Jul 4, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Two steps forward, two steps backward. If the Nationals thought they had finally gotten themselves on track with back-to-back blowout wins to begin the week, they were sorely mistaken. They've been back to their old ways the last two nights, done in by a nonexistent offensive attack and some costly mistakes in the field. Ross Detwiler pitched OK, but he allowed two earned runs and then two more that were attributable to Bryce Harper's dropped line drive in the sixth. It wouldn't have mattered if Harper made that play, though, because the Nationals lineup wasn't going to do anything against Kyle Lohse. Anthony Rendon homered in the bottom of the seventh, and that was it. Francisco Rodriguez did bring the tying run to the plate in the ninth but finished it off, dealing the Nationals their second straight disappointing loss to a last-place Brewers club. They're back at the .500 mark, and now they have to win tomorrow morning just to salvage a four-game split against Milwaukee.
Hitting lowlight: It's become a broken record: Every time you think the Nationals' lineup has snapped out of its season-long funk, it puts forth a lifeless display like this. One night after getting shut out by Wily Peralta and the Brewers bullpen, the Nationals wereRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence