Jul 6, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 9:00 p.m.
Still experiencing the same lower back discomfort that nearly sidelined him a week ago, Ross Detwiler will have to make another trip to the disabled list.
Manager Davey Johnson said Detwiler didn’t appear to be 100 percent healthy during his between-starts bullpen session earlier today. The left-hander was due to take the mound Monday in Philadelphia, but Johnson said the club doesn’t want to take a chance and will place him on the DL.
“He’s a tough customer,” Johnson said. “But he understood the value of getting by this thing. He got a whole lot of treatment today, and so hopefully we can get by. He’ll be good coming back after the [All-Star] break.”
Detwiler already missed a month earlier this season with a strained oblique muscle. This back issue is unrelated, but it first cropped up during his June 28 start in New York.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats