Jul 20, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: On a sweltering July night in the District, the Nationals opened the second half of the season, hoping to erase the bad memories of a frustrating first half. Instead, this game sure felt an awful lot like so many losses from the previous 3 1/2 months. They got a strong start from Stephen Strasburg (two runs in seven innings) but couldn't deliver at the plate in key situations. With the game tied 2-2 in the ninth, Davey Johnson turned to Rafael Soriano, but the closer immediately served up a go-ahead homer to Andre Ethier. The Nats went down quietly in the bottom of the ninth, and so they fell back to the .500 mark and (barring a stunning rally in New York against the Phillies) were headed for third place in the NL East by the end of the night.
Hitting lowlight: If the bottom of the fourth inning wasn't the Nationals' season in a nutshell, I don't know what is. They loadedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win