Game 94: Nats at Marlins

Jul 13, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Losers of four of their last five, the Nationals will send Dan Haren (4-10, 6.00 ERA) to the mound in Miami Saturday night to face rookie standout and N.L. All-Star Jose Fernandez (5-5, 2.83). Fernandez has yet to lose at Marlins Park and will be making his first start against the Nats. He last pitched on July 7 in St. Louis and allowed three earned runs for the first time since May.

Washington took an ugly loss in the series opener on Friday night, watching Stephen Strasburg falter with the worst start of his young career. Miami has won two straight games after losing their previous five after a terrific month of June. Haren will take a stab at the Fish in his seventh career start against the franchise. He holds a 1-4 record with a 3.43 ERA in 39 1/3 total innings vs. the Marlins.

Anthony Rendon gets the night off with Steve Lombardozzi playing at second. Other than that change, the lineup is the same as it was on Friday.

Enjoy the game…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:15 p.m. EDT
TV: FOX, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 186
Weather: Indoors

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Why a day off now when there is a longish break coming up? Maybe not a break for Rendon, maybe some AB's for Lombo? Win or lose, I am hoping for good quality baseball. I love the Nats, but sometimes they are just a tad, well, um….. Boring, to watch. Sorry, guys. It had to be said. I don't even need home runs, just hits, good defense, adequate pitching.

2. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I assume this is an opportunity to get Lombo ABs more than it's a break for Rendon. Like you said Swami, I'm sure Rendon could survive two more days before the break.

3. paul brandt - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

for those interested, on mlb.com, they are showing the Braves/Reds game for free…I had to register but that's it.

4. karlkolchak - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Great…here we are struggling to stay above .500 before the break with our worst pitcher going up against a potential buzz saw, yet we give one of our best hitters the night off. Makes perfect sense.

5. Unknown - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

For those of you complaining about WaPo, note the author is likely going to be the O's beat writer, the 50-50 coverage we saw in the bad early years is probably back.

6. nats guy - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Nothing they are doing these days makes sense. The games are beginning to get very predictable. Get behind by two runs or more and roll over.

7. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Nats guy- I am totally stumped. Go down the roster player by player and this is just not the way it seems like it should work. Maybe this break will be just the thing to clear a few heads and give some perspective. Can't really make things worse at this point.

8. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I don't think they rolled over last night. They put some men on base and Harper hit a bomb 410 feet that would've been gone anywhere else. It's not an excuse, they both had the same ballpark, but you need to look beyond the numbers sometimes for context. They fought and were unlucky.

9. Mickey Vernon - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Just reviewed the last few threads, and noted that most criticism of Nats' hitting focused on taking or swinging at pitches. But before that becomes a factor, some Nats' hitters give the pitcher an unnecessary advantage by their stances and mechanics. For example, some give the pitcher an advantage by standing too far from the plate (RZim, Ramos), or pulling the bat backwards before starting it forward (Shark), or uppercutting (Span) instead of swinging through the ball (Rivere). Werth and Rendon have the best stances and swings in the entire lineup, with LaRoche next in line, IMO.

10. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

David– always a danger when looking at stats and results. It can look very much like someone is not hitting, when, in fact, they could be scalding the ball and getting very unlucky.

11. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Reds got the bases loaded with one out, no runs. Must be a terrible team, no chance they'll go to the playoffs–you can tell by that one inning.

12. NatsLady - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

MV–I've always wondered about the stances, they are so different, they can't ALL be effective.

13. ExposedinDC - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

David….difference last night their pitcher battled through some adversity and ours came back out and walked a guy and gave up a bomb….Stras has a ton of talent unfortunately not so much mental toughness

14. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Mickey– Werth and Rendon are my favorite at bats to watch. They never give an at bat away, they make the pitcher work, foul off pitches. I know Werth has a high number of pitches per AB, but I would suspect, just from watching, that Rendon is no slouch in that regard.

15. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Werth sees 4.35 pitches per plate appearance–4th in the NL among everyone with at least 100 PAs. Surprisingly, Ryan Zimemrman is second on the team with 4.17 (12th in the NL). Rendon is third, he sees 4.15. Suzuki and LaRoche also both see over 4.

16. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Harper sees 4 exactly.

17. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ok- thanks for the info, it's interesting. I am guessing we won't see Desi on that list? And you know, I am absolutely not any kind of O's fan, but Chris Davis has hit 36 home runs before the all star break. I don't care who you play for, that is just insane.

18. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Desi sees 3.68 Pitches/PA. That's 129th in the NL. LOL.

19. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

David– did you find that order surprising or right what you expected?

20. SonnyG10 - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Pitch a good game tonight Haren; you offensive guys get him plenty of runs. Let's have a nice win tonight!! GYFNG!!!

21. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

It's about what I expected. I shouldn't have been surprised by Zim being so far up, he takes a lot of pitches (too many, imo, but I know many disagree with me). Span is very low, which is disappointing and surprising. He used to work those long counts…what happened?

22. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Fernandez is going to eat Lombo alive. Of course, he'd brutilize Rendon too.

23. Mickey Vernon - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Swami, in lisitng Werth and Rendon, I forgot to mention Harper, whose stance and swing are nearly perfect from my vantage point. His only problem is occasionally opening up his right side too quickly and pulling away from the ourside-half pitch, but when he's locked in he doesn't do that and I'm expecting him to break loose big time after so long on the DL.

24. phil dunton - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I suspect the offense challenged Nats hitters will have difficulty hitting Fernandez tonight. He has been the Marlins best pitcher.

25. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I would not expect a big offensive outburst against Fernandez. The key is going to be Haren keeping us in it until we get to their bullpen.

26. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Going into play today, they have 69 games left. Everything that can be said, has been said, in most cases several dozen times, sometimes several dozen times per thread. If things don't change pretty soon, we have nearly three months left of nothing new. It's not the beat writers' fault, but maybe if they fired one of them, the comments would improve. We have to try something. And sjm, from the end of the last thread, FWIW, I don't think declining to shoplift the property that represents somebody's livelihood makes one a fool, or a sucka, or un-hip, or what-evva. IMO. YMMV. FYI. IITYWYBMAD.

27. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM

"It's not the beat writers' fault, but maybe if they fired one of them, the comments would improve. We have to try something."LOL

28. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM

In regards to the at bat discussion– is anyone else surprised at how much Bryce walks??? Both he and The Rake have impressed me with their frequent discipline. I find them both to be pretty impressive with their patience and taking what the pitcher gives them.

29. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Well Rendon has been known for his ability to take walks. Harper has surprised me, and I like it very much. .374 OBP.

30. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Maybe they're the two who are still green enough to be willing to listen. Just a thought.

31. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Well Ryan Zimmerman has walked more than anybody on the team.

32. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

That- or they haven't been around long enough to have been ruined!

33. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I take that back. Adam LaRoche has walked the most. Zim is second. So it's the two vets walking. Harper is third (although Harper has done it in less games so that's significant).

34. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Whatever the reason is- I think Desi is the only one that can succeed with the free swinging approach. The rest of the fail miserably with the flailing at the plate.

35. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I am hearing that Fernandez is good- any idea what his weapons are? I really thought we would hit the fastball guy last night, and well, we started to, but then Stras…. Well, you know. Just seems like we are usually good against a nice fastball. Anything but a lefty junk baller, please.

36. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Steady Eddie, from the early part of the last thread: 1d10t is a reference to the CKI discussion yesterday.A "CKI malfunction" means the person between the chair and the keyboard ("Chair-Keyboard Interface") is the problem. "1D10T" is a joke error code–it looks like "idiot" when you see it spelled, but not out loud. Hence the new location.Why, thank you, I will.

37. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

He throws a hard fastball (97) with a big breaking curve and a slider. His story is incredible. I'm sure FP and Stockton will talk about it today, but he tried to defect from Cuba 3 times. At 17, he was arrested and spent a year in prison. Finally, he escaped.

38. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

he tried to defect from Cuba 3 times. At 17, he was arrested and spent a year in prison. Finally, he escaped. Today's starter, Fernandez? This guy spent a year in a Cuban prison, for trying to play baseball? I am never going to [complain] about a bad mound again.

39. paul brandt - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM

and on his successful attempt at defecting, his mother fell overboard and he had to dive in to save her…pretty amazing story.

40. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I say, tee hee. :-)Mark said…Haren will take a stab at the Fish…

41. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Nah, I think we need to sacrifice a commenter. What?sec3 said…It's not the beat writers' fault, but maybe if they fired one of them, the comments would improve. We have to try something.

42. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nah, I think we need to sacrifice a commenter. What?We already did that … whoops, I wasn't supposed to say that in here, was I?

43. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

So what you are saying is that it's inhumane to root against him. And why is it that the Phils and the Barves are not slacking off? Even depleted, the Barves are beating Homer Bailey. I want to hurl.

44. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

pretty amazing story. I don't doubt it. I have a friend who was storing a large dufflebag at work. I asked what was in it; he said, "The innertube raft."

45. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM

So what you are saying is that it's inhumane to root against him.Well, I'm going to be conflicted. YMMV. It's a free country, after all.

46. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I wish Fernandez all the success in the world…when he's not playing us. Today, he's the enemy.

47. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I was conflicted about John Lannan. But then a season in Syracuse just does not have the same dramatic impact.

48. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM

atlanta's of today is costanza, reed johnson, and terdoslavich

49. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Ixnay on the acrificesay.Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa said… We already did that … whoops, I wasn't supposed to say that in here, was I? July 13, 2013 5:35 PM

50. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

"Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke felt some back tightness following his most recent start on Monday, so Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he will not start tomorrow against the Mets and will also skip Tuesday’s All-Star Game."That has to open the door for Stras or Gio.

51. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You don't have to be a shoplifter or even a hacker to read more than 20 WaPo articles a month online without paying for them. The Post has created several classes of people who are automatically allowed to do that, and for those who don't fit into any of those classes the Post's articles are as readily available online as their print articles are available in libraries or on Metro seats after the person who paid for them discards them. So yes, anybody who pays money to read Washington Post content online is indeed a fool.People who buy the print edition aren't necessarily fools, but if they're doing it so they can read things like comics and Soduko that have zero time value might I suggest that their money could be better spent by going into a bar, picking up yesterday's discarded paper on the way, and treating themselves to an adult beverage.

52. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Today's Barves roster should not beat the Reds! Cincy– get your heads out of your A%#*^es!

53. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM

"That has to open the door for Stras or Gio."Stras pretty much closed the door on himself last night.

54. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

55. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

at this point, I prefer they miss ASG as well.

56. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

And the White Sox suck also.

57. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Faraz- mixed feelings. Thought JZ could handle it. Feel that Desi could also and Tulo is being unfair to the Rockies by going.

58. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM

tulo is going? LOL, he thinks playing ASG is more important than playing for Rockies?JZ would be the only one I would have sent but not anymore. Harper should rest too.

59. Kirbs - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Don't think I can watch another Haren game, or listen to the 5th string Fox announcers…no, this will be a radio game for me.

60. Secret wasian man - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Swami from your early post. Yes boring is correct. That can be worse than losing sometimes.

61. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

"David Proctor said… I don't think so. Every pitcher has an awful start every now and then. I think Bochy would realize it's an anomaly. If this happened on May 12 instead of July 13, it'd be a non-issue."But it DID happen on July 12th. So not only does Stras still have a losing record, his ERA is no longer so incredible and he's coming off the stink of being blown out of a game in the second inning. No one could argue that he's having an All Star season.

62. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

People who buy the print edition aren't necessarily fools, but if they're doing it so they can read things like comics and Soduko that have zero time value might I suggest that their money could be better spent by going into a bar, picking up yesterday's discarded paper on the way, and treating themselves to an adult beverage. So you disapprove of how strangers spend their time and money, and sneer in their general direction. Duly noted. It is, as we said, a free country.

63. Secret wasian man - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Haren gives up 3 runs tonight. We score 4.

64. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Yes boring is correct. That can be worse than losing sometimes.lolo, as Mick says. You're telling us!

65. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I think I'll go do the sodoku and read the comics. That Prince Valiant cracks me up every time!

66. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I still get the print edition every single morning. It has been part of my morning routine for most of my life. I would much rather peruse an actual print newspaper than scroll around a tiny screen. The Washington Post has been one of the most respected news sources for many years and they have won countless awards. I will never, ever forget their role during the Watergate scandal. I happen to care about hard news and never, ever read comics or do soduko nor do I consider myself a fool. I also love real books and libraries. So sue me.

67. djinFl. - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Swami I would love to have that print smeared on my fingers every morning, but no chance here. I finish our local paper walking in from the curb, so I pay to read the Post and read real journalist. I just buy large monitors for us because here we read about 8 newspapers a day each. I blame it on living in DC foe 55 years.

68. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM

If the Nats score 2 runs or more off Fernandez I'll be shocked. He's better than Harvey, only less experienced.This kid is GREAT!

69. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM

70. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Also, we need something to line the bird cage. ;-)

71. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM

David Proctor said… "Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke felt some back tightness following his most recent start on Monday, so Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that he will not start tomorrow against the Mets and will also skip Tuesday’s All-Star Game.That has to open the door for Stras or Gio." Maybe Gio. Never Stras.

72. phil dunton - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

An article on the Os dominates the front page of the Washington Post sports section this morning. Soon, the Redskins will dominate and the Nationals will be relegated to the last page.

73. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM

"NatsJack in Florida said… I pay to read the online Post. If you've ever had to do with totally another paper not in a major market, you'd unerstand."I can understand why you'd read the online Post. Can't understand why you'd pay for it, though, when it's readily available for free.

74. phil dunton - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Span is no base stealer!

75. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Bleh. Span got a good jump, that was a perfect throw.

76. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

First of all- Span is really hitting .264? I would have thought lower. Second– anyone afraid some national market will snap up FP? He is so good. Chance to get to the pitcher early blown already.

77. natsfan1a - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Tuned in late and – OMG, it's FP! That is all. Back to the basement baseball-viewing den.

78. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Strange personal fact- I have been to six games this season. Dan Haren has won two of them. And Gio has lost two of them. What are the odds?

79. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM

A lot of pitches, but a good first inning for Haren.

80. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Again, we lose the base runner? Arggggggh!

81. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM

This old guy cannot pronounce any of the names.

82. mick - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM

no reason why nats can not win this game

83. mick - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I dont buy the Fernandez stuff…if Marlins can beat Stras…no reason why nats cant beat Fernandez

84. djinFl. - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Swami, Gio should be buying you tickets to Haren's games if you promise not attend when he pitches

85. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Good start to the game for Haren.

86. Scott Margenau - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

We can't catch a break.

87. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I'm 4-0 in games attended this year. I tweeted the Nationals asking for free season tickets. No response. :(

88. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Scott- we truly cannot catch a break. Echeverria robbed Lombo.

89. baseballswami - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM

But at least we are making some contact off the guy.

90. David Proctor - Jul 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Regardless of what happens, these are the types of ABs we need more often from Span.

91. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Fantastic AB.

92. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Great AB!!!

93. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Desmond hammered that ball.

94. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Man- they have some nifty young players on this team. That huge outfield is covered. Nats are putting together some good at bats, though. I truly hate Fox coverage- wish they would just keep the camera on the game.

95. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Harper was dead on arrival. Nats caught a break.

96. Joe Seamhead - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Dirtbag baseball. I love it!

97. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Or maybe Bryce is just a beast!

98. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Gio looks tired.

99. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM

LOL, Gio. Rendon looks like a "schoolboy."

100. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Biogenesis on his mind?

101. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

We don't get to see Haren strike out Stanton?

102. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM

4 pitch walk?

103. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Even though it's Gio, I hate it when they don't stay focused on the game. At least we have FP.

104. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That was probably the worst interview of all time, but it was cool to see the guys having fun with one another.

105. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:36 AM

They've stopped listing Gio's name when they talk about Biogenesis. I hope that's a good sign.

106. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Davey, keep your eye on Haren, and DON'T get greedy!

107. SonnyG10 - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

No eyes or ears on the game. Can someone give me a status, please?

108. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Best part is that Fernandez pitch count is up. Get him out.

109. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Still-you never know. This thing needs to come down so that everyone can move on.

110. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Harper went wild on the basepaths, scored on a sac fly by Werth (play at the plate, ran over the catcher, catcher dropped it). Nats lead 1-0.

111. SonnyG10 - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Thanks, David.

112. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Hey folks… I see D Haren is having a good game, so far… *no jinx*I know I predicted his stat line… I just can't find it… I wonder how well I said he would do….

113. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Haren is a good bunter. He could teach some of the other guys.

114. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Desi has had 3 bad at bats tonight…. Unh.

115. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That was a nasty pitch that Desi just struck out on. That was a ball until the last second then broke back over. Filthy.

116. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I don't think Mathis ever had control of the ball. Looked like it was off the tip of his glove.

117. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Looked to me like the catcher actually pulled off the catch right before he got demolished by Bryce. And the Gio/ Rendon interview could have been a toothpaste commercial with those two great big smiles. Awful as interviews go, but lots of fun seed throwing. I might have liked to see Stanton strike out, though.

118. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Not a filthy pitch. Close enough to a strike all the way in. I am SICK of watching our so called "Stars" on this team watch strike 3 especially with men in scoring position. Nobody wants to take charge.. GUTLESS!!

119. Nattering Nat - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Don't want to be a jinx, but did I miss something? Did Strasburg and Haren exchange bodies in the dead of night, hoping no one would notice?

120. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Lol SWM.

121. Nattering Nat - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Or at least pitching brains?

122. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Ben Revere has a broken right foot.

123. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

This was my prediction last night….MrsB_says_NatsStop-World_Series7/12/2013 9:20 PM EDTWe are talking about Dan Haren… Watch he come out tomorrow and pitch for 6 innings, 4 hits 1 ER, 1 BB….

124. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Everybody get off Haren. I don't hear him getting much love here. Hes not nearly as bad as the Hitting or lack there of, of the team.

125. djinFl. - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I thought you had left for good swm!

126. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Yes he has. But not today. He's been good today.

127. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM

That didn't look like a bad pitch, Harper. Don't pick fights with umpires if you're not right.

128. baseballswami - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Sssshhhhh!

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM

More Harper bias. FP plays suck up to the national audience.

130. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM

That was a good pitch, Steve M.

131. Secret wasian man - Jul 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

THOSE ARENT STRIKES> UMPS GETTING LAZY>

132. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM

We will see David.

133. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:56 AM

ALR overdue for a HR

134. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM

ALR starting to look like CHAD TRACY> Well id love to stay but im a little BORZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ

135. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Well Fernandez is out of the game now. Don't blow up, Haren.

136. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Boy he locked up Stanton. Got to see it this time. Should I make a list of the errors Stockton makes?

137. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

About time the Park screws the Marlins over.

138. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Span's catch. Ho-hum…… LOL.

139. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Reminds me of RFK in CF

140. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Yawn… Just another spectacular Span catch…..

141. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM

How far does Davey go with Dandy Dan?He's got to be feeling like that lucky drunk who's winning at the craps table in Vegas right now.

142. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM

New Dick Stockton Drinking Game:Every time he mashes a name, or makes a factual mistake, take a drink.I guarantee you'll be pummeled by the seventh inning stretch.

143. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Ghost….Del Unser…lol

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Let's give Haren credit. Great job.

145. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Storen=Clip=Sori Would be nice to have a couple of insurance runs.

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Mick, yah, Del Unser.

147. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Dan Haren is 28? When did that happen?????

148. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Did Stockton just say Haren finds himself on the wrong end of a 1-0 game? It's 1-0 Washington, you idiot.

149. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM

He said all four sac bunts were in 1 out situations. Yeah, except for one of them… Haren's second bunt. Doesn't he keep a score card?

150. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:13 AM

151. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM

stockton not having a good night

152. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

FP is too polite to correct him, like he would with Carp. I was surprised the Nats are 8th in the league in SB's.

153. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:15 AM

fox is just soooo bad

154. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Stockton is making Johnny Holliday's PBP look like Vin Scully.

155. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

He has been calling those low strikes all day.

156. ExposedinDC - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Awesome lead off hitter

157. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That's a pitch that, when Span is on, he golfs down the right field line.

158. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM

can't get on umpire…its time to hit period

159. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM

OMG Another looking strike out with RISP. GUTLESS GUTLESS GUTLESS at least try. I hate Span.

160. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

GUTLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry, just doing my best SWM impression.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Interesting SZ… good clap for Haren… He pitched very well tonight…

162. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Come on, Drew. Haren pitched SIX innings of shutout ball. Surely you can pitch ONE!

163. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM

DAVID you've NEVER IMPRESSED me

164. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Storen walks the leadoff man. Great.

165. Secret wasian man - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:23 AM

YEAH STORENS GUTLESS!!!!!!! hahahaha

166. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:23 AM

No worries… Storen has got this…

167. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Im watching an aweful chick flik with my girl friend. 1939 The Women….the hats are ridiculous.All game news coming from you all.is it better to be alone and watch all the sports imaginable or live in great company and occasional frustration

168. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I'm a chick and I never heard of that movie.

169. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

well maybe watching the nats is more frustrating…Joan Crawford is such a

170. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

ALL RIGHT!!!!

171. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:26 AM

The film continued the play's all-female tradition—the entire cast of more than 130 speaking roles was female. Set in the glamorous Manhattan apartments of high society evoked by Cedric Gibbons, and in Reno where they obtain their divorces, it presents an acidic commentary on the pampered lives and power struggles of various rich, bored wives and other women they come into contact with.Throughout The Women, not a single male is seen — although the males are much talked about, and the central theme is the women's relationships with them

172. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Jeff – that is a classic movie…. They did a replay a few years ago with Meg Ryan and Jada Pinkette Smith and some others I can't remember….Great movie…

173. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM

@Jeff and NL: With my right eye, I'm watching "Pride of the Yankees" on MLB. Gehrig already has Wally Pipped Wally Pipp (Or is it now known as getting Espinosa'ed?) and his "Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth" Speech is coming up. It's a four-hankie movie.

174. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It's a tear jerker…I can hardly contain myself…like game 5 of the NLDS

175. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yeah.. There are no males in the movie… Until the end…

176. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Oh great. Pride of the Yankees…I don't have enough eyes.And we can't have dinner until it's over!!!Oh the humanity.

177. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Nice Storen. GIDP

178. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Um, the Marlins DIDN'T get a RUN!!!!! Sheeesh! Is Stockton drunk or something?

179. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Webb is apparently GUTLESS too. Lot of that going around, I guess.Mwaahaahahh.

180. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Yes Mrs B, I must admit it is very well done. I hope they don't take away my guy card, though.

181. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Wow, MASN doesn't get these 1980's Lexus commercials like FOX does.

182. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Jeffwx, Betty Davis movies are exempt, your guy card is safe.

183. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM

jeffwx. so, basically, "Real Housewives of —" (which I have never in my life watched, I'm just guessing).

184. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

No NL… I watched the Housewives series… The Women isn't like that at all…

185. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Oh come on Harper. That was unnecessary.

186. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Yes, the 1939 version….Betty Davis is not in the movie. Neither is Lou Gehrig.

187. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM

That wasnt a K….

188. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

But while we're on the subject, another excellent movies without a lot of male presence (but it does have Jack Palance, so that's OK): Bagdad Cafe

189. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM

You know what==> Someone should have stopped him from looking at the video. Just say, "Wait until after the game." Really stupid.

190. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM

There you go with the Harper bias. That's exactly what I wrote about Friday morning.

191. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Shark is still available for left, no?This is a national game, Wendelstad can't just keep calling crap like that without somebody saying something.

192. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM

OK, well, maybe in the winter I'll check it out.

193. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM

So what did PitchFX think of that call? Anybody?

194. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM

ACtually it pretty funny…In 1939, you could only get a divorce in Reno and a slider in the baker bowl I guess.

195. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Why won't Fox show the K zone. I will check the charts after the game

196. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM

oh yeah, NL, you clearly haven't dated my girlfriennd (or ex-wife). Nobody has those kind of guts except maybe SWM

197. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I think he was out.

198. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Sofa, Pitch F/X isn't posted until the game ends.

199. jeffwx - Jul 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Rosalind Russell, what an actress.Who's pitching ?