Jul 15, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
NEW YORK — Bryce Harper likely has never hit ninth in his life, nor is he likely to ever hit ninth again in his life. But for one night, at least, the young Nationals slugger will find himself sitting at the very bottom of a National League All-Star lineup, selected by manager Bruce Bochy to hit ninth tomorrow at Citi Field.
Harper, who has never hit lower than seventh since arriving in the big leagues last season, obviously has never been part of a lineup as deep and talented as this. And perhaps his inexperience compared to the other NL All-Stars, dictates the 20-year-old take a back seat to his teammates for a day.
Harper has never hit lower than seventh in the major leagues, and 185 of his 190 career starts have come hitting either second, third or fifth.
Harper also will be slightly out of position in center field, though he spent much of his rookie season there for the Nationals.
The full NL lineup, as announced by Bochy (manager of the defending World Series champion Giants):Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall