Jul 21, 2013, 3:14 AM EST
|USA Today Sports Images|
Game in a nutshell: If you thought Friday night's game was frustrating, how about the first three innings of this one? The Nationals put six men on base against Zack Greinke and couldn't bring any of them home, leaving many in the sellout crowd of 41,816 to boo the home team. Fortunately, Gio Gonzalez was in top form, dominating over six scoreless innings. And then, the Nats finally got a big hit with a man in scoring position when pinch-hitter Roger Bernadina singled to right to score Chad Tracy in the bottom of the sixth. Unfortunately, Drew Storen immediately gave the run back in the top of the seventh on a pair of two-out hits. The game now tied, the Nationals had more opportunities to plate the go-ahead run and simply couldn't do it, frustrating the crowd even more. By the time the Dodgers scored twice off Craig Stammen in the top of the 10th, those who remained could barely muster the energy to react. The Nationals went down in the bottom of the inning, losing for the seventh time in nine games and falling below the .500 mark for the first time since June 19.
Hitting lowlight: Pick an inning. Any inning will suffice. The Nationals stranded the bases loaded in the first. They stranded two runners in the third. They stranded two in the seventh. They leftRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team