Jul 20, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: On a sweltering July night in the District, the Nationals opened the second half of the season, hoping to erase the bad memories of a frustrating first half. Instead, this game sure felt an awful lot like so many losses from the previous 3 1/2 months. They got a strong start from Stephen Strasburg (two runs in seven innings) but couldn't deliver at the plate in key situations. With the game tied 2-2 in the ninth, Davey Johnson turned to Rafael Soriano, but the closer immediately served up a go-ahead homer to Andre Ethier. The Nats went down quietly in the bottom of the ninth, and so they fell back to the .500 mark and (barring a stunning rally in New York against the Phillies) were headed for third place in the NL East by the end of the night.
Hitting lowlight: If the bottom of the fourth inning wasn't the Nationals' season in a nutshell, I don't know what is. They loadedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury