Jul 21, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Game in a nutshell: If you thought Friday and Saturday night's 3-2 and 3-1 losses were aggravating, what do you consider this demolishing in the final game of a brutal series? Jordan Zimmermann got rocked, giving up seven runs in the second inning alone. That left the rest of the Nationals needing to score a touchdown against Clayton Kershaw. Good luck with that. If not for Jayson Werth's two solo homers, Kershaw tossed a seven-inning no-hitter against the Nats, striking out nine without issuing a walk. Ross Ohlendorf did manage to turn in the equivalent of a "quality start" out of the bullpen, giving up two runs over six innings in relief of Zimmermann. But that was a grasp at a silver lining on an otherwise miserable afternoon at the ballpark. Having been swept by L.A., the Nationals now have lost eight of 10 overall and have fallen to two games under the .500 mark with 64 to play.
Hitting lowlight: Believe it or not, there was a highlight. Actually, there were two of them: Werth's homers off Kershaw. Otherwise, the Nationals did absolutely nothing at the plate against theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins