Jul 11, 2013, 1:58 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Knowing they faced a tough challenge against Cliff Lee (otherwise known as The World's Greatest Strike-Thrower), the Nationals had to hope for a strong start from Gio Gonzalez and then some timely hits against the Phillies left-hander. They got both. Gonzalez was outstanding yet again, allowing one run over seven innings. And his teammates provided the support, blasting four solo homers off Lee in the fifth and sixth innings. Anthony Rendon and Wilson Ramos went back-to-back in the fifth, then Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth did it in the sixth. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano finished things off out of the bullpen and the Nationals got back on the winning track. They're three games over .500 again and trimmed their deficit in the NL East to five games entering tomorrow's series finale.
Hitting highlight: Though they weren't able to produce any runs early, the Nationals did hit the ball hard against Lee, offering someRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League