Jul 6, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
So much for best-laid plans. Davey Johnson said last night he planned to sit Bryce Harper for the rest of the weekend, believing the young outfielder needed a physical and mental break. Well, after getting word of that plan late last night, Harper sent a text to his manager that read: "Play me or trade me." Davey's response today: "Since trading him is out of the question, I guess I'm going to play him." (And no, Harper wasn't serious about the trade demand. Come on, people, use some common sense!)
So today's lineup ends up looking exactly like the previous two lineups, aside from Kurt Suzuki catching in place of the red-hot Wilson Ramos, who is getting a well-earned day off. We'll see if this group can once again produce eight runs as it has the last two nights. It will be taking its hacks against an old pal, Jason Marquis, who leads the Padres with nine wins but also leads the NL with 60 walks.
Jordan Zimmermann gets the ball for the Nationals on what could be quite a momentous day for the right-hander. He's not only seeking his league-leading 13th victory, he's also likely to learn he's been named an All-Star for the first time in his career. The selection show airs at 6:30 p.m., so stay tuned for that news later on, and check back right here for game updates…
SAN DIEGO PADRES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 186
Weather: Partly cloudy, 92 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera