Jul 20, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
After another throwing session cut short due to a stiff back, Ross Detwiler appears to be several weeks away from returning to the Nationals rotation, leaving the club in a short-term bind that could become a long-term bind if this injury lingers.
Detwiler tried to throw off a bullpen mound this afternoon but cut the session short after about 25 pitches when his back stiffened up again.
“He’s still not quite right,” manager Davey Johnson said. “So he’s going to have to wait a couple of days before trying to get back up on the mound.”
The Nationals originally hoped to have Detwiler (who has been on the disabled list since July 4) back for Tuesday night’s game against the Pirates, letting him slide into the No. 5 slot in their rotation coming out of the All-Star break. Once it became clear he wouldn’t be ready in time for that, the Nationals adjusted their plan to have the left-hander start one of the games in Friday’s doubleheader against the Mets.
But that option now is out of the question, according to Johnson.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip