Jul 6, 2013, 2:05 AM EST
Game in a nutshell: Who says these guys can't score runs in bunches? Four of the last six nights, they've had no trouble putting up crooked numbers on the scoreboard, capped by tonight's early explosion against the Padres. Five of the Nationals' eight runs came in the bottom of the second, with Wilson Ramos providing yet another clutch hit and Denard Span chipping in with a two-run double. The Nats tacked on another run in the third (on another Ramos RBI single) and then two more in the fourth, opening up a big lead. Gio Gonzalez took advantage of the cushion and authored another quality start before handing it over to the bullpen. Craig Stammen did surrender a three-run homer to Carlos Quentin to make this a bit more interesting than it needed to be, but Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano closed it out without incident. So the Nationals have won two in a row and find themselves two games over .500 once again. Even better: The Braves have lost three straight, so the deficit in the NL East is down to five games.
Hitting highlight: Guess Davey Johnson is going to have to stick with this lineup for at least one more night. How can he scribble out anything else after this group following up yesterday's eight-runRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher