Jul 23, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
During an otherwise miserable few weeks for the Nationals, Jayson Werth has suddenly become one of the most productive hitters in baseball, posting numbers few believed he was capable of at this stage of his career.
With back-to-back, two-homer games, Werth put a definitive stamp on his hot streak, which now stretches back a full month. In 25 games since June 23, he's hitting .379 with seven homers, 20 RBI, a .456 on-base percentage and 1.134 OPS, impressing teammates and members of the Nationals coaching staff.
"It's great to see that," first baseman Adam LaRoche said. "He's always had that kind of power. You watch him take BP and do it every other swing, so to now put it into play in the game is great. He's a guy that prides himself on taking a lot of pitches and going deep into counts, and I think he's kind of now picking and choosing some spots to kind of be a little more aggressive and show thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies