Jul 15, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
NEW YORK — Bryce Harper likely has never hit ninth in his life, nor is he likely to ever hit ninth again in his life. But for one night, at least, the young Nationals slugger will find himself sitting at the very bottom of a National League All-Star lineup, selected by manager Bruce Bochy to hit ninth tomorrow at Citi Field.
Harper, who has never hit lower than seventh since arriving in the big leagues last season, obviously has never been part of a lineup as deep and talented as this. And perhaps his inexperience compared to the other NL All-Stars, dictates the 20-year-old take a back seat to his teammates for a day.
Harper has never hit lower than seventh in the major leagues, and 185 of his 190 career starts have come hitting either second, third or fifth.
Harper also will be slightly out of position in center field, though he spent much of his rookie season there for the Nationals.
The full NL lineup, as announced by Bochy (manager of the defending World Series champion Giants):Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies