Jul 14, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
|Photo by USA Today|
The Nationals have lost five of their last six games, scoring more than two runs only once in those five defeats. With one more chance to end the season's first half on a high note, Davey Johnson has decided to shake things up. Whether it works or not, he certainly deserves credit for creativity.
Johnson has Bryce Harper batting leadoff for the first time in his career and Anthony Rendon hitting second. Denard Span is still in the lineup and in center field, but he slides all the way back to seventh after hitting .208 through his first 12 games in July. He hit .235 in the month of June and now holds a season average of .255. It makes you wonder why Span wasn't pulled from the leadoff spot earlier, but here you go.
The Nats' new-look lineup will go up against Marlins' right-hander Henderson Alvarez (0-1, 5.73 ERA). The 23-year-old is making just his third start of the 2013 season and his first against a team other than the Atlanta Braves.
Pitching for the Nats is rookie Taylor Jordan (0-2, 3.45) who is making his fourth career start. He will face the Marlins for the first time after growing up in Merritt Island, Florida.
Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 869
LF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats