Game 97: Dodgers at Nats

Jul 20, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Davey Johnson intended to open the second half of the season last night with the same lineup he used to close out the first half on Sunday: with Bryce Harper leading off and Denard Span down in the 7-spot. But after Adam LaRoche came down with the flu, Johnson had to adjust and use Harper as his cleanup hitter against the Dodgers.

That look obviously didn't produce much offensively and resulted in a frustrating, 3-2 loss, so Davey proclaimed afterward he planned to go back to the Harper-as-leadoff-man lineup tonight (assuming LaRoche was ready to return). "I do like Harper leading off," the manager said. "I think that frees him up. He's usually on base."

Unfortunately, LaRoche remains out once again, so it's back to the same lineup from last night. We'll have to see if it can mount a challenge against Zack Greinke, and if Gio Gonzalez can out-duel the Dodgers right-hander.

Updates to come…

LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Isolated storms, 90 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF

CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
LF Bryce Harper

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Tracy better get it going tonight.

2. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

*sigh*. Hopefully it wil be a different result with the same line up tonight while I'm at the game…Can Lombo not play 1st????

3. c715e5d6-9d22-11e1-a89a-000f20980440 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

For those of you going to the game, I will be at the picnic tables behind 312/313 rather early. We want to get the Davey bobblehead . . . although if this game goes like last night it may be on the back shelf along with Nyjer Morgan. I'm wearing an easily identifiable t-shirt if anyone wants to stop by and say hello.ArVAFan

4. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ArVA–if you get an extra bobblehead I will take it off your hands. I never get bobbleheads as I don't get off work until six, and will be lucky if I get to the game by 7:30. I will be in sec 321.

5. natsfan1a - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I won't be there tonight (other obligations) but will be tomorrow. Stay cool out there.

6. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Chad Tracy sells for $0 on my fantasy picks. I still ain't buying… :) Sorry.

7. Doc - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

There were a bunch of "worst AB's" last night, but Ramos' with the bases stacked was for me the worst. He mostly swung at pitches out of the zone. I'm starting to think that these guys will never learn—or learn when it's too late!

8. SonnyG10 - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I was at the game last night, suffering in the heat along with Strasburg and everyone else. It was so frustrating to have the bases loaded with no outs and not score a single run. Blimey!It seemed to me that Strawsburg's arm motion was slightly stronger when throwing his 4 seam fast ball, like he was putting greater effort into it. Did anyone else notice this? I'm wondering if he is letting the batters know when the hard one is coming.

9. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM

10. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Summer time flus are the worst… Seriously hope Adam is inhaling fluids like no other… So sick of Tracy… Why didnt we keep Flores???!!!???

11. hiramhover - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Cannot wait to see that Greinke- Tracy match up. Should be an epic battle ! Right?Greinke won't know what hit him.

12. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hey! Maybe Greinke will hit Tracy! Then he can visit the bases!

13. Just wonderin' - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Gio's 2013 slash line: .156/.206/.281Tracy's 2013 slash line: .149/.187/.276Why is Gio batting 9th?

14. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

When you don't have a bench, you don't have margin for injury in a marathon season…you you aint got a bench you aint got nothincurse of the beast

15. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

16. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Those are the same guy, NL.

17. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Saw on Twitter that a Nats scout was looking at this guy.http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindad01.shtmland this guy,http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rasmuco01.shtmlBoth lefty bats. Could mean nothing. Could be a 3-way trade…I am worried about Adam LaR.

18. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

19. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

wow…Adam Lind with a .305 ba, rasmus with a .331 obp..i was imagining having someone coming off the bench batting over .200….Can't come too soon.

20. jeffwx - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Curse of the Beastcan not end until we stop playing his song.Take on me.

21. 3on2out - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM

The good news is Chad can't throw the ball into the stands playing 1st base. I have tried to stay positive but having Tracy in the lineup two days running truly tests that old Rudyard Kipling challenge:"If you can meet with triumph and disasterAnd treat those two imposters just the same…"

22. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I'm as positive as it comes and Tracy in the lineup makes me sick.

23. 3on2out - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Remember everyone: Section 222's quartet is singing the National Anthem tonight. Let's give them a genuine Nats Insider welcome!

24. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.I'm talking about you, Chad Tracy.

25. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Well it's been reported that Rizzo is looking to sign a LH bat. I'm not sure what else can be done right now if ALR is sick.

26. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Gosh, the White Sox are a bad team. Rios got benched for "not hustling" yesterday. You think he is counting the minutes until he's traded?

27. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

@222: I'm in absentia tonight, but from the roof of our house, here's my cheer for your quartet's anthem performance tonight:"YAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!"

28. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I know the Braves are winning, but I don't care. I don't care at all what the Braves do anymore…too stressful. I'm just going to watch the Nationals and if they play well, they'll be where they want to be. If they play like they've been playing…well, they'll be watching the Braves choke in October.

29. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Game tied at 1 in the 9 th. bases loaded Tracy is up. He gets beane in the BOYS ( man parts ) drives in the winning run and can't play for the rest of the year. IT'S A WIN WIN. Go nats

30. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Go Nats!!

31. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Proctor I too dislike the Barves. But don't hate on them because they are good and we stink.

32. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

LOL SWM. Your scenario sounds good to me.

33. NatsLady - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Maholm just gave up a grand slam to Rios. LOL! Guess Rios decided he REALLY wants to be traded.

34. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Rios with the GS and the sox lead the braves, 5-4…we need all the help we can get and the phillies lost.

35. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Oh wow I didn't see that Davey said LaRoche could sit again tomorrow too. Jeez. Well Kershaw is pitching, so I guess it doesn't hurt to sit him. But still…

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Braves aren't good…. We just aren't playing to the level that we should… If we were, no one would be talking about them…Yeah DP, I stopped paying attention to the Braves… Doesn't matter what they do… It's all about the Nats…They better get their heads out of the sand and play like they should be…Tracy in the line up… Unh… But that just shows how short our bench is… I'd rather T Moore have been called up last night…

37. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

lol SWM, that is funny!David Proctor said…I think this team is cursed this year. Everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong. And then some.makes me wonder…Cubs curse involved a goat…hee hee…you don't think Rizzo…lol?

38. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

if Braves are not good, my God, whats that make us?

39. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

some good news…Phil Wood said today that all 8 baseball scouts he talks with all said that this season is the anamoly for Nats and that they really are a 98 win club

40. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

We are under-achieving…. This team needs an in your face manager… Big reason why i miss Bo Porter…

41. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

MrsB loves the Natsexactly what I posted this morningneed a Billy Martin too kick some of these softies in their ass

42. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:25 PM

a Bobby Knight type coach would be just what the doctor ordered

43. nats guy - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

David,Actually Mike Rizzo is Mr. Applegate. Somebody needs to check his feet.

44. We are the Nationals - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Here's a thought for tonight's lineup sans Tracy…CF Denard Span3B Anthony Rendon1B Ryan ZimmermanLF Bryce HarperRF Jayson WerthSS Ian Desmond2B Steve LombordozziC Wilson RamosLHP Gio Gonzalez

45. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM

nats guy…lol

46. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

People love to talk about Morse leaving… Naw, the biggest loss besides 1 of the lefties last year was Bo leaving… Where Davey was laid back, Bo was in your face… This team needs someone who is gonna light a fire under their butts…

47. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wish we had Showalter or Matheny type. Several of the younger, newer coaches are doing well with their teams.

48. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Zimmerman has never played 1B in his career. I'm not sure why people think you can just move him over there and it'll be okay. It doesn't work like that. If long-term you want to move him there, okay, he can work on it during spring training and such…but you can't just move him there mid-season.

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

No thanks to Showalter… He has had his share of mismanagement in games too… But a lot of his decisions are saved becuz his team hasn't faced the injury bug and becuz everyone is having great years…But I like Girarldi … Or someone younger….

50. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Understandably Tracy has to be in the lineup…. Lack of depth… Which is why I said I would have rathered they call Moore back last night and plug him in…Tracy shouldn't be anyone's fall back plan….

51. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I think it's gonna be Knorr

52. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

DP, they did it with Rendon..its not like he played alot of 2b and he looks fine there, not saying its time to move Zim to 1b just yet but these guys are serious athletes who can move here or there and make it work…he sure can't be worse than Chad "Dick" Tracy.

53. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That's just not true Paul. Just because it worked with Rendon doesn't mean anyone can just move anywhere and make it work. It's not that simple, I promise you.

54. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Sox are up big on the Braves. Braves were up 4-0 now it's 9-4 White Sox. I know I said I didn't care…

55. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:45 PM

DP, Adam Dunn played 1b so don't tell me Zim could not move there even if it were in a pinch like tonight or next week if he had to do it…not advocating for it but just my opinion that it could be done and there is little chance he would be worse than Tracy…we can agree to disagree.

56. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

"Braves aren't good…."================I keep reading here that the Braves are 'flawed' or that they won all their games early, etc. But the reality is that the Braves are third in the NL in runs scored per game (4.39). In fact, given that the Rockies are second with 4.40 and play half their games at elevation, it's probably fair to say that the Braves have the second most potent offense in the NL. Moreover, the Braves are second in the NL in runs allowed per game, at 3.55, trailing only the Pirates. Note that Braves average more runs scored than runs allowed, which is — rather obviously — a key to winning games. The Nats, meanwhile, continue to prevent runs reasonably well, averaging 3.90 runs allowed per game (5th best in the NL, ahead of the Dodgers), but still rank 14th in the NL in runs scored (3.74). Given that the Nats are averaging more runs allowed than runs scored, they're quite fortunate to have a .500 record. But is .500 sustainable? As much as I'd like to believe they can start scoring more runs, if they don't their winning percentage is going to slip below .500 and stay there. I'm not trying to be doom-and-gloom, but you have to be objective — one might call it 'reality based' — in looking at the numbers. The only thing that gives me some solace is that the Phillies have an even poorer differential, scoring 3.96/game, but giving up 4.37.

57. jeeves - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I will never understand why there is so little love for Eury Perez. He is good defensively, apparently has a good arm, is very fast, and hits consistently. Needs to walk more but still gets on base a lot. Instead we have Tracy in the lineup. Oh wait, they don't play the same position. A little imagination would help, something I have accused Davey of not having.

58. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I'm confused…you want Eury Perez to play 1B?

59. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I think it's going to be Knorr also. He raised a lot of these babies. And they were winners with him. If you look at the dugout , he is the one who is passing along info, greeting them when they come in, patting on the back, getting in faces. Maybe Chad will get hot tonight?? And about Lombo- he has been put down , called names , made fun of. That kid will do anything for this team. He may not be the most talented person in the room, but I will take his work ethic and Natitude any day of the week. At one point he was our emergency catcher, too!

60. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

My new motto #LosingIsNoLongerAnOption.I dont care how, we simply have to win all series, thus tge option of losing today or tomorrow has been removedfrom the possibilities.

61. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Kilgore tweeted that Mattheus has been hitting 95 in his rehab assignment.

62. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

David- who goes? Abad?

63. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Or does Mattheus take the spot of Big O, who takes the spot of Det?

64. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Taylor Jordan is taking the spot of Det, I thought. Ross O is stepping in because we need 6 starters (there's a doubleheader). It's hard to say who goes. I think Davey likes having both Abad and Krol in the bullpen.

65. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Byron Kerr ‏@masnKerr 1mopposing team shagging fly balls in outfield during BP, please dont pump fake throwing baseballs to kids, not cool..everLooks like the Dodgers are d*cks

66. baseballswami - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Abad not used much. And if you have been watching, yes , the Dodgers can be less than classy.

67. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM

wow really? to kids?

68. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM

can we actually send down abad? he still has options?

69. pedrocerrano - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Davey Johnson IS a bobblehead, nodding obediently as hitting slumps rage on.

70. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Good first after the walk for Gio.No excuses lets start moving the line.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Braves lost

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM

And on cue Span rolls over to 2nd.

73. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:18 PM

At least pulled one more inside, but still Span needs to get hits.

74. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Span and his weak ground balls to 2b are nauseating.

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Rendon on lets start the line moving.

76. Sec. 1 D, seat 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Braves and Phillies lost.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Keep the line moving.

78. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Espinosa's recent box scores haven't sold Mike Rizzo. "He’s played well, you’re saying? Because he’s got some hits?

79. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Take advantage of Greinke in the 1st. He is missing his spots by a big margin. Watch his mistake pitches.

80. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Now score some of the line.

81. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I hate 3-0 swings when a walk pushes 2 into scoring position. Take what the game gives you with 1 out or no outs. Get aggressive with 2 outs.

82. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM

That was ball 4.

83. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Boooooo that was high, or tap foul.

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I can't believe the ump gave a pitcher who can't find the strike zone a 2-1 borderline pitch in Werth's AB. That is crap.

85. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

86. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM

This is unbelievable. You have to TRY to be this futile offensively.

87. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Desi swings at a ball.This guy is throwing balls and we have no patients.He would walk them if they would let them.

88. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Just load the bases and you can shut out the Nats. Everytime.

89. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM

If there is any good news, Greinke threw 23 pitches. Other than that, it's the SOSDD.

90. Rabbit34 - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

These guys are beyond stink.

91. karlkolchak - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM

There's your great offensive "turnaround." Instead of a K or GIDP with the bases loaded, two pop ups. Outstanding.

92. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

If we had league average pitching instead of Stras, Gio and Zim, how bad would we be? I shudder to think.

93. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

no good news other than Giothis group just stinks, at least Werth was mad…some one needs to break some bats…they look like pus—- now!!!this is not nauseating …how can any one feel sorry for this stiffs

94. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

MNF, Werth swung at a pitch that was close enough. It should've been a 3-1 count instead of a 2-2. Chad Fairchild bailed out Greinke in the Werth AB. Was Davey chirping from the dugout?

95. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

the NL got it right, Ian is no all star…I feel for Gio, Stras and JZim, they deserve better than this

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

mick, that part of the order believes in accountability of themselves. Guess who was on deck? CHAD TRACY

97. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

David…they would be behind the Astros, no doubt…this is one of the worst hitting teams in years

98. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Plate discipline they are not showing nor is it being encouraged by Davey or Eck.We are only caliing for plate discipline no one in the dugout is for sure.

99. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

and after a futile offensive performance last night, what does our manager do? keeps the same line-up!You have to do something different, Davey or just hand in your hat and bobble-head and give Randy an opportunity.

100. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Gutless beyond gutless. The door opens and we. Cant ever walk thrum it. Glad fans are boo . I hate span

101. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

mick, you are wrong about Ian. You can't expect him to go 2-4 every night.

102. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

With average pitxhing we would be the Marlins or a little better.

103. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ghost…there is no defense for that inning, it happen last night as well and I just can not put it on Tracey…clutch players step up and right now…I am hard press to find a clutch offensive player on this team

104. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Thanks nick. Your right Desmond is average at best. Zimmerman and harp. Forget everybody else at the plate. I'm just sick sick sick

105. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Ghost…maybe i am being hard on him, but I expect ONE hit with bases loaded 2 nights in a row…I do not think that is unreasonable and in fact, all ian had to to was drive the ball last night and 1 run comes in with less than 2 outs

106. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

"Desmond is average at best"LOL.There are probably 25 teams who would take Desmond in an instant.

107. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

mick, the ump screwed Jayson on that 2-1 pitch. Greinke can't find the F****** strike zone. He didn't earn a borderline call.

108. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The second strike looked like a strike to me. The 4th probably a ball if a strike he couldnt hit right. Just tap foul or take.

109. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Helen Keller is up

110. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Why couldn't Tracy do that last night?

111. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

No one on of course a hit.

112. We are the Nationals - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Tracy with a double!?! holy cow!

113. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Hahahahaa. When n is Helen Keller hobble. Head night

114. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM

My buddy Scott Jackson is the guy with the Puig face they just showed on TV. That guy logs more miles traveling to see games and he's an enlisted man! The Army must be paying him well.

115. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Trade him. Now. His value will never be higher. Before he gets picked off second.

116. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Ghost… so much for tracey affecting Ian, lol

117. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

why does Tracy always seem to do this? kind of funny, just wish he was consistent.

118. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Secret wasian man soon the home attendance will dip below 25,000 and then by August back to 2008 levels.. what is sickening…DC is alive to support this team and the Nats are doing everything they can to destroy the fan base!!

119. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Pitcher and span inking over. Ramos not hitting for @#%*$ either

120. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I would've let Gio swing there.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I don't give a damn if Tracy just hit… I still hope we cut his bum self…

122. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Risp 0 for 3 with no positive outs. Gio bunts a positive out

123. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Chad Tracy with a double with nobody on base. Not shocking as he has 5 hits all year with runners on base and a .147 BA.

124. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Well…at least he made solid contact?I don't know.

125. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Good ponit nick. I love ledos also. Span on 3. And 0. My lord somebody go get Davey outran there now. Stupid is as stupid does.

126. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Who the heck green lighted the lightest hitting batter in a 3-0 count? What the H-E-Double L is going on here with Span?

127. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

0 for 4 RISP.Desi, werth, Ramos Span all 0-1Gio doing his job well.

128. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:46 PM

SWMat some point this will affect the starting pitchers, Rizzo needs to deal some of these guys off why they have valueRed Sox came back from 2012, Nats can too!!! and Red Sox had no pitching, we at least have pitchers

129. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Davey is the man.

130. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I would've had Gio swinging away. Maybe he gets a hit like Greinke. Greinke hits better than Span.

131. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

And the pitcher nearly hit a home run.

132. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

If home stand is a losing one SELL, SELL, SELL while you can

133. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Proctor hes a mob player and a slow fastball is coming and he cant drive it. Hes pathetic. 0 homers why is he swinging. Fey on base then force the stretch… and there pitcher just rips one. Can it get any worse

134. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Lay one over the middle with a batter with .361 average. Good call Ramos.

135. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… Lay one over the middle with a batter with .361 average. Good call Ramos. What are you talking about?

136. mick - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I can not believe Span as ZERO homers at this point of the season….just amazing… a lead off guy at least has to be threat once in awhile to knock it out…Span makes opposing pitchers life easy not having to worry about a gopher ball… but he is Rizzo's guy

137. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Ghost – Davey did… Just like he did a couple weeks ago with Jayson Werth…

138. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Bad play Gio ellis way inside hit him he is out and because of dead ball runner goes back to second.I am counting on umps calling it correctly. Probably a good play after all.

139. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The pitch to Grienke even Span could hit that pitch.

140. Secret wasian man - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM

This team is making fans cuckoooo. I don't know.either ghost.

141. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I think the book on Puig is out. Soft away, hard in.

142. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Ghost – Davey did… Just like he did a couple weeks ago with Jayson Werth… If Davey greenlighted Span on that 3-0 maybe you all are right and Davey should turn in his jersey now.If it is Bryce, RZim, ALR, Werth, Desi with 2 outs, go for it. I don't even want Rendon swinging 3-0. You have Greinke working over-time here. Don't help him!

143. paul brandt - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

nice job Gio!

144. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I guess Puig and Adrian Gonzalez both suck. They couldn't score their guy from 3rd.

145. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Lol Ghost – I'm not one calling for DJ's firing… But he has definitely contributed to a good # of losses…With that said, that's not the first time we have seen that this season and I doubt it's the last…

146. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

David Proctor said… I think the book on Puig is out. Soft away, hard in. Sort of but you want Puig to get himself out. He will expand the strike zone.

147. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Greinke gets a 1-1 pitch on Rendon. That wasn't a strike.

148. David Proctor - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Well Zimmerman has done his part this series. It's not his fault nobody can drive him in and nobody is on base for him to drive in.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM

MrsB, the Nats are now 1-10 batting .100 in 3-0 counts. The only hit belongs to ALR.

150. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Get the line moving again. Now RISP time.

151. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Agreed

152. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Runners in scoring position. This inning is over.

153. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Come on NatsJack. The luck will turn!

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Ghost – I'm already pissed becuz of the first inning…. And this guy beside me is drunk and won't shut the hell up….And I think Greinke is getting gifts, please don't upset me anymore…

155. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Come on JW!!!

156. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Greinke gets a 1-1 pitch on Rendon. That wasn't a strike.Ghost, you are too obsessed with the zone, no ump on any level will get it right 100% of the time, anywhere on any planet…they just won't, they all even themselves out over the course of a game but if you are correct, then its up to Davey & company to make it known in an attempt to get a make-up call in the later innings, they don't do that enough IMO.p.s. the 1-1 to Rendon was close enough.

157. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Looked like another walk to me.0-5 RISP

158. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Jayson looked like he swung at ball 4… That seemed in the dirt…

159. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I too am obsessed with the strike zone. Rarely the same for all pitchers.With today's technology no excuse.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Paul, Greinke is all over the place. He hasn't been throwing strikes. The ump does not need to help him. He wanted to punch Werth out on the 2-2 pitch as you could see the body language.

161. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Again… Swinging on 3-0…

162. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It was ball 4

163. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Werth and desi ughh

164. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

BRB going to punch a hole in my wall. Not really, but jesus this is maddening.

165. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Desi flailing at a ball in the damn dirt… That was a ball… Good lord, where is the patience…Grienke isn't doing anything, from where I am sitting, and we continue to help him out…+{€|€{€!|€|>{>]€]++\=\=\+]^|%****

166. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It like ball 4 to Ian.Are my eyes just that bad tonight?

167. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:09 AM

This is just PATHETIC. Only good news is Greinke is being worked.

168. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Just laughable at this point.

169. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

MNF, that's a different issue, to me the zone is the zone, it should be the same for all pitchers… I know that's not reality but it should be but to have some kind of robot or computer take the place of a human being, that ain't happening.

170. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

so Ian reaches on that 3-2 pitch…. ??

171. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

6 men left on base. Ughh

172. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Zimmterman needs to stop with the singles is gotta be homerin or bust. Its our only hope.

173. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Not to pile on Denard Span, because he's hardly the biggest goat this game, but him flying out to center on that 3-0 pitch was hilarious. What a turd.At least Rizzo has got some incredible tape from this week for Desmond's contract negotiations.

174. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:14 AM

SWM, how's about Span gets on base for him?

175. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM

very down on Desmond right now…not prime time when he needs to be…clearly the NL got it right, no way in hell is he an all star…3 times in 2 games he has let his team down, although he is not the only one.I think i have seen enough of span as well…Shark is great fielder and although he bats 100, he at least will homer now and thenRizzo can really rebuild this team for 2014 now…i really think he should trade off ALR, Span, Tracey, and Soriano, Nats could get some really good prospects for next year..why not?

176. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

How frustrated must these starting pitcher be when they get absolutely no run support game after game after game?

177. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

look at the Red Sox, case and point…

178. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Those hand-covers for head first sliders is smart.

179. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

phil…that is a great point…at some point it divides a team…this is why Rizzo needs to to make moves while he has some leverage

180. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM

feel like i am watching a soccer game…

181. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Nice pitch on Ethier.

182. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Great battle that Gio won…

183. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM

knowing Davey he will blame Gio if he gives up 1 run like he implied Stras did last night…Davey just wants out, I can feel it…he shows no passion or excitement for the game like he use too. just a damn shame because he was a great manager

184. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

yea, phil, good point, Gio needs to kick some dirt on these so called batters and get in their grills, this is a pathetic offense…bench some people old man and let some others give it a go…90+ games is enough of a sample size.

185. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Gio is an all star

186. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

paul…try 97 games….Rizzo needs to deal now to get Nats back on track in 2014…I know it can be done

187. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

mick, we agree there. I think Gio, Stras and JZim were All Stars as well as Desi. Bochy showed no respect.

188. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Every major league team passed on H-Rod when the Cubs put him on waivers ten days ago. It took Cubs GM Epstein three weeks to figure out what it took Rizzo nearly three seasons.

189. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Of course Tracy is 2/2. Of course.

190. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

mick, that's why i said 90+, didn't know the exact count but i hear you, am usually much more optimistic but am having trouble lately…hah! chad does it again!!

191. We are the Nationals - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

2-2!

192. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

FP just said if your patient, you will get yourself in a good hitting count verse Grienke…3-0 on 2 occasions tonight is a pretty good hitting count, don't ya think???

193. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I know it's early in the game but I pull Tracy here for a pinch-runner here. Davey won't but I'm playing for a run here and get Bernadina stealing.

194. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Davey will have Tracy starting tomorrow…..

195. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

phil… great postthat is the one thing that scares me about Rizzo leading this team in the future, lol

196. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Ghost agreed

197. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Did you see Fairchild on Ramos. He wanted to call a strike.

198. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Chad may be our starting 1b for the rest of the year, now…every time it looks like he's done, he gets a key hit or two…from now on he's Morris, but not sure he has 9 lives, probably down to like 2-3.

199. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

200. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Can this team do one of the easier things? BUNT

201. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM

lets see if our lead off guy and earn his pay

202. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM

David Proctor said… Steve M, that's already known. Davey said he didn't think LaRoche would be good for tomorrow. Lefty pitching (Kershaw) so I was halfway joking.

203. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Tracy 2 for 2 and we still stink. Ramos just awful. And if I here carp say it was hard hit ill scream. Its an out it ain't little league.

204. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I know people love to talk about Span… But he is doing the same thing as all our other batters with the exception of our 3rd and 4th batters….Which is nothing,,,

205. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Span has weakly rolled 2 over to 2nd and had the lineout to CF on the 3-0 pitch. Just bad. Tracy has been the hitting star and that's hard to say.

206. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM

The longer this game goes, the more it becomes another TYPICAL Nats loss.Well pitched, poorly hit and lacking enthusiasm.

207. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM

NatsJack, Davey could've put in Bernadina with no outs for Tracy and then used some hit & run with Ramos or a straight steal. You have to make things happen some nights.

208. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Who plays 1B then Steve M?

209. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

2 nights in a row that we have had the pitchers on the ropes…. And nothing…

210. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Greinke and Tracy each have a double and a single tonight. That is how screwed up things are.

211. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I watched Greinke in high school. He was the best hitter on the team playing short stop when he didn't pitch.

212. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM

David Proctor said… Who plays 1B then Steve M? Hairston better get his 1B glove.

213. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Why doesn't mattingly employ the "span shift" and put 6 fielders in the 4 hole?

214. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM

215. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM

The Rays have won 16 of their last 18. Unreal.

216. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM

See what I mean about Puig, he just swung badly at ball 4.

217. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I don't think Puig is all that people want to crack him up to be on offense..

218. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM

It's not that Ghost loves Hairston. It's that he's seen what everyone else has done and Hairston is new.Let's find out.

219. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… Ghost – I'm not understanding why you like Hairston so much… He isn't the answer to anything…He does only 1 thing well and that's power on LHPs. That's all he does well.Tracy can't run and just clogs up the bases. Take the gift that he gave you and use your bench to make things happen.

220. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Ramos and Rendon are just finding the fielders. BABIP has to turn back, right?

221. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Can someone take a Greinke mistake pitch and hit it into the outfield seats?

222. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I say if Zim gets one more stinking single tonite, the Nats DFA him.

223. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Greinke fields his position well too.

224. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I was running an errabd and saw my question was not answered. Did Ian swing at a ball outside on the 3-2 count last time.looked like had to lunge.

225. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Who in the hell told Bryce to bunt… Jesus…

226. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Hahahahaha. This is.like a bad dream that cant be woken up from

227. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Yes MnF – Desi looked like he swung at ball 4 to me..

228. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

At least he swung.He and Zim are not tge problem, so I not complaining about them, tgey were in position to score.

229. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Bryce didn't bunt did he? I thought it was a swing that ended up doing nothing.

230. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM

That looked like a bunt to me, from where I am sitting…But if it wasnt, thanks.

231. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Was FP just cursing away from his microphone? I thought I heard a F Bomb.

232. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM

It was a "swinging bunt," more accurately an over-swinging bunt.

233. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Nats need that 4.7. Why not start that in the 6th.

234. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM

54 inning since we last homered.As good as Gio is he too cannot get Ramurez out even in an 0-2 count.

235. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:53 AM

MNF, Hanley shortened up his swing and just hit it hard and went with the pitch.

236. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Davey will blame Gio

237. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:56 AM

More bad luck. Desi can't hold on to that ball on the steal. Figures.

238. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM

What a great K of Ethier. The perfect chase pitch in a 1-2.

239. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM

How many people remember the movie Network? The character played by Peter Finch had one of my favorite lines of all times.I could see Jayson Werth being that character.If you remember he pulls ups his windowand shouts into the alley "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore." Then everyone else yells it too.Well Jayson should star everyone else joins in and the crowd joins in.I am mad as hell, but apparently, they arent as mad yet.

240. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM

MNFlove it!

241. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Call me stupid (yes, I loved every second of SharkNado), but I see this as a terrific October play off series.

242. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Gio has been superb….Come on Tmobile… Get with the program…l

243. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Gio is probably done if the Nats get to the 9th spot.

244. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM

NJ – you aren't the only 1… I think only 2 teams will come out the NLC…Nats need to whoop ass and take names later…

245. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Desmond is despicable at the plate lately.

246. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM

If Tracy hits a HR here, pigs will fly! Go Chad!

247. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Chad Tracy is 3/3.

248. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Can Tracy play short stop

249. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Tracy now batting .178

250. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:06 AM

See….even Chad Tracy can hit with nobody on.

251. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I tweeted to FP to start it

252. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM

SWM, didn't Desi go 2-4 with a RBI yesterday?

253. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Sigh,.. This means we will see more Tracy… I guess DJ wanted to 'get him going'….

254. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Come on Goon Squad!

255. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Bernie. Why not the bench is hot. Now storen can lose it Ive seen this movie before.

256. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Just what you are suppose to do.Why cant we do it.

257. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Davey needs to use Head Charge there…

258. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:09 AM

BERNIE!!!!!!!!

259. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM

He was safe. Nice hit but darn it. Cant do that.

260. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Oh, and Shark tries to deliver the pizza to second base.Need to use CANDYGRAM there…

261. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM

SHARK WAS SAFE!!!!!!!

262. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM

SHARKADINA! In honor of SHARKNADO!

263. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Tracy running on Puig had me real nervous. That worked out well!

264. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I'm not up on things. What is Sharknado? I'm guessing a bad tornado.

265. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Angle on the replay was ambiguous, but he looked out.

266. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

A 2 out rally and Bernadina is 1-1 with RISP!

267. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Sharkado!

268. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That was supposed to be in the dirt, Storen left it up. Same thing with Soriano last night.

269. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Davey won't go with the lefty in that situation. Storen doesn't bury that in the dirt. Unreal.

270. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Roma's called ball in the dirt and Storen leaves it up…Come on man…

271. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I was about to type did we not learn from last night leaving one to golf is not wise.

272. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Left it over the plate.

273. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Wasn't even that low, just below the knees.Oh, COME ON. ON 0-2??

274. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Storen is not good.

275. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Drew, blame yourself but I also blame Davey. I bring in Abad to face Schumaker.

276. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

A 9 year old gets a hit on that pitch by Storen. Great "cutter" added to the repertoire.

277. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Why didnt DJ take Storen out… Put in Abad…Terrible…

278. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

kick rocks, Davey; you've wasted our season

279. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Drew Storen needs to be traded.

280. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Um…

281. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Then an 0-2 to Ellis right over the middle.What is up with these relievers the starters lose more wins because of pathetic 7th inning pitching tge last 3-4 weeks.Fp is right you have to be perfect. It is not ocket science.I'm mad as hell Storen straighten up.

282. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Good take by Puig, says F.P……

283. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Just a little bit high and inside, says Bob Uecker…

284. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM

He was being sarcastic, WODL.

285. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Storen – Puig is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

286. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I just don't get Davey. He has a rested bullpen and he won't use these guys for the situation called for. The spot called for the lefty because Drew stinks against lefty hitters.I blame Davey. What the heck is he doing? I said it at the time. I just don't understand him. As soon as Schumaker was named as the pinch-hitter. Davey has to yank Storen.On Davey once again.

287. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

DJ and his stubbornness and loyalty…Storen, clip Soriano will not always work… Dammit DJ, you have LHps now… Fricking use them….

288. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

ah Drew..you keep reminding me of game 5 you head case you

289. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Fp half wrong. Storen didnt have to be perfect. The first bad pitch didn't hurt him until the second bad pitch. The third bad pitch didnt cost him.Not even close to perfect.

290. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Cant win games 1 0. That being said terrible pitch by drew. Not going to win with these players. OR THIS MANAGER

291. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:25 AM

F.P. playing it too straight. Hilarious. Good take by Puig. I knew I watched these games for some reason.

292. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM

MrsB loves the Nats said… DJ and his stubbornness and loyalty…I hope Mark or someone with some #%*@$ in the media asks Davey why he don't go lefty against Schumaker.

293. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Span should be always taking in any count….

294. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Wow, Span goes with a pitch on the outside.

295. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Rizzo, Im begging you…trade now and issue an apology to all fans for this terrible season

296. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Hey, opposite field. Every time Span gets a hit or has a decent game, he goes to the opposite field and we think, finally, and then the next day, it is right back to the tired pop-ups and weak grounders that he tries to pull.

297. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Bull Pizzles!!

298. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

As soon as shark was out no doubt span would hit

299. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

No way. What a horrible call at 2nd.

300. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

what a crap call – safe!!!!!!!!!!!!

301. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

302. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Was he even hustling there. Span looks up and slowed down. Say fl say it. Why doesn't he say it span slowed up

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

That is the sort of play that makes me question Span's base running and speed. He has to be there and it shouldn't be close. Based upon his number of infield hits and stolen bases, Span is either not very fast, or he doesn't know how to run the bases as well as he should.F.P. agrees.

304. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Span declerated onrun. Why?

305. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

crapass umpire would not matter if Nats can score more than 1 run a game

306. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

If we can't bunt, we should at least stop doing it

307. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM

span may be a bigger bust than Haren

308. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Screwed by the blue….

309. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:31 AM

If Span knew how to run the bases, we would be ahead.

310. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

should be 2-1, thanks 2b ump, we get no breaks at all…

311. karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Nope- Span was out and it was he own fault. He should have been running hard all the way.

312. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

span was out. That was right right call.

313. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Span was safe and went past the 2nd base bag and was able to stay on the base. That just cost the Nats a run and a precious out.

314. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Good point nick. What was nok Logan doing. What was nook Logan thinking why why. Mick

315. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM

There you go. Zim singles again instead of hitting a home run. I'm with SWM….time to DFA Zim.

316. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Freeze on the VCR says it was a bad call, but it was closer than it should have been. FP noticed and pointed out Span got a bad jump, freezing for just an instant at contact. You play this game with fear and arrogance. I guess we saw which one on that play.

317. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Eck cant coach hitting so why do we think he can coach bunting.The kocal high school here can bunt, ask Big Cat wants that coach to teach everyone how to bunt.k

318. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:34 AM

pedrocrrano, not sure what you were looking at. His foot was on top of the base when Hanely caught that ball.

319. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Rizzo made a huge mistake in acquiring Span. We all know that, but the bigger mistake was playing him up as the final piece.

320. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Hahaha bats jack. Zimmerman doing his.job. span hustles we jp 2 1

321. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I hope Bryce isn't acquiring nervous ticks….

322. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM

This reliever just got chewed up by the Braves on an ESPN game. Paco basically blew the game for the Dodgers so he owes us one.

323. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I prefer the NL, but double switches are quite tiresome.

324. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Harper cant hit lefties

325. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Mattingly once again playing like Game 6 and Davey once again with his thumb up his a–. I was surprised he argued the call at 2nd. That was a surprise.

326. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM

That is a good point about Span. He plays the game with fear, not arrogance.

327. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Mattingly wants to win you can. Davey lost interest.He brings a tough lefty for Harper. Davey wastes his lefties and lets them rot in the bull pen. 2 nights in a row. What is the point in have lefties if you are not going to use them.Abad must be gone when Mattheus is ready.

328. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I may be alone on this but Rendon and Span are a perfect hit and run combo. Why bunt?

329. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM

For the record, I was just talking about that one play, with Span.

330. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM

The umpires are inclined to call an out on any close play where the team in the field makes either a great play or a risky play. If usually the tie goes to the runner, when a team makes a great or unusual play in the field, the umps are likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. That does tend to reward interesting play and benefits the sport overall. Bottom line? Span screwed up by making it close.

331. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Lefties that come from the side. Over hand ones he is fine.

332. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I'm not gonna argue the Span thing… He was safe…But again, I don't see all the out rage when Werth goes 0-3 and contributes to the non scoring in RISP… I don't see the out rage when Dei swings from his knees when all we frickin need is simple contact…I swear people like to pick and choose a scape goat… Just like with Espi…But Nj – I said the same thing… I'm not understanding why Rendon bunted right there either…

333. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Long inning for no runs scored yet….

334. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Guys with track records get the benefit of the doubt, Mrs B. Werth has been our best hitter over the last 2 months. He screwed up, but I'm not going to get on him too much because everyone fails sometimes in this game. Same for Desi.

335. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM

iM mad as haell.Was Punto's foot on base?

336. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Duh…. Span replaced one of the most popular Nats ever, and was touted as the final piece of the World Series puzzle, and has not delivered. It is hardly rocket science to figure it out. Werth won the biggest game in Nats' history and has been with them every step of their rise from last place.Not hard to understand at all.

337. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

so whats tonights excuse….cant blame Tracey who is 3 for 3…. lineup back for 12 games now and it is worseBryce swings like a caveman now

338. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Mattingly just said 'Check mate'….

339. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Zim was out but it was as close. Very close.

340. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM

NatsJack, a hit & run would make more sense since bunting on him was a tough task at 98+

341. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Davey stinks but so do most of his players. If I never saw span again I wouldn't care

342. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Outside of our 3 and 4… None of the line up has done nothing… But yeah, benefit of the doubt should come into play…

343. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Zim was out…Harper stunk at bat and that is why the inning was over

344. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Ian Desmond has been excoriated on this blog, as have Zimmerman, Harper, Strasburg, Espinosa, Tracey, Rodriguez and many others. Span is in good company, and the idea that he is some sort of scape goat is ridiculous. People hammer Desmond every day on here and he is twice the player that Span is.

345. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Number 7 batter is 3 for3 Desi and Werth clueless tonight.

346. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Desmond is a good player, no doubt…I have seen the light on Span….he is a huge bust..I defended him most of the season, i cant nowzero homers after 97 games, seriously???

347. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Off the end of Hanleys bat and still went 398.

348. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM

That swing and miss on the curve in the dirt made Hanley look like a little leaguer.

349. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

The Washington Post has taken several shots at Bryce Harper this week. Maybe he is the scape goat….

350. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Hanley standing and admiring a fly ball to the track in center didn't exactly cover him in glory either.

351. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Show boating on a long out… No good…

352. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Uh oh. Nothing ever good follows an airmailed throw by Zim.

353. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

to funny now

354. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

WTF Ryan? That is horrible. Can't happen. Just can't. He could have run it over to 1st.

355. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Zim threw that one over the top, not sidearm. Apparently he doesn't have the routine down yet.

356. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Since the San Diego series the Nats are 6 for 66.That is .091Im mad as hell.Wh zim take his time? That is the comnon bond on most his errors.

357. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM

face of the franchise

358. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM

there is not a couch large enough for this team…

359. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM

The hard plays Zimm excels… But when he has time and it's easy, he sails it…

360. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Span hasn't been the same player since he got hurt a couple of years back. He used to walk and was among the league leaders in hbp's. He doesn't do that now. There were whispers at the time of the deal that Boswell subtly made reference to, that he would never be the same as he was 5 years back and Minnesota seems to have replaced him without any problem. Strangely enough, when he was effective, he used to get injured all the time. Now that he isn't effective, his health seems fine….

361. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I understand that Span may never be the player he was before the concussions, but if he even performed like he did last year, I'd be happy. Not happening this season.

362. karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM

mick – more like facepalm of the franchise. That was BAD.

363. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Anybody ever see the movie 8 men out. You think that's going on here. The black sod.it has to be you cant be this bad

364. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I knew Davey should have put Chad Tracey at third. He can definitely get the ball all the way to first from third.

365. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Clip bails out Zim

366. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Tracey seems to be a much better 1st bagger than 3rd….

367. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Chad makes a great play there. That was nifty on a ball that was smoked.

368. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM

instead of Nats eating face, they are TIITFlol

369. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Clip loves to make things interesting….I wonder what baby Clip is doing… I liked that guy…

370. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Pretty good pick by Tracy to end that inning. We are relying WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much on Tracy tonight. This is not going to end well.

371. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Bad combo 6 for 66 Risp58 straight innings with 0 homers.

372. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Desi gets a hit. Neganons take that!

373. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Puig trying to throw our Desmond at first LOL

374. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I agree. Span's performance last year would have been marginally effective, but it is difficult to analyze because he seems to have lost his baserunning skills, which is unusual. I think he stole 24 out of 28 bases a few years back. Now he steals 7 of 10, which isn't great, considering that he usually doesn't run in close games. His bunting is terrible and he doesn't beat out dink hits the way say Jose Reyes does. His fielding has been good but I am not sure if he is better than Bernadina in center or left. We re-adjusted our entire team to bring him in. That is a big burden and he needs to put up the numbers or …..

375. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Helluva jump…

376. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Eric Cooper gets a call right at 2nd.

377. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM

No one on eay hit.Now tracy get him to third at least

378. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Tracy has to move Desi over

379. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Can the Senators get a fly ball here to score a run?

380. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

That was significantly motivated by Puig throwing behind Desmond. And I love how he congratulates the ump on a good call.

381. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Tracy even gets a productive out. You figure with RISP he doesn't get a hit ;)

382. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Tanking with RISPMaking outs with 3 ball countsCrappy baserunninglame duck managingspoiling incredible pitchingspan rolling groundersStoren blowing leadsZim airmailing throws from 3rdFor all the times i've heard "…and that's why the play the games!", the 2013 Nats are proving that it's not always true

383. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I will actually give Tracy props for tonight…. He had a good game… But that is an issue all in itself…

384. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Anybody ever seen the movie, "Damn Yankees"?

385. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Situation calls for Moose to hit a fly ball. What are the odds he swings at something in the dirt?

386. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Buffalo due

387. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM

MrsB, no doubt by Tracy. This is what has been needed from him when he gets starts.

388. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Use Head Charge!

389. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Uhm… Hairston???? Why not Lombo… He will give you a sac fly, at least….

390. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

AVOID THE DOUBLE PLAY.

391. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I always wonder about the splits that Davey uses….

392. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Lombo

393. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I'd go Lombo here as you need a contact play with speed on 3rd. Earn your trade Scott Hairston!

394. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

DJ leaving the "King of Sac Fly" in the dugout.

395. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:09 AM

In 2005, we brought in Preston Wilson to carry us to the pennant. This year we brought in Scott Hairston.

396. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Hairston against a righty? Did I miss a memo?

397. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Span's got this.

398. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Jr. Spivey. They brought in Jr. Spivey in 2005.

399. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I don't understand why Davey put Hairston in against a righty. He hits lefties. Not righties.

400. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Scott Hairston can't hit RHPs. Davey with another mistake. Even Suzuki a better choice.

401. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Absolutely awful managing. Limbo there. This.is laughable just laughable. QUIT GUYS JUST QUIT.

402. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I forgot about Spivey but I remember Preston had all these homers in Denver but very few in DC….

403. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Exactly why I wouldn't have used Hairston… Purposeless…. You need a sac fly, at least and you don't use Lombo who excels at that…Then you know Mattingly is playing Chess and will bring in a LhP… You could have switched Hairston for Span here…Dumb DJ… Just dumb…

404. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Is University Of Maryland University College better than University of Maryland? It must be because it has both things in its title….

405. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Bat lombo for Span.

406. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Hairston is one hell of a pick up Rizzoyou sure can pickem

407. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

PINCH HIT WITH LOMBO AND THEN HAIRSTON FOR SPAN (if lombo doesnt do the job already, which he will, because he's one of the few guys on the squad of mopes who can play small ball)

408. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I just want t vomit wat hung this team. Now Span is up. What's the point. Just roll over Davey. You Moron

409. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Only the Senators could get ten hits and only one run….

410. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Hairston wasn't a bad pickup, he's just been misused. He cannot hit righties. He can only hit lefties, that's his role. Why Davey put him in there…who knows.

411. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I would drag bunt for the hir here.

412. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Davey just not making the right calls tonight. We saw that with Hairston before against RHPs. K's in a situation where all you need is a productive out. Didn't even have to be a hit.Davey with 2 crucial managing mistakes tonight and of course he will blame the player for not executing.

413. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM

And then Hairston Ks on a pitch outside of the zone…Just dumb…

414. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM

NatsJack, why not.

415. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Good call

416. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Davey has hardly used Hairston at all.

417. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Span eats lefties alive.

418. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I'm starting to worry about Davey, seriously.

419. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM

William O. Douglas Loeffler said… Davey has hardly used Hairston at all.Davey missed the memo. He can only hit LHPs and doesn't do that well. That was a contact AB there.

420. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM

It is amazing how long some of these games are, even when they are low scoring. We are almost at 3 1/2 hours….

421. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM

What's with all the twirling of the bat by Span?

422. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Yeah Sec 1…. Me too… He has never been this bad…. Or missed so many chances….

423. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Luckiest foul off ever by Span….

424. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I can't wait to hear Davey say "we'll get 'em tomorrow" in his presser….

425. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Put in soriano and put us out of our.misery. gutless

426. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Oh my god.

427. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

The Nats are the Senators.

428. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Carp: Davey trying everything his lineup will let himMe: Wake up. No. Stop kissing up Carp.

429. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Typical… But this is on DJ… He has made so many mistakes tonight… And of course, outside of 3 guys, the line up is ineffective….Stranded 12 says it all….

430. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

HOW ARE THERE NOT 15,000 DECAPITATED BOBBLEHEADS RAINING ON THE FIELD?!?!?!?!??!?!

431. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Well this sets up the walk off right?…right? Someone?:(

432. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:20 AM

What is our ranking in LOB?

433. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM

As golf analyst Dottie Pepper once said, (paraphrasing here) "…bunch of freaking choking dogs".

434. ExposedinDC - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Feel like I have seen this movie before

435. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM

span is worthless periodWilliam Owas that Ed Stroud at batlol

436. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I was sure Span would K. Im mad as hell. Wish the hitters were.Now 6 for 68 in last 9 game RISP.THAT is as pathetic a stretch as any 2007-2009 stretch.

437. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Nats may be the worst hitting team in all of MLBthe 2007 club had more heart

438. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:23 AM

We got the sac fly at the wrong time… But again, why does DJ use Hairston… Should have had Lombo in…Mattingly has out played DJ all night…

439. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

please don't pitch soriano in the 9th. He has sucked in tie ballgames this year

440. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

MNF, an out by Span does nothing with 2 outs. It was the pinch-hitter who had to make that contact. So disappointing. Desmond singles, steals 2nd and Tracy moves him to 3rd. Ramos walks.

441. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Lets hope so David. But not holding breath

442. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM

WHEW.

443. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

SWMremember…its still to early for the LOD

444. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

My goodness why is Soriano not blowing these guys away. Gives up a hit when ahead. The punto hits one well. This is getting real oldIm getting mad as hell….

445. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Been nice if Span would have made contact, put the ball in play… But Hairston has got to get Desi home… No excuses…But again, why the hell did DJ out him in there in the first place…

446. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Go Natinals!

447. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

MNFwe have to hope Ted Lerner becomes Howard Beall

448. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Did that ball go thru the net?

449. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Mattingly is managing in 2013. Daey is managing in 1987.

450. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

could there a slower pitcher in all of MLB than sorryano??? doubt it…so painful.

451. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Lombo would have made contact…Davey simply a terrible manager now and the players know it

452. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM

I think that last foul straight back stretched the net back and hit that woman sitting right behind the plate.

453. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Puig vs Soriano. And Soriano throws A LOT of fastballs. Don't like this.

454. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I feel Puig is due.

455. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM

MNFyou may be right

456. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I hope the Lerners paid their Metro deposit….

457. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Not sure I like this match up…….nervous!

458. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

3 straight sliders to Puig. Nice.

459. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

What a K of Puig by Soriano! Now let's WALK-OFF!!!!

460. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Blue was giving make up calls… Made Puig look foolish on that swing…

461. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

You think the game will go 18, WODL?

462. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Ghost, what did you think of those first two calls to Puig?

463. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

OK…you think Nats can get 1 freaking run now????

464. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Come on Bryce, give the people what the crave

465. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Paul, those were 2 balls to Puig. No doubt about it.

466. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Nah, let's get one of those game winning hits….

467. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

I think all 3 hit the same spot 2 inches outside.

468. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:35 AM

NatsJack – that is the issue… Mattingly is managing this game like its October… DJ is managing like he doesn't care…

469. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:36 AM

470. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Pitchtrack had the strikes to Puig on the very edge of the black. Certainly not the worst calls tonight, and after the first one, you know that's a strike.

471. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Those pitches to Puig were on the black but not on the plate.

472. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:38 AM

He gave his girlfriend his ball….

473. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Ghost – I'm seriously concerned… I've never seen DJ make this many mistakes… It's disconcerting…But one hand I wonder if its his stubbornness… On another I wonder if its his loalty…Either way, it's a lose-lose for the fans…

474. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:38 AM

475. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Babip has not been kind to Rendy lately….

476. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Darn, Uribe playing no doubles defense. Rendon can't get any luck tonight with the bat.

477. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM

"MrsB, I feel Davey is managing like his mind is somewhere else. It's sad to watch."Maybe Davey is upset that Rizzo won't have a conversation about his future with the team.

478. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Up to Harper! Let's Walk-off!

479. paul brandt - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Ghost Of Steve M. said…Paul, those were 2 balls to Puig. No doubt about it.July 20, 2013 10:34 PMGhost, appreciate the honesty, agree…we all just want consistency.

480. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:42 AM

A Harper oppo-boppo HR would be nice too.

481. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Mmm'kay…..

482. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Harp just looked at it..

483. Knoxville Nat - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Looking? Seriously?

484. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Backdoor slider fooled him. He was expecting something else.

485. Unknown - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Love seeing this team go down quietly in the 9th. No heart at all.Looking forward to selling my Pirates tickets tomorrow.

486. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Not even a swing. Bryce is no Manny machado.

487. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Omg – swing Bryce!

488. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Looking Ks piss me off seriously…But this is why I would have rathered Abad pitch the 9th and save our closer….But why Stammen… Why not Abad or Krol…

489. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Harper thinking along that he's going to walk him. I guess not. Davey not using the LHP once again. His boy Staymen.

490. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Manny Machado's OPS+ is 117. Harper is 143. You're right, he is no Manny Machado. He's better (offensively).

491. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

See ball hit ball. That is what you need to keep in your head witg 2 strikes. You dont let it go. That is worthless.Im mad as hell, i wish the hitters would get mad.

492. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM

WTG David!

493. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I see Stammen and a Puig or Hanley Ramirez as both Losde lose situation.I hope I'm wrong.

494. Scott Margenau - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I agree.

495. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Just what I expected from Staymen. Our 3rd baseman not in the no doubles defense. It's unreal.

496. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Again… Why Stammen and no Abad/Krol….

497. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:50 AM

These games are basically coin-flips.

498. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I'm going to be sick.

499. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Stop it proctor. To continue to make excuses for this team is just embarrassing. Tell Davey hi for me.

500. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

cool, bro. pack your effing bags, davey. you've worn out your welcome