Jul 12, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
The suggestion appeared to come out of the blue. Jordan Zimmermann, after another quality start last night in the Nationals' 3-1 loss to the Phillies, told reporters there's a chance he will skip Tuesday's All-Star Game to let his lingering stiff neck have more time to heal before the second half of the season begins.
Seriously? One of baseball's best pitchers, who has shown outward signs of being injured, might ask out of his first All-Star Game appearance because of a stiff neck?
Before vilifying Zimmermann, though, let's get our facts straight. The right-hander has indeed been dealing with a lingering neck injury for nearly two months. Davey Johnson has mentioned it more than once following his starts, and Zimmermann himself hadRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge