Jul 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — Bryce Harper has accepted an invitation to compete in next week's Home Run Derby, adding another chip to his growing All-Star resume.
Harper was officially named this evening as one of the eight participants for Monday's derby in New York, accepting NL captain David Wright's invitation to compete. Harper and Wright will be joined on the NL squad by Rockies teammates Carlos Gonzalez and Michael Cuddyer. The AL foursome features the Orioles' Chris Davis, the Yankees' Robinson Cano, the Tigers' Prince Fielder and one more slugger to be named.
Harper will participate in the derby on Monday, the first Nationals player ever selected for the home-run-hitting contest. He'll then start in the NL's outfield on Tuesday night, the youngest NL starter ever voted in by fans.
There was some question whether Harper would accept theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase