Jul 20, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
|Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER|
Davey Johnson intended to open the second half of the season last night with the same lineup he used to close out the first half on Sunday: with Bryce Harper leading off and Denard Span down in the 7-spot. But after Adam LaRoche came down with the flu, Johnson had to adjust and use Harper as his cleanup hitter against the Dodgers.
That look obviously didn't produce much offensively and resulted in a frustrating, 3-2 loss, so Davey proclaimed afterward he planned to go back to the Harper-as-leadoff-man lineup tonight (assuming LaRoche was ready to return). "I do like Harper leading off," the manager said. "I think that frees him up. He's usually on base."
Unfortunately, LaRoche remains out once again, so it's back to the same lineup from last night. We'll have to see if it can mount a challenge against Zack Greinke, and if Gio Gonzalez can out-duel the Dodgers right-hander.
Updates to come…
LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Isolated storms, 90 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend