Jul 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
The suggestion appeared to come out of the blue. Jordan Zimmermann, after another quality start last night in the Nationals' 3-1 loss to the Phillies, told reporters there's a chance he will skip Tuesday's All-Star Game to let his lingering stiff neck have more time to heal before the second half of the season begins.
Seriously? One of baseball's best pitchers, who has shown outward signs of being injured, might ask out of his first All-Star Game appearance because of a stiff neck?
Before vilifying Zimmermann, though, let's get our facts straight. The right-hander has indeed been dealing with a lingering neck injury for nearly two months. Davey Johnson has mentioned it more than once following his starts, and Zimmermann himself hadRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort
- Nats lineup goes silent in loss to Braves
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October