Jul 10, 2013, 1:55 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: After a lackluster offensive showing last night against John Lannan, the Nationals hoped to get back on track tonight against Cole Hamels. But the veteran Phillies left-hander was masterful, allowing only Jayson Werth's solo homer in the top of the second, finishing his night with a flourish by pitching out of an eighth-inning jam. Rookie Taylor Jordan again was solid but faded late, allowing three runs in the sixth (one of them unearned because of an Adam LaRoche throwing error). The Nationals couldn't mount a late rally, and so they dropped their second straight in Philly after coming to town on a four-game winning streak. They're back to two games over the .500 mark, and their lead over the Phillies for second place in the NL East is down to 1 1/2 games.
Hitting lowlight: They didn't get many chances against Hamels, but they definitely squandered their best chance. Trailing by three runs in the eighth, the Nationals loaded the bases on singles byRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown