Game 85: Brewers at Nats

Jul 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Good morning from the ballpark. (That's not something I type often.) It's Independence Day, and that means a continuation of a new tradition here at Nationals Park: the 11:05 a.m. game. It's a bit unconventional, but it's not a bad little tradition (plus it gives everyone plenty of time to get home and enjoy the rest of the holiday.

The Nationals are getting a nice boost today, with Wilson Ramos returning from the DL. The catcher went 0-for-10 on his rehab assignment with Class A Potomac, but those numbers are less significant than the fact his hamstring is healthy and he's good to go for the first time since May 15. Which means, for the first time since mid-April, Davey Johnson will be fielding his complete starting lineup (with Anthony Rendon having replaced Danny Espinosa, of course).

Taylor Jordan makes his second career start, hoping to earn his first career win. All indications are that either way, Jordan will be sent back to the minors after this one, with Dan Haren on track to return from the DL and take Taylor's spot in five days. You'd certainly like to see the kid pitch well and be rewarded for his efforts today.

Updates to come, so please check back…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 11:05 a.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. TimDz - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It would be nice to see the Nats pitcher look like the second coming of Cy Young for a change….I'm so very tired of the opposing team's pitcher, be it rookie pitcher or journeyman, carve up the Nats lineup….

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

karlkolchak said… If I really believed Danny's shoulder injury was not the problem, I'd be worriedI think you should be worried. This was the same guy I saw in April 2012. He is a swing & miss mess. A long swing guy going for 400 foot HRs. How do you make a guy a contact hitter when he wants to be a HR hitter but isn't that guy.180+ K's.The excuses made for him over the years here is a joke within itself and Davey's pre-game comments yesterday just shot you all down.While it's sad, I'm laughing because I started writing it here in June 2011 when I really saw his swing & miss exposed. Once you peel away the early success he had when there was no scouting on him, it's been a striking revelation to what Espi really was.Then this year you have a player protecting his shoulder where I noted in Spring Training he wasn't laying out for balls and you could see those effects early in the season some of the balls that he was no longer getting to. His UZR didn't slip much but you could see it, but his sub-Mendoza hitting couldn't overcome his Top 5 defense.

3. SCNatsFan - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Baseball and the Fourth of July a perfect match

4. sjm308 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Happy Fourth to everyone!Will be outside working on the yard, listening to Charlie & Dave and will run inside if I want to see something exciting. I believe I am not the only one whose expectations were set way too high. A combination of national exposure and my own bias I guess. Hard to believe we might actually be a .500 club but I am still going to enjoy every game, trust in the people that are professionals and hope we can turn this around.One thing about Desmond hitting 2nd. We will not get the pitcher to throw lots of pitches in the first inning but maybe this will spark others. Just have to see. I think in the long run Rendon bats 2nd but Davey does like to take his time making decisions.Go Nats!!

5. sjm308 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Someone on an earlier post asked if we missed Morse. While I was big on keeping him as a super sub back when that was unrealistic at best, I have to say that no, I don't miss him. I also wish his walk-up music was eliminated. Now, would I be OK if Natslady got her wish and Rizzo signed him as the big bat off the bench rental for the rest of this season. Sure.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

For anyone who missed this on Davey and Espinosa it's from his pre-game yesterday talking about Danny going 0-8 and batting under .099“I saw his approach,” Johnson said. “He’s changed a little bit in his approach. He’s still trying to hit the ball hard, every swing was pretty hard. I think his thing is more mental approach. I think he’s got a misguided opinion that it’s okay if you hit .220 and hit 20 home runs. He has the talent to be a real good hitter, put the ball in play."

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Moving Desi to the 2 hole? He's been your RBI guy. Why not just move Werth back to 6 and move everyone else up 1 or just flip-flop Rendon for Werth.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I'm curious to see Taylor Jordan with better defense behind him.

9. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Happy Independence Day peeps! May you enjoy the holiday and the game….Interesting line up.. Desi in the 2 hole… I think I would have flipped Rendon and Werth… Lets Go Nats! Lets do this!

10. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Joe Seamhead said…I remain positive. Why? Let me tell you why.We have baseball in DC. We're not eliminated on July 4th.Look, I don't agree with a lot of Davey's moves either. I'm frustrated, too, but I rooted for the Senators, and I've gone to 25-30 games a year since the Nats came to town. This 2013 may not be meeting your expectations, but they are not awful. The teams we watched from 2006 through 2011 were really, truly awful. I cheered for them anyway. Around 2009 I started seeing that there was an organization being built starting at the lowest level in the instructional league, and going up to the higher levels of the minors. Friends thought I was crazy when I told them the Nats were going to be competitive by 2011. Now, I've been to a lot of very stirring moments in sporting events from baseball, to football, hockey, boxing, etc. But nothing beat one night from last year, and that was a night when we didn't win the game, but we won the NL East title. For me, and for a lot of other old curmudgeons around me, it was almost a spiritual experience. I saw folks in their 50's, 60's, 70's with tears in their eyes. Our families waited generations for that moment. I will remain thankful to Mike Rizzo not just for last year, but for having a long term plan to bring us a competitive team for years to come. We may, or may not win a playoff spot this year, but I will remain thankful that we have this team, and will continue to believe in them, and in the words of the great sage, "It ain't over till it's over." Sorry some of you don't share my optimism, but I still think we got this, and I will think so until when the math says we are eliminated.GYFNG!!!July 04, 2013 10:20 AM

11. Kirbs - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I do NOT like this line up!!!! Rendon 2!

12. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

so if Jordan pitches 7 innings, gives 1-2 runs, he will go back to minors and Haren replaces him? hmm…nothing ceazes to amaze me anymore

13. Doc - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Looney bin or bust!!Gooooooooooooooo Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats!!!!P.S. Thanks for Davey's quote, Ghost. I don't get the pre-game show, so I wouldn't have heard it.I think that what Davey is saying, when I re-formulate it within the context of my own perspective, is that Espi is deluded about what he can do as a hitter. He might spend the rest of his career being so deluced.

14. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

then by all means…send Rendon down and have Espi come back at the same time Haren comes back…after all Davey is a genius and the WS in 1986….

15. Doc - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Deluced(typo)=deluded!Sorry about that.

16. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

If Jordan gets out of the 5th, I'll be happy. It will be the first time one of our AA spot starters has done that in 5 attempts. I'm pretty discouraged after the last two nights, though I seem to remember that the Braves were shut out twice by the Brew Crew recently, so I guess there's that. But one shining star right now is Rendon — both his offense and his defense are way more than even those of us who were calling for this change had any right to expect. Go Anthony!Bryce seemed listless last night after his first two hard hit balls and that error. I'm hoping for a big turn around game for him today. We need him to get hot and stay hot if we're going to have any chance of catching up.See you at the park!

17. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Ghost and Mrs. B, I'm a little lost on Davey's line up today, too. I just hope it works. Let's also hope the defense shows up for Taylor Jordan today.

18. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

who cares what the lineup is…nothing will change until 2014, same players same results etc etc……I watch to enjoy players like Rendon, Bryce, Stras, JZim, R Zim and Gio…will always pull for those guys because they are gamers…

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Joe Seamhead said… I remain positive.I remain positive overall but the Nats are playing catch-up because of the problems that weren't fixed in the off-season.This is now the team where the only weakness is the question of the #5 pitcher.

20. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

One thing that has been obscured is that the Span and Morse deals didn't have to be linked in any way. Rizzo could have dealt Morse and at the same time, he could have acquired a player to fill that power void.The Nats achieved any offensive success last year based upon an advantage in home runs. With Morse gone, and Moore and Espinosa providing far fewer homers, and LaRoche and Zimmerman down in homers, that basically leaves Desmond and Harper, when he has been able to play.This line-up cannot be successful without hitting homers. It is not going to happen. They simply do not get on base enough. That is why we have so many left on base. 2nd base truly is where Nats go to die. So either Zimmerman and LaRoche and Werth are going to start picking up that slack, or that is the way it goes. I don't know if Willingham is available, but we definitely need another hitter with some punch.

21. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Davey is lost too, he really should step down All Star break to avoid the embarassement of being fired..he deserves to go out with dignity. If a new manager does not do better, then Davey an Eck are vindicated and then it means Nats have a talent problem

22. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

23. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

222 – Not just Bryce… We need for the line up to get consistent… Yeah JoeS – I think we got this too… And I will stop believing until we are mathematically out…

24. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Morse's club house presence was as valuable as a 20 home run hitter…that move will never make sense, ever..I was against it when it happen so I am not a Johnny come lately about Morse

25. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Looks like Davey threw Espinoza under the bus.Davey has been either lying all along in all of his positive comments on him or just delusional and now sees it.

26. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

will be happy if the club wins 82 games…the worst thing that could happen would be a worse record than 2011…then this franchise could be headed back to 90-00 loss seassons

27. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

28. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Im staying positive. Just want to see a sense of urgency.Happy 4th!

29. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

"mick said… Nats128…you may be right…I think both Davey and Rizzo have been very dishonest in general…I never thought that of Davey until now. Rizzo has always been full of himself and he sounds like a used car salesman"Might be Davey finally hit his tipping point at the same time Danny started hitting in AAA at below .100The truth is now out and def on Rizzo being a used car salesman. Most see thru it.

30. Kirbs - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It is very nice to see Wilson back…I just hope that everything is good and loose!

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yeah Ghost – I think about if we were able to have Haren give us as least 4 wins… Things would be different…But I'm hoping that Rizzo will get another SP (from where I don't know) and another bat (which is why I would have been cool with getting Manny) to get on the goon squad… Moore, obviously, isn't ready and the rest of the bench isn't producing like we want them too…

32. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I remember NatsJack saying last winter that the word was that the powers that be were near to reaching an end limit with Espinosa over his refusal to follow through with how to alter his approach. Like with Henry, they tried in vain to wait him out because of the "potential" that they saw in him. Wrong again, but Danny may yet see the light, but I doubt it will be with the Nats.

33. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Good for you Nats128..I will make a pact and stick with it the rest of the season:I Mick, will not post another negative comment the rest of the season, I will post positive things about the good players on this team. I promise.. The reason…the 2013 season is OVER in terms of post season…I will eagerly await Davey, Eck and many other departures and will look forward to 2014. There is no reason for me to rant about Haren, Storen, Espi, Det, etc.. because they simply SUCK and are LOSERS. There I got that out, from now on I will be nice MickHAPPY 4th to ALL and GOD BLESS OUR VETS!!!!!

34. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Danny needs to slow it down at Potomac and move up from there. AAA isnt helping him. Let him destroy A ball and promote him from there. Hoping he will get better at AAA is just what they did for 2 months with the Nats this year "Aint happening".

35. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

128 – Davey can't throw his players under the bus.. He has to show support… I think the demotion speaks for itself… Just like when DJ said its okay for us to not have any lefties in the BP, we all knew something different…Had DJ said he was fed up with DE etc, can you imagine all the other conspiracy theories that would have come out about DJ and Rizzo not on the same page etc.. It would have added to the pressure already on the Nats…

36. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Interesting what the nats decide to do around the trade deadline…play for this year or next ?

37. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Congrats to the Hagerstown Suns. Six players named to the SAL League All Star team, matching the most for any one team.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

mick said… There is no reason for me to rant about Haren, Storen, Espi, Det, etc.. because they simply SUCK and are LOSERS. There I got that out, from now on I will be nice MickIt's using the players you have better. Storen didn't have his A game on Tuesday and shouldn't be facing lefties in critical situations.I don't know if it was Detwiler or Suzuki but the game planning on Aoki was bad. Usually a pitchers success comes down to a handful of pitches. 2 earned runs, not awful.On Haren, you saw the guy I proposed all off-season the target for the Nats, Kyle Lohse. A guy who can be a low 3.00's in ERA is far superior to Haren and by the way, Lohse was signed for $11 million.

39. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Not too many wanted Lohse that I know of…. I know I did… I hated the Haren signing and got a lot of flack becuz I was vehement about it..

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

GYFNG

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

MrsB, I was writing about Lohse during the 2012 off-season. Yes, his metrics said he wouldn't repeat a 2.89 ERA but it appeared he could be a 3.25It was disappointing because he was there for the taking.

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

When we hit it hard but it is fielded is that bad luck or is it good scouring by tge opponents?

43. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Oh Ghost – I said the same thing… As soon as I saw we were letting EJax walk, I said time to get Lohse… He seems to be a Nats killer, time to put him on our squad…As soon as we signed Haren – I noted his health and a prime issue and how he didnt show me anything in 2012 to warrant this signing… I thought hell, at least with EJax we know who/what we were getting…And then I remember all the excuses for Haren – how ST isn't a big deal for him, how he needed to get on a schedule, all that other mess… Yeah, not having a 4/5 pitcher is hurting us…

44. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Welcome back Wilson! Hope you being back will also jump start this offense… Again…

45. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

we're healthy in the offense….now hitI think the pitching is good enuf….In fact the best ERA in the MLhitting still one of the worst in ml.Get another outfielder to platoon, give rests for Werth.

46. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

We have a couple of problems…but having 5 stephan strasburgs with the worst hitting in the majors will not help.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hitting a guy on an 0-2 count arggggggg

48. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This will hurt Taylor's ability to pitch inside for a while today.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Can anyone hold a man on first? No

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Segura just deked out everyone. I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I'm stealing!

51. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Fotuneately, I've discovered beer at 11 AM tastes the same.

52. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I picked a bad decade to give up drinking.I guess you're allowed to have a beer before noon on July 4th

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The Brewers are missing Braun and Hart 75 homers last year and we are fighting for a split

54. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Wow, hitting with RISP…Let's try that today.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

There you go. That's what contact does. Not great contact but good enough.Take notice.

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Manufacturing runs… I don't believe Segura was actually hurt…

57. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

hmmm…i guess Ohlendorf is the backup pitcher today

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Hit a guy refuse to hold him, you are begging them to score.Are pitchers I thought were suppose not to give up first run.Email not read again.

59. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I'd be happy if we get a split….not at all a certainty

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Francisco, a guy who the Braves DFA'd a few weeks ago.

61. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Brewers score,. Game over.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We had contact very hard last night. It is where the contact goes

63. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Wow, FP says Brewers are 23-11 when they score first. How can they be so bad ?

64. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Not a horrible inning for Jordan… I do wonder though whether it is the slow wind-ups or what to why we can't hold runners at first…

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Lets get runs early. The later we wait the more pressure we will feel.

66. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

13 chances to score with runners on base in the last 2 games and you do not. maybe they need more chances ?

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Our contact seemed to find a glove last night….Didnt Taylor hit a Met in his last start?

68. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I think Jordan is coming from AA. It takes a bit of learning to keep runners close while trying to focus on the next batter after you hit the previous batter on the 4th of july in the big league

69. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Darn…found a glove

70. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That makes 4 bluff bunt attempts by Span and Desmond taken for strikes in 3 days.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Span needs to line the ball not pop it.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The way Desmond hit it is how Span needs to hit. Liners.

73. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yep…Jason, a good number 7 hitter

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Ian is so not scared to swing at the first pitch….

75. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Ian not so scared to swing at any pitch 😉

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We STOLE A BASE!!!!WE STOLE A BASE!!!!

77. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

ok, how about Rendon/Desmond/Harper/Zimm/ALR/Ramos/Werth/Pitcher/Span

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

You can definitely see the growth of Harp at the plate… Love it..

79. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I liked Lohse too, but you guys seem to forget that it would have cost a draft pick to sign him. We already lost one pick for Soriano. That's why it took Lohse so long to find a team.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

They had both bases stolen… That was a ball…

81. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Great point, Deuces, at 11:27.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Man on second Lucroy singles, zim takes a 3rd strike.Swung on ball 3 when they had a double steal.

83. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

jeffwx said…Wow, FP says Brewers are 23-11 when they score first. How can they be so bad?If FP wants to look at who scores when wins most, he should look at the numbers of "who scores first after the 1st run had been scored" because the team that does score first after the first run wins at a clip in the mid to high 90's percentage wise.BTW, FP is a putz

84. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

And once again a nats hitter stands and looks at strike 3. Disgusting baseball. Not even trying.

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I wanted gim before we sot Soriano.

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Nice…. Way to go Adam… Yes…

87. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yes…2 out hit with RISP…the most important hit in baseball

88. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Nice job ALR. Good things can happen when you swing.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Wasian i asked yesterday i wonder how we rank in called 3rd strike.ALR bailed out Zim

90. Knoxville Nat - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ghost and 222,Wasn't Lohse also looking for a 5 year deal @ $15mm per year? I think he settled for 3 years and maybe $11 or $12 mil per year. I also think he is in his mid 30's so that may have been a reason Rizzo stayed away from him.

91. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

FP…a putz ? then what is bob carpenter

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Keep the line moving.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good job… Base hit…. Way to go Jay Dubbs!

94. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ken I used to like FP and Carp. But now they are just a bunch of yes men for the nats.Nice shit Shaggy Doo

95. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Now that's awesome…

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

222 – So my comment got lost is cyber space..I was fine with giving up the draft pick… Think an issue may have been Lohse wanting multiple years… But I still wanted him instead of Haren…

97. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No JoeS – take it back, take it back… The game isn't over…

99. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Makes sense to move Werth down, but agree I didn't like Desmond in the 2 hole…Frankly think he is not patient enuf for that and better at driving in runs. still like Rendon there.Boy when Rendon adjusts timing to keep his foul doubles fair

100. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

jeffwx said…FP…a putz ? then what isbob carpenterA very good "basketball" fan… And he makes FP look like a genius.

101. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Nah, the baseball gods don't pay any attention to me, Mrs. b!

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

One foot off from another run. Their scouts have them positioned well.

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I, uhm, just realized that was only the first inning…

104. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Funny how the "game over" and "I'm done with this team" guy keeps coming back like a bad penny.

105. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Also, FP makes some awesome foul ball catches. Doubt Carp has those skills as an announcer.

106. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Joe Seamhead said…Sorry, but I gotta say it: Davey looking like a genius with the batting order right now. Not one of us said that we liked it before the game.Big deal, even a broken clock is right twice a day…

107. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

So, Taylor Jordan gets to pitch with a lead for the first time in his ML career.

108. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It's early

109. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Baseball gods…do you mean the name that cannot be mentioned on this blog

110. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Puig runs around the field until they stop him or he hits a fence

111. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Ken, there was a little bit of subtle humor intended, but I did like your clock comment.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Nice inning.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Very good inning Jordan…

114. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

oh boy….Buffalo is back

115. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So when Haren comes back, Jordan goes down right?So Moore is here to stay?

116. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Today marks a record with the most negatively in one blog comment in the history of the game. You can look it up.

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I must be missing tge obvious

118. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It is this analysis that should be considered: There are only 2 possible answers on the Nats: 1) They are over rated and just not that good 2) They are not motivated and playing to their abilities there are NO other reason. If it is problem one, the answer would be to rebuild the team…they clearly only have 3 starting pitchers in my view. The other potential 2 starters they may already have so free agency they can avoid. Maybe it is Jordan, Purke, etc… who knows, maybe Giolotto in 1-2 years? They must rebuild bull pen…Clip is fine, Mathhues may be fine when back, Kroll is a keeper. Storen SUCKS, Abad is BAD and how many more years can Soriano go? Ths team has dead weight…Werth will be one year older and more injury prone eah season, ALR will only go down hill and Esppi is a FLOp period. Span has no power but is a great defensive player, with other good hitters he may fit. If it is problem two…this would be a good problem. The solution is to nicely tell Davey not to let the door hit is ass on the way out. His passive/aggressive style could be destroying this young group. Get a young firey manager who is fair and honest with his players. a manger who gives tough love when needed and will call out a n underachieving player. I personally believe that since this club won 98 last year, the talent is probably there and the problem is #2. Having said that…this team needs 2 more starting pitchers. I am done with Det. When the publlic address plays the music for our players that they choose, i recommend that Det choose the old Mr Softy ice cream music. He is as soft as I have ever seen a pitcher. Also, picking up this Kelly dude is fitting, he is batting 196, he will fit in well. Finally, I would have no problem giving Rizzo one more season to get this right, if the Lerners think so. The fat they have not resigned him tells me they are smarter than all of us July 04, 2013 9:18 AM

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

No add ons, that is nothing new.

120. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

No, but the detailed and in depth comment is remarkable in its lack of brevity

121. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I would think if Jordan pitches well today he would get another start. Heck, we've seen what Haren has

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

When I see a long comment my ADD kicks in and I skip it.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Davey all but sid Haren is back next start.

124. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

In my view, the problem is the fans at the ballpark.We do not provide decent pizza or other food groups that provide the irrational exhuberance that Washington has missed since the go-go days of subprime mortgages…Bring em back, Mr. President

125. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

That was fatness right over the plate…

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Why Segura not running?

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Good pitch.l. I've always been fascinated with pitchers as I was a horrible soft/base ball player…

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I spoke to soon.

129. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Sigh… Gotta hold the runners….

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Good going Jordan….

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It was a delay steal meaning he was held, but went way late because he knew Rendon would be slow to cover.

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Inly provlem for Jordan 21 pitches to 4 batters.

133. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Brewers just missed a couple pitches that inning.

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Great bunt Desi….

135. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Desmond! Let him lead off.

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Move the line

137. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hey finally!! I like this lineup! Putting Werth in the 6 hole is perfect and where he should be. I would expect him to very productive there. Where did I hear that Werth asked to be lowered in the lineup? Smart. I like Desi batting 2nd – gets the baseknock and then STEALS!! Then we try a double steal! Hey, Davey, welcome to the party!! I like it though.Now, if they would only put Harper in RF and Werth over to LF, I would actually be a happy camper.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

That is 2014

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Zim do something

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Come on Zimm…. Base hit…

141. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

That is what Bryce used to do last year!

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

That was f_kin awesome!!!!!

143. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We;re actually playing the game of baseball!!

144. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

A manufactured run!! Cant recall when we last did that.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Great job Desi…. Great job Ryan…

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We scored, but damn quit hitting to Gomez

147. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Boy, that guy is a great center fielder….

148. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

the team has the fever – we're destined to score 10 runs today

149. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Wow this is so much more than last night.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

LaRoche just hit a fly.

151. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Span needs to move down. Or better yet out.

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Span needs to bunt more

153. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

A Werth walk! Keep him 6th —

154. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Werth looks very comfortable in the 6 spot.

155. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

now you gotta be careful with Rendon knowing Ramos is coming behind! Yes, I do like this lineup.

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Finally a running game

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

ALR needed to fly to Gomez, but didn't.Rendon forgot he was not to hit to Gomez.

158. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Span also needs to slap hit more i.e keep away from the fly ball.Span is fast, but has trouble getting started. So, he's fast, but not Quick! One reason for his trouble with his baserunning. Still, I like him at leadoff

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

IS Neil Diamonds fly open?

160. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

And Neil Diamond to boot!!!!Where is Tom Jones and Englebert

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Nice song Neil!

162. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

163. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

NatsJack, why are you lookin!

164. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Neil is killing my mojo…

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Good on you Neil…. Thankful for our troops…

166. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Where is Paul ?He plays base and sometimes the fool

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

168. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yeah…sing coming to America, Neil…encoreI love coming to America and we are the champions…Good job Neil

169. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Jordan with a huge high K. The kid is getting comfortable and confident

170. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I mean if they're 501 Levi's, he could have just missed the bottom button….Lord knows I have on more than one occasion.

171. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Where is Rick Monday ?Do you remember

172. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Flash of the old Zim

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

It's play like that…. I would have ducked, scared and hoping the ball wouldn't hit me….Good play Zimm….

174. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This is Neil Diamond, he can do Jim Morrison whenever he wants…go to keep on Risin, Nats

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Good inning Taylor J….

176. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Neil should have gone onto the field. But I guess it is just to much of a Hot August night. Sorry work with me here

177. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It wasn't me that noticed. My house mate, Linda called my attention to it.

178. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Neil and Taylor have sent the crowd into unbridled pandimoniam… I predict riots on 1/2 street…They'll burn down the container dump

179. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I wish I had a housemate like Linda

180. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Keep you eyes on the ball and you hands upon the wheel

181. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

182. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Good pitcher…..horrible bunter

183. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I never like bunting with 2 strikes. Never.

184. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

She lost interest when I told her he was 72.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hey Big Cat do you think Keith Howell should be the bunting coach?

186. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Taylor looked like he was nervous to bunt…. Awful attempts…

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

NatsFanSinceStart said… I am impressed with the Lerner's ownership. We are lucky to have them — great people. Beats having Angelos as your team ownwer Angelos the scheme master. Even figured out how to make his stadium one of the loudest by replaying the sound through the stadium speakers when his team does something well. It's like a rock concert.

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The way the first basemen position Span, he could drag a bunt any game.

189. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Poor judgement on that swing, Denard.

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He swung at a ball….

191. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Cue the Span sucks comments

192. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I agree, MNF.

193. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Taylor looked like he was nervous to bunt…. Awful attempts… It's repetition and ice in your veins to square properly. JZim is excellent at it. The Cardinals have pitchers in their Minors mastering the art of bunting.Nats have had some awful bunters. John Lannan consistently the worst bunter. If you know you can't bunt just fake the bunt and hope you get it past the 3rd baseman.

194. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

sounds like age discrimination

195. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… The way the first basemen position Span, he could drag a bunt any game. July 04, 2013 12:38 PM That's not on Span, that's on his manager. I said he should be attempting once a game. It's the way to keep the infield in.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Once again they go outside on Aoki! Will they learn? Have to get it inside on him. Sheesh.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Aoki's hitting style looks like what would work for Span.Steal?

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Desmond not an all star would be a crime.

199. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Desi, wow just wow. Dangerous as if he doesn't get it, he would get the haters on the attack.

200. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Wonder if Taylor is a little apprehensive on pitching inside since he hit the batter… Haven't really noticed if he has pitched inside…

201. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Don't think 3 is gonna be enough

202. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Desmond not an all star would be a crime.JZim, Stras, and Desi have to be in. MASN pushing for Ryan Zimmerman was an embarrasment.Bryce has to push it to deserve it. Can't be an All Star on just April stats.

203. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I like Ian in the 2 hole. I wish Davey would keep him there. He was good there earlier in the season, too.Hold on Taylor! Keep them at 1!

204. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

How Desmond is not the starting shortstop in the All Star borders on criminal.

205. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Love that line drive hit for Desi 😉

206. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Desi is on today….

207. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

208. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

NatsJack, Tulo and Segura have had great seasons. I'm fine with Desi being #3. By my metrics Desi is the 4th best shortstop in the Majors.

209. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Tulo is still out, isn't he?

210. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Ha… I remember a couple of years ago when folks were calling for Desi to be let go…. Never NatsJack and me. We were the only ones it seemed when the haters wanted Espi at SS.The worst was when a couple of posters wanted Desi thrown in to a trade for BJ Upton.

211. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

MrsB, Tulo is out for 2 to 3 more weeks.

212. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Yes. Howell would be a big improvement

213. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Ghost….hence "borders".

214. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

It's interesting Ghost reading what some of the arm chair GMs would do…I still have hope for Espi… I just think he needs to get the surgeries and come back and try again next year… He is embarrassing himself at this point…

215. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Mrs B, even though you are on the DL, you can still participate in the All Star game.

216. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Joey chestnut just broke hot dog eating record at 69. Hahaha now back to baseball

217. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Awful Zimm. Think ill get a hot dog

218. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I can't remember the last time I have watched an MLb, NFL, or NbA all star game… I'm surprised Desi didnt run since Zimm hits into GIDP a lot…

219. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Scratching my head as usual with this team. Why wasn't Desi running on 3-2 with 1 out.

220. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Is Justin Upton still tger. Only statscwere April too.

221. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

So, how far do you go with Taylor Jordan?

222. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Stay classy Swm, stay classy.

223. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

No diubt. Heck he could take Eck's job.

224. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I can't believe Jordan is out there for the 6th… I was hoping for 5 solid innings, which he gave…Good day for T Jordan.. So far…

225. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Joey Chestnutt ate 69

226. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Zim has no business hitting in the 4 hole. Davey's Rigglemanesque deference to veterans has killed this team. The Zim-Laroche 4-5 black hole needs to go. It's a double play half the time someone's on base. Please get a young manager next year who's not afraid to mix things up.

227. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Had Ian ran like tge pitch before no double play.

228. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Good job Jordan…

229. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM

One of Zim or Laroche will be gone by next year I predict. Rizzo has seen enough

230. Brandon Wedel - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Rendon is a boss

231. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:11 PM

And Mrs. B, never me calling for Desi's head.In other news, what a heads up play for baby second-bagger Rendon there! And PLEASE GUYS win this game for Taylor! GYFNG!

232. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Uh-oh.

233. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

69…a record that will never be brokenunless they start eating performance enhancing hot dogs

234. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yep. Win this game going away, please? Jordan can brag at Syracuse or Harrisburg.

235. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM

In regards to Desmond, I was never a hater, but he was exasperating sometimes. Ghost, I'll guarantee that I never advocated trading him, and certainly not for BJ Upton.

236. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Add on guys, a major problem mostvthe season.

237. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Aaa hooo!

238. Brandon Wedel - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Rendon is a boss

239. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Francisco we see why the Braves DFA

240. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

On my feet in the family room! COME ON NATS!

241. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

NatsJack I'm for winning now. Haren to the 'pen. Keep TJord around longer.

242. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Hey JoeS…..Werth with a base hit on Werewolves of London! And yes….we both take total credit for getting him to use that as a walk up.

243. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Storen- come on Davey

244. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Welcone back Wilson

245. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Alrighty, then!

246. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Wilsooooon! You're back!!!!!

247. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yessssssss…… Welcome back Ramos!

248. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

There's the Ramo! Welcome back!

249. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

So maybe we keep Jordan around more… Haren can be a long relief guy….

250. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Bases loaded BA goes up!

251. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Jack, my son just called from the beach saying how cool it was to be watching a Nats game and hearing WWof L knowing we got it started.

252. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

MrsB, see my comment at 1:23

253. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Good bunt… Hopefully Span can shorten his swing and get an opposite field hit….

254. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Dangit Ghost… I owe you a drink… Just put it on my tab….

255. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Span is just terrible at the plate. Should have let Lombo swing.

256. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Put that in a things to make you saw hmmmm category….

257. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Nuts!

258. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I would trade span.

259. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Nice patience. Against a lefty Harper needs patience.

260. Brandon Wedel - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Intentional walk to get to Harper. Never would have guessed I'd see that

261. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Maybe having a bigger lead will make it less likely for Drew to choke.

262. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I'm hoping they let Haren stay on the DL for another week so Taylor can get 2 more starts.I doubt Jordan gets more than 130 innings this year and 2 more starts will get him somewhere around 100 + innings. It would be nice to find out if he really can fill a spot.

263. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Of course Davey won't have anyone warming up when Storen struggles

264. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Good play Zimm…

265. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Wow, great play by Ryan Zimmerman!So, am I the only one surprised to see Drew today?

266. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:38 PM

NatsJack – I can go the rest of the season without seeing Haren…JoeS – I'm glad to see Drew..

267. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Pull him out now!!!

268. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Boooooooooooo. He is so bad. Get him off the team.

269. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ok. Drew. You gave up one. You can get these next two guys. You can.

270. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Fat pitch up and over the plate…

271. Dan Strong - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

*sigh* Drew….

272. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Drew just doesn't seem to do well against the Brewers.

273. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Storen is bucking for the H-Rod award.

274. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Whoa, Drew! Now you gotta wonder if when Haren comes back, Storen is the one going down

275. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Addition by subtraction. Get rid of this chump. He blew the playoffs last year. Ruined our year. Now he can't even get anyone out. Either trade him or send him down.

276. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

You know, I really think Drew needs to go down – and when there, Storen needs to pitch 3-4 inning stints; he needs to work on his pitches, get the feel, get his mojo back. He cant do that up here. I can't believe Storen is done — I think he needs lots of work to get his schtick back

277. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Thank you Aoki. Esoi like

278. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

And Drew gets a Span like swing to K Aoki.

279. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Now Davey …..now

280. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

As they say in Bull Durham NFsinceheStart, don't think, it can only hurt the team.

281. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Another gift up…

282. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Storen looks miserable –

283. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Davey trying to build the confidence in someone with zero to start with at the expense of the team. Bring in Krol. I'd trade him for a bench bat.

284. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Davey just doesn't learn.

285. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Come on Drew…. Lets get this last out…

286. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

What a coward

287. Dan Strong - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Holy god.. Davey…

288. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Wow.. I just yelled, in the dirt… Wow….

289. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Totally on Davey

290. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Told you. Thanks Davey.

291. SCNatsFan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

0-2 meatball. Storen is done.

292. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Oh man. My heart is in the basement.

293. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Darn you DAVEY JOHNSON

294. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Reserve your room in Syracuse, kid. But it'll be good for you. Put Taylor in the bull pen, until Haren implodes again.

295. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

That is why I hate Davey. Where are you Davey and Drew defenders.

296. Dan Strong - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

What does it take for Davey to take ANY action? He just sits around and watches this team implode.

297. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Way to ruin everything Drew. Way to ruin it.Time to get some runs.

298. Timothy Folk - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Drew Storen was a wasted draft pick.. I hate him

299. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

That's definitely on Davey…. Situational pitching and he doesn't take advantage of it….That was a gift… Should have thrown it in the dirt… You had no balls…

300. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

He needs a sports psychologist in one of those other major league cities. Storen's E.R.A. is 5.45 and counting….

301. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Can we boo Storwn yet? You guys who hate booing, I say boo too. When NcCatty came I booed him I wanted Davey out

302. SCNatsFan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

And the Nats bullpen pulls yet another W off a starter

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Anybody could hit that slider….

304. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I hope they Boo him

305. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Davey is a trip. That's all I can say.

306. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM

That was actually cruel by Johnson to put Storen in there. Maybe both need a ticket to ride….

307. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Like I said Davey doesn't learn. I pull him before Aoki walked into the batters box. On Davey. He doesn't learn. Espi and HenRod all over again.

308. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Puzzling…..every pitch up, lucky they are not behind

309. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Danny part 2. He'll continue to struggle even at AAA. Probably hiding injury.

310. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Storen's whip exceeds 1.5!!!

311. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Mick is a man of his word… no negative posts. So what did I miss in the top of the 7th inning? hee hee

312. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

See my posts @ 1:37, 1:39, and 1:41. Davey? You just blew the kid getting a win. Dang it.

313. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

how many games has our stubborn, slow to react manager lost with the let's try him again mentality:1. Espi2. Henry3. Haren4. Storen

314. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Not only was Storen a bad pick, we have had many chances to get excellent value for him.

315. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Davey is to blame for our record. I single handedly put the blame on him. He needs to check into a nursing home.

316. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Who stinks worse? Drew or Davey for bringing him in. What a horrible manager he is. no way this game should be like this. Dump Storen and Span and Davey.

317. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

If this team has any b$%$#, it will counter with some runs.

318. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

319. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Mick is the prophet

320. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Mick your gloating that is tied that is why I hate your post. Yiu are happy.

321. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Idk.. Some of that is on Ramos, too… Sides was ineffective… In an 0-2 count, why not throw a ball in the dirt, outside, see if he reaches…

322. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I think Johnson way over-manages his pitchers. Why wold you put Storen in there?

323. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Now bats will go silent…..sigh

324. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Slider*

325. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Starting pitchers should go on strike until Davey is let go…He's too old for this marathon game…so am i

326. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said…Mick your gloating that is tied that is why I hate your post. Yiu are happy.not at all my post below…come on gang.. be positive, Drew is doing the best he can, we will comeback and wini am being positive…. so everyone will like me.we will comeback and win, you'll see

327. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Big moment was Span not being pulled with men on 3rd and 2nd in that lefty/lefty.I thought Davey was a Math guy.

328. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Wow mick how many beers? Mick you know this team totalLy stinks. Its like a dead fish. it stinks from the head all the way down. I really hate Davey Johnson. we will lose 8-5.

329. Dan Strong - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I'm so tired of how these pitchers refuse to look at McCattey when he comes out. Like him walking out there is such a great offense to them.

330. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

You almost have to hope for the worst from these guys because then and only then does Johnson get a clue to stop using Haren and Lombo and Storen. I wonder if Rizzo finally ordered to stop putting Lombo in there every single game.

331. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Secret wasian manhee hee

332. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Some is on Harper to for swinging at first pitch against lefty.Why Clippard didnt face Gomez is on Davey.And where all those who defended Drew saying Tuesday was. Blip on the radar, when I was furious at him then?

333. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Notice how certain posters only show up when the going gets tough, just to pile on?

334. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

and the great Tom Gorzellany blows through our so called best hitters.

335. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

now Taylor Jordan pitched well…he should really stay up here

336. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

This reliever for the Brewers is impressive. Why can't we find any guys around the league like him?

337. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Werth is such a consummate pro with a huge will to win.

338. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Oh NJ – I swear mind meld… I was about to say the same thing…Idk – he had him in an 0-2 count… Slider was ineffective… Throw something, not over the plate, to see if he reaches….

339. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Is best this week is not worthy.

340. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

NJ, ghost…we are all a bunch of know it all, told you so…some positive, some negative.He without blame, should throw the first blog

341. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

whatever do you mean? .. I am being positive…don't be negative, have faith in this team, they won 98 games last year and Davey has a 600 average as a manager and won the WS 27 years ago.have faith my friend, we will win this game and if we don't, there are 75 games left and remember, Drew did the best he could and that is all that matters, he tried

342. paul brandt - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

we will win this game, chill…mick is a changed man and called it so i'm with him…good vibes all around, bring back Neil Diamond.

343. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Rendon just may play the hero right here —

344. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM

TY paul

345. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM

We had 2 of them last years

346. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Notice how Natsjack shows up just to criticize the negative posters? Why don't you man up Natsjack and admit your pissed about this awful team. don't take it out on the negative posters.

347. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Wasian…Nats jack is a nice guy and a class act..whatever do you mean?

348. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Mick HAHAHA gotta hook up at a game one time. Better yet a Neil Diamond concert.

349. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

haha I do like this lineup!!!!!!

350. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

351. paul brandt - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

sweet!!!!!!!!!!! mick is jesus

352. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

WILSOOOOOOON! I'm crying with happiness! CRYING I tell you!

353. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Ramos didn't run so he wouldn't hurt his hammy….

354. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Way to go Wilson! Wow… Killer… He knew he got it too…

355. Dan Strong - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Thank you Wilson for cleaning up the crap by Storen and Davey.

356. RickH - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

WELCOME BACK, WILSON!!!

357. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I told you, ye of little faith…we would win this game..way to go Wilson

358. UnkyD - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

moose

359. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ramos saves Davey's a$$.Now try not to blow it for 2 innings.Keep your head in the game…take 5 hour energy, speed, whatever.

360. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Mick it must be the positive vibe. WILSON!!!!!

361. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If nats jack is like me, we dont mind negative comments on pkaysWe hate posrers who take pride in the negative happening, because its make them right.They rather be right then Nats win.Go Buffelo.

362. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Storen probably won't be happy but Johnson must be the most relieved person in Washington.

363. Brandon Wedel - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hey you were right Mick we did comeback

364. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

So Storen in line for the win. What a vulture.

365. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Storen in line for the win……priceless

366. CN - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Wonder who will get a gatorade shower w/ Miss Alexandria….

367. SCNatsFan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

And Storen is in line for the W. That's why it's a useless stat for relievers.

368. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This is a lineup that is so potentially potent, that it can even overcome Davey!

369. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

They should have left Gorzo in.

370. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Good Star MnF…

371. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I am so happy Wilson Ramos is back! I hope he stays healthy and injury free. See, Nats Jack, I said something nice.

372. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I say grant Ramos and his whole family citizenship!

373. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

bless you my son PaulLOL

374. Amr Khani - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

That's why wins and losses for a pitcher is a nonsensical stat.

375. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Fickked baseball God. If Nats keep lean Storen wins.Tracy is almost worthless.

376. Smatt1001 - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

And the Buffalo strikes again!

377. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

and bless you my son Jeffwxlol

378. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Great distinction, Manassas! The gloating and nehnehneh of it is what makes me nuts. Im sorry Taylor won't get the win. But we may still get the Curlie W!

379. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Natsjack……lead or unleaded ?

380. Section 135 - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Ramos. What A beast. We missed you.

381. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Wasina…beer is on me

382. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change

383. waddu eye no - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

ok here's the homecoming plan:harper – first game back – HRramos – first game back – HRharen – first game back – NO HOME RUNS!can we do it? see you all at the capitol tonitegyfng

384. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I post negative because I am frustrated. I have NO Want for the Nats to lose. I have been to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Crackmore (balt) and DC to see this team this year. I care. AND SO DO other posters who seem negative sometimes. the fact that folks are watching means they care.

385. pk24 - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I feel bad for TJ but great to have the Buffalo back!!! Now we just need Clip and Soriano to do there thing.

386. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I recall a game where the starter was pulled after 8 2/3 in a tie game. Reliever threw one pitch -retired batter on linedrive. In the bottom of the 9th, they scored and the pitcher who threw one pitch got the win! Unbelievable, but that's how its done

387. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Ramos being back will help Suzuki as he will get more rest for his bat.

388. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Clippard did something like that in the All Star game.

389. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I've met most of the solid posters on this site. I've never had one of you loser neganons come up to introduce themselves …….. EVER!I usually am wearing a red Nats shersey with NATSJACK on the back to all the 15 plus games at Nats Park or the 20+ Spring Training games I attend.So whatever.

390. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I stare in amazement and wonder how we won 98 games with Henry, Drew and Clip carrying a lot of the bull pen load.

391. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

So you are inviting all the "losers" to come up to you and introduce themselves? How kind!

392. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

We had some 2 out magic going on there.. Chad Tracy is a mess….

393. paul brandt - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Werth has to call him off and take charge there.

394. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

good recovery, Rendon well done

395. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Then dont predict negative future. We will win the east.

396. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM

No one introduced themselves to me either,I always wear a red nats hat to all 20 games i go to.

397. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Be truthfull….It's "loser neganons". And yes…feel free to say hello.

398. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Hey I think everyone is entitled to their opinion whatever that may be. No one should be attacked for their honest opinion. When that happens, who's worse: the negative poster, or the Attacker?

399. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Clip and Store were pretty much good as gold last year, NatsFanSince. A few bad games (and one that will live in infamy) but they were awesome. Storen is clearly struggling this year. I still believe he has lights out stuff. But maybe needs a fresh start somewhere else.

400. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I am going Saturday section 314

401. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Bwahahahahahahahaaaaa…..

402. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Paul, I think Werth tried to call him off. I also think he got a little admonishment from Jayson afterwards. Rendon has been great, but there is still a learning curve in play.

403. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Nats Jack, Does everybody have to be a Little Mary Sunshine to post here?. No wonder you hate Rod Dibble despite the fact he speaks so highly of you.

404. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Oh I know, Janet — somewhat rhetorical comment there. Last year was indeed 'lightning in a bottle." This year, not so much

405. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think Jayson should have called Rendon off… But so glad to see Anthony wearing the shades now…

406. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Span needs to drag bunt not at third bunt.

407. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Most of the people who sign on when things are going bad generally do so to either be consoled or to find out if there is something going on with a certain player that they have missed. There are different mentalities but some people believe that it is somewhat classless to come on the site just to gloat when things are going well, and those types are actually affirming their loyalty to the Nats by commenting at the worst of times, rather than only when things go well as homers often do.

408. phil dunton - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I hope Ian Desmond makes the All Star team.

409. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I am all for honest opinion.I am all against negatuve preductions. You can have them, just share them in a negative blog.I like the bkig to all positive predictionsObviously I live in a utopia

410. paul brandt - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM

nice piece of hitting there.

411. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I like knowledgeable baseball fans. Anyone who has met me (including over 30 regular posters from this site) will vouch for that.

412. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Soriano is a cool customer. Good job

413. Brandon Wedel - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Curly W in the books. Totally awesome….Yes!! You called it Mick

414. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I hope Storen can sleep tonight

415. natsfan1a - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Great win, boys. Maybe Drew should give the "win" ball to Taylor, though. Just a thought.Loved the Ramos dinger and curtain call. My tv screen got all blurry after, but it cleared up after a bit…

416. JaneB - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I can totally vouch for NatsJack's knowledge and insights about this game. I've learned a lot from him. Lots of others too.

417. slidell2 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I would like for someone to explain to us all the rationale for determining the "winning" pitcher. It seems that the only one absolutely cut out of the mix if a reliever messes up is the starter who has left the game, even if the starter leaves ahead and has pitched a quality start. He is completely at the mercy of whatever shenanigans his relievers perpetrate. Today, Drew should buy Taylor a steak, a big one.

418. jw - Jul 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

http://scorekeeping.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/determining-winning-losing-and-saving-pitchers/This links to a blog posting that discusses the process for determining winning pitchers. In general, the winning pitcher needs to pitch the half inning before the winning team takes a lead that it doesn't relinquish. If a starter's team is leading when he is relieved, but the other team ties later ties the game, "it's a brand new ballgame", and both starting pitchers get "no decisions".