Jul 6, 2013, 4:42 AM EDT
They’re healthy, top to bottom, and they’re starting to score runs in bunches. It may be happening three months later than the Nationals hoped, but at least it is happening at last.
“This is way more what we thought this lineup could do coming out of spring training,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “What everybody thought we could do.”
With another early explosion Friday night, resulting in an 8-5 victory over the Padres, the Nationals continued their recent offensive upswing. They’re still prone to lay the occasional egg — witness Tuesday night’s shutout followed by Wednesday’s 1-run performance — but in the bigger picture the Nationals are producing at the plate on a more regular basis.
They’ve now scored at least eight runs in four of their last six games, all wins, and they’re at last feeling confident about their chances of sustaining this success for more than a day or two.
“It’s not too often you get a lineup like this, where seven guys struggle at the same time,” LaRoche said. “It’s almost impossible. And we found a way to do it for a month-and-a-half. We’re hoping this is breaking out of it. It seems like we’ve said that four or five times this season and fallen back into it. But the last five or six days, we’ve swung the bat really good.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig