Jul 6, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 9:00 p.m.
Still experiencing the same lower back discomfort that nearly sidelined him a week ago, Ross Detwiler will have to make another trip to the disabled list.
Manager Davey Johnson said Detwiler didn’t appear to be 100 percent healthy during his between-starts bullpen session earlier today. The left-hander was due to take the mound Monday in Philadelphia, but Johnson said the club doesn’t want to take a chance and will place him on the DL.
“He’s a tough customer,” Johnson said. “But he understood the value of getting by this thing. He got a whole lot of treatment today, and so hopefully we can get by. He’ll be good coming back after the [All-Star] break.”
Detwiler already missed a month earlier this season with a strained oblique muscle. This back issue is unrelated, but it first cropped up during his June 28 start in New York.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager