Game 98: Dodgers at Nats

Jul 21, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

Fresh off two losses to begin the season's second half, matters won't get any easier for the Nationals with Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw (8-6, 1.98 ERA) on the mound. He takes the ball for the Dodgers who will go up against Jordan Zimmermann (12-4, 2.58), making for a pretty decent pitching matchup on Sunday afternoon.

Kershaw is 4-2 with a 3.27 ERA against the Nationals in his career. In three starts at Nationals Park, however, the lefty has struggled with seven earned runs in 10 1/3 innings.

Adam LaRoche is back in Washington's lineup, giving Davey Johnson a chance to shake things up. He has Bryce Harper playing center field and batting leadoff, with Scott Hairston in left and batting seventh. This is only the second game this season Harper has been the Nats' starting center fielder and the second time he has batted first.

Matt Kemp returns to center for the Dodgers after missing time with irritation in the A/C joint of his left shoulder. Today is the first time this season that Kemp, Hanley Ramirez and Carl Crawford are all in the Dodgers' lineup at the same time.

Updates to come…

LOS ANGELES DODGERS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, Ch. 9, TBS, MLB.tv
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500), XM 89
Weather: Isolated storms (50% chance of rain), 89 degrees

CF Bryce Harper
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth

1. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Everyone stay hydrated today. I just found out that beer is not a good way to hydrate but its too late for me to change strategies. GoNats!!

2. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

so, how is everyone today?lol

3. mick - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

coachi always say…keep drinking until you hydratelol

4. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Just looked closer and see that Puig is out today with Kemp back in. I didn't read game posts but in the post game analysis no one talked about him trying to get Bryce at first base on his single to right. I would have loved to have seen that throw sail past Gonzalez allowing us a runner on 2nd.Kid must be cocky as hell.

5. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hey Mick – remember, don't fire or trade anyone during the game!!

6. sjm308 - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Not even Davey!!

7. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Ok, boys, let's right the ship today. GYFNG!!!

8. The Real Feel Wood. Accept no substitutes. - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

It was Desi that Puig tried to nail at first on a single, not Bryce. Desi then responded to that assault on his hustlehood by stealing second.

9. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

It was Desmond not Bryce. But he is very cocky. I was in section 136 last night and he was even showing of in warm ups. Lol.

10. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Score some runs, Nats. Score some runs.

11. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

sjm, from previous thread, tracy would be my candidate.

12. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Phil is going to win the British Open so I can stomach watching the Nats today, I already had my sports high for the day. Go Nats!

13. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I am havibg my pregame hot dog at picnic tabkea behibd 313. In my 27 red jersey.

14. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

JoeS – "until the magic number says we're eliminated I hold out hope." agreed.

15. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Faraz, I hadn't realized that Mark had put up a new thread when I posted on the last one. I'm bringing it over here:I missed the game last night. First one all year that I missed the entire game. Then I read a lot of the blog here, got very depressed, but not just because of the Nats are not performing well.Like NatsLady, my wife and I also make sacrifices so as we can watch as many games in person as possible. Our team just is so frustrating right now. Honestly, they suck. But I still cheer for them, warts and all. I don't despise any of them. I still think Rizzo has overall done a helluva job, but things didn't work out as planned this year. As to Davey Johnson, he has made some moves that are indefensible, yet that said, I still feel that this franchise, and we as fans, were fortunate to have had him. I'm sorry to see such vile come out of some here directed at Mike and Davey, but it's your right. I don't agree with it, but that's me. I still feel very thankful to both of them for last year, and also for giving us such high hopes for this year. It's been a long time for some of us older folks here to have had reasonable hope coming into a season for a major league baseball team. It's a bummer that this season has been so frustrating, but every day I am so thankful that we have a team and that I don't have to give Peter Angelos my money if I want to watch a live ML Baseball game.As to the rest of this season? I certainly can't keep up my mantra of "Relax, we got this," but until the magic number says we're eliminated I hold out hope. And if they get eliminated the first week of September? We'll still go to as many games as we can get to and cheer them on. And next year? We'll renew our partial plan. GYFNG! Let's play ball!

16. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Nice response by Bryce about Puig's throw.

17. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Incidently, regarding Puig, and his cockiness? As long as he stays clean, I love watching that level of raw talent play the game. I wish we had him.

18. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Faraz, what did Bryce say?

19. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Seamhead, I was in the game thread for most of it. You didn't miss anything.

20. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Sofa, "I feel like I'm playing against myself with that arm."

21. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Liking our chances todaySteal home Bryce

22. A DC Wonk - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM

For most of the season's first half, the Nationals' offensive woes could be condensed to one simple fact: They weren't putting enough men on base. But over the last few weeks, and especially the last two nights, the problem hasn't been an inability to put guys on base. It's been an inability to bring them home.OK, now this, at first glance might seem like a real stretch to see the glass half-full, but, seriously, if we think about it . . . it is progress.The point being: if the Nats keep getting the hits, the runs will come. Maybe not Friday and Saturday, but if they keep getting 10+ hits a game, runs will come.Really, if we think about it, it's much better than getting 4 hits per game (which happened all too frequently earlier this season).Yes, I'm frustrated. and losing, 7 of the last 9 really sucks, but we're lucky that the Braves and Phils continue to miss opportunities to pull ahead much further.Keep getting the hits, boys, if you do, the runs will come and so will the wins.

23. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Was sweltering in sect 135 next to the mayor of natstown….No seats to stretch out but the mayor was his entertaining self along with the vendors, fake presidents, nats police and father and son combo shouting "Finish him Gio" and so he did.

24. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Joe, I echo your 12:37 post.

25. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Good post WonkIf you hit it, the runs will comeGo the DistanceWhat was the third one ?

26. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

modified version of field of dreams line. nice!"if you hit it, the runs will come."

27. Another_Sam - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Seamhead – I was waiting to see you on this thread so I could comment on your last remark on the previous thread. Just wanted to say thank you, man. I always enjoy reading your thoughts. I'm with you we have a club. Lets watch em and have fun and get frustrated and … Thanks, man.

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

So much for the rumors that Kemp would be out to mid-August.

29. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Ease his pain

30. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: We just don't recognize life's most significant moments while they're happening. Back then I thought, "Well, there'll be other days." I didn't realize that that was the only day.

31. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM

And today we face the best pitcher in the league….Sigh…Go Nats!

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Dodgers have this series won… Not sure I would have put Kemp out there…. But Mattingly has shown he can manage….

33. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

And JoeS – although DJ has made a muck of things this year with some of his terrible managing decisions, he also has my utmost respect… I feel he has definitely been the best manager the Nats have had… I sure don't miss Riggleman or Acta…I was hoping he can go out on top (still hoping) but he has definitely had a good ride and I will remember him fondly while as a Nats manager…

34. baseballswami - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

No , Mrs B– today the dodgers have to face the best pitcher in the league.

35. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

come on Swami, I love Zmann but Kershaw is Kershaw.

36. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Lol Swami – I'm as big a homer as they come….But Kershaw is the best in the league…He is 1a… Zimmermann is 1b…

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I think with Road/Home splits, JZim is the best starter in baseball. Kershaw is the best off all pitchers overall with or without park adjustments.

38. Kirbs - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I see another 1-0 2-1 game….hope its our way….

39. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

So watch, it'll be a football score.

40. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I guess 2-0 is technically a football score.

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Yep, a game of inches. 2 hits over the infielders.

42. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Did you see the Nats police kick out the little kid from the field seats late in the game? That dude was taking his job way too seriously. Felt bad for the kid. He kept yelling at the kid "Where is your seat!" until the kid gave in and went back to his seat.

43. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

And a hit right at someone.

44. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Good hitters put the barrel on balls that catch too much of the plate. Bad hitters don't. Has nothing to do with a hiiting coach.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

And a doink caught for the 3rd out. Dodgers had 2 line drives and 2 doinks and 1 groundout and 1 doink and 1 line drive were the hits. Put bat on ball and let BABIP work.

46. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

So what upgrades do we need in hitting that we can do something aboutspan, alr and the bench..a great outfielder or 1b hitter and improved bench

47. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Bad hitters also swing at bad pitches

48. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I do not like Bryce Harper leading off at all…

49. timeless46 - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Gosh, Kershaw has an odd windup …..

50. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Good hitters foul off pitcher's pitches–bad hitters put them into play.

51. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

yes, it could also be we are a bit too young right now (harper, rendon, ramos) but with potential

52. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sorry guys, I just turned it off again after the Rendon strikeout. I just can't bear to watch any more of this team.

53. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Where the hell was that blue???? Same damn pitch Kershaw got…

54. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Matt Kemp…good hitter

55. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

MrsB, agreed. JZim doesn't get that 1-2 pitch and BAM.

56. Sec. 1 D, 10 T, My Sofa - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, that was a good example of what Jack was talking about, all right.

57. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Game over?

58. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM

These balls are seriously hit hard…. I mean they are teeing off JZ…Good Lord…

59. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Jordan just getting rocked.

60. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Zimmerman getting hammered.

61. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

RZim plays in so close at 3rd that the double goes right over his glove. That's where his inability to make throws and play deeper costs the Nats once again in defensive positioning and the flood gates open.

62. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Unh unh unh….

63. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

This team is much better than we are.

64. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

This games over. Bring on the Pirates.

65. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

if we score two runs, lets count it

66. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

As much as I like our big 3 on the mound, I can't honestly say that i trust any of them to get us a big win when we need one. They just don't seem to be able to do it when we have to have it.

67. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Wow… Is Jordan scared to get rocked??? Everything was away…

68. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM

They need to yank Jordan. He was too hurt to pitch on Tuesday.

69. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I think Kershaw's wind-up is very close to being illegal.

70. ExposedinDC - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Agreed William , in all facets of the game,,,really not even close

71. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jordan is hurt… He's got to be….

72. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

What the heck just happened.

73. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Why do we pitch guys who are injured? Wow! Terrible start to the second half….

74. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Dodgers get 240 mill/year from their cable contractWe get 29 ?

75. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We should be sellers at he deadline. This team is toast.

76. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

The odds of our winning this game are close to zero….

77. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

FP: A long way to go in this game.Me: That's a MASN plea to not turn off your TV

78. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Credit to the Dodgers. They pile on.

79. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

This is karma for Jordan's refusing to pitch on Tuesday.

80. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

The great players want to pitch in the All Star game. I was very disappointed by Jordan's decision.

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Zimmermann to the DL…

82. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

This team is sucking the joy of watching baseball right out of me.

83. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The Lerners are the richest owners in baseball and they knew the set-up when they bought the team.

84. Greg Essner - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

grow some balls Rizzo you fricking loser this city deserves better than this shiiiiii.

85. Alphabet Soup Erik - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hahahahahaha…where are all the Hanley haters? Dude is going to win the MVP and lead the Dodgers to the World Series…hey, but we have the Air Mail over there at 3B with his hometown discount…lol…McCutchen signing for 6 years and 51 million is a discount…Rizzo signing Werth and Zimmerman to these deals should get him fired.

86. ExposedinDC - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

At least now we should be sellers….hooray 2014….innings limit for everybody

87. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

good day to play lombo

88. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thank God. This is much more pleasant than the alternative we've been served for the last 3 months. Now if they'll indulge me further and drop all 4 to the pirates this week, I can truly let go of this team and live a life free of fistholes and screaming fits

89. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Wow…. Never thought this would happen… Wow…

90. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:16 PM

JZim has 0-2 and doesn't get the inside pitch once again. Why go there.

91. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Jeffwx,How does 68 or 78 sound.

92. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Different SZ. And I'm sorry, I love Bryce but I do not want him playing Cf…

93. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Certainly not 88.

94. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Dan Haren, Denard Span and Soriano were the guys we brought in and all 3 have been a disaster….

95. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Honestly who freaking cares how many runs they score. THe game was over at 1-0. It's Kershaw. We lost this game after the national anthem

96. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The batters had to know that Suzuki likes fastball in on RH batters in 2 strike counts. It's as if they were sitting on it. Hanley's was a poor slider.

97. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

88 games doesn't sound good today but it may sound better next sunday

98. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Ya gotta have somethin to sell to be sellers.

99. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM

We need Span leading off. That is why we are losing and just think if Span were in center today, why the score would be …..

100. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Werth. Where was that the last 2 nights?

101. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Take that with your illegal wind up, Kershaw!

102. nats guy - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Oh its going to get better against the Pirates.After this game they would have to go 40 and 24 to or .625 to get 88 wins. Not going to happen. Pray for a .500 season.

103. baseballswami - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Oh, I think maybe this team is exactly what these fans deserve. No- maybe the fans around here deserve the Astros- fickle and immature as they are. Don't see why Rizzo is even trying to please them. They probably even kick injured animals on the side of the road. You keep saying you are done? Go, then. I hear the Yankees are always in the market for shallow " fans".

104. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Wont be 20 thousand at any game this week. Wont get another nickel from me this year. Disgusting. Meanwhile that jerk Angelo's team is rolling.

105. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The Dodgers scored 4 runs with 2 outs. If JZim got Hanley. Maybe you have a fighting chance. No way does Mattingly lose with a 7 run cushion with Kershaw.

106. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

We'll see…

107. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Well this series is a disaster. No other way to put it. I won't even say the P-Word anymore. It would be silly to. The good news is core of the team is still very good. The supporting cast needs to be overhauled by Rizzo in the offseason.

108. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Good Lord… span ain't playing today yet he is bought up… I swear I'm beginning to think Span did something to folks…Nice hit Werth… But uhm one day we will not just have solo homers…

109. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

As I said to JD about 3 weeks ago when the Dodgers were 8 games under .500 I said the Dodgers would win the NL West with 86 wins.

110. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Davey gave away the first 2 games… This one, I seriously am wondering if JZimm is hurt…

111. Greg Essner - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

mike Rizzo idiot of the year

112. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

While I think JZ was having control issues, it is amazing that the only link between Dodgers and Cardinals (JZ's old nemesis) is Mark McGwire, the hitting coach.

113. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Ghost – yeah I said the Dodgers would win that division… Thought they were too talented… They got hit with the injury bug bigger than us…

114. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I just happened to check the score. You know what folks…..the Nationals have given up.

115. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Cliff Lee has given up 5 runs in 3 innings to the Mets.

116. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Maybe Mark McGwire is hooking the Dodgers up with some of what he used…

117. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Rabbit34, did you even watch the game? with your best pitcher, the game is 1-7 means team has given up? you did not stop to think that maybe JZ is having a bad day.

118. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Phillies getting creamed too….by the Mets

119. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Span did do something. He disappointed supremely. We could have signed someone for the outfield with some power who fields just as well and we got ZERO home runs, low obp, few or no steals, a general inability to bunt or score runs and some decent center field play. We would have won several more games if we had decent production in the center field position.

120. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

uh David, I was implying that maybe McGwire has a good book on JZ but if you wanna go with that, that's fine with me.

121. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

122. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

It could end up being a blessing that the Nats offense got exposed this year. Rizzo needs to understand that the offense is not good enough. The lineup must be shaken up. The Lerners need to break the bank and sign Cano.

123. UnkyD - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Question: Does Zimn throw too many strikes? If a good hitting team, like these guys, knows everything is in or near the zone, aren't they then more or less able to swing away, knowing they have a good chance to make contact? Might a game like this be a learning experience…?

124. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Wow they certainly have Swami drinking the koolaidThese aren't shallow fans. THEY ARE FANS WHO ARE FRUSTRATED. The wouldn't post or watch if they didn't care. QUIT PREACHING SWAMI. _

125. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

WODL, please do suggest where this mythical player signed last off-season?

126. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

TexNat, and do what with Rendon?

127. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Signing Cano would be a disaster. He's 30 already. He'll get a contract that puts Werth's to shame. And a lot of years. No thank you.

128. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Haren, Span and Soriano have all been divisive acquisitions. We had a core of guys who loved playing together and Rizzo brought in these three mediocre guys who have garnered huge attention for being mediocre to plain bad. That is a clubhouse killer. Bring back Morse and get rid of Span and Storen and Haren and Soriano….

129. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

David Proctor said… Maybe Mark McGwire is hooking the Dodgers up with some of what he used…Yah, it is something called knowledge. Try it some time. Very obvious signs that the Dodgers were sitting on inside fastballs in 2 strike counts like they knew it was coming.

130. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Rendon to 3rdzimm to first

131. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Soriano has been great. You don't get rid of a great player because some internet commenters don't like him. Sorry.

132. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Nice play by Rendon.

133. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Nice play guys… Lets chip away… *sigh*

134. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Where is NatsLady and all her optimism??? Huh??? Probably waiting for two hits TOGETHER or an 2 run double to say how we're going to win the world series!!! hahaha………….too many beer and wiping of tears!!

135. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I'm so glad some fans aren't GMs….

136. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I wasn't being serious with the McGwire thing guys. Jesus christ.

137. UnkyD - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

At least Rendon will be fun to watch, the rest of the way…. Outstanding relay!

138. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

If we had gotten 14 homers in April from our center fielder, I think we just might be in first place. Swap Span for Upton and we are definitely better. Now, maybe not in the long run because Span was cheap, but Rizzo would have done better to stand pat than risk what he did by bringing Span. Hey, it might have worked. I can see that, but I can also see that it didn't work and that is why Span is sitting on the bench today in favor of a guy that the Cubs didn't want.

139. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

140. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Nice to see that 9-4-5 putout!

141. SonnyG10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I take back what I said (or thought) about Rendon's relays not being as good as Espi's. That throw was perfect.

142. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Jeff – I don't think Zimm should move to 1st… Think he is solid at 3rd… 1st is such an important position and People don't see how much value Adam brings to the position… He has saved so many poor throws by Ryan, Desi and Espi/Rendon…That is one of the big reasons why I wanted Adam resigned last year…

143. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

WODL GREAT POINT. Maybe Davey steps down today. I can dream.

144. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Zook hit it hard…. But right at someone… Come on luck…

145. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Faraz…get a clue. Get real. Get to know baseball. I love Zimm. Nothing I said has anything to do with Zimm. Man, go back to sleep. And no. I haven't watched the game from the first inning strikeouts. Read my post.

146. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I'm surprised the dodger played tried to stretch that double into a triple… With 2 outs, and a 6 run lead…

147. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

WODL, Justin was not a FA. Also have you seen his stats since April?

148. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Hey proctor your always preaching to folks to.stay glassy. Yet you utter the words JC. Talk about no class. And on Sunday too.

149. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Faraz Shaikh said… Come on GoSM, JZ's control was off. Suzuki would frame outside but he would pitch right down the middle. Hanley's HR was such a pitch.Read my comment at 2:18. I already acknowledged that slider that went outside-in.JZim hit the mitt on the 1-2 to Kemp and didn't get the inside call. Suzuki set up there again on the black and BAM, a long pulled HR.3 of the hits by RHs were the inside fastball in 2 stike counts.

150. NatsJack in Florida - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

151. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I'm not religious. I apologize if anyone was offended by me saying that. That's still far different from joking about a guy getting kidnapped and hoping someone gets sick.Nice try though.

152. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Bryce had a few perfect pitches that he fouled off….

153. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Well Cliff Lee is getting beat up pretty badly. I guess it's a race to the bottom between the Phillies and Nats right now.

154. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ross O will pitch Friday against the Mets in the double header right?

155. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Werth playing some good RF.

156. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

NatsJack in Florida said… Bryce hets a 3-2 cookie down the middle and fouls it off. Ramirez crushes that pitch.That's what some of the people here don't realize is that mistake pitches aren't always hit well. Just watch BP or the last 2 days of the Nats.

157. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

This Dodgers team we are seeing is the one that most folks thought would be around from the beginning…They are getting hot at the right time…

158. phil dunton - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Where has Mike Rizzo been hiding lately? When things go bad, Rizzo and Eck disappear from the TV cameras.

159. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Yeah well most folks thought we'd be around from the beginning too. Hasn't happened for us. How come it gets to happen for them?Life ain't fair, man.

160. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If you know what's coming with pitch type and location and know its a straight 4 seam you can tee-off.Ramos calls a much better game than Kurt. It gets missed by many here. JZim can usually over-power the Righties on inside heat but not when they're looking for it.

161. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hanley hit in the jock strap with that pickoff attempt ;)

162. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The issue is for 60 games or so, we were walking automatic outs out on the field… It was ridiculous, some of the line ups…But it's not like the Dodgers have the best record… They are 1 game over 500, about to be 2….

163. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

The key word David was JOKED. I did. You did not. Now back to our beloved team.

164. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Yeah but luckily for the Dodgers 1. they're trending way up, we're not. I'd be way more optimistic if we were playing good baseball2. the NL West sucks

165. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

That single by Hanley that Rendon couldn't dig has turned into 2 runs. smh

166. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I'm one who thinks Zook calls a better game… But I think Jordan missed his location and of course the pitch before Kemp hit the Hr was called wrong…I honestly think Jordan is hurt… Put him on the DL…Of course that creates other issues…

167. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

mrs. b, just responding to another post regarding where you put Rendon if another 2b shows upHey Carp, lot of dodger blue at the game last night so not everyone going home unhappy

168. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I think not only will I stop going to the games but will stop watching them too. Not going to waste my time watching this crap. So fn embarrassing.

169. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Hairston was no help there either, Ghost. Bryce would've had a good chance to make that throw to the plate. Span being out weakens the OF, IMHO.

170. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

This is painful…

171. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

*Obessed no more :(

172. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

but the dodgers are about to go 20-5 in their 25.It can happen

173. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Rizzo got hammered in the Post today for saying that he has been too busy to see Espinosa in AAA and that the only way he can evaluate Espinosa is by seeing him in person. That is the old time scout stuff taken too far, but maybe he was not being straightforward and just doesn't want to deal with Espinosa when his empire is falling apart all around him, mostly due to his off-season acquisitions, Span, Soriano and Haren.

174. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I watched and loved this team when we lost 100 games, I'll watch and love them through this. Even if it is extremely disappointing.

175. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM

And Rendon should've been charged with an error.

176. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I'll be there with you, David.

177. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

We can thank the Dodgers also for sucking royally when they played the Braves but saving all their big guns for us….

178. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Yeah, we should put Span in now to strengthen the defense. Having Hairston out there cost us the game….

179. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

What Rizzo said was that he couldn't make a judgement on Espinosa based on box scores.

180. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I've been with this team since 2005 also DP… A lot of the talk about I'm never watching, never coming back is hot air…Cuz folks keep watching and coming back…

181. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

But NJ, Harper is 20…bet Hanley missed a couple of cookies at 20 too.

182. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

At least the Pirates are coming in next.Wait, what's that? They're good now?Sh*t.

183. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

12 hits in 4 innings. With Jordan on the DL, we are truly in trouble….

184. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

What was that? A 5 pitch inning?

185. Joe Seamhead - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Douglas, I didn't say he cost us the game. I said he weakens the OF. No, not even Span could've kept all those home runs in the park.

186. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Why can't he make a judgment based on box scores? It doesn't seem to me that his Scout-sense always serves him that well….. Let's trade Rizzo for Billy Beane….

187. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM

The fact is that it is difficult for any player to be as bad offensively as Span is and make up for it with only fielding. Base running and fielding, maybe, but Span's base running has been horrible, as have his other small ball skills….

188. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It's getting to be a little ridiculous right now with all these base hits… Are the scouts/coaches not putting folks in the right place???Werth seems to be out of position a lot in RF…

189. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I think Rizzo will be a seller now at the trade deadline and just hope he doesn't make any more of his poor trades. I still laugh about those who think the Suzuki trade was a "great" one. That trade is called the classic big salary dump and Beane is still laughing.By the way, me, you and everyone else could've made the Gio Gonzalez trade if you were willing to trade 2 starting pitchers and 2 top prospects (Cole and Norris).

190. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Rizzo managed to suck all the fun out of baseball for Harper this year. He looks like a shell of himself from April and September of last year….

191. karlkolchak - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

William O. Douglas Loeffler – my take on the Espi comments by Rizzo was that they reflected extreme exasperation with a player who is as responsible as anyone for this disaster of a season and whose agent just had the audacity to complain about him not being recalled after having a couple of productive weeks at AAA. Boras knows that if Danny rots as Syracuse the rest of the year he may well lose enough service time so as to not be arbitration eligible and virtually automatically get the big raise this offseason that I'm sure Rizzo and the brass do not feel he deserves.

192. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Rizzo, good scout, not a good trader.

193. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Rizzo to Harper: "Listen kid. We are going to do you a favor. Center field is too hard for you. You don't have all of the capabilities to be a center fielder. We are going to bring in a ringer to play center field and let you relax by moving from right to left to right to left as needed, so you can just focus on hitting…. It'll work out great, trust me…."

194. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Could we have gotten more for Morse ?Certainly, Alex Meyer.

195. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM

It seemed to me that Rizzo sort of treated Bowden badly.

196. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

well, a good game in Atlanta

197. William O. Douglas Loeffler - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

This is embarrassing.

198. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We got a lot for Morse. AJ Cole and Ian Krol is a pretty good haul. There was also another pitcher, but I can't remember his name (so not an impact player, I assume).

199. jeffwx - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Agreed, DP

200. ObsessedNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Was talking about this year. Should have clarified. I'm not even a season tickets holder and have gone to 70% of their home games this year and only missed 2 or 3 games on TV. I love this team and will always root for them. But unless a miracle happens and they turn it around I'm going to any more games this year. Have to admit I will probably still watch some games but not as much :)