Jul 23, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
During an otherwise miserable few weeks for the Nationals, Jayson Werth has suddenly become one of the most productive hitters in baseball, posting numbers few believed he was capable of at this stage of his career.
With back-to-back, two-homer games, Werth put a definitive stamp on his hot streak, which now stretches back a full month. In 25 games since June 23, he's hitting .379 with seven homers, 20 RBI, a .456 on-base percentage and 1.134 OPS, impressing teammates and members of the Nationals coaching staff.
"It's great to see that," first baseman Adam LaRoche said. "He's always had that kind of power. You watch him take BP and do it every other swing, so to now put it into play in the game is great. He's a guy that prides himself on taking a lot of pitches and going deep into counts, and I think he's kind of now picking and choosing some spots to kind of be a little more aggressive and show thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals