Game 91: Nats at Phillies

Jul 10, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

PHILADELPHIA — The Nationals have lost two straight and have once again fallen into an offensive abyss. The good news: They're sending Gio Gonzalez to the mound tonight and their two other aces to the mound the next two nights, so there's still hope.

As detailed earlier this morning, the Nationals are something of an unstoppable force when either Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann or Stephen Strasburg is on the mound (playing at a 101-win pace). So Gio's presence on the mound tonight can only be considered a good thing.

On the other hand, Cliff Lee starts for the Phillies, and that's not a good matchup for the Nationals, who have struggled to hit lefties (MLB-worst .215 batting average) and have struggled to hit control artists like Lee, who has built an entire reputation on throwing strikes and getting quick outs.

So, something's got to give tonight. We'll see what does. Updates to come…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 82 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to RF

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM

2. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Nats win 1-0.

3. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Nats – 6Phillys – 3GYFNG!See yall game time…

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That Jacob Turner trade is looking good for the Marlins. Deficit at 5.5.

5. Section 222 - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM

For a second I thought you meant that the Marlins were now 5.5 back!

6. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Ghost — Off topic, but per our exchange during College World Series — Hunter Renfroe finally signed with San Diego and has been assigned to the Eugene Ems. I'll see him, I expect, on Friday evening.

7. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM

And we can all be glad Chad Gaudin is no longer a Nat.

8. Doc - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Davey is forgetting his sabermetrics again!Den Span doesn't hit lefties–Scott does, and did last night.C'mon Davey, get a grip!!!!!Eat Lee's face guys and stomp on the Philthies!!!!!!!!

9. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Span is 7/24 against Lee in his career. Hairston is 6/28 against him. This will probably be a close game so all things being equal, Davey wants his best defense out there. Makes sense to me.

10. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Adam LaRoche has hit .303/.388/.514 since May 1.

11. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Matt Cain only lasted 2/3 of an inning. If the Mets win this game, they'll sweep the Giants, who have lost 32 of their last 47.

12. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I thought Mike Rizzo was clear, but others Hairston was brought to be a bench player and if the numbers dictate he would start a few games. Ge was not brought in to platoon with Span.Matt Cain already pulled in the first. Giants pitching has not lived close to its potentional.

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Davis as disappointed as we are with runs scored, Giants fans are disappointed in their pitching.

14. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Why are we glad Chad Gaudin isn't a Nat? Isn't he pitching well? 2.44 ERA? Did I miss something?

15. natsfan1a - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Also, pitch well and don't throw or kick the ball around. And score more than the other team. That should do it. kthxbai.Eugene in Oregon said… Braves lose. Nats need to win. For that to happen, they need to hit. And score. And score a little more. GYFNG! July 10, 2013 3:41 PM

16. James Joyce - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I wish Davey would throw his best lineup out there too. Harper should not be hitting 3rd, he's the slugger and Zim is the pure hitter, and Lee is a very tough lefty. Desi has no place hitting 2 either, despite his recent success. Span, Rendon, Zim, Harper, Werth, ALR, Desi, Suzuki (who hits Leee well) is what they should be throwing out there tonight.

17. do1teach1 - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I got this email from the team:Nationals SS Ian Desmond and Yankees P David Robertson have teamed up for the 2013 All-Star Game Final Vote and need your support. Visit mlb.com/vote to cast your vote for the deserving duo, or text N1 and A3 to 89269 to vote for Desmond and Robertson, respectively. Unlimited voting ends July 11 at 4 p.m. ET. (End of copy/paste from email.)This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life. Vote "Desi and D-Rob." Who in the hell is David Robertson and why do I care if this random pedestrian goes to an exhibition game?Also, since they've told me he's a really great pitcher who ought to go to the All Star game for the American League, does it make any sense for me to vote for him–knowing that if he does well and wins or saves the game for the AL, it could cost the Nationals home-field advantage in the World Series?Just absolute, epidemic, circular, mindless stupidity.

18. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Read on twitter so take it with that in mind. Ron Harper will pitch to Bryce.

19. James Joyce - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Chad has been accused of drunkenly groping ladies in emergency rooms, I think.

20. JD - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

NatsLady, He really has pitched well although ERA for relievers means bupkes.It doesn't tell you about inherited runners stranded, messes you create which are cleaned up by someone else etc. Another 2 reasons ERA is such a flawed stat are: 1) Not all pitchers have the same defenses behind them. 2) Not all pitchers play in the same ball parks causing different environments not to mention dimensions.

21. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Giant fans have thrown in the white flag and now are supprting Freeman as an anti Puig vote.

22. JD - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

'Harper should not be hitting 3rd, he's the slugger and Zim is the pure hitter'. So what?

23. TimDz - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

do1teach1….Atlanta fans and Toronto fans are doing the same thing (getting fans from both teams to vote for both the Atlanta rep- Freddie Freeman and the Toronto rep- I have NO idea who it is….Oddly enough, BOTH are leading in their respective leagues…

24. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Last year down the stretch we led off Werth so how would this workWerthHarperZimLaRocheDesmondRendonBuffaloSpan

25. skidge - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM

On Chad Gaudin:http://t.co/ehKNyayjcV

26. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I didn't know about Gaudin's personal issues… I saw him pitch the other night and he pitched well, which startled me, because I'm just not used to thinking of Gaudin as a good pitcher. BTW he is no longer a reliever, he is in the Giant's rotation, such as it is.

27. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Well, that is certainly bizarre behavior. OK, I'm officially glad he's not a Nat…(Gaudin, that is).

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Read on twitter so take it with that in mind. Ron Harper will pitch to Bryce.So much for secrets getting out Rizzo! Bryce's dad Ron will start training tomorrow for the HR Derby by throwing BP over at Hagerstown.

29. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

30. paul brandt - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Harper should use Dan Haren as his HR derby pitcher…would be pretty funny.

31. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

paul brandt said… Harper should use Dan Haren as his HR derby pitcher…would be pretty funny.That is roll over funny! I wish it was a player from another team we were laughing about.

32. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

baseballswami said… I kind of thought he should watch and just be a Dad. Who pitches BP for the Nats? Cano had his Dad pitch to him and it turned out to be a great story.I think it was FP who suggested this after hearing Bryce was going to be in the HR Derby.

33. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM

34. A DC Wonk - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM

paul brandt said… Harper should use Dan Haren as his HR derby pitcher…would be pretty funny.Count me in the LOL group on that one, too.

35. nats guy - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I don't care about Gaudins issues either. Hell Ian Krol had one which is the reason we acquired him so cheaply.

36. A DC Wonk - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

baseballswami said… But Cano's Dad is a professional baseball player and coach. Ron Harper is a stud, but I don't know about this.Hey — what the heck — the Kid is only 20. (And I suspect he'll be back for future HR competitions). If he has a good relationship with his dad, what a great and fun bonding experience!

37. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Definitely the post of the day– or week?! And not a bad idea.

38. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Actually rhat would be funny

39. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko nowChristian Garcia suffered a hamstring injury, Davey says. Will miss his next scheduled appearance at Triple-A. Can't seem to stay healthy.I feel for the guy, but he's damaged goods. Relying on him for anything would be foolish.

40. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

He pitched to him a lit through school so I have been told.

41. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Sorry, I think there is a difference between using a gay slur in a tweet (not that I approve) and what Gaudin is accused of (not that he is convicted, however). Plus, Gaudin is not a kid, he is thirty and a married man. No one knows why he was in that hospital in the first place.

42. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Hmmmm–I dunno, a hamstring injury and he is only missing one start? They have a 7-day DL in the minors… Is he going on it?Sounds more like they haven't decided yet who would go down if he comes up. His thirty days of rehab must be over. Not that I'm suspicious or anything…It's just very coincidental…

43. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

44. JD - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM

NL, I think you nailed it. The obvious 1st choice I think is Ross O. but at the same time Garcia has been pitching 1 inning at a time and they need someone to eat innings especially with our current 4 & 5 situation. I think they would like Stammen to be the long guy but he has put a kibosh on these plans. Also when Matheus returns I think one of the lefties goes back and I think Krol has been better and has more upside than Abad. Of course there is always the possibility of a trade.

45. JD - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

NL, The hole is not deep but as the days roll forward the deficit becomes more significant. If the Braves would have played even a bit better they could have put us away by now. They have the White Sox and the Mets after the break and we have the hot Dodgers and Pittsburgh. We have to find a way to cut into the deficit at least back to where we were a couple of days ago.

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

NatsLady said… On May 31 the Giants were 29-24 and 1 game out in the NL West. They are now 40-49 and about to be 40-50. That's the kind of losing the Nats have NOT done–> no matter how much we complain about nibbling around .500.The hole is not deep. We saw over the last week how quickly a few games in the standings can be made up. July 10, 2013 5:31 PM I'm loving it since I predicted here 2 weeks ago that I thought the Dodgers would take the NL West with 86 wins.At the time I figured the Giants or DBacks for 2nd place.The Giants pitching has now fallen apart. Things are so bad the Cubs now have a better record!

47. NatsLady - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM

JD, absolutely. I said a few days ago Davey has to get out of "teaching mode." He should have lifted Jordan after five, he was tired, leaving pitches up and they were getting hits. Sorry the kid would not have gotten the win, but better a no-decision than a loss.

48. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM

The fact that the Giants are tanking is only relevant if you happen to know they are going to come back and win. Otherwise, they're just another team that's tanking, in their old classic June Swoon.

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM

50. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

We kid because we care.

51. SCNatsFan - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It just feels like a must win game… So lets win.

52. karlkolchak - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

We got Krol cheap because prior to this year he hadn't been anything special on the field. The light went on for him this year–simple as that. Hopefully, he learned from his mistake.

53. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM

That must have taken some doing:Gaudin charged with lewdness in Las Vegas

54. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

The Gaudin incident happened in January; he is only just now being charged.

55. JD - Jul 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Karlkolchak, Krol is 22 years old is a lefty, he throws gas and has good control. Sorry, we don't get him if he didn't have bad press for his gay slur.

56. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM

JD, that may be, I don't know, but FWIW, my "sources" in the Bay Area tell me he apologized, and it was pretty much forgotten locally.Ian Krol says he's matured since slur suspension (SF Chronicle)

57. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Of all the places to use a gay slur, he does it in the Bay Area? It's never acceptable, but I mean really…

58. Secret wasian man - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Thank goodness Ramos is back. Will Ryan Zimm pout if the ump makes a bad strike call?

59. Secret wasian man - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Just like of all the places to say what Jimmy the Greek said…….

60. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

We are so focused on the Barves, but the Phils are breathing down our necks right now. And Cliff Lee is pitching tonight. Mets and Marlins have their moments where they are world beaters. Wacky stuff.

61. natsfan1a - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Me, I prefer to run the bases backwards.Sec. 3, My Sofa said… I would love to see somebody come up to the plate and gaze admiringly into the bleachers, and when the ump or catcher asks what he's looking at, say "I was just admiring the home run I hit two weeks ago." July 10, 2013 5:45 PM

62. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Cat chaser, maybe…

63. Scott Margenau - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Why is DSpan starting vs Cliff Lee? Did last night 2/5 tell us nothing? SHar is a better lead off period…look at his stats, especially vs lefties! This is insane! Com on Davey! End Rant. That said i am now using reverse double knock to help DSpan gor 3/4. Then i will eat a double crow sandwich. GYFNG!

64. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

DSpan is our starter. Hairston is a bench player. This will not be a platoon. End of story. Anyone listening to Ray Knight?? He sounds very openly frustrated with the team's hitting approach and the lack of adjustments being made. Welcome to that party, Ray.

65. BigCat - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Interesting quotes from Hamel about Werth. A lot of respect there. I will say that Jason is looking more n more like that Phillie guy who terrorized us. He just flicked his wrists last night and the ball was gone

66. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Span has better numbers against Lee than Hairston. That's why.

67. That Old-School, Prestigious Way of Scooter - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM

See, the first step is to learn from what you've observed. The next step is to learn the right thing. "Scott Hairston is a better leadoff hitter" is not, in my view, the right lesson from last night's handful of plate appearances.

68. hiramhover - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Who's afraid of small sample sizes? Not Scott M!

69. karlkolchak - Jul 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

JD – Krol was a 7th round pick who had an ERA of 5.20 last year. As I said–nothing special. Not to mention, he was the PTBNL in that deal. Cole was the big enchilada of that trade for the Nats. I seriously doubt Krol's previous mistake had anything to do with him being traded.

70. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

In 2010, Krol pitched 140 innings with a 2.80 ERA. Krol was very highly regarded in the A's organization. He struggled a bit last year because he was injured in 2011. From everything I've read, the A's still viewed him as a pretty good prospect. Whether or not his slur played into him being traded, I don't know, but he wasn't complete crap for the A's.

71. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Interesting that lefties actually hit Lee significantly better than righties.

72. baseballswami - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

So it sounds to me like we have no chance tonight. Guess we should just forfeit now.

73. A DC Wonk - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Doc said… Davey is forgetting his sabermetrics again! Den Span doesn't hit lefties–Scott does, and did last night. C'mon Davey, get a grip!!!!!Doc, with all due respect, Davey knew sabermetrics before it was even invented. For real.And here's a great example:This season:Cliff Lee against righties: BAA .207Cliff Lee against lefties: BAA .268So, maybe Davey — a masters degree in math — is smarter than some of us.(And David Proctor, I owe you a beer!)

74. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Need 5 or more runs. Only lost twice when we score that much.

75. A DC Wonk - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Cole was the big enchilada of that trade for the Nats.Cole pitched 3 scoreless innings today. (Only three, because he's playing in the futures game)

76. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Lefties batting .500 tonight

77. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Good hit, Bryce… I was sitting here just cussing Desi something serious for 1 pitch 1 out….

78. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

What the hell was that Zimm?????

79. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

wash on, wash off, breathe in, breathe out…stay calm Mick, lol

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

My goodness 3 pitches over the plate and Zim didnt look like he was ready. The first right in the middle.With 2 trikes anything close you swing. Too easy to call a strike.This is where I say is where Eck does mothing. He should be ssking him why he didnt swing

81. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

To be fair to Ryan: you almost never see him get angry over ball/strike calls. These last two days, he's looked befuddled by the zone. And can you blame him? It's been all over the place.

82. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM

David… I will not blame umpire…Bryce hit the ball as well as others will tonight…no excuse or spin for Zim…simply not his best at bat

83. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I'm not excusing Zim, he needs to swing if it's close given how bad these umps have been. Just saying that you can tell how frustrated he is because he normally doesn't act like that.

84. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM

First pitch to Revere basically same and called strike too.Did we scout Revere. Throwing it right where he wants it.

85. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM

GIDP, NICE!

86. Secret wasian man - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Does Zimm even care? Is he trying to win? Just awful. Heck put Miguel in, at least he will try. ( bad news bears)

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM

88. Secret wasian man - Jul 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

It zimm is going to pout about the umps let him do it on the bench. Put in Lombo.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Come on, Gio painted the corner. Same as pitch 2 against Span.

90. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Ghost…i agree, Nats have to play through these homer umpires

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Much better than typical Gio first though 16 pitches to .3. Battees is too many.

92. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM

good inning for Gio

93. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

MNF said The problem of course was strike 1 easily was the best pitch to hit and lsid off. With Cliff Lee the first pitch is always tge most hittable pitch.====If you are talking Zimm's at bat… First pitch looked like it was below his knees… But the 2nd pitch was right at crush level…. That's the pitch he should have swung on….

94. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM

good news is Werth has brought his A game this series…he is seeing the ball well

95. A DC Wonk - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… The problem of course was strike 1 easily was the best pitch to hit and lsid off.If that's the case, then he needed to be more aggressive, right? Swing at those? That's exactly what Davey's been saying, and people here are criticizing Davey for this.OTOH, and FWIW, Charlie and Dave said that the first pitch was not a strike.

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I always liked the low pitches. The second was good to hit too.Noticed Werth swung at first two as tgey were hittable.

97. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan all my coaches I had always told us to lay off the first pitch the first time through the batting order

98. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I liked the lows pitches too, verse a lefty

99. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I am not in Davey',s camp as he is not a opposite field guy I amI am also hit tge first good fast ball in the direction it needs to go camp.Cliff Lee throw so few balls and fast balls early, to wait is fool hearty.

100. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I was always taught to see at least 5 pitches my first time thru the order… Nats need to show some patience… Make the pitcher show you what he's got….

101. mick - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

your right about Lee Manassas Nats' Fan

102. Secret wasian man - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I can't believe i sit here night after night hoping this team will score some runs. I'm done. I'm sure nobody here will care. Mick, good for you for trying to be positive. Personally this team is NOT worth it. GUTLESS underachieving pathetic losers. I'll post back on game 162. When we try to get our 74th win

103. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

LOL SWM

104. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Against most pitcher that is the practice. Against Cliff Lee that is not the best practice.

105. BigCat - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Michael Young. Nat Killer

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Zim didnt follow your coach's instruction .he saw 3

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

You said last night your skipping last 2 games. Be a man of your word.Remembers Nats will win the east.

108. phil dunton - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Secret Wasian, I share your pain.

109. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

One thing about it… Ramos has an awesome bat right now…

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Tip of the cap…

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

FP is idiot. A 10 foot bunt is not a good bunt. 15 feet would be good

112. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Big Cat. Keith Howell for bunt coach and hitting coach. Agree?

113. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM

The bunt wasn't bad given the pitch. Lee threw a curveball.

114. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Just remember, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.

115. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Can we make Rick Eckstein's nickname in here officially be "Barbaro"? Just wondering.

116. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM

It needed to be bunted at least 5 feet more, that the bunter can take care.Just as Big Cat if Keith Howell coaches bunts great.

117. SCNatsFan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Gonna be hard tonight after a season of struggles against lhp but we have to get the job done.

118. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Did we even hit Lee last time?

119. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Barbaro is fine.

120. phil dunton - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Why isn't Hairston is LF and Harper in CF this evening?

121. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Geez, horrible call at second. Out by three feet, easy.

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM

The neighborhood play has been around for ever. Why call it tgere.

123. David Proctor - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Span hits Lee better than Hairston. Also, that should've been called an out.

124. ExposedinDC - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Fundamental baseball and its 1-0 nats……frustrating

125. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

His foot might have been off, but umps for safety almost never call it.

126. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Why Span.

127. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Good job Gio…. Blue – unh unh unh…

128. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Why Barbaro.

129. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM

130. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM

FWIW, meteorological heck is suddenly breaking loose here in mid-DC.

131. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… For the record, the one replay they showed on MASN was not at a good angle to show Desmond's foot, but it looked to me like he was there. July 10, 2013 8:00 PM If it was that close, then the runner is out. That is a BS call. Barksdale screws the Nats again.

132. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

He could not possibly have been off the bag, if indeed he was at all, more than an inch, or an instant. He was stretching for the throw and "pulling" forward toward the mound. Bad call.

133. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Hard as Desmond's hit was to left, i doubt Buffalo would score.

134. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM

mick said… Ghost…i agree, Nats have to play through these homer umpires I check the Pitch F/X after each game to see how fair the umps are and what I find is that the Nats seemingly never get the calls in their favor on Strikes/Balls. Not sure why that is. Maybe a carryover from being so bad. Then you get this year the Nats haven't received 2 GIDP neighborhood calls.Davey needs to yell some more.

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM

SEC 3 – I'm a mile away from Nats Park… I was just about to say – they need to delay the game… It's dark as heck outside…Then I realized we were in Philly…#doh

136. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Another point, the passiveness of Acta was years of the Nats getting screwed by the umps and they knew he wouldn't complain.

137. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Rendon with a great stop. He got that as the ball was by him.

138. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Now, THAT'S a play Danny would have made. Great job, Rendon!

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Just got off phone with Big Cat.Both bemoaning Barbaro.Remember 5 or more runs we are 35-2

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Dammit… My directv is messing up…. Ugh….

141. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rendon

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

See, 0-2 count and Rendon spits on it. That probably makes his 2 strike average around .230 now.

143. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

OMG that HR hit the fan right in the face.

144. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

LOL! Make a great play, lead-off the next inning, and hit a home run!!!

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Yes Rendon…. Thank you!

146. phil dunton - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Rendon should be batting cleanup instead of Zimmerman.

147. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

BUFFALO!

148. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I just love Rendon and Ramos. RR railroad

149. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Buffalo

150. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Yes Ramos!!!! Yes Ramos!!!!!

151. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Ramos! Maybe the righties have Lee figured out?

152. Drew - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

We needed some R & R.

153. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

No do not call him a Buffali Soldier a slang term from 1870s

154. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I thought Desmond had that.

155. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Rendy ran when he hit his homer. He didn't know that you are supposed to stand there with your hands on your hips….

156. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Mrs B, I'm 3 miles on a line from Nats Park, and we're getting some donner und blitzen with serious wind. The worst of it seems to be south, I hope there's no tornadoes there.

157. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Come on Harp, that was an awful AB.

158. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

The contest of getting a hitting lesson from Zim.Harper took the lesson and didn't swing at 3

159. JaneB - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I love Rendon and the Buffalo. Took two outta the park against Cliff Lee. Yeehaw!

160. mick - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM

now thats what I call some R&R

161. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Need a shut down inning.

162. A DC Wonk - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Did Ramos swing first pitch?

163. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM

So many good ABs then you got Span with weak contact and RZim's Ks which is the difference from piecing together a big lead.

164. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I agree he doesn't fit the profile, but who called him Buffalo Soldier?

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Wonk, 2nd pitch.

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Gio run the pitch count up by walking first batter on 8 pitch.That is not fundlemental baseball

167. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

But as long as you brought it up …Buffalo Soldier

168. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Last thing you can do is walk the leadoff guy, Gio. Especially when that guy is Delmon Young.

169. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

35-2 with 5 runs 15-1 away 20-1 at home

170. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I'm more impressed by Rendon's AB. Young rookie, 0-2 count and he once again put together a great 2 strike at-bat.As I said yesterday that Rendon was scouted as the rare youngster who handles 2 strike counts like a professional hitter.

171. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Sigh. Throw strikes, Gio. You can't start walking the world when you get a lead.

172. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Come on Gio. You got a lead. Throw strikes. Get your head in it. The ump sucks. Get over it.

173. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

My biggest bitch about McCatty he comes out to lste.As soon as 2-0 on first batter Desmond should have been in thete.Why are so slow to react?

174. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Actually the first thing you do is walk the lead-off guy….

175. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Ramos should bat cleanup

176. Ron In Reston - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Ok, granted, I'm following the game on MLB Gameday, but apparently Gio shold just throw underhanded down the middle, it's the only was the jackmunch behind the plate is going to calla strike…..it's insane.

177. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Ramos has actually said that he enjoys batting 8th. If it works for him, let him at it.

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

This ump at 2nd base needs to be kicked upon with soil….

179. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

In basketball that was the time for the make up call.

180. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I don't think FP knows the origins of what Buffalo Soldier is. Has the term changed?

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… This ump at 2nd base needs to be kicked upon with soil…. So true.

182. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Inning should already be over but for these umps….

183. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I just stopped and crawled on the throw to second–that was another bad call. He was out. Very close, but no question. And is it me, or is FP going a bit Harry Carey on us, if you catch my drift?

184. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Gio GIO GIO GIO GIO!

185. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Wow. Just checked Cliff Lee's stats and given that he is a lefty, we shouldn't expect to win tonight….

186. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

What a pitch by Gio and how's about Ramos getting his mitt in the spot to catch that foul tip! WOW!

187. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Actually the first thing you do is walk the lead-off guy….+1

188. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I only know how it was used during calvary wars

189. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I think one of the best power hitters on the team should not be batting 8thSpan,rendon,harper,ramos,desi,alr,zimm,werth

190. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM

*stopped and crawled ON THE DVR/HD.And take the rosebush from my hair …

191. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

FP

192. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I agree with you. Ramos could certainly bat higher up. But if he likes batting 8th and he still puts up good numbers batting 8th…why mess with a good thing?

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

These guys have similar stuff as lefties….

194. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Buffalo SoldierFP, like many in here, doesn't waste time with rigor in his usage.

195. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

He didn't get fooled that time.

196. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

What was the count?

197. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Better than pouting

198. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

A day late but we will take it RZim! Nice shot. You killed that one!

199. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Home Run Derby tonight apparently

200. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

because, he'll like batting higher in the order and provide more production for the team.

201. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Home run derby.Lee needs to throw a ball.

202. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

WOW. Just Wow.And Zim's was on 0-2.

203. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

One thing about Zimm is that he surprises me how he can go from looking clueless to smacking homers….

204. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Yup, Ryan Zimmerman needs to sit.

205. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Is this the real Cliff Lee?

206. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Cliff Lee is HaRen'ing tonight.

207. Section 222 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM

My my my. That is impressive. But fire Eck!

208. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Righties can't hit Lee.What does ALR want right over the heart of the plate.

209. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM

This is the greatest homer hitting team ever….

210. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I just wish we had some men on base during some of these HRs. Game would be over if so.

211. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

man oh man, when we are hitting we are a fun team to watch, keep it up boys…Rendon started this all off.

212. JaneB - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Hmmmm…Either FP or Carp said that Cliff lee doesn't give up homers. "Don't expect to see the long ball." Glad they were WRONG!

213. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

If we dont cut out games like Monday and Tuesday.

214. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

why do they even pitch to Ramos with the pitcher behind him

215. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Dang Ramos just got robbed. He can hit.

216. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

217. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That's the thing about swinging for home runs–sometimes you get one, but it's a solo shot if everybody is doing it.

218. JaneB - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I think Cliff Lee is just cutting his price making it easy to trade him outta Philly. GYFNG!

219. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I know Revere isn't supposed to be a good fielder but man he makes some plays. Just robbed RAMos.He's no Nook Logan.; )

220. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Rob Maaddi‏@RobMaaddi5m Cliff Lee gave up 9 HRs in first 135.2 IP this season and 4 in last 8 batters.

221. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

222. phil dunton - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Nats must have the highest percentage of solo homers in MLB.

223. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… If we dont cut out games like Monday and Tuesday.It sure wasn't due to the pitching, it was the non-clutch hitting.

224. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM

nice to have ALR there…not many 1b make that pick…good first out.

225. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48 AM

That was a very nifty grab by LaRoche. Most MLB first basemen don't get that. Deceptively tough play.And have I mentioned how much I like watching Span run under balls, and then wait for them, instead of cruising to them? I like that.

226. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM

227. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM

paul brandt said… nice to have ALR there…not many 1b make that pick…good first out.That's his added value! What gets my lid is that the Nats infielders make way too many poor throws and LaRoche isn't going to be here long-term.

228. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… I think Mark must be down in the seats. Stay there, man, we still need that .7 run.Glad you got my back on that one! Want that extra .70#4.70

229. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Well assuming Zim moves to 1B, that removes one of the worst offenders as far as throwing. And as far as picking, Zim has shown a good ability to pick the ball (although picking at 3B is much different than 1B). We'll see how that all plays out.

230. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM

i wonder if ther's ever been a game where all 8 position players hit a hr.

231. A DC Wonk - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM

How much do we love it when Werth hits a HR against the Phillies…?

232. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I should also add Zim hasn't made a throwing error in over a month so maybe he's not the worst offender anymore. But regardless.

233. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Sec3, haha.Ghost, yep, ALR really makes it look easy.

234. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

woah… span against lefties…he's likely below the espinosa line

235. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Span's career numbers against lefties are still very good. This season is just weird. I don't get it.

236. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM

OK, paul brandt, you're on the NIDO list

237. Section 222 - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM

FP clearly has no idea who the Buffalo Soldiers were. 3 more innings guys. What a great game to win if we can hold on.

238. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM

yes…maybe new league, DP ?

239. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM

These are NL lefties….

240. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Yeah guys often struggle when moving from one league to another. I guess that's it. I still don't really get it though.

241. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Sofa, many thanks, my 1st official drink…will never forget it.

242. phil dunton - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

All four of Ruf's homers are against Nats pitching; three last year and one this year.

243. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM

jeffwx, not sure, but the record for most player on a team to homer in the same game in the AL is 7, done 3 times, and 8 in the NL, done once.Baseball Almanac

244. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Yeah Ruf is a Nats killer. Like Jordany Valdespin.

245. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Frandsen bunting for a hit with the lefty behind him?

246. SonnyG10 - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Hi gang. I'm on a camping trip again. This time in Pennsylvania overnight on my way to Niagra Falls. No TV and no radio here so I'm getting my updates from you folks. Be my eyes and ears.

247. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM

thanks sofa

248. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Bryce made me nervous there on the Revere line out.

249. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM

250. Section 222 - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Time for Bryce to join the HR Derby.

251. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Harper is the polar opposite of Span when it comes to making things look easy. Harper makes it look hard.

252. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM

David Proctor said…Yeah Ruf is a Nats killer. Like Jordany Valdespin.July 10, 2013 9:05 PMDP, so true and Giancarlo Stanton, man is he scary.

253. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Just watching the highlight between innings on MASN–the fan near the Nats dugout just giving Werth the DEATH GLARE as he came back into the dugout after his home run was hilarious.

254. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Finally the Nats knock a Phillies pitcher out sort of early 😉

255. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM

As Annie would note, Harper is pulling his hips out.

256. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… Frandsen bunting for a hit with the lefty behind him?Well, to be fair, it *was* a hit. Doesn't really matter what kind at that point. July 10, 2013 9:08 PM Good for him. There were 2 outs. You have to know who's batting behind you. If it was Michael Young, sure. It's like stealing 2nd with your best hitter up next in an obvious Int Walk situation.

257. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

But making things look easy is not a verifiable statistic and is one of the "skills" that GMs and scouts are most likely to overestimate, and GMs/scouts, more than anyone….

258. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

maybe Harper needs to shave his beard before his next AB like Desi, even if it's tomorrow.

259. jeffwx - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

That's an emory/shiner/spit ball

260. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM

It's like stealing 2nd with your best hitter up next in an obvious Int Walk situation. No, it's not. It's not at all like that. Getting to first is good, no matter how. He was sure he could beat that out, it was a smart situational play.

261. BigCat - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Zim needs help at the plate

262. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Zim is having one of the best offensive seasons of his career. He doesn't need help.

263. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Dang ALR just got robbed. Werth with a nice takeout slide but it didnt matter.

264. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Sofa, with 1 out or no out fine. He's a pinch-hitter that Charlie wants to hit it in the seats. I guarantee you Cholly wasn't happy about that. Did you see how badly Gio K'd Revere on the AB before that?I think NatsJack and some of the others would agree with me.

265. A DC Wonk - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I know everybody does it these days, but I don't like those one handed catches. Back n the day (am I remembering right?) that was hotdogging, no?

266. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM

ALR robbed big time. That took away an insurance run.

267. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM

1 every 13 innings going into tonight.

268. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:25 AM

They're down three–Cholly wants anything but baserunners and the pitcher in a stretch, he's more nuts than even Phillies fans think. He's an excellent bunter and fast enough to know Zim can't throw him out on even a halfway decent bunt, and he can get a good pitch because nobody is expecting it. Which is exactly what happened. If he'd lined the ball into center for a single, that's a hit, and a good outcome. It doesn't matter how far a hit goes, it's a hit.

269. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Gio with his 1 run performance just moved into 14th in NL ERA at 3.03

270. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:29 AM

About .150. Career wasnt that big a spead it is the Barbaro effect.

271. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Clippard has been absolutely fantastic this season. Reliable. He struggled maybe a little to start the season, but wow is he putting together a season. Consistent.

272. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM

It is easy the Barbaro effect.

273. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Nice hit….

274. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Ah, that doubles machine is working again!

275. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM

On a 1-2, Rendon doubles. Just incredible. Rendon and Werth could teach these guys how to approach working the count.Did I tell you I love this kid.

276. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Rendon for David Price?

277. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

don't get hurt big fella

278. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Ryan Zimmerman special is $11? Why 11?

279. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Did Ramos hit *that* one in de seats?No, Justin DeFratus.Thanks, I'm here all week!Try the veal!

280. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

WODL, wow!sorry, i like the kid and his upside so no but what the heck do i know?

281. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I second that

282. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I wouldn't give up Rendon for Price. I want a guy who can make an impact every day over a guy who can do it every 5th day.

283. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

OK, Hairston. Here comes your .7, Ghost…

284. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Didn't know Delmon Young could make that throw. The book on him is not a great arm.

285. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

squeeze davey

286. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I told big cat bunt before they said it.

287. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Davey should have pinch-run for Wilson Ramos.

288. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

OK, pulling a soft grounder to second actually works, here, Denard …

289. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Cholly is scheduling the PFP for tomorrow morning as we speak …

290. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Swinging bunt

291. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Second time this year Desmond has been IBB'd to get to Harper.

292. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

They're walking Desi in front of Bryce???

293. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

sofa, nice call dude!!!!!!!!!!!the old swingin bunt!

294. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Please make them pay Bryce!

295. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I wouldn't trade Rendon either. He may have the best hitting approach on the team and I am pretty sure that he does. He seems to have a great attitude and also a great head of hair. Boswell mentioned him as trade bait for Price or another pitcher, however…..

296. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Beat me to it. In a week's time

297. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Sec 3, we got our 4.70. Time to get greedy!

298. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Man, this is the second time Desmond gets IBB to get to Harper. C'mon, All-Star, show 'em what you got.Wow, he aired that first one out.

299. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Still pulling his hips …

300. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM

301. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM

They really, really don't want to give up the 4-spot here–looks like they'd rather risk walking him if they can't get him to fish.

302. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

They got him to fish. Nothing biting. Ass heading toward the first base dugout.

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Does anyone know if Rendy graduated from Rice or what his status there was? Rice is known for being the Swarthmore of Texas….

304. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM

This guy works slower than Storen.

305. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM

NatsLady said… David, I agree. Pitchers get hurt. Rendon will be good (and fairly cheap) for years and year. Rizzo would do it if Price signed an extension otherwise NO.Aren't you all glad Rizzo didn't give in to trading Rendon during the Hot Stove.

306. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Not interedted

307. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Tucking it up here, boss.

308. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Ghost, was Rizzo every close to trading Rendon? I don't think so. He went and signed Haren and called it a meeting. Then Boras talked him into Soriano.

309. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

H-Rod just walked in a run.

310. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Zim a golden Sombraro plus a homer

311. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Since SI predicts the Nats and the Rays in the World Series, I don't think we have to worry about a Rendy for Price trade.

312. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Loeffy, it doesn't look like it.Anthonly Rendon on Wikipedia

313. Section 222 - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hey MASN director — Next time keep the camera on Soriano while he talks to his hat. Please!

314. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM

WODL, someone will correct me if wrong, but think Rendon finished just 2 years at Rice.

315. NatsLady - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Henry walked in a run AFTER he cleared the bases by giving up a home run.Homer (2-run), single, single, walk, walk. Pitching change.

316. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 9sHenry Rodriguez faced 5 batters tonight with the Cubs. He didn't retire any of them. Homer, single, single, walk, walk.

317. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Ha Ha, paul, I just pulled even!

318. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Well, as a responsible student athlete, I am sure Rendy (like Espy and Desi, get it?) will graduate soon….

319. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I owe you one, NL.

320. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Denard really doesn't like slamming into walls, does he? Which speaks well for his good sense.

321. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM

If he could just hit lefties and steal a few bases, Span could win over my heart…..

322. JaneB - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Oh Denard! Awesome play and may you be okay. That was a killer catch!

323. David Proctor - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Span has had concussion issues in his career. Hope he's okay.

324. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM

UNTUCKED

325. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Gee, that was a LOT more fun than last night.Toast a good one, go get 'em tomorrow.

326. JaneB - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Oh man. hRod didn't improve with the change in venue. I hoped better for him. But man am I grateful he can't so that to us anymore.It shouldn't be, but life feels better when they win.

327. paul brandt - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM

think Ray has had a few virtual drinks…wow!!Sofa, ha! don't know how to fix the NIDO, can you do so?

328. SonnyG10 - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Yeah! Nats win!! Thanks for all the commentary, NIers.

329. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Jul 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

can do, paul. FYI, I'll have add you to the left side.