Jul 10, 2013, 4:09 AM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — They were tearing the cover off the ball, getting production from up and down their lineup and finally putting to rest any doubt about their ability to score enough runs to win games on a regular basis.
And then they arrived at Citizens Bank Park this week, and now the Nationals seem to be right back where they started.
Back-to-back losses to the Phillies, including Tuesday night’s 4-2 defeat, have pretty much killed whatever positive momentum the Nationals had developed during a four-game winning streak. More troubling is the feast-or-famine nature of their offensive output.
Behold the Nationals’ run totals for each of the last 10 days: 13, 10, 0, 1, 8, 8, 5, 11, 2, 2. Officially, they’ve averaged six runs per game during this stretch, but that’s an awfully misleading stat.
“We’ll get into a game and we’ll be in the sixth, seventh inning with two or three hits,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “Where the night before we had 15 hits. I can’t explain it. It’s one of those things you try to go out and get 15 hits before you get the first one. And nothing good happens.”
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Stock Watch: Rotation is sizzling heading into October
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll