Instant analysis: Dodgers 9, Nats 2

Jul 21, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT

Associated Press

Game in a nutshell: If you thought Friday and Saturday night's 3-2 and 3-1 losses were aggravating, what do you consider this demolishing in the final game of a brutal series? Jordan Zimmermann got rocked, giving up seven runs in the second inning alone. That left the rest of the Nationals needing to score a touchdown against Clayton Kershaw. Good luck with that. If not for Jayson Werth's two solo homers, Kershaw tossed a seven-inning no-hitter against the Nats, striking out nine without issuing a walk. Ross Ohlendorf did manage to turn in the equivalent of a "quality start" out of the bullpen, giving up two runs over six innings in relief of Zimmermann. But that was a grasp at a silver lining on an otherwise miserable afternoon at the ballpark. Having been swept by L.A., the Nationals now have lost eight of 10 overall and have fallen to two games under the .500 mark with 64 to play.

Hitting lowlight: Believe it or not, there was a highlight. Actually, there were two of them: Werth's homers off Kershaw. Otherwise, the Nationals did absolutely nothing at the plate against theRead more ยป

1. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Mercifully over.

2. Clip&Store - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Uh oh I got an issue…I'm running out of dark jokes for this team after pathetic losses/stretches of losses. I guess I've used up my seasons worth already, and we're not even a week past the all star break.Here's my best shot today: Hey at least Jayson kept us from getting perfect gamed by Kershaw!

3. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

This was a forgettable series…. I can't forget it fast enough…

4. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Well said David, Well said.

5. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

You know, Tracy is a real piece of work. Every time you think his time is about up, he pulls a 3 hit game and then another hit today out of his ass. Where has this been all year?

6. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

2 of 3 to the Marlins. Now this. They Stink.

7. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

DJ finally got him going…

8. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Bright spot… Werth got 2 Hrs… And Ross O… What does he have to do to crack the SP rotation….

9. Secret wasian man - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:48 PM

well said again david well said.

10. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

bright side, we win without JZ pitching. another bright side, braves just lost so we are still in it.

11. jeeves - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

And of course Werth gets two homeruns when it made absolutely no difference. Two homeruns in either of the first two games likely would have done it. But this seems to be the mantra of the club this year. Tracey got three hits yesterday but the day before when it would have made a difference he produced nothing.

12. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM

As I said earlier, playoffs are still possible but I refuse to think about it anymore. If we reel off some wins, I'll look at the standings. Until then, I don't care. The Nationals have to play well, what the Braves or Phils do doesn't matter.

13. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

David, true but technically we would still be in it until someone clinches.

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

At least this one wasn't pinned on Davey. At 3-0 it looked bleak but Davey and his staff were WAY out-coached all series. Mattingly, Honeycutt, and McGwire did an amazing job. Like I said in the 1st game, Mattingly was treating it like Game 6 and Davey like it was 2011.

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Faraz, the Braves aren't good right now and neither are the Nats. It's not the pitching although in the last 10 days Stras and JZim both had clunkers.

16. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Interesting press conference for DJ… Tis was the only loss not on him…Kinda tough/honest questions…

17. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Dammit Ghost – stop saying what I'm gonna say… *snickers*

18. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM

GoSM, before season I thought NL East would be tough to win. While that is true, it is all for wrong reasons. It is like no one wants it.

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM

MrsB, I like the way you think considering we almost always agree. We just disagree on Morse.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Faraz, I agree with you. It might be 88 wins takes it.9 head to head games but not sure Davey is up to managing this team if this Dodgers series is proof. So many clear mistakes. I can't even say the team formation is the problem. The personnel where there to make all the right moves and Davey just didn't do it.

21. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Ghost,In addition to coaching the Dodgers have an excellent collection of talent clicking on all cylinders, they are right up there with the Cardinals as the best teams in the NL at this point and by quite a margin. absolutely the worst possible matchup for the Nats coming out of the break. I was scared about this series and I said so although I am with you about Davie, if he was gonna retire he should have done it before the season started.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM

JD, what did I say to you 3 weeks ago when the Dodgers were 8 games under .500?

23. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

In all fairness to the usual punching bags we are also getting sorry performances lately from some of the fan favorites like: JZim, Rendon, Ramos and Desi who managed to have a 2 hit game against Nolasco but failed in the one spot which would have won the game for us.

24. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Most Nats fans disagree with me on Morse… And I understand… I liked him as much as the next, but I realized he was weak in the OF and during our winning time last season, he wasnt as great as a contributor as some believe becuz he was on the DL…That is his issue… I didnt and couldn't see the Nats paying him starting money to be on the bench… So I think it was smart for him to go… It's just the same thing he is doing in Seattle, he did here…Now I don't think any of us foresaw the amount of injuries and suckyness of the goon squad… But it has all played a part and contributed to this off year….

25. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM

JD, true about the Dodgers. I figured the Nats could beat Greinke but didn't like the Nolasco matchup or the Kershaw matchup.I said to NatsLady the Braves would have a tough weekend even though it was against the White Sox. Glad I was right about that as they lost 2 of 3.

27. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM

JD – ghost and I said all Friday and Saturday… Whe Mattingly started switching stuff, DJ just sat… That is where we lost this series… It's like DJ just handed it to them…Today we lost, we got our butts kicked but yesterday and Friday – considering we left so many on base, lack of runs, a heady manager comes in and plays chess with Mattingly instead of just taking the beating, and we win…It's a shame too becuz I remember DJ making comments in April/May about not having the LHPs to do some things… And it's like he has them now and still refuses to situational pitch…

28. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Yep, Zimmermann got rocked. Now we have Haren to look forward to. It just keeps getting better, doesn't it folks?! Sad, sorry team.

29. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Ghost, you can stop using binoculars to keep track of the Braves. Pretty soon – like probably the next week – the Hubble won't help.

30. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I think the league has adjusted to Rendon (I don't remember his last oppo field hit) … It's time for him to adjust…Ramos and Desi were guilty of going up and swinging from the knees… Ramos really ticked me off swinging at garbage outside the zone…

31. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Mrs. B. Sorry, the goon squad while really having a bad year has very little to do with our lack of success. The issue is the every day players either having down years (Zim, Span,Suzuki) Harper not being the same since he injury and ALR reverting back to the average player he has always been and the bottom of the rotation completely falling apart with injuries and ineffectiveness.

32. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Gotta wonder was this a bad game for Jordan ala SS right before the break… Or is it something wrong with his neck…He was seriously missing locations today… Plus the Dodgers seemed like they knew what was coming…I swear sometimes I wonder what our coaches/scouts do…

33. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I think re: Morse, people greatly overvalue the impact one player can have on a team. Morse is not going to turn this team into the 2012 Nationals. Morse was a FA after this season. He was going to leave after this season anyway. So would't it be best to get something for him? That's what good teams like the Rays do. Especially when that something is a guy who most analysts still really like (AJ Cole) and a guy who, in granted limited sample size, has really impressed as a lefty out of the bullpen?

34. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

JD said… Ghost,I know. The best team $215 mil can buy. They are so reminiscent of the 90's Yamkees. You throw enough money at it and your GM and coaches don't screw up you can win. I mean Joe Torre wasn't exactly a great manager. Before the season I noted their biggest acquisition was McGwire as their batting coach. They did "buy" their pitching with Greinke but the rest were trade acquisitions and the Ryu and Puig international signing. Remember Crawfor and AGonz were via the trade with the Red Sox with Beckett and Hanley was with the trade with the Marlins. They absorbed the big dollars on the trades but Greinke was the only big off-season Free Agent signing.Credit to Kasten but not sure how many 2-1 games they can win the playoffs.

35. Alex Howard - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

seasons over guys, lets look to 2014

36. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Mrs. B. Again to be fair, it's not Davie's fault that Desi, Tracy and Ramos couldn't knock Nolasco out on Friday and Werth and Desi failed to get a key hit against Greinke on Saturday. Although I did think at the time (Friday) that if Desi drops a bunt they aren't getting any one out.

37. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Goon squad is certainly contributing becuz when we had those line ups for 50/60 odd games where we were continually trotting 2/3 automatic outs… It didnt help…Certainly not blaming the lack of success on them solely but the bench is an issue too…And yes you are also right about our heavy hitters having down years…

38. Alex Howard - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM

how does rick eckstein still have a job…

39. Candide - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Cunegonde and I will be in our usual section 219 tomorrow night. Oh boy, we can hardly wait…

40. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

JD, RZim's arm, the bench and the combo of ALR's slow start, Espi's meltdown, Haren's inconsistency and no lefty relievers were costly.Add those up and there's probably 10 losses there then add to that the poor managing by Davey. It's true Davey doesn't swing the bats or pitch the pitches but he didn't use what he had to the best options.

41. Mr Baseball - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

It's good we are in a division with the Braves, Phillies, Mets and Marlins. We play terrible over the weekend and lose very little ground. What's the problem with Harper, he doesn't look like the same player since running into the wall at Dodger Stadium. Five strike outs in the last two games. He has to adjust to the pitch away from him and take the pitch to left. Remember oppo boppo!Also Lerners, continue to wear your red, "we are closer to being dead! I'll stay true and stay in blue. You can't win in the Phillies colors!

42. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

No JD – that part isn't… But you have to look at the situation and actually manage… DJ made terrible decisions this weekend… Biggest 1 being – if Hairston is bought in as a platoon since Span is struggling against LHPs, why in the hell do you have him PH against a RhP, when his stats aren't good against them….That is the probably the biggest mistake I really got pissed with… Also Storen facing a LHP when we HAD LHPS AVAILABLE… Using Stammen… Again. WHEN WE HAD LHPS AVAILABLE…I blame those first 2 losses on DJ… His management lost it…

43. pedrocerrano - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Great way to cap a ten game set that started with 8 scoreless innings against John Lannan

44. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Mrs. B, BABIP is catching up with JZIM. He had a crazy low number even going into this game which means he was lucky. I don't like Mc.Catty's pitch to contact philosophy for JZim and Stras. There were several occasions where the Dodgers hitters where at 0-2 and I don't get why Stras and JZim can't rear back and throw a 98 MPH fast ball up in that situation. When I started watching baseball pitchers like Seaver, Gibson etc always went for the jugular when they had you set up.

45. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

JD, I think you are right on the 2 strike counts. Get the K. The Kemp HR was a frustration pitch on the inside. Why go back there twice. Big mistake by Suzuki. Go back outside and worse case it's 2-2 count. The next hit was a clean single. The double after that would've been caught if RZim was at normal depth. The Hanley HR was a crusher. Bad pitch to a HOT hitter.

46. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

If thinks don't pick up this week I would seriously consider trading ALR and Soriano and it doesn't matter what comes back. Use the savings to sign Desi and JZim long term bring up TyMo and plant him at 1st base for the last 40 – 50 games and see if you have something. In the off season you can re-evaluate the Span decision and you can try to sign Shin Soo Choo.

47. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Agree, JD. Between the pitch to contact mantra and the china-doll treatment, I think Stras has developed an identity crisis.I would like to see all new coaches next year. This team just needs a fresh start. I wouldn't mind doing it sooner than next year for that matter.Who is out there for the Nats to hire as their next manager?

48. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My understanding of McCatty's philosophy is try to pitch to contact early and then with 2 strikes, go for the strikeout. Matt Harvey has said that's his philosophy too and it works for him.

49. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I also don't care for the pitch to contact thing… Never been my cup of team…Thought the Kemp HR came as a result of JZimm not getting the call from the pitch right before it…But yes, I do agree, I would have gone outside or in the dirt becuz I swear Kemp was expecting it…

50. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Ghost, What pisses me off is that both Stras and JZim have the big heater in their arsenals and they don't use them at all. I understand that as a starter you have to dial it down a bit or you won't be in there for more than 5 -6 innings. But it doesn't mean you can't rear back and throw the power pitch in key situations. When JZim pitched in relief in the playoffs he blew everyone away with serious heat so you now he has it.

51. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I will say this…. Man, if changing the hitting coach does that for the dodgers….Well… Maybe… We outta….

52. Mr Baseball - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

TexNatHow about Ryne Sandburg?

53. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Oh, Mrs B, the "goon squad", the regulars, the coaches, the manager, the pitchers, the bull-pen, the bat boys, the freekin grounds keepers, they are all contributing. This is a rats-back-end crappy year. We aren't going anywhere. So, quit wishing on that star up there. It isn't going to happen. Just sit back. Watch a game. Expect a loss, and when you get a win…enjoy it. When you get a win.

54. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I thought DJ was a genius when he trotted his SP to pitch relief…. But then EJax came in… Blew it to pieces… And alas… That forgettable night..

55. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

How can anyone enjoy a win when even after a win people come on here to remind us we'll probably lose tomorrow?

56. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

TexNat, My personal favorite is Brad Ausmus. Very articulate and intelligent young baseball guy. I agree with you that I wouldn't mind an entire new staff next year. I personally prefer a change in the off season so the new team can have spring training to get get acclimated and I don't think they will embarrass Davie by firing him.

57. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Mr. Baseball, I don' know anything about his managing career. What has he done?JD, RZim is the first baseman of the future, not TyMo. I would like to see him get some reps there this year so he isn't learning on the fly next year. Bring Danny up and give him one last chance at 2nd because Rendon will be at third and you have no other good options anyways.

58. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

David, That's the life of a baseball fan. This year is particularly tough because we so under performed and the division is there for the taking if we only played a little better.

59. Rabbit34 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

David P….that's why you really have to enjoy a win!

60. Mr Baseball - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

TexNatRyne was the Manager of the Year, in the Cubs organization and should have gotten the Cubs job. He is now the 3B coach for the Phillies and if Charlie Manuel steps down he may end up as the Phillis Manager.

61. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Ah. Sounds like an interesting prospect. As does Ausmus.

62. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

The Marlins haven't scored in 37 innings (going back to our game last week). So there's that.

63. JD - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Sandberg has been passed up too many times for my taste and in Chicago where he is a legend. It makes you wander how poorly he must interview to be skipped several times in Chicago. Really if everyone was available my 1st choice would be Girardi. What a job he's doing in NY with that rag tag lineup?

64. TexNat - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Yes. I'll take Girardi. And he can bring his second basemen while he is at it.

65. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I don't know that Girardi will become available. I know he will as of now, but I think the Yanks lock him up. I really like him if he is available though.

66. Mr Baseball - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

JDI think the reason Ryne was passed over in Chicago was because the Cubs brought in a new GM (the ex-GM of the Red Sox) and he wanted someone out of the Cubs organization and put his stamp on the team.

67. Gabor Mehes - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Enough of the Davey Johnson farewell tour. This team needs a young and tough coaching staff and a general manager in the Dombrowski, Billy Bean mold.

68. David Proctor - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Isn't Ryne supposed to take over for Cholly in Philly next year?

69. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I've been carrying the torch for Girarldi…. What he has been able to do with the Yanks is awesome, considering what they have been playing with…Sorry Rabbit… I'm a fan and have been since 2005… Will continue to be one after this year regardless of what happens… I don't need to come on a fan board just to read how the team is awful etc… Sorry I don't look forward to that… Just like I don't look forward to the constatnt they will lose tomorrow chit chat either… If that's your MO – cool… But it's not mine…

70. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Ugly game, ugly series. The Dodgers have excellent pitching, but still average 3.97 runs allowed per game. The Nats only scored 2, 1, and 2 against them. At home. After a break.The Marlins have more-or-less average pitching, allowing 4.24 runs per game. The Nats only scored 3, 1, and 5.The Phillies pitchers allow 4.38 runs per game. The Nats most recently scored 2, 2, 5, and 1 against them.League average scoring is hovering right around 4.1 runs per game. How many times did the Nats score more than 4 in their last 10 games? Twice. How many games did they win in that span? Two.Pitching blow-ups like today's aside, you simply can't win scoring 2, 2, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1, and 2.The Nats have been better than their Pythagorean W-L projection all season, but I fear the numbers are about to catch up with them.

71. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

JD, a lot of good points. JZim and Stras need to watch 2011 film of Verlander. He ramps up the heater in 2 strike counts. Even good pitch to contact which causes weak contact can drop in for hits.

72. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Sorry Jd…. My iPad died as I hit send… I owe you a drink…

73. SCNatsFan - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

My thoughts on Eck are how could a change hurt other then upsetting Davey. Not like we could get much worse.

74. Whack-a-Mule - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Mule Notes: -The Nationals had some excellent advance scouting on rookie phenomenon Yasiel Puig.Puig, who had been terrorizing everthing and everybody, came into Nats Park with a BA > .400and promptly went 0-for-9 (including 5 K's).This lead to his being on the bench today (along with the fact of a healthy Matt Kemp).Apparently, Puig has some Pedro Cerrano in him -"Fast ball, I hit it very much. Curve ball, bats are afraid."In his 9 AB's, he searched (and flailed) in vain for a heater.(One small thing done well.)

75. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My biggest complaint today was tge woman sittong in front of me kept talking to tge people to her sides.That by itself is not a problem.Just dont turn and lean to the one your talking to. Either way she would block the plate leaning right or tge pitcher when she leaned left.It took me 3 innings to get her to unders to talk looking straight ahead. She said Why? I explained to her the problem she looked cluelessAfter the 3rd, i suggested we trade rows. My friends and I showed them the problem moving our heads to talk.We then traded back and she was fine tge rest of the game.Dropped to 8-4 in my presense. Outside of Werth and Ross O everyone else might as well taken the day off

76. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM

What's truly amazing to me is that Gio is at the same EXACT ERA right now that he finished the 2012 season at which is 2.89!That's the model of consistency. Stras and JZim are fine. They have to learn and get better. The pitching is not the problem on this team although Davey has to use his bullpen to its strengths and Staymen just isn't a strength. What a performance by Ohlendorf. Clip and Krol have done well. I'm not down on Storen like some, I just believe Davey isn't using him properly. Abad did a good job today.

77. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Uptates we finally homered after 60 innings. Last 3 homers now are all by Werth. Not sure if last multi run homer was Buffalo on July 4, but seems that long ago.As for hitting with RISP since SD series we are now 6 for 72. .083. How bad does it have to get before a Nat pulls out is inner Howard Beale.I am waiting for a Howard to take over.

78. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I recall an interview with Nolan Ryan some years ago. he talked about his coaches always wanting him to 'pitch to contact,' strike out less batters and save his arm some. He always rejected that philosophy. he thought a strike out eliminated any possibility for the unknown: errors, bloops, swinging bunts, etc. Last year our pitchers had more K's and that helped cover up our defense — which last year was pretty good. This year, our defense is last in the National league and near last in the majors — but we're pitching to contact! oops! another mistake — we WANT the K this year and less balls hit to a shaky Zimm, and Rendon. This team is having a bad year — doing everything wrong — even giving out faulty pitching stategy.

79. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Well, let all the fanatical fans yell at me. But I'm watching the O's tonight, a team with phenomenal hitting and defense — sporting 5 gold glovers and one future gold glover. They're pitching has suddenly turned a corner. I'm going to watch a team whose manager has his lineup set up just right, who is not afraid to play small ball when needed, and always seems to make the right moves. Angelos aside, the Orioles are the most fun to watch since '96 — but much of that team was store bought, this team is mostly home grown.

80. hiramhover - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM

MuleAgreed that they pitched Puig well but figuring him out wasn't rocket science. He's been known to swing when the ball girl throws a foul ball into the stands.

81. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM

So Haren pitches tomorrow… Need 6 strong innings from him… Esp since we aren't sure if this was an anomaly for JZ or he is hurt…Hopefully the bats can come alive… We are hitting, just need to follow it up with runs…

82. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Someone a while ago was saying that Harper was better than machado of Baltimore based on OPS+. Just looked up the stats and since this poster is all into Sabermetrics, let me state the Holy Grail of Sabermetric People: the WARHarper's WAR: 1.9Machado WAR: 5.1Oh yeah, this was Doug Proctor who was espousing his specious logic. HahaNot that I don't think Harper will be real good one day, but comparing his to Machado as of today? It is what it is. It's WAR!!

83. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Haren tomorrow? Oh brother! Can he put together two quality starts in a row? We'll see. But we're playing Pittsburgh, a weak hitting team. Weak hitting teams tend to feast off of slow, sloppy guys like Haren. It's the powerful, free swinging teams that get tied up in knots with a junkballer like Haren. But Pittsburgh may feast on him.We'll see

84. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM

NatsFanSinceStart said… I recall an interview with Nolan Ryan some years ago. he talked about his coaches always wanting him to 'pitch to contact,' strike out less batters and save his arm some. He always rejected that philosophy. he thought a strike out eliminated any possibility for the unknown: errors, bloops, swinging bunts, etc.After today I am going to do a subtle flip-flop on the pitch-to-contact.I think Nats pitchers on 0-2 and 1-2 counts need to complete the strike outs. Today was the perfect example of what goes wrong in those 2 strike counts when you get too much of the plate and especially when the other team knows what's coming.

85. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Phil Wood on his show last night seems to think the Lerners will want a manager with MLB managing experience. That leaves out Randy Knorr and the rest of the current staff. Names floated out as possibilities included Ron Gardenhire, Willie Randolph, Bob Boone and Ray Knight. Joe Girardi and Bo Porter would also qualify. So would Manny Acta and Jim Riggleman. I could see the Lerners hiring Acta, but not Riggleman,

86. slidell2 - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I haven't joined the LOD yet; but I'm beginning to consider it. The primary reason for delay is the almost-as-pathetic play of the Braves.If we do well head-to-head with them, anything's possible. I'm not enough of an expert to be able to put my finger on the problem, though I have long felt that Davey is part of it, whatever he did 20 years ago. His mismanagement of the 2012 post-season was an ominous sign.Right now I'm trying to relax and enjoy myself, happy to be watching baseball, ever hopeful, much like I did with the '50s and '60s Senators and the pre-2012 Nats.

87. Nats106 - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Manassas Nats' Fan said… I am waiting for a Howard to take over. Manassas, I sure hope you don't mean a Mo Howard, or a Curly Howard or a Shemp Howard. I think we already have that.

88. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM

GYON – I have been trying to wonder/remember if B Porter was told by the Lerner's/Rizzo if he wasnt in the plans of for the manager in waiting gig…I was hoping that they would have locked him up and told him to sit tight cuz the ship is yours when DJ leaves… But I don't remember how the conversation, reportedly, went…But I like Girardi… I want a younger manager…

89. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Could you imagine a team with Nats pitching and Oriole's hitting.

90. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

A pet peeve of mine, why will at least one post a paraphhrase "i wonder if he is hurt?" Eery time a pitcher pitches poorly.We do not say everytime a hitter has a bad game.Just a pet peeve.

91. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I will look once careers sre over. Both will be fine.

92. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM

He has pitched fine lately.My concern is the hitting not the pitcher.

93. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Welcome back. Almost nothing negative can happen with a k.Too many bad luck things can happen (and with our hittings we can notafford bad luck)I do believe this philosophy is why our putching is just a little worse than last year.

94. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I would have no problem with Knight, Gerardi or Randoph (in that order)

95. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

No Howard Beale. From the movie Network

96. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Hire Big Cat

97. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

There was no such conversation with Bo Porter. MLB teams don't tend to do the "manager in waiting" thing. And there are only 30 of those MLB manager jobs around. If you're not already an established manager and one of the 30 jobs gets offered to you, you don't turn it down in favor of some future promised opportunity. You take the open job before they offer it to someone else.

98. Ghost Of Steve M. - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Any manager is going to have to get the blessing of Jayson Werth. Girardi would be a great hire because he will be able to tell Rizzo exactly what he needs.

99. MrsB loves the Nats - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

MnF – I think it's fair to ask if JZimm was hurt… Especially given the discussion now about the neck…It could have been a bad day – pitchers do have them… But jZimm has been way better than that…I liked Porter and was so disappointed that he left but Houston is a serious dream job for him…I apwant Girardi now… But I'm not sure the Yanks will let him go…

100. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

The yankees have stayed tough despite all the injuries. Cashman would be crazy to fire Girardi, but if he does, go for it.

101. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM

He has talked about the neck all season, and that has not effected the pitching, do I wouldn't think it did today either.

102. Get Your Re(n)d On - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Girardi's contract is up this year. The Yankees don't have to "let him go." They have to convince him to stay. "Don't you want to be here, Joe, when we sign Lyle Overbay's replacement? What do you mean, not really?"

103. Secret wasian man - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My pick would be Buttermaker From bad news bears. But he passed away. So I like Ray Night.

104. Almazar80 - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM

I still think Rizzo built a real contender here in D.C. (Not really, but most people think that he's a genius).

105. SonnyG10 - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

If they hired Ray Knight as manager, we wouldn't have to listen to him do color when FP is away :)

106. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I thought he had 1 more year thanks for correction.

107. Manassas Nats' Fan - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Maybe they hire me to do that.

108. NatsFanSinceStart - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Almarzar ; Rizzo did build a contendere here; of course it helps when you get two consecutive #1 picks plus a handful of other low picks — He made a lot of moves: some good, some stinkers. But on balance, I think, he did a great job. I mean 98 wins last year — most in the Majors: Kudos to Rizzo. Then came the winter of 2012/13 with Rizzo raging with pennant fever starts wheeling and dealing. And right at the pinnacle of success, he blows it, trading away key talent, acquiring the wrong people, and letting his bullpen weaken. I like Rizzo. But this is like a Greek Drama: one year he's GM of the Year; the next Year he's a Fool.

109. Almazar80 - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

It's a tragedy, then, that Rizzo managed to improve the team out of contention.

110. Almazar80 - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Haren, after the injury break, has been pretty good so the Nats may actually win tomorrow. Assuming they actually score, which is like waiting for rain in the desert. Yes, it happens, but the place is still parched.

111. VP81955 - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I'd still like to see Mike Scioscia as the Nationals manager for 2014. The nucleus here is younger than in Anaheim, and I think he could guide this team back into sustained contention.