Jul 17, 2013, 3:25 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: This All-Star Game featured as much young offensive talent as you'll ever see on one field at one time. So, naturally, pitching dominated the affair, especially on the American League side. Ten AL hurlers combined to hand the NL only its third shutout loss in All-Star history, allowing only three hits in the process: one by Carlos Beltran, one by David Wright, one by Paul Goldschmidt. The AL lineup, meanwhile, managed to squeeze out three runs, getting a sac fly from Jose Bautista in the fourth, an RBI fielder's choice by J.J. Hardy in the fifth and an RBI double by Jason Kipnis in the eighth. Bryce Harper, the lone Nationals player appearing in the game, went 0-for-2. Mariano Rivera, making his final All-Star appearance, pitched a 1-2-3 inning of relief. Unfortunately, it was the eighth inning, with manager Jim Leyland not wanting to risk there not being a bottom of the ninth. Joe Nathan got that honor, earning the save and snapping the NL's three-game All-Star winning streak. So, for the first time in four years, Game 1 (and potentially Game 7) of the World Series will be played in an American League ballpark. Sorry, Nats fans.
Nationals highlight: Harper's night was fairly uneventful, though he didn't exactly have favorable matchups at the plate againstRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury