Jul 6, 2013, 7:42 PM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Updated at 9:00 p.m.
Still experiencing the same lower back discomfort that nearly sidelined him a week ago, Ross Detwiler will have to make another trip to the disabled list.
Manager Davey Johnson said Detwiler didn’t appear to be 100 percent healthy during his between-starts bullpen session earlier today. The left-hander was due to take the mound Monday in Philadelphia, but Johnson said the club doesn’t want to take a chance and will place him on the DL.
“He’s a tough customer,” Johnson said. “But he understood the value of getting by this thing. He got a whole lot of treatment today, and so hopefully we can get by. He’ll be good coming back after the [All-Star] break.”
Detwiler already missed a month earlier this season with a strained oblique muscle. This back issue is unrelated, but it first cropped up during his June 28 start in New York.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful