Jul 9, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
PHILADELPHIA — Well, we figured Scott Hairston would find his way into the Nationals' lineup tonight, given his career numbers vs. Cole Hamels (12-for-30, five homers, 1.521 OPS). But we didn't figure he'd be stepping to the plate for the very first at-bat of the game.
Yes, Hairston will lead off tonight, a curious spot for him given his career .299 on-base percentage (.233 this season). But perhaps Davey Johnson didn't want to throw his whole lineup out of whack with Denard Span getting the night off, so it was easiest to keep everyone else in place and just put Hairston at the top. We'll see how this works out. We'll also see how Bryce Harper does in center field, the first time he's started out there this season.
Taylor Jordan, meanwhile, makes his third career start, hoping to take another positive step forward. With Ross Detwiler now on the DL, the rookie right-hander knows he'll get at least one more start (Sunday in Miami), so he shouldn't feel the pressure to have to perform tonight. Maybe that will allow him to relax and just do his thing.
Updates to come, please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 183
Weather: Chance of storms, 86 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to RF
LF Scott Hairston
SS Ian Desmond
CF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign Tony Gwynn Jr. to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery