Jul 11, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Bryce Harper has participated in only one Home Run Derby in his life: an amateur showcase in 2009 in St. Petersburg, Fla., where the then-16-year-old clubbed a 500-foot homer and was presented a trophy by none other than Davey Johnson.
So when he got the call from Mets slugger David Wright late last week, offering an invitation to compete in his first official MLB Home Run Derby, Harper knew he couldn't say no.
"I was just trying to think about for a couple of days, see if I really wanted to do it," he said. "I thought it would be pretty cool. And I didn't want to tell David Wright: 'No.'"
Harper will be the second-youngest player in Home Run Derby history, bested only by Ken Griffey Jr., who was 39 days younger when he competed as a 20-year-old in 1990.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups