Jul 9, 2013, 1:48 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: The Nationals came to town flying high on a four-game winning streak and feeling confident they had turned a corner. How quickly that feeling can disappear. The same lineup that slugged out 56 runs over its previous eight games was shut out by old friend John Lannan, producing all of four singles against the Phillies left-hander. Dan Haren, making his return from the DL, struggled mightily in the first inning, allowing two runs, but managed to settle down enough after that to keep the Phillies from scoring again before he departed after the fifth. Fernando Abad gave up an insurance run in the sixth, and that did prove costly by night's end because the Nationals put up a fight in the ninth against Jonathan Papelbon, scoring twice on sacrifice flies. But they couldn't produce the game-winning run, and thus dropped the opener of this four-game series in frustrating fashion.
Hitting lowlight: After a week's worth of (mostly) impressive offensive performances, there was every reason to believe the Nationals would keep it going tonight. Except for one smallRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?