Jul 10, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After a lackluster offensive showing last night against John Lannan, the Nationals hoped to get back on track tonight against Cole Hamels. But the veteran Phillies left-hander was masterful, allowing only Jayson Werth's solo homer in the top of the second, finishing his night with a flourish by pitching out of an eighth-inning jam. Rookie Taylor Jordan again was solid but faded late, allowing three runs in the sixth (one of them unearned because of an Adam LaRoche throwing error). The Nationals couldn't mount a late rally, and so they dropped their second straight in Philly after coming to town on a four-game winning streak. They're back to two games over the .500 mark, and their lead over the Phillies for second place in the NL East is down to 1 1/2 games.
Hitting lowlight: They didn't get many chances against Hamels, but they definitely squandered their best chance. Trailing by three runs in the eighth, the Nationals loaded the bases on singles byRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"