Jul 8, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
PHILADELPHIA — Hello from Citizens Bank Park, where the suddenly red-hot Nationals arrive for a four-game series with the Phillies, kicking off a seven-game road trip in advance of the All-Star break. The Nats, of course, are riding a four-game winning streak and have won 12 of their last 18, leaving them four games over .500 for the first time since mid-May. A win tonight would get them to five games over, matching their high-water mark of the season.
We've got an interesting pitching matchup for the series opener: Dan Haren vs. old pal John Lannan. Haren is making his return from the DL, and it's anybody's guess how he'll look tonight. He will be attempting to do something kind of cool tonight: If Haren wins, he'll become only the 13th pitcher in MLB history to have beaten all 30 current franchises.
The newly acquired Scott Hairston is expected to be here and in uniform for tonight's game, though I don't expect him to be in the lineup. Don't be surprised, though, if Davey Johnson finds a way to get the veteran outfielder in there tomorrow. Hairston's career numbers against Cole Hamels: 12-for-30, five doubles, five homers, 1.521 OPS.
Updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, ESPN (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 11 mph LF to RF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win