Jul 10, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
PHILADELPHIA — The Nationals have lost two straight and have once again fallen into an offensive abyss. The good news: They're sending Gio Gonzalez to the mound tonight and their two other aces to the mound the next two nights, so there's still hope.
As detailed earlier this morning, the Nationals are something of an unstoppable force when either Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann or Stephen Strasburg is on the mound (playing at a 101-win pace). So Gio's presence on the mound tonight can only be considered a good thing.
On the other hand, Cliff Lee starts for the Phillies, and that's not a good matchup for the Nationals, who have struggled to hit lefties (MLB-worst .215 batting average) and have struggled to hit control artists like Lee, who has built an entire reputation on throwing strikes and getting quick outs.
So, something's got to give tonight. We'll see what does. Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership