Game 85: Brewers at Nats

Jul 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Good morning from the ballpark. (That's not something I type often.) It's Independence Day, and that means a continuation of a new tradition here at Nationals Park: the 11:05 a.m. game. It's a bit unconventional, but it's not a bad little tradition (plus it gives everyone plenty of time to get home and enjoy the rest of the holiday.

The Nationals are getting a nice boost today, with Wilson Ramos returning from the DL. The catcher went 0-for-10 on his rehab assignment with Class A Potomac, but those numbers are less significant than the fact his hamstring is healthy and he's good to go for the first time since May 15. Which means, for the first time since mid-April, Davey Johnson will be fielding his complete starting lineup (with Anthony Rendon having replaced Danny Espinosa, of course).

Taylor Jordan makes his second career start, hoping to earn his first career win. All indications are that either way, Jordan will be sent back to the minors after this one, with Dan Haren on track to return from the DL and take Taylor's spot in five days. You'd certainly like to see the kid pitch well and be rewarded for his efforts today.

Updates to come, so please check back…

MILWAUKEE BREWERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 11:05 a.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to LF

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. TimDz - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It would be nice to see the Nats pitcher look like the second coming of Cy Young for a change….I'm so very tired of the opposing team's pitcher, be it rookie pitcher or journeyman, carve up the Nats lineup….

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

karlkolchak said… If I really believed Danny's shoulder injury was not the problem, I'd be worriedI think you should be worried. This was the same guy I saw in April 2012. He is a swing & miss mess. A long swing guy going for 400 foot HRs. How do you make a guy a contact hitter when he wants to be a HR hitter but isn't that guy.180+ K's.The excuses made for him over the years here is a joke within itself and Davey's pre-game comments yesterday just shot you all down.While it's sad, I'm laughing because I started writing it here in June 2011 when I really saw his swing & miss exposed. Once you peel away the early success he had when there was no scouting on him, it's been a striking revelation to what Espi really was.Then this year you have a player protecting his shoulder where I noted in Spring Training he wasn't laying out for balls and you could see those effects early in the season some of the balls that he was no longer getting to. His UZR didn't slip much but you could see it, but his sub-Mendoza hitting couldn't overcome his Top 5 defense.

3. SCNatsFan - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Baseball and the Fourth of July a perfect match

4. sjm308 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Happy Fourth to everyone!Will be outside working on the yard, listening to Charlie & Dave and will run inside if I want to see something exciting. I believe I am not the only one whose expectations were set way too high. A combination of national exposure and my own bias I guess. Hard to believe we might actually be a .500 club but I am still going to enjoy every game, trust in the people that are professionals and hope we can turn this around.One thing about Desmond hitting 2nd. We will not get the pitcher to throw lots of pitches in the first inning but maybe this will spark others. Just have to see. I think in the long run Rendon bats 2nd but Davey does like to take his time making decisions.Go Nats!!

5. sjm308 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Someone on an earlier post asked if we missed Morse. While I was big on keeping him as a super sub back when that was unrealistic at best, I have to say that no, I don't miss him. I also wish his walk-up music was eliminated. Now, would I be OK if Natslady got her wish and Rizzo signed him as the big bat off the bench rental for the rest of this season. Sure.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

For anyone who missed this on Davey and Espinosa it's from his pre-game yesterday talking about Danny going 0-8 and batting under .099“I saw his approach,” Johnson said. “He’s changed a little bit in his approach. He’s still trying to hit the ball hard, every swing was pretty hard. I think his thing is more mental approach. I think he’s got a misguided opinion that it’s okay if you hit .220 and hit 20 home runs. He has the talent to be a real good hitter, put the ball in play."

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Moving Desi to the 2 hole? He's been your RBI guy. Why not just move Werth back to 6 and move everyone else up 1 or just flip-flop Rendon for Werth.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I'm curious to see Taylor Jordan with better defense behind him.

9. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Happy Independence Day peeps! May you enjoy the holiday and the game….Interesting line up.. Desi in the 2 hole… I think I would have flipped Rendon and Werth… Lets Go Nats! Lets do this!

10. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Joe Seamhead said…I remain positive. Why? Let me tell you why.We have baseball in DC. We're not eliminated on July 4th.Look, I don't agree with a lot of Davey's moves either. I'm frustrated, too, but I rooted for the Senators, and I've gone to 25-30 games a year since the Nats came to town. This 2013 may not be meeting your expectations, but they are not awful. The teams we watched from 2006 through 2011 were really, truly awful. I cheered for them anyway. Around 2009 I started seeing that there was an organization being built starting at the lowest level in the instructional league, and going up to the higher levels of the minors. Friends thought I was crazy when I told them the Nats were going to be competitive by 2011. Now, I've been to a lot of very stirring moments in sporting events from baseball, to football, hockey, boxing, etc. But nothing beat one night from last year, and that was a night when we didn't win the game, but we won the NL East title. For me, and for a lot of other old curmudgeons around me, it was almost a spiritual experience. I saw folks in their 50's, 60's, 70's with tears in their eyes. Our families waited generations for that moment. I will remain thankful to Mike Rizzo not just for last year, but for having a long term plan to bring us a competitive team for years to come. We may, or may not win a playoff spot this year, but I will remain thankful that we have this team, and will continue to believe in them, and in the words of the great sage, "It ain't over till it's over." Sorry some of you don't share my optimism, but I still think we got this, and I will think so until when the math says we are eliminated.GYFNG!!!July 04, 2013 10:20 AM

11. Kirbs - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I do NOT like this line up!!!! Rendon 2!

12. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

so if Jordan pitches 7 innings, gives 1-2 runs, he will go back to minors and Haren replaces him? hmm…nothing ceazes to amaze me anymore

13. Doc - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Looney bin or bust!!Gooooooooooooooo Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats!!!!P.S. Thanks for Davey's quote, Ghost. I don't get the pre-game show, so I wouldn't have heard it.I think that what Davey is saying, when I re-formulate it within the context of my own perspective, is that Espi is deluded about what he can do as a hitter. He might spend the rest of his career being so deluced.

14. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

then by all means…send Rendon down and have Espi come back at the same time Haren comes back…after all Davey is a genius and the WS in 1986….

15. Doc - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Deluced(typo)=deluded!Sorry about that.

16. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

If Jordan gets out of the 5th, I'll be happy. It will be the first time one of our AA spot starters has done that in 5 attempts. I'm pretty discouraged after the last two nights, though I seem to remember that the Braves were shut out twice by the Brew Crew recently, so I guess there's that. But one shining star right now is Rendon — both his offense and his defense are way more than even those of us who were calling for this change had any right to expect. Go Anthony!Bryce seemed listless last night after his first two hard hit balls and that error. I'm hoping for a big turn around game for him today. We need him to get hot and stay hot if we're going to have any chance of catching up.See you at the park!

17. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Ghost and Mrs. B, I'm a little lost on Davey's line up today, too. I just hope it works. Let's also hope the defense shows up for Taylor Jordan today.

18. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM

who cares what the lineup is…nothing will change until 2014, same players same results etc etc……I watch to enjoy players like Rendon, Bryce, Stras, JZim, R Zim and Gio…will always pull for those guys because they are gamers…

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Joe Seamhead said… I remain positive.I remain positive overall but the Nats are playing catch-up because of the problems that weren't fixed in the off-season.This is now the team where the only weakness is the question of the #5 pitcher.

20. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

One thing that has been obscured is that the Span and Morse deals didn't have to be linked in any way. Rizzo could have dealt Morse and at the same time, he could have acquired a player to fill that power void.The Nats achieved any offensive success last year based upon an advantage in home runs. With Morse gone, and Moore and Espinosa providing far fewer homers, and LaRoche and Zimmerman down in homers, that basically leaves Desmond and Harper, when he has been able to play.This line-up cannot be successful without hitting homers. It is not going to happen. They simply do not get on base enough. That is why we have so many left on base. 2nd base truly is where Nats go to die. So either Zimmerman and LaRoche and Werth are going to start picking up that slack, or that is the way it goes. I don't know if Willingham is available, but we definitely need another hitter with some punch.

21. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Davey is lost too, he really should step down All Star break to avoid the embarassement of being fired..he deserves to go out with dignity. If a new manager does not do better, then Davey an Eck are vindicated and then it means Nats have a talent problem

22. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM

23. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

222 – Not just Bryce… We need for the line up to get consistent… Yeah JoeS – I think we got this too… And I will stop believing until we are mathematically out…

24. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Morse's club house presence was as valuable as a 20 home run hitter…that move will never make sense, ever..I was against it when it happen so I am not a Johnny come lately about Morse

25. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Looks like Davey threw Espinoza under the bus.Davey has been either lying all along in all of his positive comments on him or just delusional and now sees it.

26. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

will be happy if the club wins 82 games…the worst thing that could happen would be a worse record than 2011…then this franchise could be headed back to 90-00 loss seassons

27. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

28. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Im staying positive. Just want to see a sense of urgency.Happy 4th!

29. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

"mick said… Nats128…you may be right…I think both Davey and Rizzo have been very dishonest in general…I never thought that of Davey until now. Rizzo has always been full of himself and he sounds like a used car salesman"Might be Davey finally hit his tipping point at the same time Danny started hitting in AAA at below .100The truth is now out and def on Rizzo being a used car salesman. Most see thru it.

30. Kirbs - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It is very nice to see Wilson back…I just hope that everything is good and loose!

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yeah Ghost – I think about if we were able to have Haren give us as least 4 wins… Things would be different…But I'm hoping that Rizzo will get another SP (from where I don't know) and another bat (which is why I would have been cool with getting Manny) to get on the goon squad… Moore, obviously, isn't ready and the rest of the bench isn't producing like we want them too…

32. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I remember NatsJack saying last winter that the word was that the powers that be were near to reaching an end limit with Espinosa over his refusal to follow through with how to alter his approach. Like with Henry, they tried in vain to wait him out because of the "potential" that they saw in him. Wrong again, but Danny may yet see the light, but I doubt it will be with the Nats.

33. mick - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Good for you Nats128..I will make a pact and stick with it the rest of the season:I Mick, will not post another negative comment the rest of the season, I will post positive things about the good players on this team. I promise.. The reason…the 2013 season is OVER in terms of post season…I will eagerly await Davey, Eck and many other departures and will look forward to 2014. There is no reason for me to rant about Haren, Storen, Espi, Det, etc.. because they simply SUCK and are LOSERS. There I got that out, from now on I will be nice MickHAPPY 4th to ALL and GOD BLESS OUR VETS!!!!!

34. Nats 128 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Danny needs to slow it down at Potomac and move up from there. AAA isnt helping him. Let him destroy A ball and promote him from there. Hoping he will get better at AAA is just what they did for 2 months with the Nats this year "Aint happening".

35. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

128 – Davey can't throw his players under the bus.. He has to show support… I think the demotion speaks for itself… Just like when DJ said its okay for us to not have any lefties in the BP, we all knew something different…Had DJ said he was fed up with DE etc, can you imagine all the other conspiracy theories that would have come out about DJ and Rizzo not on the same page etc.. It would have added to the pressure already on the Nats…

36. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Interesting what the nats decide to do around the trade deadline…play for this year or next ?

37. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Congrats to the Hagerstown Suns. Six players named to the SAL League All Star team, matching the most for any one team.

38. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

mick said… There is no reason for me to rant about Haren, Storen, Espi, Det, etc.. because they simply SUCK and are LOSERS. There I got that out, from now on I will be nice MickIt's using the players you have better. Storen didn't have his A game on Tuesday and shouldn't be facing lefties in critical situations.I don't know if it was Detwiler or Suzuki but the game planning on Aoki was bad. Usually a pitchers success comes down to a handful of pitches. 2 earned runs, not awful.On Haren, you saw the guy I proposed all off-season the target for the Nats, Kyle Lohse. A guy who can be a low 3.00's in ERA is far superior to Haren and by the way, Lohse was signed for $11 million.

39. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Not too many wanted Lohse that I know of…. I know I did… I hated the Haren signing and got a lot of flack becuz I was vehement about it..

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

GYFNG

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM

MrsB, I was writing about Lohse during the 2012 off-season. Yes, his metrics said he wouldn't repeat a 2.89 ERA but it appeared he could be a 3.25It was disappointing because he was there for the taking.

42. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

When we hit it hard but it is fielded is that bad luck or is it good scouring by tge opponents?

43. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Oh Ghost – I said the same thing… As soon as I saw we were letting EJax walk, I said time to get Lohse… He seems to be a Nats killer, time to put him on our squad…As soon as we signed Haren – I noted his health and a prime issue and how he didnt show me anything in 2012 to warrant this signing… I thought hell, at least with EJax we know who/what we were getting…And then I remember all the excuses for Haren – how ST isn't a big deal for him, how he needed to get on a schedule, all that other mess… Yeah, not having a 4/5 pitcher is hurting us…

44. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Welcome back Wilson! Hope you being back will also jump start this offense… Again…

45. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:08 PM

we're healthy in the offense….now hitI think the pitching is good enuf….In fact the best ERA in the MLhitting still one of the worst in ml.Get another outfielder to platoon, give rests for Werth.

46. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

We have a couple of problems…but having 5 stephan strasburgs with the worst hitting in the majors will not help.

47. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hitting a guy on an 0-2 count arggggggg

48. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This will hurt Taylor's ability to pitch inside for a while today.

49. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Can anyone hold a man on first? No

50. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Segura just deked out everyone. I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I'm stealing!

51. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Fotuneately, I've discovered beer at 11 AM tastes the same.

52. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I picked a bad decade to give up drinking.I guess you're allowed to have a beer before noon on July 4th

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The Brewers are missing Braun and Hart 75 homers last year and we are fighting for a split

54. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Wow, hitting with RISP…Let's try that today.

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

There you go. That's what contact does. Not great contact but good enough.Take notice.

56. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Manufacturing runs… I don't believe Segura was actually hurt…

57. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

hmmm…i guess Ohlendorf is the backup pitcher today

58. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Hit a guy refuse to hold him, you are begging them to score.Are pitchers I thought were suppose not to give up first run.Email not read again.

59. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I'd be happy if we get a split….not at all a certainty

60. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Francisco, a guy who the Braves DFA'd a few weeks ago.

61. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Brewers score,. Game over.

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We had contact very hard last night. It is where the contact goes

63. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Wow, FP says Brewers are 23-11 when they score first. How can they be so bad ?

64. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Not a horrible inning for Jordan… I do wonder though whether it is the slow wind-ups or what to why we can't hold runners at first…

65. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Lets get runs early. The later we wait the more pressure we will feel.

66. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

13 chances to score with runners on base in the last 2 games and you do not. maybe they need more chances ?

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Our contact seemed to find a glove last night….Didnt Taylor hit a Met in his last start?

68. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I think Jordan is coming from AA. It takes a bit of learning to keep runners close while trying to focus on the next batter after you hit the previous batter on the 4th of july in the big league

69. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Darn…found a glove

70. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

That makes 4 bluff bunt attempts by Span and Desmond taken for strikes in 3 days.

71. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Span needs to line the ball not pop it.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The way Desmond hit it is how Span needs to hit. Liners.

73. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yep…Jason, a good number 7 hitter

74. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Ian is so not scared to swing at the first pitch….

75. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Ian not so scared to swing at any pitch ;)

76. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We STOLE A BASE!!!!WE STOLE A BASE!!!!

77. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

ok, how about Rendon/Desmond/Harper/Zimm/ALR/Ramos/Werth/Pitcher/Span

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

You can definitely see the growth of Harp at the plate… Love it..

79. Section 222 - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I liked Lohse too, but you guys seem to forget that it would have cost a draft pick to sign him. We already lost one pick for Soriano. That's why it took Lohse so long to find a team.

80. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

They had both bases stolen… That was a ball…

81. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Great point, Deuces, at 11:27.

82. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Man on second Lucroy singles, zim takes a 3rd strike.Swung on ball 3 when they had a double steal.

83. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

jeffwx said…Wow, FP says Brewers are 23-11 when they score first. How can they be so bad?If FP wants to look at who scores when wins most, he should look at the numbers of "who scores first after the 1st run had been scored" because the team that does score first after the first run wins at a clip in the mid to high 90's percentage wise.BTW, FP is a putz

84. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

And once again a nats hitter stands and looks at strike 3. Disgusting baseball. Not even trying.

85. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I wanted gim before we sot Soriano.

86. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Nice…. Way to go Adam… Yes…

87. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yes…2 out hit with RISP…the most important hit in baseball

88. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Nice job ALR. Good things can happen when you swing.

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Wasian i asked yesterday i wonder how we rank in called 3rd strike.ALR bailed out Zim

90. Knoxville Nat - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ghost and 222,Wasn't Lohse also looking for a 5 year deal @ $15mm per year? I think he settled for 3 years and maybe $11 or $12 mil per year. I also think he is in his mid 30's so that may have been a reason Rizzo stayed away from him.

91. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

FP…a putz ? then what is bob carpenter

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Keep the line moving.

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good job… Base hit…. Way to go Jay Dubbs!

94. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ken I used to like FP and Carp. But now they are just a bunch of yes men for the nats.Nice shit Shaggy Doo

95. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Now that's awesome…

96. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

222 – So my comment got lost is cyber space..I was fine with giving up the draft pick… Think an issue may have been Lohse wanting multiple years… But I still wanted him instead of Haren…

97. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

98. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM

No JoeS – take it back, take it back… The game isn't over…

99. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Makes sense to move Werth down, but agree I didn't like Desmond in the 2 hole…Frankly think he is not patient enuf for that and better at driving in runs. still like Rendon there.Boy when Rendon adjusts timing to keep his foul doubles fair

100. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

jeffwx said…FP…a putz ? then what isbob carpenterA very good "basketball" fan… And he makes FP look like a genius.

101. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Nah, the baseball gods don't pay any attention to me, Mrs. b!

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

One foot off from another run. Their scouts have them positioned well.

103. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I, uhm, just realized that was only the first inning…

104. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Funny how the "game over" and "I'm done with this team" guy keeps coming back like a bad penny.

105. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Also, FP makes some awesome foul ball catches. Doubt Carp has those skills as an announcer.

106. Ken - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Joe Seamhead said…Sorry, but I gotta say it: Davey looking like a genius with the batting order right now. Not one of us said that we liked it before the game.Big deal, even a broken clock is right twice a day…

107. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

So, Taylor Jordan gets to pitch with a lead for the first time in his ML career.

108. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It's early

109. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Baseball gods…do you mean the name that cannot be mentioned on this blog

110. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Puig runs around the field until they stop him or he hits a fence

111. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Ken, there was a little bit of subtle humor intended, but I did like your clock comment.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Nice inning.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Very good inning Jordan…

114. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

oh boy….Buffalo is back

115. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

So when Haren comes back, Jordan goes down right?So Moore is here to stay?

116. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Today marks a record with the most negatively in one blog comment in the history of the game. You can look it up.

117. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I must be missing tge obvious

118. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It is this analysis that should be considered: There are only 2 possible answers on the Nats: 1) They are over rated and just not that good 2) They are not motivated and playing to their abilities there are NO other reason. If it is problem one, the answer would be to rebuild the team…they clearly only have 3 starting pitchers in my view. The other potential 2 starters they may already have so free agency they can avoid. Maybe it is Jordan, Purke, etc… who knows, maybe Giolotto in 1-2 years? They must rebuild bull pen…Clip is fine, Mathhues may be fine when back, Kroll is a keeper. Storen SUCKS, Abad is BAD and how many more years can Soriano go? Ths team has dead weight…Werth will be one year older and more injury prone eah season, ALR will only go down hill and Esppi is a FLOp period. Span has no power but is a great defensive player, with other good hitters he may fit. If it is problem two…this would be a good problem. The solution is to nicely tell Davey not to let the door hit is ass on the way out. His passive/aggressive style could be destroying this young group. Get a young firey manager who is fair and honest with his players. a manger who gives tough love when needed and will call out a n underachieving player. I personally believe that since this club won 98 last year, the talent is probably there and the problem is #2. Having said that…this team needs 2 more starting pitchers. I am done with Det. When the publlic address plays the music for our players that they choose, i recommend that Det choose the old Mr Softy ice cream music. He is as soft as I have ever seen a pitcher. Also, picking up this Kelly dude is fitting, he is batting 196, he will fit in well. Finally, I would have no problem giving Rizzo one more season to get this right, if the Lerners think so. The fat they have not resigned him tells me they are smarter than all of us July 04, 2013 9:18 AM

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

No add ons, that is nothing new.

120. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

No, but the detailed and in depth comment is remarkable in its lack of brevity

121. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I would think if Jordan pitches well today he would get another start. Heck, we've seen what Haren has

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

When I see a long comment my ADD kicks in and I skip it.

123. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Davey all but sid Haren is back next start.

124. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

In my view, the problem is the fans at the ballpark.We do not provide decent pizza or other food groups that provide the irrational exhuberance that Washington has missed since the go-go days of subprime mortgages…Bring em back, Mr. President

125. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM

That was fatness right over the plate…

126. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Why Segura not running?

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Good pitch.l. I've always been fascinated with pitchers as I was a horrible soft/base ball player…

128. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I spoke to soon.

129. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Sigh… Gotta hold the runners….

130. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Good going Jordan….

131. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It was a delay steal meaning he was held, but went way late because he knew Rendon would be slow to cover.

132. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Inly provlem for Jordan 21 pitches to 4 batters.

133. BigCat - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Brewers just missed a couple pitches that inning.

134. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Great bunt Desi….

135. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Desmond! Let him lead off.

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Move the line

137. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hey finally!! I like this lineup! Putting Werth in the 6 hole is perfect and where he should be. I would expect him to very productive there. Where did I hear that Werth asked to be lowered in the lineup? Smart. I like Desi batting 2nd – gets the baseknock and then STEALS!! Then we try a double steal! Hey, Davey, welcome to the party!! I like it though.Now, if they would only put Harper in RF and Werth over to LF, I would actually be a happy camper.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

That is 2014

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Zim do something

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Come on Zimm…. Base hit…

141. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

That is what Bryce used to do last year!

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

That was f_kin awesome!!!!!

143. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We;re actually playing the game of baseball!!

144. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

A manufactured run!! Cant recall when we last did that.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Great job Desi…. Great job Ryan…

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We scored, but damn quit hitting to Gomez

147. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Boy, that guy is a great center fielder….

148. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

the team has the fever – we're destined to score 10 runs today

149. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Wow this is so much more than last night.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

LaRoche just hit a fly.

151. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Span needs to move down. Or better yet out.

152. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Span needs to bunt more

153. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

A Werth walk! Keep him 6th —

154. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Werth looks very comfortable in the 6 spot.

155. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

now you gotta be careful with Rendon knowing Ramos is coming behind! Yes, I do like this lineup.

156. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Finally a running game

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

ALR needed to fly to Gomez, but didn't.Rendon forgot he was not to hit to Gomez.

158. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Span also needs to slap hit more i.e keep away from the fly ball.Span is fast, but has trouble getting started. So, he's fast, but not Quick! One reason for his trouble with his baserunning. Still, I like him at leadoff

159. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

IS Neil Diamonds fly open?

160. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

And Neil Diamond to boot!!!!Where is Tom Jones and Englebert

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Nice song Neil!

162. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

163. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

NatsJack, why are you lookin!

164. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Neil is killing my mojo…

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Good on you Neil…. Thankful for our troops…

166. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Where is Paul ?He plays base and sometimes the fool

167. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM

168. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Yeah…sing coming to America, Neil…encoreI love coming to America and we are the champions…Good job Neil

169. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Jordan with a huge high K. The kid is getting comfortable and confident

170. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I mean if they're 501 Levi's, he could have just missed the bottom button….Lord knows I have on more than one occasion.

171. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Where is Rick Monday ?Do you remember

172. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Flash of the old Zim

173. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM

It's play like that…. I would have ducked, scared and hoping the ball wouldn't hit me….Good play Zimm….

174. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This is Neil Diamond, he can do Jim Morrison whenever he wants…go to keep on Risin, Nats

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Good inning Taylor J….

176. Secret wasian man - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Neil should have gone onto the field. But I guess it is just to much of a Hot August night. Sorry work with me here

177. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It wasn't me that noticed. My house mate, Linda called my attention to it.

178. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Neil and Taylor have sent the crowd into unbridled pandimoniam… I predict riots on 1/2 street…They'll burn down the container dump

179. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I wish I had a housemate like Linda

180. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Keep you eyes on the ball and you hands upon the wheel

181. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

182. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Good pitcher…..horrible bunter

183. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I never like bunting with 2 strikes. Never.

184. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

She lost interest when I told her he was 72.

185. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Hey Big Cat do you think Keith Howell should be the bunting coach?

186. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Taylor looked like he was nervous to bunt…. Awful attempts…

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

NatsFanSinceStart said… I am impressed with the Lerner's ownership. We are lucky to have them — great people. Beats having Angelos as your team ownwer Angelos the scheme master. Even figured out how to make his stadium one of the loudest by replaying the sound through the stadium speakers when his team does something well. It's like a rock concert.

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The way the first basemen position Span, he could drag a bunt any game.

189. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Poor judgement on that swing, Denard.

190. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He swung at a ball….

191. ExposedinDC - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Cue the Span sucks comments

192. Joe Seamhead - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I agree, MNF.

193. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Taylor looked like he was nervous to bunt…. Awful attempts… It's repetition and ice in your veins to square properly. JZim is excellent at it. The Cardinals have pitchers in their Minors mastering the art of bunting.Nats have had some awful bunters. John Lannan consistently the worst bunter. If you know you can't bunt just fake the bunt and hope you get it past the 3rd baseman.

194. jeffwx - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:42 PM

sounds like age discrimination

195. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… The way the first basemen position Span, he could drag a bunt any game. July 04, 2013 12:38 PM That's not on Span, that's on his manager. I said he should be attempting once a game. It's the way to keep the infield in.

196. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Once again they go outside on Aoki! Will they learn? Have to get it inside on him. Sheesh.

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Aoki's hitting style looks like what would work for Span.Steal?

198. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Desmond not an all star would be a crime.

199. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Desi, wow just wow. Dangerous as if he doesn't get it, he would get the haters on the attack.

200. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Wonder if Taylor is a little apprehensive on pitching inside since he hit the batter… Haven't really noticed if he has pitched inside…