Jul 10, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
PHILADELPHIA — Though he knows the Nationals haven't gotten the kind of performance he's hoped from the back end of his rotation, manager Davey Johnson said today he doesn't expect the club to pursue pitching help before this month's trade deadline.
Johnson cited the pipeline of young pitching that should arrive in the big leagues by next season as reason not to acquire another starter now.
"One of our areas that we have very little depth in, obviously, is starting pitching," he said. "But after this year and early into next year, some of our young starters should be knocking at the door here. As far as making a move and picking up somebody, a lease just for the short-term, I don't think that's in our plans because I think we have enough talent here and enough coming that we wouldn't do that."
Johnson believes the return of a healthy Ross Detwiler after the All-Star break, and continued improvement from Dan Haren will give the Nationals five starters that can withstand a pennant race.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown