Jul 9, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals came to town flying high on a four-game winning streak and feeling confident they had turned a corner. How quickly that feeling can disappear. The same lineup that slugged out 56 runs over its previous eight games was shut out by old friend John Lannan, producing all of four singles against the Phillies left-hander. Dan Haren, making his return from the DL, struggled mightily in the first inning, allowing two runs, but managed to settle down enough after that to keep the Phillies from scoring again before he departed after the fifth. Fernando Abad gave up an insurance run in the sixth, and that did prove costly by night's end because the Nationals put up a fight in the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon, scoring twice on sacrifice flies. But they couldn't produce the game-winning run, and thus dropped the opener of this four-game series in frustrating fashion.
Hitting lowlight: After a week's worth of (mostly) impressive offensive performances, there was every reason to believe the Nationals would keep it going tonight. Except for one smallRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season