Jul 16, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Though he continues to meet with both Nationals and Orioles ownership about their ongoing television rights dispute, MLB commissioner Bud Selig offered no evidence today that substantive progress has been made or that a resolution is expected anytime soon.
Speaking with members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America at his annual All-Star lunch, Selig expressed optimism that some arrangement will be worked out between the two dueling franchises but gave no concrete reason why he believes it will happen.
“I’ve spent a lot of time talking to both clubs, even very, very recently,” Selig said. “And we continue to do that, and hope we’ll have some type of resolution. We’ll continue to work with that. It really is a difficult situation, but I’m always hopeful we can work out a resolution, and we are working on that right now.”
The ongoing dispute stems from a provision in the Nationals’ contract with MASN (the majority of which is owned by the Orioles) that allows them to renegotiate their annual rights fee every five years. The renegotiating period took place prior to the 2012 season, but the two sides were unable to agree to a monetary figure.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs