Jul 8, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — Mike Rizzo didn’t just know he needed a veteran, right-handed outfielder for his bench, he knew Scott Hairston was the guy he wanted more than anyone else.
Rizzo acknowledged today he had some interest in signing Hairston as a free agent over the winter, then set his sights on the 33-year-old as a trade target several weeks ago. Rizzo had been in discussions with the Cubs and made a concerted effort to get the deal done before this week’s series against the Phillies.
“Scott was the main guy we were looking for,” Rizzo said. “He kind of fit the parameters that we were looking for as far as the history of doing exactly what we brought him in here to do. Being knowledgeable of the league had a lot to do with it. Knowing some of the players in the clubhouse and knowing the makeup, character and work ethic of the player put him at the top of our list.”
The Nationals sent 21-year-old right-hander Ivan Pineyro to the Cubs in exchange for Hairston. The deal, which was finalized late last night, also included a swap of players-to-be-named later, though the Nats could receive cash instead, helping cover some of the remaining $3.5 million owed to Hairston through 2014.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats acquire IF Brandon Laird from Royals
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring