Jul 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
By Steve Roney
The past week may have featured fewer actual games thanks to the All-Star break, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been significant movement in the rankings. The Rays and Dodgers made moves towards the top, while the Royals continue to fall off. The Cardinals, though, continue to hold the No. 1 spot, buoyed by their six All-Stars.
Here's how Nationals Insider Mark Zuckerman, Nats writer/producer Chase Hughes and I see the rest of the league shaking out as the second half of the season begins…
1. St. Louis Cardinals (57-36; LW: 2) – Hughes: At this rate they will have almost half their lineup receiving N.L. MVP votes at the end of the season.
2. Boston Red Sox (58-39; LW: 1) – Roney: Not to harp, but Ben Cherington just traded for another reliever (Matt Thornton). Not saying it'll be an unmitigated disaster, but the trades for Andrew Bailey, Mark Melancon, and Joel Hanrahan haven't exactly turned out as hoped.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September