Jul 9, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
PHILADELPHIA — Well, we figured Scott Hairston would find his way into the Nationals' lineup tonight, given his career numbers vs. Cole Hamels (12-for-30, five homers, 1.521 OPS). But we didn't figure he'd be stepping to the plate for the very first at-bat of the game.
Yes, Hairston will lead off tonight, a curious spot for him given his career .299 on-base percentage (.233 this season). But perhaps Davey Johnson didn't want to throw his whole lineup out of whack with Denard Span getting the night off, so it was easiest to keep everyone else in place and just put Hairston at the top. We'll see how this works out. We'll also see how Bryce Harper does in center field, the first time he's started out there this season.
Taylor Jordan, meanwhile, makes his third career start, hoping to take another positive step forward. With Ross Detwiler now on the DL, the rookie right-hander knows he'll get at least one more start (Sunday in Miami), so he shouldn't feel the pressure to have to perform tonight. Maybe that will allow him to relax and just do his thing.
Updates to come, please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 86 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to RF
LF Scott Hairston
SS Ian Desmond
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1