of minimal support for Stephen Strasburg sounds more like a struggling candidate running for office than the hardball reality: a dominant pitcher receiving no love in the way of scoreboard-changing swings.
For the fourth time this season, Strasburg allowed zero earned runs in a start for the Nationals, lowering his ERA to a minuscule 2.24. In 13 of his 16 starts, the Nationals right-hander has surrendered two runs or fewer. There are other gaudy numbers in his favor, except that all important won-loss record.
Not that Strasburg was tagged with defeat in the Nationals’ 4-0 loss to the Brewers on Tuesday. Considering he tossed seven scoreless innings while allowing three hits and striking out eight, one would hope not. Considering his luck on the mound this year, it’s hard being stunned that he didn’t pick up the win, either.
“He threw his [butt] off tonight,” outfielder Bryce Harper said. “I think when a guy throws like that, he should be able to win.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting