Game 97: Dodgers at Nats

Jul 20, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Davey Johnson intended to open the second half of the season last night with the same lineup he used to close out the first half on Sunday: with Bryce Harper leading off and Denard Span down in the 7-spot. But after Adam LaRoche came down with the flu, Johnson had to adjust and use Harper as his cleanup hitter against the Dodgers.

That look obviously didn't produce much offensively and resulted in a frustrating, 3-2 loss, so Davey proclaimed afterward he planned to go back to the Harper-as-leadoff-man lineup tonight (assuming LaRoche was ready to return). "I do like Harper leading off," the manager said. "I think that frees him up. He's usually on base."

Unfortunately, LaRoche remains out once again, so it's back to the same lineup from last night. We'll have to see if it can mount a challenge against Zack Greinke, and if Gio Gonzalez can out-duel the Dodgers right-hander.

Updates to come…

LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Isolated storms, 90 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
LF Bryce Harper

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Tracy better get it going tonight.

2. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

*sigh*. Hopefully it wil be a different result with the same line up tonight while I'm at the game…Can Lombo not play 1st????

3. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

For those of you going to the game, I will be at the picnic tables behind 312/313 rather early. We want to get the Davey bobblehead . . . although if this game goes like last night it may be on the back shelf along with Nyjer Morgan. I'm wearing an easily identifiable t-shirt if anyone wants to stop by and say hello.ArVAFan

4. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ArVA–if you get an extra bobblehead I will take it off your hands. I never get bobbleheads as I don't get off work until six, and will be lucky if I get to the game by 7:30. I will be in sec 321.

5. natsfan1a - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I won't be there tonight (other obligations) but will be tomorrow. Stay cool out there.

6. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Chad Tracy sells for $0 on my fantasy picks. I still ain't buying… :) Sorry.

7. Doc - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

There were a bunch of "worst AB's" last night, but Ramos' with the bases stacked was for me the worst. He mostly swung at pitches out of the zone. I'm starting to think that these guys will never learn—or learn when it's too late!

8. SonnyG10 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I was at the game last night, suffering in the heat along with Strasburg and everyone else. It was so frustrating to have the bases loaded with no outs and not score a single run. Blimey!It seemed to me that Strawsburg's arm motion was slightly stronger when throwing his 4 seam fast ball, like he was putting greater effort into it. Did anyone else notice this? I'm wondering if he is letting the batters know when the hard one is coming.

9. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM

10. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Summer time flus are the worst… Seriously hope Adam is inhaling fluids like no other… So sick of Tracy… Why didnt we keep Flores???!!!???

11. hiramhover - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Cannot wait to see that Greinke- Tracy match up. Should be an epic battle ! Right?Greinke won't know what hit him.

12. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hey! Maybe Greinke will hit Tracy! Then he can visit the bases!

13. Just wonderin' - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Gio's 2013 slash line: .156/.206/.281Tracy's 2013 slash line: .149/.187/.276Why is Gio batting 9th?

14. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

When you don't have a bench, you don't have margin for injury in a marathon season…you you aint got a bench you aint got nothincurse of the beast

15. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

16. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Those are the same guy, NL.

17. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Saw on Twitter that a Nats scout was looking at this guy.http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindad01.shtmland this guy,http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rasmuco01.shtmlBoth lefty bats. Could mean nothing. Could be a 3-way trade…I am worried about Adam LaR.

18. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

19. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

wow…Adam Lind with a .305 ba, rasmus with a .331 obp..i was imagining having someone coming off the bench batting over .200….Can't come too soon.

20. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Curse of the Beastcan not end until we stop playing his song.Take on me.

21. 3on2out - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The good news is Chad can't throw the ball into the stands playing 1st base. I have tried to stay positive but having Tracy in the lineup two days running truly tests that old Rudyard Kipling challenge:"If you can meet with triumph and disasterAnd treat those two imposters just the same…"

22. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I'm as positive as it comes and Tracy in the lineup makes me sick.

23. 3on2out - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Remember everyone: Section 222's quartet is singing the National Anthem tonight. Let's give them a genuine Nats Insider welcome!

24. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.I'm talking about you, Chad Tracy.

25. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Well it's been reported that Rizzo is looking to sign a LH bat. I'm not sure what else can be done right now if ALR is sick.

26. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Gosh, the White Sox are a bad team. Rios got benched for "not hustling" yesterday. You think he is counting the minutes until he's traded?

27. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

@222: I'm in absentia tonight, but from the roof of our house, here's my cheer for your quartet's anthem performance tonight:"YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!"

28. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I know the Braves are winning, but I don't care. I don't care at all what the Braves do anymore…too stressful. I'm just going to watch the Nationals and if they play well, they'll be where they want to be. If they play like they've been playing…well, they'll be watching the Braves choke in October.

29. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Game tied at 1 in the 9 th. bases loaded Tracy is up. He gets beane in the BOYS ( man parts ) drives in the winning run and can't play for the rest of the year. IT'S A WIN WIN. Go nats

30. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Go Nats!!

31. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Proctor I too dislike the Barves. But don't hate on them because they are good and we stink.

32. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

LOL SWM. Your scenario sounds good to me.

33. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Maholm just gave up a grand slam to Rios. LOL! Guess Rios decided he REALLY wants to be traded.

34. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Rios with the GS and the sox lead the braves, 5-4…we need all the help we can get and the phillies lost.

35. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Oh wow I didn't see that Davey said LaRoche could sit again tomorrow too. Jeez. Well Kershaw is pitching, so I guess it doesn't hurt to sit him. But still…

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Braves aren't good…. We just aren't playing to the level that we should… If we were, no one would be talking about them…Yeah DP, I stopped paying attention to the Braves… Doesn't matter what they do… It's all about the Nats…They better get their heads out of the sand and play like they should be…Tracy in the line up… Unh… But that just shows how short our bench is… I'd rather T Moore have been called up last night…

37. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

lol SWM, that is funny!David Proctor said…I think this team is cursed this year. Everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong. And then some.makes me wonder…Cubs curse involved a goat…hee hee…you don't think Rizzo…lol?

38. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

if Braves are not good, my God, whats that make us?

39. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

some good news…Phil Wood said today that all 8 baseball scouts he talks with all said that this season is the anamoly for Nats and that they really are a 98 win club

40. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

We are under-achieving…. This team needs an in your face manager… Big reason why i miss Bo Porter…

41. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

MrsB loves the Natsexactly what I posted this morningneed a Billy Martin too kick some of these softies in their ass

42. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM

a Bobby Knight type coach would be just what the doctor ordered

43. nats guy - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

David,Actually Mike Rizzo is Mr. Applegate. Somebody needs to check his feet.

44. We are the Nationals - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Here's a thought for tonight's lineup sans Tracy…CF Denard Span3B Anthony Rendon1B Ryan ZimmermanLF Bryce HarperRF Jayson WerthSS Ian Desmond2B Steve LombordozziC Wilson RamosLHP Gio Gonzalez

45. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

nats guy…lol

46. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

People love to talk about Morse leaving… Naw, the biggest loss besides 1 of the lefties last year was Bo leaving… Where Davey was laid back, Bo was in your face… This team needs someone who is gonna light a fire under their butts…

47. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wish we had Showalter or Matheny type. Several of the younger, newer coaches are doing well with their teams.

48. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Zimmerman has never played 1B in his career. I'm not sure why people think you can just move him over there and it'll be okay. It doesn't work like that. If long-term you want to move him there, okay, he can work on it during spring training and such…but you can't just move him there mid-season.

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

No thanks to Showalter… He has had his share of mismanagement in games too… But a lot of his decisions are saved becuz his team hasn't faced the injury bug and becuz everyone is having great years…But I like Girarldi … Or someone younger….

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Understandably Tracy has to be in the lineup…. Lack of depth… Which is why I said I would have rathered they call Moore back last night and plug him in…Tracy shouldn't be anyone's fall back plan….

51. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I think it's gonna be Knorr

52. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

DP, they did it with Rendon..its not like he played alot of 2b and he looks fine there, not saying its time to move Zim to 1b just yet but these guys are serious athletes who can move here or there and make it work…he sure can't be worse than Chad "Dick" Tracy.

53. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That's just not true Paul. Just because it worked with Rendon doesn't mean anyone can just move anywhere and make it work. It's not that simple, I promise you.

54. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Sox are up big on the Braves. Braves were up 4-0 now it's 9-4 White Sox. I know I said I didn't care…

55. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

DP, Adam Dunn played 1b so don't tell me Zim could not move there even if it were in a pinch like tonight or next week if he had to do it…not advocating for it but just my opinion that it could be done and there is little chance he would be worse than Tracy…we can agree to disagree.

56. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

"Braves aren't good…."================I keep reading here that the Braves are 'flawed' or that they won all their games early, etc. But the reality is that the Braves are third in the NL in runs scored per game (4.39). In fact, given that the Rockies are second with 4.40 and play half their games at elevation, it's probably fair to say that the Braves have the second most potent offense in the NL. Moreover, the Braves are second in the NL in runs allowed per game, at 3.55, trailing only the Pirates. Note that Braves average more runs scored than runs allowed, which is — rather obviously — a key to winning games. The Nats, meanwhile, continue to prevent runs reasonably well, averaging 3.90 runs allowed per game (5th best in the NL, ahead of the Dodgers), but still rank 14th in the NL in runs scored (3.74). Given that the Nats are averaging more runs allowed than runs scored, they're quite fortunate to have a .500 record. But is .500 sustainable? As much as I'd like to believe they can start scoring more runs, if they don't their winning percentage is going to slip below .500 and stay there. I'm not trying to be doom-and-gloom, but you have to be objective — one might call it 'reality based' — in looking at the numbers. The only thing that gives me some solace is that the Phillies have an even poorer differential, scoring 3.96/game, but giving up 4.37.

57. jeeves - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I will never understand why there is so little love for Eury Perez. He is good defensively, apparently has a good arm, is very fast, and hits consistently. Needs to walk more but still gets on base a lot. Instead we have Tracy in the lineup. Oh wait, they don't play the same position. A little imagination would help, something I have accused Davey of not having.

58. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I'm confused…you want Eury Perez to play 1B?

59. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I think it's going to be Knorr also. He raised a lot of these babies. And they were winners with him. If you look at the dugout , he is the one who is passing along info, greeting them when they come in, patting on the back, getting in faces. Maybe Chad will get hot tonight?? And about Lombo- he has been put down , called names , made fun of. That kid will do anything for this team. He may not be the most talented person in the room, but I will take his work ethic and Natitude any day of the week. At one point he was our emergency catcher, too!

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My new motto #LosingIsNoLongerAnOption.I dont care how, we simply have to win all series, thus tge option of losing today or tomorrow has been removedfrom the possibilities.

61. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Kilgore tweeted that Mattheus has been hitting 95 in his rehab assignment.

62. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

David- who goes? Abad?

63. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Or does Mattheus take the spot of Big O, who takes the spot of Det?

64. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Taylor Jordan is taking the spot of Det, I thought. Ross O is stepping in because we need 6 starters (there's a doubleheader). It's hard to say who goes. I think Davey likes having both Abad and Krol in the bullpen.

65. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Byron Kerr ‏@masnKerr 1mopposing team shagging fly balls in outfield during BP, please dont pump fake throwing baseballs to kids, not cool..everLooks like the Dodgers are d*cks

66. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Abad not used much. And if you have been watching, yes , the Dodgers can be less than classy.

67. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

wow really? to kids?

68. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM

can we actually send down abad? he still has options?

69. pedrocerrano - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Davey Johnson IS a bobblehead, nodding obediently as hitting slumps rage on.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Good first after the walk for Gio.No excuses lets start moving the line.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Braves lost

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM

And on cue Span rolls over to 2nd.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM

At least pulled one more inside, but still Span needs to get hits.

74. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Span and his weak ground balls to 2b are nauseating.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Rendon on lets start the line moving.

76. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Braves and Phillies lost.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Keep the line moving.

78. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Espinosa's recent box scores haven't sold Mike Rizzo. "He’s played well, you’re saying? Because he’s got some hits?

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Take advantage of Greinke in the 1st. He is missing his spots by a big margin. Watch his mistake pitches.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Now score some of the line.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I hate 3-0 swings when a walk pushes 2 into scoring position. Take what the game gives you with 1 out or no outs. Get aggressive with 2 outs.

82. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM

That was ball 4.

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Boooooo that was high, or tap foul.

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I can't believe the ump gave a pitcher who can't find the strike zone a 2-1 borderline pitch in Werth's AB. That is crap.

85. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

86. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

This is unbelievable. You have to TRY to be this futile offensively.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Desi swings at a ball.This guy is throwing balls and we have no patients.He would walk them if they would let them.

88. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Just load the bases and you can shut out the Nats. Everytime.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If there is any good news, Greinke threw 23 pitches. Other than that, it's the SOSDD.

90. Rabbit34 - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

These guys are beyond stink.

91. karlkolchak - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

There's your great offensive "turnaround." Instead of a K or GIDP with the bases loaded, two pop ups. Outstanding.

92. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

If we had league average pitching instead of Stras, Gio and Zim, how bad would we be? I shudder to think.

93. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

no good news other than Giothis group just stinks, at least Werth was mad…some one needs to break some bats…they look like pus—- now!!!this is not nauseating …how can any one feel sorry for this stiffs

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

MNF, Werth swung at a pitch that was close enough. It should've been a 3-1 count instead of a 2-2. Chad Fairchild bailed out Greinke in the Werth AB. Was Davey chirping from the dugout?

95. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

the NL got it right, Ian is no all star…I feel for Gio, Stras and JZim, they deserve better than this

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

mick, that part of the order believes in accountability of themselves. Guess who was on deck? CHAD TRACY

97. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

David…they would be behind the Astros, no doubt…this is one of the worst hitting teams in years

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Plate discipline they are not showing nor is it being encouraged by Davey or Eck.We are only caliing for plate discipline no one in the dugout is for sure.

99. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

and after a futile offensive performance last night, what does our manager do? keeps the same line-up!You have to do something different, Davey or just hand in your hat and bobble-head and give Randy an opportunity.

100. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Gutless beyond gutless. The door opens and we. Cant ever walk thrum it. Glad fans are boo . I hate span

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

mick, you are wrong about Ian. You can't expect him to go 2-4 every night.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

With average pitxhing we would be the Marlins or a little better.

103. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ghost…there is no defense for that inning, it happen last night as well and I just can not put it on Tracey…clutch players step up and right now…I am hard press to find a clutch offensive player on this team

104. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Thanks nick. Your right Desmond is average at best. Zimmerman and harp. Forget everybody else at the plate. I'm just sick sick sick

105. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Ghost…maybe i am being hard on him, but I expect ONE hit with bases loaded 2 nights in a row…I do not think that is unreasonable and in fact, all ian had to to was drive the ball last night and 1 run comes in with less than 2 outs

106. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

"Desmond is average at best"LOL.There are probably 25 teams who would take Desmond in an instant.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

mick, the ump screwed Jayson on that 2-1 pitch. Greinke can't find the F****** strike zone. He didn't earn a borderline call.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The second strike looked like a strike to me. The 4th probably a ball if a strike he couldnt hit right. Just tap foul or take.

109. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Helen Keller is up

110. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Why couldn't Tracy do that last night?

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

No one on of course a hit.

112. We are the Nationals - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Tracy with a double!?! holy cow!

113. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Hahahahaa. When n is Helen Keller hobble. Head night

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My buddy Scott Jackson is the guy with the Puig face they just showed on TV. That guy logs more miles traveling to see games and he's an enlisted man! The Army must be paying him well.

115. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Trade him. Now. His value will never be higher. Before he gets picked off second.

116. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Ghost… so much for tracey affecting Ian, lol

117. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

why does Tracy always seem to do this? kind of funny, just wish he was consistent.

118. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Secret wasian man soon the home attendance will dip below 25,000 and then by August back to 2008 levels.. what is sickening…DC is alive to support this team and the Nats are doing everything they can to destroy the fan base!!

119. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Pitcher and span inking over. Ramos not hitting for @#%*$ either

120. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I would've let Gio swing there.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I don't give a damn if Tracy just hit… I still hope we cut his bum self…

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Risp 0 for 3 with no positive outs. Gio bunts a positive out

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Chad Tracy with a double with nobody on base. Not shocking as he has 5 hits all year with runners on base and a .147 BA.

124. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Well…at least he made solid contact?I don't know.

125. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Good ponit nick. I love ledos also. Span on 3. And 0. My lord somebody go get Davey outran there now. Stupid is as stupid does.

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Who the heck green lighted the lightest hitting batter in a 3-0 count? What the H-E-Double L is going on here with Span?

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

0 for 4 RISP.Desi, werth, Ramos Span all 0-1Gio doing his job well.

128. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

SWMat some point this will affect the starting pitchers, Rizzo needs to deal some of these guys off why they have valueRed Sox came back from 2012, Nats can too!!! and Red Sox had no pitching, we at least have pitchers

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Davey is the man.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I would've had Gio swinging away. Maybe he gets a hit like Greinke. Greinke hits better than Span.

131. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

And the pitcher nearly hit a home run.

132. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

If home stand is a losing one SELL, SELL, SELL while you can

133. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Proctor hes a mob player and a slow fastball is coming and he cant drive it. Hes pathetic. 0 homers why is he swinging. Fey on base then force the stretch… and there pitcher just rips one. Can it get any worse

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Lay one over the middle with a batter with .361 average. Good call Ramos.

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Lay one over the middle with a batter with .361 average. Good call Ramos. What are you talking about?

136. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I can not believe Span as ZERO homers at this point of the season….just amazing… a lead off guy at least has to be threat once in awhile to knock it out…Span makes opposing pitchers life easy not having to worry about a gopher ball… but he is Rizzo's guy

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Ghost – Davey did… Just like he did a couple weeks ago with Jayson Werth…

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Bad play Gio ellis way inside hit him he is out and because of dead ball runner goes back to second.I am counting on umps calling it correctly. Probably a good play after all.

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The pitch to Grienke even Span could hit that pitch.

140. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

This team is making fans cuckoooo. I don't know.either ghost.

141. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I think the book on Puig is out. Soft away, hard in.

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Ghost – Davey did… Just like he did a couple weeks ago with Jayson Werth… If Davey greenlighted Span on that 3-0 maybe you all are right and Davey should turn in his jersey now.If it is Bryce, RZim, ALR, Werth, Desi with 2 outs, go for it. I don't even want Rendon swinging 3-0. You have Greinke working over-time here. Don't help him!

143. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

nice job Gio!

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I guess Puig and Adrian Gonzalez both suck. They couldn't score their guy from 3rd.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Lol Ghost – I'm not one calling for DJ's firing… But he has definitely contributed to a good # of losses…With that said, that's not the first time we have seen that this season and I doubt it's the last…

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

David Proctor said… I think the book on Puig is out. Soft away, hard in. Sort of but you want Puig to get himself out. He will expand the strike zone.

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Greinke gets a 1-1 pitch on Rendon. That wasn't a strike.

148. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Well Zimmerman has done his part this series. It's not his fault nobody can drive him in and nobody is on base for him to drive in.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM

MrsB, the Nats are now 1-10 batting .100 in 3-0 counts. The only hit belongs to ALR.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Get the line moving again. Now RISP time.

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Agreed

152. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Runners in scoring position. This inning is over.

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Come on NatsJack. The luck will turn!

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Ghost – I'm already pissed becuz of the first inning…. And this guy beside me is drunk and won't shut the hell up….And I think Greinke is getting gifts, please don't upset me anymore…

155. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Come on JW!!!

156. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Greinke gets a 1-1 pitch on Rendon. That wasn't a strike.Ghost, you are too obsessed with the zone, no ump on any level will get it right 100% of the time, anywhere on any planet…they just won't, they all even themselves out over the course of a game but if you are correct, then its up to Davey & company to make it known in an attempt to get a make-up call in the later innings, they don't do that enough IMO.p.s. the 1-1 to Rendon was close enough.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Looked like another walk to me.0-5 RISP

158. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Jayson looked like he swung at ball 4… That seemed in the dirt…

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I too am obsessed with the strike zone. Rarely the same for all pitchers.With today's technology no excuse.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Paul, Greinke is all over the place. He hasn't been throwing strikes. The ump does not need to help him. He wanted to punch Werth out on the 2-2 pitch as you could see the body language.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Again… Swinging on 3-0…

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It was ball 4

163. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Werth and desi ughh

164. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

BRB going to punch a hole in my wall. Not really, but jesus this is maddening.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Desi flailing at a ball in the damn dirt… That was a ball… Good lord, where is the patience…Grienke isn't doing anything, from where I am sitting, and we continue to help him out…+{€|€{€!|€|>{>]€]++\=\=\+]^|%****

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It like ball 4 to Ian.Are my eyes just that bad tonight?

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

This is just PATHETIC. Only good news is Greinke is being worked.

168. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Just laughable at this point.

169. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

MNF, that's a different issue, to me the zone is the zone, it should be the same for all pitchers… I know that's not reality but it should be but to have some kind of robot or computer take the place of a human being, that ain't happening.

170. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

so Ian reaches on that 3-2 pitch…. ??

171. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

6 men left on base. Ughh

172. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Zimmterman needs to stop with the singles is gotta be homerin or bust. Its our only hope.

173. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Not to pile on Denard Span, because he's hardly the biggest goat this game, but him flying out to center on that 3-0 pitch was hilarious. What a turd.At least Rizzo has got some incredible tape from this week for Desmond's contract negotiations.

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM

SWM, how's about Span gets on base for him?

175. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM

very down on Desmond right now…not prime time when he needs to be…clearly the NL got it right, no way in hell is he an all star…3 times in 2 games he has let his team down, although he is not the only one.I think i have seen enough of span as well…Shark is great fielder and although he bats 100, he at least will homer now and thenRizzo can really rebuild this team for 2014 now…i really think he should trade off ALR, Span, Tracey, and Soriano, Nats could get some really good prospects for next year..why not?

176. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

How frustrated must these starting pitcher be when they get absolutely no run support game after game after game?

177. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

look at the Red Sox, case and point…

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Those hand-covers for head first sliders is smart.

179. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

phil…that is a great point…at some point it divides a team…this is why Rizzo needs to to make moves while he has some leverage

180. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM

feel like i am watching a soccer game…

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Nice pitch on Ethier.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Great battle that Gio won…

183. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM

knowing Davey he will blame Gio if he gives up 1 run like he implied Stras did last night…Davey just wants out, I can feel it…he shows no passion or excitement for the game like he use too. just a damn shame because he was a great manager

184. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

yea, phil, good point, Gio needs to kick some dirt on these so called batters and get in their grills, this is a pathetic offense…bench some people old man and let some others give it a go…90+ games is enough of a sample size.

185. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Gio is an all star

186. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

paul…try 97 games….Rizzo needs to deal now to get Nats back on track in 2014…I know it can be done

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

mick, we agree there. I think Gio, Stras and JZim were All Stars as well as Desi. Bochy showed no respect.

188. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Every major league team passed on H-Rod when the Cubs put him on waivers ten days ago. It took Cubs GM Epstein three weeks to figure out what it took Rizzo nearly three seasons.

189. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Of course Tracy is 2/2. Of course.

190. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

mick, that's why i said 90+, didn't know the exact count but i hear you, am usually much more optimistic but am having trouble lately…hah! chad does it again!!

191. We are the Nationals - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

2-2!

192. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

FP just said if your patient, you will get yourself in a good hitting count verse Grienke…3-0 on 2 occasions tonight is a pretty good hitting count, don't ya think???

193. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I know it's early in the game but I pull Tracy here for a pinch-runner here. Davey won't but I'm playing for a run here and get Bernadina stealing.

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Davey will have Tracy starting tomorrow…..

195. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

phil… great postthat is the one thing that scares me about Rizzo leading this team in the future, lol

196. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Ghost agreed

197. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Did you see Fairchild on Ramos. He wanted to call a strike.

198. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Chad may be our starting 1b for the rest of the year, now…every time it looks like he's done, he gets a key hit or two…from now on he's Morris, but not sure he has 9 lives, probably down to like 2-3.

199. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Steve M, that's already known. Davey said he didn't think LaRoche would be good for tomorrow.

200. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Can this team do one of the easier things? BUNT