Game 98: Dodgers at Nats

Jul 21, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Fresh off two losses to begin the season's second half, matters won't get any easier for the Nationals with Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw (8-6, 1.98 ERA) on the mound. He takes the ball for the Dodgers who will go up against Jordan Zimmermann (12-4, 2.58), making for a pretty decent pitching matchup on Sunday afternoon.

Kershaw is 4-2 with a 3.27 ERA against the Nationals in his career. In three starts at Nationals Park, however, the lefty has struggled with seven earned runs in 10 1/3 innings.

Adam LaRoche is back in Washington's lineup, giving Davey Johnson a chance to shake things up. He has Bryce Harper playing center field and batting leadoff, with Scott Hairston in left and batting seventh. This is only the second game this season Harper has been the Nats' starting center fielder and the second time he has batted first.

Matt Kemp returns to center for the Dodgers after missing time with irritation in the A/C joint of his left shoulder. Today is the first time this season that Kemp, Hanley Ramirez and Carl Crawford are all in the Dodgers' lineup at the same time.

Updates to come…

LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, TBS, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Isolated storms (50% chance of rain), 89 degrees

CF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Everyone stay hydrated today. I just found out that beer is not a good way to hydrate but its too late for me to change strategies. GoNats!!

2. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

so, how is everyone today?lol

3. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

coachi always say…keep drinking until you hydratelol

4. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Just looked closer and see that Puig is out today with Kemp back in. I didn't read game posts but in the post game analysis no one talked about him trying to get Bryce at first base on his single to right. I would have loved to have seen that throw sail past Gonzalez allowing us a runner on 2nd.Kid must be cocky as hell.

5. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hey Mick – remember, don't fire or trade anyone during the game!!

6. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Not even Davey!!

7. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Ok, boys, let's right the ship today. GYFNG!!!

8. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It was Desi that Puig tried to nail at first on a single, not Bryce. Desi then responded to that assault on his hustlehood by stealing second.

9. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It was Desmond not Bryce. But he is very cocky. I was in section 136 last night and he was even showing of in warm ups. Lol.

10. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Score some runs, Nats. Score some runs.

11. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

sjm, from previous thread, tracy would be my candidate.

12. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Phil is going to win the British Open so I can stomach watching the Nats today, I already had my sports high for the day. Go Nats!

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I am havibg my pregame hot dog at picnic tabkea behibd 313. In my 27 red jersey.

14. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

JoeS – "until the magic number says we're eliminated I hold out hope." agreed.

15. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Faraz, I hadn't realized that Mark had put up a new thread when I posted on the last one. I'm bringing it over here:I missed the game last night. First one all year that I missed the entire game. Then I read a lot of the blog here, got very depressed, but not just because of the Nats are not performing well.Like NatsLady, my wife and I also make sacrifices so as we can watch as many games in person as possible. Our team just is so frustrating right now. Honestly, they suck. But I still cheer for them, warts and all. I don't despise any of them. I still think Rizzo has overall done a helluva job, but things didn't work out as planned this year. As to Davey Johnson, he has made some moves that are indefensible, yet that said, I still feel that this franchise, and we as fans, were fortunate to have had him. I'm sorry to see such vile come out of some here directed at Mike and Davey, but it's your right. I don't agree with it, but that's me. I still feel very thankful to both of them for last year, and also for giving us such high hopes for this year. It's been a long time for some of us older folks here to have had reasonable hope coming into a season for a major league baseball team. It's a bummer that this season has been so frustrating, but every day I am so thankful that we have a team and that I don't have to give Peter Angelos my money if I want to watch a live ML Baseball game.As to the rest of this season? I certainly can't keep up my mantra of "Relax, we got this," but until the magic number says we're eliminated I hold out hope. And if they get eliminated the first week of September? We'll still go to as many games as we can get to and cheer them on. And next year? We'll renew our partial plan. GYFNG! Let's play ball!

16. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Nice response by Bryce about Puig's throw.

17. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Incidently, regarding Puig, and his cockiness? As long as he stays clean, I love watching that level of raw talent play the game. I wish we had him.

18. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Faraz, what did Bryce say?

19. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Seamhead, I was in the game thread for most of it. You didn't miss anything.

20. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Sofa, "I feel like I'm playing against myself with that arm."

21. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Liking our chances todaySteal home Bryce

22. A DC Wonk - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

For most of the season's first half, the Nationals' offensive woes could be condensed to one simple fact: They weren't putting enough men on base. But over the last few weeks, and especially the last two nights, the problem hasn't been an inability to put guys on base. It's been an inability to bring them home.OK, now this, at first glance might seem like a real stretch to see the glass half-full, but, seriously, if we think about it . . . it is progress.The point being: if the Nats keep getting the hits, the runs will come. Maybe not Friday and Saturday, but if they keep getting 10+ hits a game, runs will come.Really, if we think about it, it's much better than getting 4 hits per game (which happened all too frequently earlier this season).Yes, I'm frustrated. and losing, 7 of the last 9 really sucks, but we're lucky that the Braves and Phils continue to miss opportunities to pull ahead much further.Keep getting the hits, boys, if you do, the runs will come and so will the wins.

23. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Was sweltering in sect 135 next to the mayor of natstown….No seats to stretch out but the mayor was his entertaining self along with the vendors, fake presidents, nats police and father and son combo shouting "Finish him Gio" and so he did.

24. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Joe, I echo your 12:37 post.

25. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Good post WonkIf you hit it, the runs will comeGo the DistanceWhat was the third one ?

26. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

modified version of field of dreams line. nice!"if you hit it, the runs will come."

27. Another_Sam - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Seamhead – I was waiting to see you on this thread so I could comment on your last remark on the previous thread. Just wanted to say thank you, man. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. I'm with you we have a club. Lets watch em and have fun and get frustrated and … Thanks, man.

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

So much for the rumors that Kemp would be out to mid-August.

29. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Ease his pain

30. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: We just don't recognize life's most significant moments while they're happening. Back then I thought, "Well, there'll be other days." I didn't realize that that was the only day.

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

And today we face the best pitcher in the league….Sigh…Go Nats!

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Dodgers have this series won… Not sure I would have put Kemp out there…. But Mattingly has shown he can manage….

33. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

And JoeS – although DJ has made a muck of things this year with some of his terrible managing decisions, he also has my utmost respect… I feel he has definitely been the best manager the Nats have had… I sure don't miss Riggleman or Acta…I was hoping he can go out on top (still hoping) but he has definitely had a good ride and I will remember him fondly while as a Nats manager…

34. baseballswami - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

No , Mrs B– today the dodgers have to face the best pitcher in the league.

35. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

come on Swami, I love Zmann but Kershaw is Kershaw.

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Lol Swami – I'm as big a homer as they come….But Kershaw is the best in the league…He is 1a… Zimmermann is 1b…

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I think with Road/Home splits, JZim is the best starter in baseball. Kershaw is the best off all pitchers overall with or without park adjustments.

38. Kirbs - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I see another 1-0 2-1 game….hope its our way….

39. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

So watch, it'll be a football score.

40. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I guess 2-0 is technically a football score.

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Yep, a game of inches. 2 hits over the infielders.

42. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Did you see the Nats police kick out the little kid from the field seats late in the game? That dude was taking his job way too seriously. Felt bad for the kid. He kept yelling at the kid "Where is your seat!" until the kid gave in and went back to his seat.

43. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

And a hit right at someone.

44. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Good hitters put the barrel on balls that catch too much of the plate. Bad hitters don't. Has nothing to do with a hiiting coach.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

And a doink caught for the 3rd out. Dodgers had 2 line drives and 2 doinks and 1 groundout and 1 doink and 1 line drive were the hits. Put bat on ball and let BABIP work.

46. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

So what upgrades do we need in hitting that we can do something aboutspan, alr and the bench..a great outfielder or 1b hitter and improved bench

47. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Bad hitters also swing at bad pitches

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I do not like Bryce Harper leading off at all…

49. timeless46 - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Gosh, Kershaw has an odd windup …..

50. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Good hitters foul off pitcher's pitches–bad hitters put them into play.

51. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

yes, it could also be we are a bit too young right now (harper, rendon, ramos) but with potential

52. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sorry guys, I just turned it off again after the Rendon strikeout. I just can't bear to watch any more of this team.

53. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Where the hell was that blue???? Same damn pitch Kershaw got…

54. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Matt Kemp…good hitter

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

MrsB, agreed. JZim doesn't get that 1-2 pitch and BAM.

56. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, that was a good example of what Jack was talking about, all right.

57. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Game over?

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM

These balls are seriously hit hard…. I mean they are teeing off JZ…Good Lord…

59. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Jordan just getting rocked.

60. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Zimmerman getting hammered.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

RZim plays in so close at 3rd that the double goes right over his glove. That's where his inability to make throws and play deeper costs the Nats once again in defensive positioning and the flood gates open.

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Unh unh unh….

63. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

This team is much better than we are.

64. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

This games over. Bring on the Pirates.

65. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

if we score two runs, lets count it

66. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

As much as I like our big 3 on the mound, I can't honestly say that i trust any of them to get us a big win when we need one. They just don't seem to be able to do it when we have to have it.

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Wow… Is Jordan scared to get rocked??? Everything was away…

68. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

They need to yank Jordan. He was too hurt to pitch on Tuesday.

69. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I think Kershaw's wind-up is very close to being illegal.

70. ExposedinDC - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Agreed William , in all facets of the game,,,really not even close

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jordan is hurt… He's got to be….

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

What the heck just happened.

73. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Why do we pitch guys who are injured? Wow! Terrible start to the second half….

74. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Dodgers get 240 mill/year from their cable contractWe get 29 ?

75. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We should be sellers at he deadline. This team is toast.

76. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

The odds of our winning this game are close to zero….

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

FP: A long way to go in this game.Me: That's a MASN plea to not turn off your TV

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Credit to the Dodgers. They pile on.

79. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

This is karma for Jordan's refusing to pitch on Tuesday.

80. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

The great players want to pitch in the All Star game. I was very disappointed by Jordan's decision.

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Zimmermann to the DL…

82. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

This team is sucking the joy of watching baseball right out of me.

83. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The Lerners are the richest owners in baseball and they knew the set-up when they bought the team.

84. Greg Essner - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

grow some balls Rizzo you fricking loser this city deserves better than this shiiiiii.

85. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hahahahahaha…where are all the Hanley haters? Dude is going to win the MVP and lead the Dodgers to the World Series…hey, but we have the Air Mail over there at 3B with his hometown discount…lol…McCutchen signing for 6 years and 51 million is a discount…Rizzo signing Werth and Zimmerman to these deals should get him fired.

86. ExposedinDC - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

At least now we should be sellers….hooray 2014….innings limit for everybody

87. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

good day to play lombo

88. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thank God. This is much more pleasant than the alternative we've been served for the last 3 months. Now if they'll indulge me further and drop all 4 to the pirates this week, I can truly let go of this team and live a life free of fistholes and screaming fits

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Wow…. Never thought this would happen… Wow…

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM

JZim has 0-2 and doesn't get the inside pitch once again. Why go there.

91. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Jeffwx,How does 68 or 78 sound.

92. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Different SZ. And I'm sorry, I love Bryce but I do not want him playing Cf…

93. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Certainly not 88.

94. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Dan Haren, Denard Span and Soriano were the guys we brought in and all 3 have been a disaster….

95. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Honestly who freaking cares how many runs they score. THe game was over at 1-0. It's Kershaw. We lost this game after the national anthem

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The batters had to know that Suzuki likes fastball in on RH batters in 2 strike counts. It's as if they were sitting on it. Hanley's was a poor slider.

97. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

88 games doesn't sound good today but it may sound better next sunday

98. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Ya gotta have somethin to sell to be sellers.

99. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM

We need Span leading off. That is why we are losing and just think if Span were in center today, why the score would be …..

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Werth. Where was that the last 2 nights?

101. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Take that with your illegal wind up, Kershaw!

102. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Oh its going to get better against the Pirates.After this game they would have to go 40 and 24 to or .625 to get 88 wins. Not going to happen. Pray for a .500 season.

103. baseballswami - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Oh, I think maybe this team is exactly what these fans deserve. No- maybe the fans around here deserve the Astros- fickle and immature as they are. Don't see why Rizzo is even trying to please them. They probably even kick injured animals on the side of the road. You keep saying you are done? Go, then. I hear the Yankees are always in the market for shallow " fans".

104. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Wont be 20 thousand at any game this week. Wont get another nickel from me this year. Disgusting. Meanwhile that jerk Angelo's team is rolling.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The Dodgers scored 4 runs with 2 outs. If JZim got Hanley. Maybe you have a fighting chance. No way does Mattingly lose with a 7 run cushion with Kershaw.

106. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

We'll see…

107. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Well this series is a disaster. No other way to put it. I won't even say the P-Word anymore. It would be silly to. The good news is core of the team is still very good. The supporting cast needs to be overhauled by Rizzo in the offseason.

108. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Good Lord… span ain't playing today yet he is bought up… I swear I'm beginning to think Span did something to folks…Nice hit Werth… But uhm one day we will not just have solo homers…

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

As I said to JD about 3 weeks ago when the Dodgers were 8 games under .500 I said the Dodgers would win the NL West with 86 wins.

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Davey gave away the first 2 games… This one, I seriously am wondering if JZimm is hurt…

111. Greg Essner - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

mike Rizzo idiot of the year

112. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

While I think JZ was having control issues, it is amazing that the only link between Dodgers and Cardinals (JZ's old nemesis) is Mark McGwire, the hitting coach.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ghost – yeah I said the Dodgers would win that division… Thought they were too talented… They got hit with the injury bug bigger than us…

114. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I just happened to check the score. You know what folks…..the Nationals have given up.

115. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Cliff Lee has given up 5 runs in 3 innings to the Mets.

116. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Maybe Mark McGwire is hooking the Dodgers up with some of what he used…

117. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Rabbit34, did you even watch the game? with your best pitcher, the game is 1-7 means team has given up? you did not stop to think that maybe JZ is having a bad day.

118. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Phillies getting creamed too….by the Mets

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Span did do something. He disappointed supremely. We could have signed someone for the outfield with some power who fields just as well and we got ZERO home runs, low obp, few or no steals, a general inability to bunt or score runs and some decent center field play. We would have won several more games if we had decent production in the center field position.

120. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

uh David, I was implying that maybe McGwire has a good book on JZ but if you wanna go with that, that's fine with me.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

122. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It could end up being a blessing that the Nats offense got exposed this year. Rizzo needs to understand that the offense is not good enough. The lineup must be shaken up. The Lerners need to break the bank and sign Cano.

123. UnkyD - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Question: Does Zimn throw too many strikes? If a good hitting team, like these guys, knows everything is in or near the zone, aren't they then more or less able to swing away, knowing they have a good chance to make contact? Might a game like this be a learning experience…?

124. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Wow they certainly have Swami drinking the koolaidThese aren't shallow fans. THEY ARE FANS WHO ARE FRUSTRATED. The wouldn't post or watch if they didn't care. QUIT PREACHING SWAMI. _

125. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

WODL, please do suggest where this mythical player signed last off-season?

126. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

TexNat, and do what with Rendon?

127. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Signing Cano would be a disaster. He's 30 already. He'll get a contract that puts Werth's to shame. And a lot of years. No thank you.

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Haren, Span and Soriano have all been divisive acquisitions. We had a core of guys who loved playing together and Rizzo brought in these three mediocre guys who have garnered huge attention for being mediocre to plain bad. That is a clubhouse killer. Bring back Morse and get rid of Span and Storen and Haren and Soriano….

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

David Proctor said… Maybe Mark McGwire is hooking the Dodgers up with some of what he used…Yah, it is something called knowledge. Try it some time. Very obvious signs that the Dodgers were sitting on inside fastballs in 2 strike counts like they knew it was coming.

130. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Rendon to 3rdzimm to first

131. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Soriano has been great. You don't get rid of a great player because some internet commenters don't like him. Sorry.

132. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Nice play by Rendon.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Nice play guys… Lets chip away… *sigh*

134. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Where is NatsLady and all her optimism??? Huh??? Probably waiting for two hits TOGETHER or an 2 run double to say how we're going to win the world series!!! hahaha………….too many beer and wiping of tears!!

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I'm so glad some fans aren't GMs….

136. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I wasn't being serious with the McGwire thing guys. Jesus christ.

137. UnkyD - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

At least Rendon will be fun to watch, the rest of the way…. Outstanding relay!

138. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

If we had gotten 14 homers in April from our center fielder, I think we just might be in first place. Swap Span for Upton and we are definitely better. Now, maybe not in the long run because Span was cheap, but Rizzo would have done better to stand pat than risk what he did by bringing Span. Hey, it might have worked. I can see that, but I can also see that it didn't work and that is why Span is sitting on the bench today in favor of a guy that the Cubs didn't want.

139. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Nice to see that 9-4-5 putout!

141. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I take back what I said (or thought) about Rendon's relays not being as good as Espi's. That throw was perfect.

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Jeff – I don't think Zimm should move to 1st… Think he is solid at 3rd… 1st is such an important position and People don't see how much value Adam brings to the position… He has saved so many poor throws by Ryan, Desi and Espi/Rendon…That is one of the big reasons why I wanted Adam resigned last year…

143. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

WODL GREAT POINT. Maybe Davey steps down today. I can dream.

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Zook hit it hard…. But right at someone… Come on luck…

145. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Faraz…get a clue. Get real. Get to know baseball. I love Zimm. Nothing I said has anything to do with Zimm. Man, go back to sleep. And no. I haven't watched the game from the first inning strikeouts. Read my post.

146. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I'm surprised the dodger played tried to stretch that double into a triple… With 2 outs, and a 6 run lead…

147. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

WODL, Justin was not a FA. Also have you seen his stats since April?

148. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Hey proctor your always preaching to folks to.stay glassy. Yet you utter the words JC. Talk about no class. And on Sunday too.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… Come on GoSM, JZ's control was off. Suzuki would frame outside but he would pitch right down the middle. Hanley's HR was such a pitch.Read my comment at 2:18. I already acknowledged that slider that went outside-in.JZim hit the mitt on the 1-2 to Kemp and didn't get the inside call. Suzuki set up there again on the black and BAM, a long pulled HR.3 of the hits by RHs were the inside fastball in 2 stike counts.

150. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

151. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I'm not religious. I apologize if anyone was offended by me saying that. That's still far different from joking about a guy getting kidnapped and hoping someone gets sick.Nice try though.

152. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Bryce had a few perfect pitches that he fouled off….

153. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Well Cliff Lee is getting beat up pretty badly. I guess it's a race to the bottom between the Phillies and Nats right now.

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ross O will pitch Friday against the Mets in the double header right?

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Werth playing some good RF.

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Bryce hets a 3-2 cookie down the middle and fouls it off. Ramirez crushes that pitch.That's what some of the people here don't realize is that mistake pitches aren't always hit well. Just watch BP or the last 2 days of the Nats.

157. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

This Dodgers team we are seeing is the one that most folks thought would be around from the beginning…They are getting hot at the right time…

158. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Where has Mike Rizzo been hiding lately? When things go bad, Rizzo and Eck disappear from the TV cameras.

159. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Yeah well most folks thought we'd be around from the beginning too. Hasn't happened for us. How come it gets to happen for them?Life ain't fair, man.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If you know what's coming with pitch type and location and know its a straight 4 seam you can tee-off.Ramos calls a much better game than Kurt. It gets missed by many here. JZim can usually over-power the Righties on inside heat but not when they're looking for it.

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hanley hit in the jock strap with that pickoff attempt 😉

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The issue is for 60 games or so, we were walking automatic outs out on the field… It was ridiculous, some of the line ups…But it's not like the Dodgers have the best record… They are 1 game over 500, about to be 2….

163. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

The key word David was JOKED. I did. You did not. Now back to our beloved team.

164. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yeah but luckily for the Dodgers 1. they're trending way up, we're not. I'd be way more optimistic if we were playing good baseball2. the NL West sucks

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

That single by Hanley that Rendon couldn't dig has turned into 2 runs. smh

166. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I'm one who thinks Zook calls a better game… But I think Jordan missed his location and of course the pitch before Kemp hit the Hr was called wrong…I honestly think Jordan is hurt… Put him on the DL…Of course that creates other issues…

167. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

mrs. b, just responding to another post regarding where you put Rendon if another 2b shows upHey Carp, lot of dodger blue at the game last night so not everyone going home unhappy

168. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I think not only will I stop going to the games but will stop watching them too. Not going to waste my time watching this crap. So fn embarrassing.

169. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Hairston was no help there either, Ghost. Bryce would've had a good chance to make that throw to the plate. Span being out weakens the OF, IMHO.

170. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

This is painful…

171. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

*Obessed no more 😦

172. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

but the dodgers are about to go 20-5 in their 25.It can happen

173. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Rizzo got hammered in the Post today for saying that he has been too busy to see Espinosa in AAA and that the only way he can evaluate Espinosa is by seeing him in person. That is the old time scout stuff taken too far, but maybe he was not being straightforward and just doesn't want to deal with Espinosa when his empire is falling apart all around him, mostly due to his off-season acquisitions, Span, Soriano and Haren.

174. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I watched and loved this team when we lost 100 games, I'll watch and love them through this. Even if it is extremely disappointing.

175. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM

And Rendon should've been charged with an error.

176. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I'll be there with you, David.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We can thank the Dodgers also for sucking royally when they played the Braves but saving all their big guns for us….

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, we should put Span in now to strengthen the defense. Having Hairston out there cost us the game….

179. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What Rizzo said was that he couldn't make a judgement on Espinosa based on box scores.

180. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I've been with this team since 2005 also DP… A lot of the talk about I'm never watching, never coming back is hot air…Cuz folks keep watching and coming back…

181. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

But NJ, Harper is 20…bet Hanley missed a couple of cookies at 20 too.

182. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

At least the Pirates are coming in next.Wait, what's that? They're good now?Sh*t.

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

12 hits in 4 innings. With Jordan on the DL, we are truly in trouble….

184. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

What was that? A 5 pitch inning?

185. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Douglas, I didn't say he cost us the game. I said he weakens the OF. No, not even Span could've kept all those home runs in the park.

186. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Why can't he make a judgment based on box scores? It doesn't seem to me that his Scout-sense always serves him that well….. Let's trade Rizzo for Billy Beane….

187. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM

The fact is that it is difficult for any player to be as bad offensively as Span is and make up for it with only fielding. Base running and fielding, maybe, but Span's base running has been horrible, as have his other small ball skills….

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It's getting to be a little ridiculous right now with all these base hits… Are the scouts/coaches not putting folks in the right place???Werth seems to be out of position a lot in RF…

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I think Rizzo will be a seller now at the trade deadline and just hope he doesn't make any more of his poor trades. I still laugh about those who think the Suzuki trade was a "great" one. That trade is called the classic big salary dump and Beane is still laughing.By the way, me, you and everyone else could've made the Gio Gonzalez trade if you were willing to trade 2 starting pitchers and 2 top prospects (Cole and Norris).

190. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Rizzo managed to suck all the fun out of baseball for Harper this year. He looks like a shell of himself from April and September of last year….

191. karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler – my take on the Espi comments by Rizzo was that they reflected extreme exasperation with a player who is as responsible as anyone for this disaster of a season and whose agent just had the audacity to complain about him not being recalled after having a couple of productive weeks at AAA. Boras knows that if Danny rots as Syracuse the rest of the year he may well lose enough service time so as to not be arbitration eligible and virtually automatically get the big raise this offseason that I'm sure Rizzo and the brass do not feel he deserves.

192. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Rizzo, good scout, not a good trader.

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Rizzo to Harper: "Listen kid. We are going to do you a favor. Center field is too hard for you. You don't have all of the capabilities to be a center fielder. We are going to bring in a ringer to play center field and let you relax by moving from right to left to right to left as needed, so you can just focus on hitting…. It'll work out great, trust me…."

194. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Could we have gotten more for Morse ?Certainly, Alex Meyer.

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM

It seemed to me that Rizzo sort of treated Bowden badly.

196. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

well, a good game in Atlanta

197. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

This is embarrassing.

198. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We got a lot for Morse. AJ Cole and Ian Krol is a pretty good haul. There was also another pitcher, but I can't remember his name (so not an impact player, I assume).

199. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Agreed, DP

200. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Was talking about this year. Should have clarified. I'm not even a season tickets holder and have gone to 70% of their home games this year and only missed 2 or 3 games on TV. I love this team and will always root for them. But unless a miracle happens and they turn it around I'm going to any more games this year. Have to admit I will probably still watch some games but not as much :)

201. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

If we had had Morse's 10 or 12 homers in April and May, we would have won several more games. This team cannot bunch hits. We have to have the long ball to win. We took 30 potential homers out of our line up by dealing Morse and brought in 0 homers to replace him.Those mathematics will never work. Trust me.

202. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Rizzo will make good trades as a seller.Matt Capps for Wilson RamosHe is an excellent judge of young talent.

203. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

*not going

204. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:12 PM

The Morse trade may pay off in the future, no doubt. But this was World Series or Bust, no? At the least, how could any of us have thought that Span could match Morse's production? We should have realized that the team was stepping back for a year.

205. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM

*not going

206. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:13 PM

jeffwx said… Could we have gotten more for Morse ?Certainly, Alex Meyer.If Rizzo traded Morse at the Winter Meetings he would have gotten much more for him. Krol was a nice bonus and he was a throw-in.

207. df57a0f4-abbc-11e2-affa-000bcdcb2996 - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I find it irritating that in one of our worst beatings of the year, every one of your posts is blaming people who aren't playing today.

208. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I am beginning to get a little tired of hearing how great the Ramos trade was. We shall see, but he is far from a great hitter and he is far from great defensively. He is downright awful at plays at the plate. I think we will know for sure by next year if Ramos is actually a good catcher or not. Suzuki was a good pick up last year and who knows what happens with Flores, but Suzuki seems to wear down.

209. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Lol… Lol… Lol….

210. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

jeffwx, Ramos was a trade while Kasten was still the Prez. We can go through all the trades one by one when Rizzo was on his own.

211. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM

So should we hammer Jordan? He has been pretty damn good although he may be wearing down in July. I happen to think that most of the blame for this debacle goes to the people that get mentioned on here and it is entirely fair.SI still picked us to make it to the NLCS this year in their last issue. It is hard to see that happening.

212. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I wonder if MnF stayed at the game…

213. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

13 hits to 1!

214. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

215. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

We got squat for Morse. Are you actually kidding? Yes, Kroll has been very good, but 10 innings by a spot reliever does not take the place of a .290 career hitter capable of hitting 35 or more homers. Cole has digressed so badly that he was literally dumped back to us. And where is Cole? Rookie Ball. Yeah, we got a truck load of 'players for Morse. What a joke.As everyone from Boswell on down finally agree on: the Morse dumping conflated with the Span pickup was a bad deal at best, a disaster at worst. Now this is all predicated on the fact that Morse can get back to the ballfield to play some games. But the Morse deal is all but academic: it was very bad deal that desperately hurt this team.to say otherwise is rather foolish.

216. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM

AJ Cole is only 21 years old. Everything I've read still thinks of him very highly. Fangraphs loves him. Baseball Prospectus likes him a lot. He wasn't "dumped" back to us, he was a return in a trade. There was just a piece the other day linked here that said they still view him as a front of the rotation starter. So, you're wrong.

217. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Well, some trades you get lucky. eg: Morse is injury prone and it showed again this year.I agree the Span trade was a bad one

218. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I disagree with this notion that if guys get hurt after being traded that they would have necessarily been hurt here. Who knows?The Nats got rid of arguably their most popular player and brought in a cipher in center field, a guy who seems nice enough but has no personality and is not in any way a skilled offensive player.

219. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

How in the world is Gio a wash? Werth not worth it? What?

220. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Oakland seems to be better without Gio, though, somehow….

221. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Stick a fork in the Nats, folks. Its all over but the shouting.To win 90 games, the Nats need to play .680 baseball beginning right now. And even 90 games probably wont get them into either wild card.So, sit back and relax and just watch the games for the games sake. Or, don't watch at all, and don't bitch bitch bitch here.

222. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Cano would be picture perfect for this team. Its pretty unrealistic, but I'm not sure how anyone could argue the converse. A power hitting 2B is exactly what this team needs. And the fact that he is left handed just makes it all the better.The lineup has to be upgraded going forward and 2B is the easiest position to upgrade because you don't have dislodge a guy you are committed to long term. Rendon goes to third and Zim to first. Laroche should be traded for prospects in the near future. If he had any interest in leaving NY, you actually could probable get Cano for the combined salaries of Laroche and Haren, both of whom should be gone by next season.

223. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Cano wants at least 7 years. The last thing we need is another huge, long-term contract for an aging player. Cano would be great for a few years, but after that…

224. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Who said gio is a wash? I'll take Gio and give away Milone and Norris every day of the week

225. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Werth, not a 100 million dollar player. I like himbut not worth it. 7. letting go of all your left handed relievers except Zack Duke, not good.

226. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

The other thing that is depressing about this season is that last September, Strasburg and Harper looked to be the best young talents in the game. Now they both look good, not great. There are many pitchers in baseball whose teams would not trade straight up for Strasburg. We went from having the best young field player and the best young pitcher to maybe not having such a thing anymore….

227. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Agreed No Cano. What is it about these players that they're productivity declines the moment they sign that huge contract.

228. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

and a.j. cole

229. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Yes, it is probably not going to work out for that reason. But maybe the Lerners could be talked into it.If you can't get him, you are going to have to get creative/break up portions of the team in order to upgrade the offense, which simply has to happen.

230. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I know this is an unpopular opinion but…is it possible Danny Espinosa figures it out?

231. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Ok, So far, Gio a positive.I do think Milone, A.J. Cole and Norris will be good.

232. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If the Nats are still struggling in the next few weeks, I'd say call Danny up and lets find out.

233. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

jeffwx said… hmmm, I thought Rizzo was involved.He definitely has strength as a judge of young talent which is part of the job of being a GM…Agree, he's made more bad trades than good ones.1. Alex Meyer – so far, we lost2. Morse – a wash given what has happened to him3. Gio – A wash so far4. signing Werth, not worth it5. Signing Zimm, no choice.6. Signing Soriano, a plus.The Jerry Hairston trade and the Jason Marquis trade and the Nyjer Morgan trade and the Henry Rodriguez trade won't amount to any Major Leaguers.I'm still of the opinion that the Nats had opportunities to trade Morse with Espinosa and Storen in a multi-team trade and didn't do it.

234. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I think people thought Span might hit .300 and get on base at a clip of .360 or so, while stealing 35 bases out of 40 and leading the league in runs scored. The reality has been so far from that. Bernadina can field just as well and actually smacks homers once in a while.We are just horrible offensively and I think we might have just been lucky with Tyler Moore socking those ten homers in the middle of last year. We don't even hit homers anymore.

235. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

William, listening to you, one might think the Nationals are life and death. It's baseball, dude. This is an off year. Now Rizzo didn't help any with some horrible moves. I wonder how foolish Rizzo feels about acquiring Span: no hit, no power, lousy base stealer, etc. He is a good outfielder, though. But what a waste in any lineup. Span is a good #9 on an American League team. Haha and Rizzo and his legion of fans (on here) thought Span was THE MISSING PIECE. What a complete joke

236. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

"I think people thought Span might hit .300 and get on base at a clip of .360 or so, while stealing 35 bases out of 40 and leading the league in runs scored."Who in the world thought that? I sure didn't. I expected him to hit .280, get on base around .350 and steal 20/25 bases. A disappointment either way.

237. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The problem with the Morse trade is that it was made at all. They really needed a power right handed bat that could spell Werth and Laroche. He was perfect for the role and he was only like 8 million a year. I know they thought that TyMo could fill that role, but that was speculation, and this was supposed to be world series or bust. Why would you trade a guy who could get you 300 at bats for prospects when you are actively trying to win the world series?But it's all water under the bridge now. The point is that I hope Rizzo learned that he has not been placing enough emphasis on offense in constructing this team.

238. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

239. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Haha for once, DP I agree with you 100%. What were people thinking? Anyone could look at his stats, even his basestealing stats to know he was a mediocre player with average to below average base stealing ability.Looking at Spans stats: not many doubles, whole lot of triples told the tale. His power was So weak that he lacked the ability to drive the ball into the gaps. With the triples meant that he could pull the ball down the line — a thing that weak hitters try to do. A danger sign — and no one but a few got it? Spans stats show that he is thrown out stealing 1/2 as many times as he attempts. That is not a good base stealer. Now we see that he has poor ability to get a good jump — that's pretty bad. And this is what Rizzo dumped a power slugger with a good avg for? Absolutely ludicrous. But I've been bitching about those deals since the winter. But I was spot on!! Unfortunately

240. Whack-a-Mule - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Mule has returned to the stable somewhat before time. After 1 1/2 innings, Mule turned into Eeyore and left the stadium, heading homeward. After sitting through the 19 innings of Friday and Saturday, today was just too much.Earlier, Mark quoted Desmond on clubhouse morale as "I think we're doing fine." Perhaps so. Mule would be disturbed to learn that the team and the clubhouse were "doing fine" after this level of humiliation in their own house.Further insight eagerly awaited.

241. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

NatsFansSinceStart, but Morse wasn't traded for Span. They could have kept both.

242. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

jeffwx said… 8. Willingham for brown/HRod a negative.I guess your point Ghost, that Rizzo could have gotten more for players is a good one. Too bad, Kasten left. I have long said he can't make good decisions without a baseball guy overseeing his moves. Worse than the Willingham trade was that Henry had no MiLB options and Rizzo stuck with him for 2 1/3 years of just frustrating baseball.

243. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM

WODL, I have to hand it to you. Anyone could complain about the pitching in a 9-1 blowout.It takes a special kind of fan to complain about a hitter who isn't even in the game, and whose replacement is 0-3 with 2Ks.Bravo!

244. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Not that I want any part of Espi – but Rendon looks to be a sub par infielder, one of the worst second baseman I've seen in years — literally. He is horrible. Now his hitting has cooled. After reading Rizzo's response to a reporter's questions about Espi, you can tell he's not in a good frame of mind about him right now. Espi wouldn't tell anyone that he was hurt or at least the extent of his injury v– he resisted coaching on his swing, or just couldn't get it — and Rizzo is pissed. But — if Rendon is as bad an infielder as I think he is, no matter what he hits, no team can afford to have him in the infield. hells, bells, he struggles to make that short throw. he is a fielding disaster waiting to happen — if he's destined to level off in the ,270's, and Espi Does find his swing — bring up Espi and give him 0ne —– last ——- look.

245. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

If you admit that you thought that Jayson Werth was only mildly exaggerating when he said that the Nats would win 120 games, admit it. You drank the Kool-Aid. And it was tasty….

246. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Haren to the rescue tomorrow!

247. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

hiramhoover, you get kudos for the most ignorant comment of the year. That's right. You can judge MLB players based on what they did today. You must want to trade Jordan Zimmerman. Wow, Chad Tracy had several hits yesterday, make him a starter.

248. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

A smart baseball man above Rizzo would've said if that is the best trade you can get for Willingham then we will keep him but there had to have been better deals out there just like for Michael Morse.Rizzo's biggest problem is timing his deals. If he traded Nyjer sooner or Henry or Marquis or Hairston then he may have found some better trades.

249. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It's baffling that the Dodgers, with all the money they've spent, still haven't locked up Kershaw–the best pitcher in all of MLB.

250. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Phillies shut out.

251. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Willingham could have really helped us.

252. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

What are earth are you talking about with regard to Rendon as an infielder? He has done a fine job at 2B considering he hasn't even played there since high school or something. And he projects as a plus 3B.

253. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

David, Kershaw will be locked up to a deal averaging $28 million per year. Not sure when it will be announced.

254. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

DP – Nats are about to trade Espi, Det, Moore and Haren and a ptbnl to the dodgers for Kershaw….You didnt know… *snickers*

255. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Phillies lose, Braves are losing. Had a perfect opportunity to gain ground. And again, we do nothing. And we do nothing in the most epic way possible. Well Werth is having a fine day…too bad it doesn't matter.

256. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

If morse was here we still wouldn't be a playoff team

257. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Kershaw is an amazing pitcher but he made several mistakes today including 2 tee'd up fastballs to RZim. That last HR by Werth was on a high pitch. Great job by JW getting his hands up to drive it.

258. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Werth is having the best day seeing Kershaw…, Kershaw has made a number of mistakes today…

259. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I''m following sjm's request not to yell for trading players or Davey…Let me say this…it is poetic that the lone run came from the ONLY offensive player on the team who has guts and is not a quitter and has won a World Serieswhen you get swept at home…you stink, this franchise is the worst in baseball as of 7/21/2013…. what gutless and cowardly group of quitters, the exception is Werrththis sorry no account team will lose between 85-90 games and the balled headed stooge Rizzo will make it worse..I have zero faith in that moron, just watching Hairston play says it all

260. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Whoever said Werth wasn't worth it. a comment: Don't look now, but Werth is by far our best hitter. He is keeping this sinking like the Titanic team together! Thus far, Werth was and still is worth his contract.Laroche: so bad. We signed him after his peak career year — at the age of 32. Anyone could have correctly guessed that things with Laroche would and could get NO better. And today, whats he got ? 3 ks? after missing just two games, he is so out of sorts that he might have needed some minor league rehab to get "back in shape." haha No wonder Laroche has such slow starts — after sitting for the winter, even the Spring isn't enough time for him to get ready. I wonder how much of it has to do with his severe ADD?

261. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Mattingly and his staff have done an incredible job coaching this series. Their decision late in the game to put Uribe at "no doubles" while Davey didn't do the same with RZim was a huge difference in strategies along with how each handled their bullpens and pinch-hitters.Davey's only coup seemed to be Bernadina's RBI single yesterday. Davey's moves just didn't work while Mattingly's moves worked out every time but the Bernadina single.

262. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

This team has QUITshame on them!!!!!

263. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I went to the grill and somehow we got a run. I am guessing it was a homer since we don't do multiple hits….

264. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

The Lerners need to act now, this is unacceptable

265. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Maybe we should be considering moving starters' dates based upon match-ups and just concede the games against opponents' aces, except we also seem to have trouble with other teams' worst pitchers, so maybe not.

266. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

mick said… I''m following sjm's request not to yell for trading players or Davey…Again, I'm nervous about Nats being in trade mode. If Rizzo follows his history of deadline moves the Nats will get future AAA stars like he got with Komatsu (Hairston) and bad glove Zach Walters (Marquis).

267. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Lerners made big money this week-end.

268. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Lets take account.catcher: no production, poor CS stats1b: .250 15 homers, but gold glove2b: rookie who looks very lost defensively – ss Desi is doing just fine3b: .280 10 homers, poor defensively, leading major league 3b in errosLF: Harper is not a good outfielder, and for all his potential, he is not producing — CF: Span — already talked about this lost soulRF: Werth is fine.So we have lots of potential, but only two really producing all around players: Werth and Desi — everyone else has problems.Shockingly, this team is not a good team right now — and no guarantees it will get better. I hope I'm wrong

269. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The outfield has been great today. Seriously.

270. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ghost… I was OK with Rizzo staying another season, now I think it would be the death knell of the franchise if this arrogant stooge stays on another year…he has done enough damage for 2 teams!!!

271. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Harper actually is an excellent outfielder, but he was a catcher just a few years back. You can't keep moving him all over. He should have left in one place from the beginning. He does look a bit lost in general since he ran into the wall. Leave it to the Nats to suck all the life out of Strasburg and Harper by over-managing them.

272. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The only Nationals who would be off the table for trades if I could be GM for a day would be Gio, Zimmermann, Stras, Harper, and maybe Kroll — everyone else? "Make me an offer!"

273. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

If Rendon grabs that Hanley grounder, Ohlendorf has 6 full no run innings. Great performance regardless.I'll ask again, why didn't he take Haren's spot in the rotation 2 months ago?

274. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I predict the Pirates will not only sweep the Nats, the run differential will something like 22-3 over the 4 games…that will put the streak at 7 and then the attendance will stay under 20,000 the rest of the year.The good news is the Lerners will tell Stooge Rizzo and Norv Turner to get the hell out of here!

275. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

"LF: Harper is not a good outfielder, and for all his potential, he is not producing"What? His OPS+ is 144. That means he's 44% better than average. Manny Machado's OPS+ for instance is 116. Werth's is 122.

276. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

WODLYou missed the point. Entirely.Why am I not surprised?

277. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Harper is an okay outfielder… He is still learning… He is a catcher playing OF and I obviously still learning…

278. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

One thing I will admit, I liked the Span trade but hoped at the time Rizzo would keep Morse.I think it would be smart to trade ALR if the Nats can move him for a good prospect.

279. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'll ask again, why didn't he take Haren's spot in the rotation 2 months ago?answer: the manager of the Nats is a jack ass, plain and simple

280. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I haven't seen any empirical evidence that Harper is an "excellent outfielder." He gets turned around the wrong way and still has trouble judging the ball.Let's move Harper back to catcher. Guarantee with he adrenaline rush of catching, his average would jump 100 points — not to mention, No One is stealing a base with Harper back there. He is not an outfielder

281. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I don't think the decision was between Morse and Span… But Morse and LaRoche…Glad that Morse is gone…

282. karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM

NatsFanSinceStart – just as important:Bench – worst in the majors.Farm System – utterly bereft of MLB-ready position player prospects.Unfortunately, these two points have troubling implications beyond this year. The younger guys HAVE to step it up if this team is going to return to contender status.

283. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I used to get a kick out of people dissing Morse' defense — even Davey. But just check out his fielding Avg in 2011 when he got to play 100 games or so at 1b. His fielding average was .02 higher than Laroche.– Laroche last year had a .984 FA — Morse that year had .982. And — surprisingly, Morse had 0.4 more chances per game than did Laroche. It was just a bad bad deal

284. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Harper 0-4 another K seems that the entire league knows that he's a sucker for the low, inside slider breaking into him. He always swings and always misses by a foot.Time for you to produce, Harp. I'm beginning to question you super star status

285. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Ghost, yes, I agree that they should now trade Laroche. If they can get him hot for a couple weeks, the Yankees would be pretty desperate for him. Get a good prospect and dump the salary.Also, Detroit is absolutely desperate for a closer. The Nats should decide if they think Storen is going to get back to being a closer type. If so, trade Soriano to the Tigers. If not, trade Storen to the Tigers. Either way, rake Detroit over the coals.Also listen on Span. They don't need to move him, but if you get a good offer, feel free.

286. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Okay NatsFanSinceStart, completely ignore what I said and continue trolling with the Harper bashing. I'll repost so you see it:"What? His OPS+ is 144. That means he's 44% better than average. Manny Machado's OPS+ for instance is 116. Werth's is 122."

287. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

DPHarper is a fantastic player. His defense is fine, and his offensive ceiling is thru the roof. But he is not producing at the plate right now.Those season stats were fueled by his red hot April. His #s for July are barely better than for May, before he went on the DL. His wRC+ for July is 97 (before today's 0-4). In other words, he's producing slightly below MLB average.I'm sure it will pick up, and I hope it's not a product of a lingering injury that hasn't yet been revealed. But it should be at least a mild concern.

288. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Now Davey brings Abad in. Where was he to face Schumaker in the top of the 7th yesterday to face Skip Schumaker in the LOOGY situation?That was the difference in the game yesterday.

289. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Those July numbers are largely fueled by the 0-19 he had after returning from the DL, I would imagine. Since then, I thought he's been fine. I'm open to being proven wrong though.

290. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I do not like Harper in the lead off….

291. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Hiramhover, if you want to make a good point, then make one. I can't be bothered to figure out your cryptic mutterings when I am trying to fix a baseball team….

292. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

OPS +? Too subjective for me to consider it an authentic gauge. When you have nerds subjectively judgting and adjusting numbers based on League and Ball Park effects, I am a little skeptical of hanging my hat on it.OPs: the best indicator, in my opinion.OPS + just OPS with gimmickery added in

293. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, you have said that about 1000 times, Mrs. B. You want to go down with ship with Span hitting his weak-ass grounders to first and pop-ups to 2nd. We know you believe that they should just wait out Span's five year slump. You say it every day no matter what.

294. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Could the Nats get Stanton for a package built around Desmond? How about Desmond plus Span plus Storen plus Karns?I don't want to trade Desi, but you have to do something to fix this lineup. And I'm not sure what you can do without tearing to down first. What this team really needs are some elite level hitters that provide a margin for error for everyone else.

295. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Interestingly enough Abad is in… I thought DJ may have been saving him for trade options…But I swear that inside pitch, Nats pitchers aren't getting…

296. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Harper's OPS is still high. His OPS is .895. Werth's is .812. Machado's is .804.So Harper is still pretty damn good, even by your own metric.

297. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

DPI wish that were true. Last 10 days, he's hitting .210 with 14 Ks.

298. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I hate being wrong. Who doesn't? But I pride myself on being man enough to admit it when I am wrong.And I was wrong about something.On April 1, I predicted the Nats were no better than a .500 club this year. But I was wrong. The Nats may finish 10 or more games UNDER ,500.

299. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

The empirical evidence that Harper is an excellent outfielder has to do with his fielding stats last year. Go look them up and then tell us why you disagree with his having better center field stats than Span last year since I am sure that you have already made up your mind….

300. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Unlike you William, I'm not hung up on Span… I just said that I don't like Harper in the lead off… But you continue to carry on that conversation… I'm beginning to think my Unknown or Unky were correct in his/her assessment….

301. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

"You say it every day no matter what."The same could be said about you dragging Span into every single conversation, no matter what. Half the discussion today has been about Span who isn't even playing, because you brought it up.

302. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Tampa Bay and Boston need set-up men and closers. There will be a chance for the Nats to trade for prospects.

303. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

No, you defend Span every single day on here without ever providing even a bit of statistics to back it up. You charm us with brilliant insights like, "I would just wait out his slump." Comments like that are a waste of time.

304. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

David – which is why I don't pay attention to what most of William says… Same thing, different day… I'm over it…

305. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

WODLSee DP at 4:21–is that clear enough for you?Thanks, DP.

306. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

And have you noticed that our offense has been better today without Span? We have gotten 2 runs off an excellent pitcher.

307. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

There is not one player (maybe werth) who doesn't pitch who is better than average. NONE!!!!!!

308. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Yes, Span's absence is entirely responsible for Werth's two solo homers.Wow.

309. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Idk why y'all even bother sometimes…

310. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

William, Please. Looking up stats to prove whose a better outfielder is folly. A ball that is misjudged and goes over the lost outfielders head get ruled a hit — and DOES NOT SHOW UP IN THE STATS. You know that, right? I am not a huge Span fan. But one thing Span does better than Harper? he is a superior outfielder Harper. Don't you see how often Harper looks awkard in tracking a fly ball — twice today alone? William, do we watch the same game? To summarize: the one thing Span does better than Harper is fielding his position. harper is a converted catcher and looks like itoo

311. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Wow Abad. How do you do that? He had no intention of ever swinging and you walk him. Mattheus is returning soon…

312. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Was Abad doing a pitch around to get to the lefty? ;(

313. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Let's all stipulate for the record that Mrs. B doesn't like Harper as the lead-off. Heard and noted. Now if you have some sort of insight as to why he isn't suited for lead-off, I am all ears. Tell us based upon batting order and production and on base percentage and slugging and running stats, why Harper is a horrible choice for lead-off, but all you ever say is the same phrase over and over.

314. Unknown - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Well, the only bright side is that we've found our 5th starter — Ohlendorf. He deserves a shot. Wow, even with my tempered expectations (90 wins and 6th place in NL, just missing WC #2), this is a disappointing season. Even the optimists must admit there is NO CHANCE of a run to the playoffs. A .500 season is now a stretch goal. What a disaster. The only ones who aren't underperforming is the fans, who keep coming in droves to watch wretched baseball. Wonder when the Post will do a story on that? Oh, I already know, NEVER!

315. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Here is a list of free agents this off season. Not sure who the Nats should sign to add some pop to this line up if Cano is not a possibility.They could trade Span and move Harper back to center and sign Choo or something. But assuming RZim is moving to first, you have to sign a 2B or a 3B (depending on where Rendon stays). And that 2B or 3B has to be better than Laroche or you have just made your bad offense worse. http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mlb/2014-free-agents/

316. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Looking forward to seeing Mattheus

317. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Maybe. But Harper has twice the arm that Span has and he is still in improvement mode, dude. Span is what he is and is sliding by the day….

318. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Uhm… Well he kept the score the same… I guess… Abad seems to be getting the HRod treatment…And NatsFanSinceStart – Harp is a good outfielder… But he is learning… If the Of is where he is gonna be, he is gonna go thru some trials…

319. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

TexNat: Who said Morse was traded for Span. Morse was dumped for two low minor leaguers — After Span was acquired. Hello?

320. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

And I agree entirely with what you say about fielding stats, natsfanfromstart, but it is just as easy to overestimate the value of an outfielder who looks smooth out there and the same thing happens in basketball and soccer. Some guys look better than they are and some guys look worse. Harper is a better outfielder than he appears. Span is about as good as he appears, but he ain't diving for balls out there they way that Harper does. If Span can't catch it smoothly, he doesn't bother…

321. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That is my point. The mistake was letting Morse go after that trade. They needed him as a fourth outfielder. You (or someone else, I can't remember) were acting as if getting Span meant they had to get rid of Morse. Not so.

322. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Mrs B: Harper will be a good outfielder, one day soon, he just doesn't look comfortable out there right now. Better than MOrse, better than Lombo. Harper can do anything he wants. I'd like to see him catching. Although, that we'll never see. But I would surely enjoy his energy and arm behind that plate. The other day they caught a camera shot of Harper in left yawning between pitches. That boy needs to be more involved — let him catch – watch him hit

323. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Chad Tracy is on fire. Trade him!

324. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you NFSS… I think Harp is a good Of… Certainly not top caliber… Yet… But I think he will get there…Definitely has some growing pains, and we saw some this year…

325. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Maybe Tracy finally got it going…. Lol…

326. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Yeah, we agree, Tex. I'm still mad about those moves — literally. The team's record and comportment, I think are directly related to those bad moves. Who in his right mind could even compare the offensive production of Span to Morse (when Morse is healthy that is). And as I pointed out earlier, Morse, while a lousy outfielder, was an excellent first baseman. Afterall, he came up as a Cal ripken style big Shortstop — they should have let Laroche go onto his merry way. Next year, Laroche will be Worse — he'll be 34 and an old 34 at that. Span too. Span looks like an old man to me. His numbers are dropping — and will be worse next year too. What does Rizzo do? He is in deep doo doo if you ask me

327. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I agree with you B — Harper will get there — I think he can do anything that he wants. Actually, I'd go all in and train him to be our Permanent Center fielder. Bye Bye Span — don't spend those millions in one placeOr, bat Span 8th — and move his weak arm to left field.It is rare to see a major league team playing its strongest arm in LF. Actually I'd bring up Corey Brown — -put him in Center, Harper in Right and Werth in Left — that's my September outfield