Jul 16, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Though he continues to meet with both Nationals and Orioles ownership about their ongoing television rights dispute, MLB commissioner Bud Selig offered no evidence today that substantive progress has been made or that a resolution is expected anytime soon.
Speaking with members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America at his annual All-Star lunch, Selig expressed optimism that some arrangement will be worked out between the two dueling franchises but gave no concrete reason why he believes it will happen.
“I’ve spent a lot of time talking to both clubs, even very, very recently,” Selig said. “And we continue to do that, and hope we’ll have some type of resolution. We’ll continue to work with that. It really is a difficult situation, but I’m always hopeful we can work out a resolution, and we are working on that right now.”
The ongoing dispute stems from a provision in the Nationals’ contract with MASN (the majority of which is owned by the Orioles) that allows them to renegotiate their annual rights fee every five years. The renegotiating period took place prior to the 2012 season, but the two sides were unable to agree to a monetary figure.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed