Jul 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — Bryce Harper has accepted an invitation to compete in next week's Home Run Derby, adding another chip to his growing All-Star resume.
Harper was officially named this evening as one of the eight participants for Monday's derby in New York, accepting NL captain David Wright's invitation to compete. Harper and Wright will be joined on the NL squad by Rockies teammates Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer. The AL foursome features the Orioles' Chris Davis, the Yankees' Robinson Cano, the Tigers' Prince Fielder and one more slugger to be named.
Harper will participate in the derby on Monday, the first Nationals player ever selected for the home-run-hitting contest. He'll then start in the NL's outfield on Tuesday night, the youngest NL starter ever voted in by fans.
There was some question whether Harper would accept theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Bryce Harper leaves game with 'left glute tightness'
- Zuckerman on criticism of Nationals, Harper's MVP hopes
- Strasburg won't make scheduled start Friday
- Nats add two more relievers as Sept. call-ups
- Pressure's on Scherzer in Cards series finale
- Stock Watch: Bullpen issues haunt the Nats again
- Breaking down an inexplicable loss for the Nats
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5