Game 94: Nats at Marlins

Jul 13, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images

Losers of four of their last five, the Nationals will send Dan Haren (4-10, 6.00 ERA) to the mound in Miami Saturday night to face rookie standout and N.L. All-Star Jose Fernandez (5-5, 2.83). Fernandez has yet to lose at Marlins Park and will be making his first start against the Nats. He last pitched on July 7 in St. Louis and allowed three earned runs for the first time since May.

Washington took an ugly loss in the series opener on Friday night, watching Stephen Strasburg falter with the worst start of his young career. Miami has won two straight games after losing their previous five after a terrific month of June. Haren will take a stab at the Fish in his seventh career start against the franchise. He holds a 1-4 record with a 3.43 ERA in 39 1/3 total innings vs. the Marlins.

Anthony Rendon gets the night off with Steve Lombardozzi playing at second. Other than that change, the lineup is the same as it was on Friday.

Enjoy the game…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:15 p.m. EDT
TV: FOX, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 186
Weather: Indoors

CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper

1. nats guy - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

May David Proctor sb be the one doing the paging.

2. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

yes, the season is over. stop watching nats and visiting nats blogs. 😛

3. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

222, if you read my game post, you will see I asked all the same questions. I don't see how Rizzo can fire Davey. But he sure can go to his office and shout to the roof of Marlins Park, WHY WASN'T RENDON IN THIS GAME??????? Can't you manage the Kid's temper?And if Davey says, why don't you manage the team, Rizzo can say, resignation accepted…LOL

4. Section 222 - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Sorry NL, I read some of the posts this morning, but didn't go back and read the game thread. Thought it would be too depressing. I'm really curious what's up with Davey and Krol. Seems like he just forgets about the guy who has been one of the most effective relievers we have. Maybe Krol needs to leave a note on Davey's desk like Burnett did.Hope they can take today's game. Going into the break with a 4 game losing streak and under .500 would be pretty awful. Lots of pressure for Kid Jordan.

5. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM

222, no I meant my blog post.

6. NatsLady - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I don't see that much difference between .500 and one game under. Kid Jordan should just pitch his game. This game is not the important one; what is important is what happens after the break.

7. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Secret wasian man we should have that beer sooner than later, lol

8. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Nats lady… I think 1 game over as opposed to 1 game under is significant…however, it may not matter…the body language I see in the club house is all on needs to know about this clubnats guy is spot on

9. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Interesting lineup today. Harper leading off, Span hitting 7th

10. mick - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

see, I told you Harper lead offha ha ha ha

11. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I did not sleep well last night I was so livid… Yeah 222, NL and I started 'screaming' the same thing…Didnt care 1 but about Rendon playing in so many straight games, he should have been bought in… Idk why DJ keeps going to C Tracy… He is a waste of a roster spot… But once again yesterday, we had our chances and didnt take advantage of them…

12. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM

David – where do you see the line up?

13. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Never mind DP – I saw it… Figured he would switch Desi and Rendon too…Not sure I like Harper leading off… But we will see..

14. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

It's on twitter, MrsB

15. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

You are talking to someone who is under 30 and doesn't know how to use twitter…I know, I know…

16. Joe Seamhead - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Harper is 2 for 18 with six strikeouts in five games and hitting .196 (9 for 46) with one homer and six RBIs in July. I'm not sure that I understand this either when looking at the above stats.

17. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You don't base your line-up on the past five games. Harper walks more than anyone else on the team and is the best hitter.

18. Scott Margenau - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I've been thinking about the LH bats. It's true, the zone is bigger on FX which is whack, but it is what it is. Our righties are batting MUCH HIGHER avg than lefties…which makes me think: "why have so mant lhb in the lineup?" The right vs lefty stuff doesn't hold up. Our righties hit higher vs righties anyways. So: Move Bryce to center. Hairston to left. Rendon to 3rd, Zimmerman to first. Add another righty bat ASAP. Span needs to be traded. As a def n pitch built team that OF bat is critical. If I see span as lead off I will go bonkers! Ugh!

19. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

if I am not mistaken, we are due to face Kershaw, Greinke, and Ryu next weekend.

20. Scott Margenau - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Why do u think Harper is our best hitter? He's not. No stats say so. He's a hole va lhp too.

21. Section 222 - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Check out this article about the "lefty strike zone." Sounds like hitters are aware of this. Someone send it to Bryce? I like blowing up the lineup. The team is in a funk. Might as well try something.

22. Joe Seamhead - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

WODL, .196 for the month of July isn't for only five games.Don't mean to split hairs, but with a RHP starting I just find the timing curious.Davey knows best, eh?

23. David Proctor - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak 19sThe reasoning behind the #nats lineup today: highest OBP guys up top. See what happens. Simple as that.

24. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

section 222, done. just tweeted the article to bryce.

25. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I assume that the game starts at 1 today. I wonder why there is not a Game 95 entry.