Jul 9, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — With Denard Span struggling to hit left-handed pitching, Nationals manager Davey Johnson decided to bench his starting center fielder tonight against the Phillies’ Cole Hamels, plugging the newly acquired Scott Hairston into Span’s standard leadoff spot.
Span is putting up strong numbers against right-handers (.305 batting average, .355 on-base percentage) this season, but those numbers plummet when he faces lefties (.154, .222).
Johnson doesn’t necessarily intend to turn the Span/Hairston combo into a true righty/lefty platoon, but he believes the mere thought of the two sharing time could play to his advantage.
“I think [Span] will come out of it, but also I think it will send a message around the league that I will use Hairston in his spot,” Johnson said. “It also causes some problems for the other managers. When they go to their bullpen in a lefty situation, I might use Hairston. That prevents them from doing that and enables Spanny to hit. So it just opens up more options and creates matchup problems for the other managers.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue