Jul 21, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Game in a nutshell: If you thought Friday and Saturday night's 3-2 and 3-1 losses were aggravating, what do you consider this demolishing in the final game of a brutal series? Jordan Zimmermann got rocked, giving up seven runs in the second inning alone. That left the rest of the Nationals needing to score a touchdown against Clayton Kershaw. Good luck with that. If not for Jayson Werth's two solo homers, Kershaw tossed a seven-inning no-hitter against the Nats, striking out nine without issuing a walk. Ross Ohlendorf did manage to turn in the equivalent of a "quality start" out of the bullpen, giving up two runs over six innings in relief of Zimmermann. But that was a grasp at a silver lining on an otherwise miserable afternoon at the ballpark. Having been swept by L.A., the Nationals now have lost eight of 10 overall and have fallen to two games under the .500 mark with 64 to play.
Hitting lowlight: Believe it or not, there was a highlight. Actually, there were two of them: Werth's homers off Kershaw. Otherwise, the Nationals did absolutely nothing at the plate against theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants