Jul 10, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
PHILADELPHIA — The Nationals have lost two straight and have once again fallen into an offensive abyss. The good news: They're sending Gio Gonzalez to the mound tonight and their two other aces to the mound the next two nights, so there's still hope.
As detailed earlier this morning, the Nationals are something of an unstoppable force when either Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann or Stephen Strasburg is on the mound (playing at a 101-win pace). So Gio's presence on the mound tonight can only be considered a good thing.
On the other hand, Cliff Lee starts for the Phillies, and that's not a good matchup for the Nationals, who have struggled to hit lefties (MLB-worst .215 batting average) and have struggled to hit control artists like Lee, who has built an entire reputation on throwing strikes and getting quick outs.
So, something's got to give tonight. We'll see what does. Updates to come…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win