Instant analysis: Phillies 3, Nats 2

Jul 9, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Game in a nutshell: The Nationals came to town flying high on a four-game winning streak and feeling confident they had turned a corner. How quickly that feeling can disappear. The same lineup that slugged out 56 runs over its previous eight games was shut out by old friend John Lannan, producing all of four singles against the Phillies left-hander. Dan Haren, making his return from the DL, struggled mightily in the first inning, allowing two runs, but managed to settle down enough after that to keep the Phillies from scoring again before he departed after the fifth. Fernando Abad gave up an insurance run in the sixth, and that did prove costly by night's end because the Nationals put up a fight in the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon, scoring twice on sacrifice flies. But they couldn't produce the game-winning run, and thus dropped the opener of this four-game series in frustrating fashion.

Hitting lowlight: After a week's worth of (mostly) impressive offensive performances, there was every reason to believe the Nationals would keep it going tonight. Except for one smallRead more ยป

1. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Werth was a few feet away from tying it. We showed fight. All you can ask. The offense isn't gonna be there every night and we struggle against Lannan-type pitchers. I'm not going to write off two weeks of better offensive production because of one game. Let's go Fish.

2. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

In a normal year, Taylor Jordan v. Cole Hamels would be a classic Speigner Lock, but this year … ?

3. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Thank you for not telling us that Haren pitched a great game.

4. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Bottom of the 10th in Miami.

5. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

6. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I told Big cat via text that The Abad inning was going to be costly and was.Dave and Charlie were given the Buffalo same hell I did (was in car when he missed the pop up). Said first inning problem became bid due to the bad throw.Eck didnt have these guys prepare for left handed junk. As Ray Knight said no one adjusted. I complained about it.Soon as fast ball guy is in we scored

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Liked that we tried to fight back.. Really thought Werth had it there… But tip of the cap to Lannan for a good game…Lets get them tomorrow…

8. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Haren did get the loss, while I thought it would have been Abad….

9. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Would've liked to have won it, but this one doesn't frustrate me too much. Haren, with no re-hab start, did better then any of us expected.

10. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Deffinately mattered.Dave and charlie said severalvkey plays early cost us and the high pitched double by revere was one as was the steal of third.

11. Amr Khani - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Thank you David. Considering the Abad run was the game winner, I'd argue it mattered. Guessing Mark had one thing written assuming a scoreless ninth and didn't edit it all the way before posting.

12. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM

We had some horrible plate approaches tonight… And we didnt really see any adjustments…As soon as Abad got that run in the 6th, I said that was gonna hurt…But I'm not swayed becuz we lost tonight… We'll get them tomorrow…No more losing series… I'm sticking with 7-3 before the AS break…

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Hit in the wrong direction for a homer.

14. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

The thing is, half of you keep saying how terrible Lannan is, but then praise Haren for only having 10 runners in 5 innings. The ball did not seem to be going very far tonight. These were prime conditions for Haren and he still might have gotten it done if he makes the ground ball play but he basically didn't while making sure no one else could either.

15. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said…Haren did get the loss, while I thought it would have been Abad….—///–Why would you think that?

16. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I hope it ends up the difference so absolutely mattered.

17. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Knight is strongly suggesting that Olmy should be the fifth starter: "He looks like a starter to me."

18. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Miami doing nothing. What has happened to Stanton?

19. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Because we scored 2 runs.

20. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

21. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Yeah, I'm with Mrs. B. This one hurt. Maybe it was because Haren (again) got us behind early. Have we ever led a game in which he's pitched since May 1? Forget the two runs in the ninth. It's still a lose. Now we're counting on the Marlins to keep us four back.I hate putting our faith in the hands of the incompetent.This one was there for the taking. Our at-bats vs. LannEn were pathetic. I'm a Span Fan, but rolling over on four grounders to second is pathethic.

22. Secret wasian man - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Headline on espn MLB has a picture of Lannan and the caption reads, " Vengeance is mine". Hahaha. Take that Rizzo.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Great fight in the 9th by the Nats but where was that in the earlier innings.

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

No scorers reason. Haren gave up first run we never tied easy call for official scorer.

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM

It seems we can hit those junk ball pitchers….

26. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Knightly Knotes–that is pretty clever!

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Lannan is hittable, we just cant hit him. Other teams dont have privlems (except braves) Which is one of the reasons Rizzo needed John but just never seemed to like him although Davey did.I said it when Detwiler was made the 5th starter out of Spring Training in 2012 after Davey proclaimed Lannan was his guy that there was a divide between Davey and Rizzo on Lannan.

28. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

MNF, I agree that the run that Abad gave up ended up being the difference in the game, but I think what was being implied was that it didn't matter as to Haren getting the loss.

29. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I am not defending Haren, but I think giving up that 3rd rule by Abad was highly significant. There is a huge difference in coming back from 3 runs versus 2 but then again we know that basically every official baseball stat regarding pitchers is garbage except for hits, walks, balls, strikes, etc. Wins, losses, saves—that stuff is basically garbage.

30. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Wow, Pirates lost and Cardinals move back into 1st place.

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM

So does Hairston play tomorrow???

32. 250a22d8-cf95-11e2-87c8-000bcdcb8a73 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

MrsB, I would say Hairston plays tomorrow.

34. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Enunciate….

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM

250a22d8-cf95-11e2-87c8-000bcdcb8a73 said… ESPN Baseball Tonight cast ripped into Eckstein and basically said he should be fired. I agree wholeheartedly. Come on. Where's the video on that one?

36. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

The fire the hitting coach people are back.

37. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Bull….

38. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Great, Kimbrel is in in the 11th….

39. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM

The deciding run is not how it has been decided. Had it been 2-2 then Abad would get the loss.

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Made all the difference.

41. Section 222 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Knight gives a much better explanation than FP of why Bryce slowed down on his attempted steal. Makes sense. Hopefully he learned a lesson.I never watch the four letter network, but I'd love to hear their rationale on Eckstein. How many runs did we score this past week?

42. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Elementary, my dear Watson. Set 'em straight, Manassas.

43. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Mrs. B, yes, Hairston plays. For Harper in left. Davey plays his matchups.(Although after tonight's effort, I'd be tempted to sit Span down and move Harp to center. But Davey's a bigger Span Fan than even me.)

44. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I couldn't care less where Dwight Howard lands….

45. Section 222 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Freddie bucking conventional wisdom, going with Kimbrell without a save situation. I love it. Oh no, who comes in for the save if the Braves score?

46. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM

ESPN probably has no idea how many runs we scored this past week. No matter what the topic is, they develop a narrative and stick with it. They were talking about the Strasburg shutdown, for God's sake.

47. John C. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Stop it with the "Abad deserved the loss because he gave up the third run" talk. That's garbage because we will never know how the 9th would have played out. I doubt that Papelbon approaches Zim the same way if Zim can tie the game. And in baseball even the smallest of differences can completely change the results. You can't assume it all plays out the exact same way. Well, you can, I suppose. But it's just silly.

48. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I still watched MASN instead of ESPN by using Slingbox on my buddy's account in DC.

49. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Braves have scored 1 run in 12 innings against the Marlins today so far…

50. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Mike Dunn.

51. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I never left wanted Eck gone going on 3 full years.Ray Knight exactly what we do in not hitting games. We do not go with the pitch enough. Outer part of plate go other way, inner side pull, middle hit up the middle.We pulled a lot outside pitches. Span was real bad about that. Three pitches in outer half all pulked to second one inside all pulled to second (that needs to bedriven to right) but pulling that one not bad.My problem. Despite all the pulling of outside pitches. No evidence that Eck is reminding the players not to pull that.It could be happening, but see no evidence it is happening.Its things like I complain about Eck.Series against Padre we hit more where it was pitched. So no coaching adjustment needed.

52. karlkolchak - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM

"Fun" fact: the last time John Lannan pitched at least eight full innings was on 8/28/09 in a 3-2 loss to the Cardinals. No way to sugarcoat it, that was another pathetic offensive performance.

53. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM

It is really silly as the rules never allowed for that before.

54. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Span keeps going back and forth between going with the pitch and trying to pull. He seems far better when he goes with the pitch but who knows why he keeps going back to pulling. He seems to hit the ball better to the 3rd base side….

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

For anyone that yearns for hometown television, all you need is a good friend that will place a Slingbox on their TV and you watch TV anywhere you want with all the DC broadcasting.http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox?displayVideo=true

56. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Kimbrel is out. Boy, guys today are such wimps that they can only pitch 1 inning. Do you know how many innings Spahn and Marichal and that group threw?It sort of disgusts me that these pitch count fanatics have captured baseball.

57. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM

If we sre complain about official scoring. Getting a save after giving up 2 runs has always been one I hate.

58. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Ian Desmond sums up this game: "I feel like I just beat my head against a wall for three hours."Lol

59. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM

We lost, who cares which pitcher gets the loss. We did not gain ground on the Braves nor the Reds, we lost. Being an ex-coach, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a "good loss". We lost. Tomorrow is another day. They are pitching a veteran who is having a very difficult year. We are pitching a guy who 3 weeks ago was starting in AA. Phillies are in the drivers seat at home. This was the game we needed to win. I hate losing!!Go Nats!

60. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Two questions, because I was listening on the radio.(1) DId Tracy swing at ball 3–why couldn't he look for a walk with Ramos behind him?(2) Do we have a lefty-batting practice pitcher? Some clubs do.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM

On to the 13th in Miami

62. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Reread the article above and it clearly says Abad's run didn't mattet. That sentence just needed to be deleted as it was the insurance run.But again I mistype a lot so I can't complain to much.

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM

NatsLady, it was a pitchers pitch in the bottom of the zone that was a strike but a pitch Tracy should have taken.http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/numlocation.php-pitchSel=449097&game=gid_2013_07_08_wasmlb_phimlb_1&batterX=71&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

64. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:35 AM

The pitch might have been high, but generally this ump was giving the high strike.That is a great question about a lefty batting practice pitcher.

65. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Uh oh. Mike Dunn out again for the 13th in Miami. Maybe he can make up for that huge gopher ball to Chipper, I think it was, last September. Huge for us, anyway….

66. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I couldnt remember, but did remember it was a probable strike.Thanks for fixing it for me.

67. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Still upset about this loss. I am looking at one positive. Our bullpen should be ready tomorrow. Storen, Clip, Soriano, Kroll all should be ready to go.

68. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Mike Dunn came to Miami in the Uggla trade.

69. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Announcer said it after I typed it

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM

As in a majority of our losses most of the problem falls on hitters not pitchers.When ee hit we almost always win.

71. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Certain positives to me(1) Ohlendorf pitched well.(2) Clip, Storen and Soriano rested. Krol is VERY rested. There is plenty of backup for the baby pitcher.(3) I doubt Papelbon will be available tomorrow, or if he is, then he's shown we can "get" to him. He has pitched 3 of the last 4 games (7/8, 7/7, 7/5). Need to get to Colbert early on, get him outta there. I think of this as Haren's "rehab" game. Definitely not great but he didn't put the Nats in a deep hole. You have to congratulate Lannan on an excellent game. Is Ramos rusty, that seems very possible.

72. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:42 AM

No hits by either team since 6th in Miami

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

On to bottom 13

74. Mark Zuckerman - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

David Proctor said…"Fernando Abad gave up an insurance run in the sixth, but that didn't matter."How did it not matter? The game is tied at 2-2 if not for the insurance run.You are correct. That's unfortunately a case of me writing the Instant Analysis as the game is still going on, preparing in the ninth inning for what looked like it was going to be a 3-0 final. I tweaked a couple of things after the Nats scored the two runs, but I forgot to update that line about Abad. Obviously, the run he allowed proved very costly.

75. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I didn't listen to ESPN as I can't stand national announcers rehashing the same old "narratives." I heard snatches of the first three innings on MASN but then had students. I guess Davey decided to take his five innings from Haren and not push it. I didn't hear how Abad gave up the run, but on my way home I heard Ramos missing the foul ball.

76. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Is Ramos rusty, that seems very possible.No, he's just a horse-bleep receiver.

77. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Mark: you didn't need to answer on here but it is just another reason we come here first. I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to do all the stuff you have to do to keep this blog running, a TV show, the radio appearances etc. Then again, a couple years ago we were all chipping in to help. You have come a long way and I for one appreciate you.

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Not a highlight night by Ramos but as I predicted after all the accolades he got over the weekend, I knew the hatred would come out soon enough.

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Stanton on 2nd with no outs.

80. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Fish have winning run on second, none out. C'mon, you worthless bums.

81. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Miami has 2 on and no outs in 13th….

82. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Ramos is what he is. He calls a good game, he can hit, but he's not particularly good defensively outside of calling the game. Still a very high ceiling.

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I figured you meant to delete that sentence an leave the insurance run sentence.

84. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Double play ball. Unbelievable

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Doubleplay ball. Now 2 outs and Stanton on 3rd. Morrison was 1st pitch swinging. Unreal. Pitcher was just struggling after a 3-2 HBP on the batter before Morrison.

86. Doc - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM

1.5 years later catchers' coach Knorr still hasn't instructed Ramos on turning around and catching a pop foul twisting toward the infield!All pop fouls behind the plate act the same way.It's like Catching School 101! C'mon Randy get with the program!

87. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Inning over.

88. PChuck - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

The fans and Ray Knight wonder about the lack of adjustments this team makes, why doesn't someone ask Davey about this? And don't dance around and sugarcoat it. Directly ask why, when the offense is having trouble with a pitcher, are no in-game adjustments made and isn't that his responsibility to direct Eckstein to direct the players to adjust and how to adjust?

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Double play instead of sac bunt. Now n to the 14th.Most managers are clueless how to manage small ball.

90. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Fish choke.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

It could be his working on adjusting, but I never see him coaching.I consider the hitting coach like an offensive coirdinator, and kike to see if talking to the players.

92. Section 222 - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Sunshine, didn't you get the memo? Ramos is immune from criticism. Why, I'm not exactly sure.

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

They played for multiple runs not one. Too many coaches do this through the majors.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I then I take the comment about cosing an out and run in the first

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Who is responible for pitchers holding runners

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:00 AM

New pitcher comes in ad walks first batter. A sin for a reliever

97. paul brandt - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

sjm, I disagree on "…there is no such thing as a good loss." Yes, a loss is a loss but would you have preferred Haren give up 4 HR's and lose 9-2 or pitch a pretty decent game after the 1st inning and leave down 2-0? with any offensive help in the early innings, this is a much, much different blog/comments…silver lining, perhaps but trying to see the positives in a tough loss…go get em tomorrow.

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hy is runner on second should be on first

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Runner back on first.

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Hatcher miami pitcher pitching way too many balls.

101. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Miami pitcher walking everyone

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM

2 walks now. Who does he think he is Soriano?

103. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Both walks score

104. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Braves will win. Fish can't do anything right.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Game over most likely in Miami as Braves score 2.

106. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Justin Upton. Dang it.

107. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Chris Hatcher walks two and then gives up a double. The Braves obviously can't hit either but at least they have no Haren as an automatic loss every five days.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I see why he walks peopleas strikes are right over the middle.Redmond didnt plat to win by 1 in 13 he played for tge big inning and that back fired.

109. Joe Seamhead - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Fish had gone through about everybody they had to throw the ball.

110. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Did any of you see this promotion the Marlins are running?http://i.imgur.com/tBO4eIR.pngThe best part is that Gio isn't even pitching in that series.

111. paul brandt - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM

how silly of us to rely on the fish to help us.

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Braves when Medlin has pitched yhis year just about as bad as Haren.

113. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Christ Hatcher is really when you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Miami doesn't even have any players that know how to bunt apparently, but MLB just lets them be as terrible as they can. Even Stanton is bad this year.

114. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Dobbs looked terrible there.

115. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I root for opponents of braves every game. This is not new.

116. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

David==>that is bizarre. They must be pretty desperate to get butts in seats.

117. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Hatcher ready to give up a big inning. Funny how the Braves have tons of guys on their bench who can hit but not many in their line-up. Thanks to Haren for blowing a four game streak and putting us back five again. You have been a horrible, horrible acquisition, Mr. Haren. I hope you know that. I am sure that the $13 million helps assuage the pain though….

118. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Truth is, we can't worry about the Braves. If the Nats continue to win series, they'll be where they want to be. The difference between 4 and 5 games at this point in the season isn't much. Of course, I still root against the Braves. But eh.

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Chris Hatcher up to 32 pitches this inning. Way to pitch, dude!

120. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM

The double switch kilked Fish. Hatcher gives up 2. ThenDobbs misplayed a ball at first giving Braves extra out for 2 more runs.Did that bat for Dunn?

121. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Paul Brandt – I will never agree with you on a loss being good – I am realistic enough to know that you can't win every game. I knew when we swam UNC that there was little chance of a win but I still prepared my team to win. Losing sucks, winning is fun. I can't accept any loss as a good loss. I could care less if he gave up 9 runs or 1 run. At the end of the season, we will need every win possible and this was not one of them.

122. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Back to the minors for Chris Hatcher, but hopefully after he pitches against us.

123. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Boy, when the Marlins decide to lose, they REALLY decide to lose.

124. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Come on, Braves, hit a homer against Hatcher. Blow his E.R.A. all the way to hell….

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Now 2 more.How can you play fine for 13 abd totally suck the 14th inning. Started by doublr switch (well actually not bunting in 13th is where it started)

126. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I think David Proctor is correct. I am positive that the Nationals do not look at the scoreboard this early in the season. They might look with two weeks left if we are still 5 games out but right now, they just have to do what is necessary to win and they did not get it done tonight. Tomorrow is another day.Go Nats

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM

67.50 ERA

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Chris Hatcher gets the Dan Haren blow-up award, with a whip of 10.50 and an E.R.A. of 67.5.

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM

I look every day from April 1 and cheer appropriately every day.

130. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM

David, have to agree. We can only tend to our own business. I'm not sure why they didn't try to run up Lannan's pitch count, starting in about the 5th inning, when you could see he was cruising and you needed to get him either (a) tired or (b) out of there. You weren't getting hits–why not try another approach, wear him down?

131. sjm308 - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

132. NatsLady - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM

This Alex Wood looks like he's about sixteen.

133. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

4 hits, 3 walks and 2 errors by the Marlins in the inning. That is pathetic. That pitcher has no business even being suited up based on his stats.

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Every game you lose before the last 2 weeks of the season cannot be made up ever. That is why I look at every day indepently. You don't know how loses you can afford, so you must limit a loss every chance you can.

135. paul brandt - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM

sjm, only meant some are better than others, that's all…they all suck, that i agree.

136. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM

The 2 errors were way after tge initial damage.

137. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM

We just can't hit soft tossers. Even last year, we'd seriously struggle against those guys when the rest of the league knocked them around. Inexplicable.Carlos Gomez just robbed Joey Votto of a likely game winning home run.

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Carlos Gomez who fields better than Spa.

139. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Carlos Gomez is the best CF in the league imo. The defense, the offense, the baserunning. It's all there.

140. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Chris Hatcher and Dan Haren ought to have dinner this week….

141. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM

We can thank Ricky Nolasco for Atlanta's gaining a game tonight. They brought up Chris Hatcher to take Nolasco's spot. Of course, Hatcher is probably the kind of pitcher who would shut us down.

142. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Aww come on WODL, even WE could hit Hatcher. He's a hard thrower.

143. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Chris Hatcher on his new approach:http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130706/ARTICLES/130709728

144. m - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I was hoping Span had turned the corner. I assumed he would continue to go with the pitch given his recent success. I thought he had given up pulling everything. I have seen Revere and Span play head to head and in each game Revere has outplayed Span. I would take revere over Span in a heartbeat,poor routes and all.I am fed up with this clown. He is nothing more than a minor leaguer when it comes to hitting. Someone should talk to him about his plan at the plate. Here is a suggestion Mr. Span – ball in – pull; ball middle – up the middle; ball outside – go opposite field. If you can't follow these directions – ride the bench.

145. paul brandt - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:50 AM

sjm308 said…Paul Brandt – I will also tell you that it was much easier to teach/coach after a win then a loss. You have a hard time with constructive criticism when they are already down. Those "teaching moments" strike home a lot quicker when you are on a high then on a low.July 08, 2013 11:22 PMsjm, excellent point…but I also think it depends on the sport & the age group. I found some of my best teaching/coaching moments were when we lost…provide constructive criticism (briefly), solicit a response from the kids on what they saw/felt and then work on it the next practice.

146. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Not just Span all batters that should be the message every day. Reminded every inning.I see Eck talk to none. Once in a while he talks to some who did right. He needs to talk to those not doing. Not the ones doing.

147. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Why cant we coach during a game. Why wait until it is over?

148. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Giants outfielders have been terrible since I started watching.Not sure I have seen a worse fielding game this year. Hunter Pence has had none hit his way.

149. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Yawn. I see we're back to Span.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Pablo Sandival tried pulling a way outside pitch. Simple pop up.In general I believer hitters approach now is so much poorer than 25 years ago. I call it tge ESPN effects. Single to the opposite field don't make it on to Sports Center highlights.Batting coaches are not good enough to convine batters to do what is more productive to tge teamZim and Harper botg get it as they have as many hits tge way than pulled. That why they hit tonight tgey went with tge pitch. Most the othets didn't.

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Who is, i mentioned him an hour and half ago, hadn't seen any since

152. m - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Mr. Proctor:Why don't you tell us the topics we can comment on.

153. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2013 at 4:36 AM

You can comment on any topic you like. I personally think discussing Span for the 1 TRILLIONTH time this week is tiring. But discuss whatever you'd like, I'm just another poster here.

154. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Missed the middle innings but…dang, John. Congrats, or something. Was hoping the Nats could give Pap another blown save but 'twas not to be. Let's see what tonight brings.