Jul 11, 2013, 1:58 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: Knowing they faced a tough challenge against Cliff Lee (otherwise known as The World's Greatest Strike-Thrower), the Nationals had to hope for a strong start from Gio Gonzalez and then some timely hits against the Phillies left-hander. They got both. Gonzalez was outstanding yet again, allowing one run over seven innings. And his teammates provided the support, blasting four solo homers off Lee in the fifth and sixth innings. Anthony Rendon and Wilson Ramos went back-to-back in the fifth, then Ryan Zimmerman and Jayson Werth did it in the sixth. Tyler Clippard and Rafael Soriano finished things off out of the bullpen and the Nationals got back on the winning track. They're three games over .500 again and trimmed their deficit in the NL East to five games entering tomorrow's series finale.
Hitting highlight: Though they weren't able to produce any runs early, the Nationals did hit the ball hard against Lee, offering someRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss