2013 Home Run Derby

Jul 15, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

NEW YORK — They've been holding the Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game since 1985, and they've been holding it in primetime since 1998, but tonight for the first time somebody wearing a Washington cap will be participating in the annual display of raw power.

Bryce Harper makes his Derby debut, and there's every reason to believe the Nationals' 20-year-old slugger will feel right at home in this event. He did, after all, win a similar contest as a 16-year-old amateur in 2009. And he'll have a familiar face pitching to him: his father, Ron.

Harper faces stiff competition in the Derby, most notably Orioles masher Chris Davis and Tigers first baseman (and defending champ) Prince Fielder, but he's got as good a shot at winning this thing as anybody else in the field.

Chase Hughes and I are both here at Citi Field to chronicle it, and we'll combine to post updates along the way on CSNwashington.com, so please be sure to check back throughout…

2013 HOME RUN DERBY
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 8 p.m. EDT
TV: ESPN
Radio: WTEM (980 AM), WWXT (92.7 FM), WWXX (94.3 FM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 88 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Prince Fielder (DET)
Yoenis Cespedes (OAK)
Chris Davis (BAL)
Robinson Cano (NYY)

1. Don - Jul 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Predictions:1. Chris Berman will annoy the truck outta my garage before the first batter even starts swinging.2. Cespedes wins.Good luck Ron Harper! (The kid is used to the big stage, not sure about the old man — pulling for him.)

2. natsfan1a - Jul 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Go, Bryce! Go, Pops!

3. sjm308 - Jul 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I picked the Cuban earlier today!

4. sjm308 - Jul 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Bryce's dad has to be nervous

5. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Don said:Predictions:1. Chris Berman will annoy the truck outta my garage before the first batter even starts swinging.2. Cespides winsCongrats, Don. 1) already is true. It happened 30 seconds into the broadcast. 2) is probably coming.

6. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I stand stay his team, but listening to Craig Kimbrel's charity work with youth, I've just become a huge Craig Kimbrel fan.

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Here we go! BRYCE

8. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I tuned in just at the right time… To see Bryce… Goooooooooo Bryce!!!!!

9. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

This is great… I'm glad Bryce got his dad to throw to him… How people can talk about him negatively, I don't get….

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM

His dad almost HBP'd him!

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Bryce beat the Oriole. Ha!

12. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM

The old man is throwing cut fastballs? No wonder the Kid is a big leaguer.

13. David Proctor - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Papa Harper was busting his son inside. He could've had way more if his dad threw good pitches. But I got the impression Harper cared more about the experience with his dad than winning anyway so…

14. A DC Wonk - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Say what you want about this "show", but this evening was the first time I've watched it in many years

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Bryce average 415 per HR vs Davis at 411

16. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM

David, not sure of there strategy but he may want them inside to pull them but Papa Harp was getting them way inside.

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Yeah Wonk… I haven't watched it in years…. I tuned in at the right time…

18. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:42 AM

19. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Interesting that Bryce's dad is pitching, and not his brother. I wonder if he gets tired throwing that much?

20. David Proctor - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM

So Harper needs 7 to get into a tiebreaker and 8 to make the finals.

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Bryce switched bats. Now swinging the gold bat!

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Bryce beat Davis which is awesome with all the bragging the B'moreons were doing.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Bryce into the Finals!

24. David Proctor - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:16 AM

He's in the finals!

25. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Bryce is in the finals…. Nice…

26. David Proctor - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Well Harper was very consistent. 8 in every round.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM

What a show by Bryce!

28. natsfan1a - Jul 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

29. natsfan1a - Jul 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Atta way, Bryce! Atta way, Pops! I recorded the derby and clicked back and forth a few times before settling in to watch it a little bit after 9 PM. That way, I was able to "rewind" to see Bryce's first round, and I was in real time when his second turn came up. (Sorry, but I just could not bring myself to watch the whole show, although I did watch the final round.) Did see some other guys take their turns as well. How about old man Cuddyer? Plus, he does a mean card trick. Didn't realize he wore #3 because of Killebrew.